Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jasmine Guy

I've always liked Jasmine Guy as an actress and I think she is really overlooked. I wonder why they never tried to do a spin-off of her Whitley character from A Different World? I think that would have made a funny show.

by Anonymousreply 56September 14, 2018 7:43 PM

I think she tried to pursue music and failed miserably. BTW a spinoff for A Different World was planned with Jada Pinkett's character and her friends moving off campus but never went beyond a backdoor pilot (the last episode of ADW).

by Anonymousreply 1August 23, 2015 1:47 PM

Jasmine Guy is a raving homophobe and hates white people.

by Anonymousreply 2August 23, 2015 1:50 PM

Are you bored r2?

[quote] BLADE: With all your work in the entertainment industry, you must have worked with a lot of gays over the years. True?

[quote]GUY: Oh absolutely. I mean, you know, my world is full of gay people. I’ve been so entrenched in the gay community that it has never been a second thought to me. We are all family and because of that, I’m even more sensitive to what my gay friends go through. I’m 51, so I lived through AIDS and although I was very young when AIDS came to be, that’s when I first realized how segregated the gay community was for the rest of the world. Sometimes you forget that the world is not accepting and it takes something bad like the AIDS epidemic for you to realize. That’s when I started to realize my gay friends were heroes in their own right for having the courage to live the lives they know they want and the need and fight for the right to do that. And I don’t use that word fighting lightly, you know. I have friends who have fought all their lives, physically and emotionally. Some who have not had the support of their families.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 23, 2015 1:56 PM

I wonder what Cosby stories she has to tell....

by Anonymousreply 4August 23, 2015 2:10 PM

I don't know about her career OP, but I do know that a lot of relationship breakups have happened on the lawn of her house. Just ask around. If Jasmine Guy is around, that is like the kiss of death for your relationship.

Gwen Stefani and her husband broke up on the front lawn of Jasmine Guy's house . The same thing for Megan Fox and BAG.

by Anonymousreply 5August 23, 2015 2:17 PM

[quote]Jasmine Guy is a raving homophobe and hates white people.

I heard that Jasmine was a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 6August 23, 2015 3:58 PM

Julia Roberts CHOSE the front yard of Jasmine Guy's house to break-up with Jason Patric in the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 7August 23, 2015 3:59 PM

For some reason, she lives in Atlanta and complains that people want her to work for free all the time. It's an unfair biz for sure; no reason she couldn't just move from show to show but they "retire" actors whether they want to be retired or not.

by Anonymousreply 8August 23, 2015 4:04 PM

There really would have been no point to a Whitley spin-off since Whitley became the main female star of A Different World when Lisa Bonet left. I was surprised it worked since Whitley was one-note and a bit grating in the first season but the show actually got better once Bonet left and Debbie Allen helped retool the show. The chemistry between Whitley and Dwayne was great.

by Anonymousreply 9August 23, 2015 4:07 PM

I agree, R9. I love the episodes with Diahann Carroll playing her mother. That was perfect casting and the two had great chemistry together.

by Anonymousreply 10August 23, 2015 4:13 PM

[quote]There really would have been no point to a Whitley spin-off since Whitley became the main female star of A Different World when Lisa Bonet left.

The point would be Whitley trying to make it in the world outside of college. I know that this was tried in the last season or two of ADW, but the show still centered around college.

by Anonymousreply 11August 23, 2015 4:17 PM

Girl's gotta work, I guess -- for peanuts. Atlanta is such a pitiful market; don't let anyone tell you differently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 23, 2015 4:49 PM

She did well in "Dead Like Me". They threw a sassy black woman role at her and she fleshed it out.

It's just unfortunate that death, breakups, and Bai Ling attach themselves to Ms. Guy's homes.

I imagine she moves with a crate containing grave dirt from Bai's homeland.

by Anonymousreply 13August 23, 2015 4:59 PM

I also liked her in "Dead Like Me." Not only was she sassy, but she was tough. Didn't she play like a police woman or security guard or something? I thought she did well distinguishing it from Whitley. It wasn't just a sassy black woman, it had a balls-to-the-walls edge to it.

by Anonymousreply 14August 23, 2015 5:15 PM

What else went down at Jasmine Guy's house?

by Anonymousreply 15August 23, 2015 5:22 PM

R15, glad that you asked.

