Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Myth of the Fag Hag and Dirty Secrets of the Gay Male Subculture

[quote]When we talk about gay male privilege, it's important that as gay men, we understand any of us could've been–or currently are–perpetrators of this culture, simply by being. In my earliest days of being out of the closet–and among women–I've definitely been that jerk in the room that feigned ignorance about female anatomy, that responded with a sneer when a discussion about women's bodies arose; I've been that young gay man that had his collection of divas who wore it better than the rest–pitted them against the collections of other gay guys. When this is your entire world, you misstep, you ride the identity to its outermost limits–and when it stops making sense, you reassess.

[quote]I used to have a best friend of over 20 years who had taken to calling his closest girlfriends the b-word and that c-word regularly. He had taken to screaming at them and insulting their bodies. When prodded about his disrespect, he'd dismiss it as humor. "God, can't you take a joke?" would be one of his favorite refrains. I say, "I used to," because sometimes you have to draw a line about who you keep in your life and who you don't. I couldn't stand to be around this kind of language any longer. Because as gay men, we actually have to find ways to empathize with our female friends, not use them as props to boost our own self-worth. It turns out even gay men objectify women–but dismiss such thoughts on the basis of their sexual orientation. Guys, no. "But, I'm gay!" can't be your excuse for anything, not in a world where entire industries now make concerted efforts to court our demographics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 22, 2020 3:15 PM

Is this yet another "all gay men are really bisexual/straight" thread?

by Anonymousreply 1August 22, 2015 10:36 PM

No, it's a "misogyny in the gay community" thread.

by Anonymousreply 2August 22, 2015 10:38 PM

This crappy article keeps being posted here. It's an old homophobic article. Give it a rest.

by Anonymousreply 3August 22, 2015 10:43 PM

WOMEN ARE RAPED AND MURDERED EVERY SINGLE SECOND OF EVERY DAY IN AMERICA! AIR CONDITIONERS ARE SEXIST! VIDEO GAMES ARE SEXIST! GIVE ME FREE MONEY NOW, SHITLORD! I HAVE UNPAID EMOTIONAL LABOR THAT I MUST BE COMPENSATED FOR!

by Anonymousreply 4August 23, 2015 3:56 AM

Women should come here and post their homophobic bullshit on a gay men's website. Why would that be considered inappropriate by gay men? I just can't figure it out.

by Anonymousreply 5August 23, 2015 4:04 AM

Gay. Male. Privilege? BBBBBWWWWWWAAAAAAA HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH

by Anonymousreply 6August 23, 2015 4:15 AM

R6 makes a fair point.

by Anonymousreply 7August 23, 2015 4:17 AM

I don't even begin to understand the article enough to resent it - word salad to me.

by Anonymousreply 8August 23, 2015 4:39 AM

[quote] I don't even begin to understand the article enough to resent it - word salad to me.

How perfectly passive aggressive, r8. For some reason, I imagine you said that in vocal fry to yourself as you typed.

by Anonymousreply 9August 23, 2