Stedman and Oprah discussed the direction of their relationship at Guy's house. They didn't break up but it was close.

Ben Affleck and Jennifer G decided to get a divorce while on the lawn of Guy's house.

Terrence Howard is becoming the most popular visitor at Guy's house. All of his numerous breakups have been discussed on her property.

Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon also broke up at Guy's house.

by Anonymousreply 16August 23, 2015 7:32 PM

If she hates white people, then she must hate her mother. Troll somewhere else, jackass at r2.

by Anonymousreply 17August 23, 2015 7:35 PM

lol, where is this all coming from that people break up at her house? This is the funniest thing I've read all day, and I'm a writer.

by Anonymousreply 18August 23, 2015 7:39 PM

r18, Jasmine Guy's front lawn is ground zero for celeb drama baby!

Anyway, I wonder if Jasmine has ever been approached to be a Real Housewife of Atlanta.

by Anonymousreply 19August 23, 2015 8:11 PM

Rumor has it that Joe Biden will announce his POTUS run from Jasmine Guy's front lawn.

by Anonymousreply 20August 23, 2015 10:00 PM

Josh Dugger ass-plowed a gay-for-Ha-i-ayyy trannie in Jasmine Guy's gazebo.

He pronounced it "ghazi-Boh". What a shit.

by Anonymousreply 21August 23, 2015 10:38 PM

She always seemed to have a limited range as an actress.

by Anonymousreply 22August 23, 2015 10:41 PM

R20, I heard that as well.

I also heard that the next POTUS will be sworn in on her front lawn.

by Anonymousreply 23August 23, 2015 11:35 PM

A new show has been added to the Fall lineup and will be announced on Jasmine's front lawn. It will star Jasmine and Chaz Bono. It will be called "Jas and Chaz." Basically it's a reality show where Jasmine harangues Chaz. "Why don't you drink less beer?" "Why don't you call your mother?" "Why don't you grow a penis?" Suck it Kardashians, Jas and Chaz are the new stars of the reality world.

by Anonymousreply 24August 24, 2015 1:44 AM

She played a great cunt on Melrose Place

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 24, 2015 1:53 AM

She was bounced from the Broadway show THE VIOLET HOUR for bizarre behavior onstage during a preview performance (slurred speech, slow cue-pick-ups, forgetting her lines, calling one character by the wrong name) so I assume the reason her career never took off is that the drug problem existed back when she was in her prime and only got worse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 24, 2015 2:00 AM

Re: her quote at R3 - what a cunt!

by Anonymousreply 27August 24, 2015 2:26 AM

Just try me....try me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 24, 2015 2:29 AM

WHO!?

by Anonymousreply 29August 24, 2015 3:09 AM

It wasn't her lawn, it was just in front of her house. I should know. I made it up years ago.

by Anonymousreply 30August 24, 2015 3:15 AM

R24 That gave me a well needed laugh today.

What's with the Jasmine Guy's lawn bit?

by Anonymousreply 31August 24, 2015 3:20 AM

Didn't farrah shit on her lawn?

by Anonymousreply 32August 24, 2015 3:31 AM

I don't know r32 but I know Fergie pissed on it.

by Anonymousreply 33August 24, 2015 3:34 AM

Toured in Chicago and, briefly, did it on broadway. Never heard any horror stories.

by Anonymousreply 34August 24, 2015 3:36 AM

She's had a recurring part on Vampire Diaries since the first season...playing a grandma.

by Anonymousreply 35August 24, 2015 3:41 AM

I loved her on MP. 1 of only 3 black actresses on that show in its entire run.

by Anonymousreply 36August 24, 2015 3:41 AM

I quit Scientology in front of Jasmine's house.

by Anonymousreply 37August 24, 2015 4:44 AM

The track and video at r28 are fabulous. She really could've had a career as a singer/dancer/actress.

by Anonymousreply 38August 24, 2015 5:15 AM

I did anal 6 times on her lawn in the 6th month of 1996 hoping for a spin off show featuring my character six from blossom.

by Anonymousreply 39August 24, 2015 5:53 AM

R6, [quote]I don't know about her career OP, but I do know that a lot of relationship breakups have happened on the lawn of her house. Just ask around. If Jasmine Guy is around, that is like the kiss of death for your relationship.

Thank you for referencing one of the most non-sensical and yet epic threads in DL History.

Also, I was always happy to see Jasmine on The Vampire Diaries until they killed her off. Then kept bringing her back as a ghost. ... although a couple of seasons back they then killed her ghost.

by Anonymousreply 40August 24, 2015 5:59 AM

Sorry about the "quote" problem above but ....

Here is a link to the Jasmine Guy thread where we learned about the things that take place outside of Jasmine Guy's house ...

Note: The thread started out about Jason Patric and then went a little off the rails in a great way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41August 24, 2015 6:05 AM

The 'Jasmine Guy's house' legend didn't start on DataLounge, it was a weird detail first mentioned in the trashy Julia Roberts biography 'Julia: Her Life'. If you google Jasmine Guy Jason Patric or Jasmine Guy Julia Roberts you'll find it.

by Anonymousreply 42August 24, 2015 6:32 AM

I can believe R26. Look at her today, for starters. Now, I have wondered if her recent appearance/demeanor was due to health issues - but I've also wondered if a (prior) drug problem is to blame. Of course, drug-problems may lead to health problems.

And I have recently re-watched many of the earlier episodes of A Different World - and I noticed that "Whitley" sometimes had these spastic, hyped-up mannerisms that seemed ill-matched to the Whitley character. It caused me to wonder if Jasmine Guy had some off-screen drug habit. You can also see it a little in "School Daze" - I think at least one scene in that movie was edited to remove a part when Jasmine started to act a little too crackhead-ish. Like, calm down, Jasmine - the Jiga-Boos are not THAT evil.

I've wondered if her (assumed) problems started when she was still primarily a professional dancer. Was weight-control a motive for her taking drugs? I've also gotten bulimic vibes from her.

by Anonymousreply 43August 30, 2015 4:54 PM

She played evil angel in few episodes in Touched By An Angel, here's her final episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44August 30, 2015 5:47 PM

Didn't The Violet Hour kill her career?

by Anonymousreply 45August 30, 2015 7:02 PM

Isn't a ghost already dead? How do you kill a ghost?

by Anonymousreply 46August 30, 2015 7:04 PM

Didn't Jasmine go through a very ugly divorce? I recall reading some article saying her ex-husband took her to the cleaners and left her with nothing. She wasted a lot of good years that could have been spent revitalizing her career on getting rid of that bastard.

by Anonymousreply 47August 30, 2015 7:09 PM

I saw her in the show Chicago as Velma. She was great.

But she has had some mental/drug issues.

by Anonymousreply 48August 30, 2015 7:11 PM

In a different, better world, Dwayne Wayne would have been gay and Jasmine Guy his fag hag on "A Different World."

by Anonymousreply 49August 30, 2015 7:25 PM

Oh wow - I missed the link R26 provided the first time around. Yep, that would explain why her career has fizzled - or never quite thrived post-"A Different World". And here I was thinking that Halle Berry stole Jasmine's thunder and ruined her momentum when she (Halle) stole the lead part of the miniseries "Queen" from Jasmine's grasp. (The "Queen" situation - IIRC - marked the beginning of a certain dislike of Halle Berry that I held on to for years. In recent years, I've been trying to be a bit more "understanding" of The Hit-and-Run Queen.)

by Anonymousreply 50August 31, 2015 10:50 AM

Southern accent = nasal!

by Anonymousreply 51August 31, 2015 12:35 PM

Did Jasmine Guy and Debbie Allen had a falling out?

by Anonymousreply 52September 2, 2015 2:34 PM

Good question R52

by Anonymousreply 53September 2, 2015 7:47 PM

Why do you think they had a falling out?

by Anonymousreply 54September 6, 2015 2:36 PM

Cree Summer is awesome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55September 6, 2015 3:06 PM

I hated that bitch

by Anonymousreply 56September 14, 2018 7:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!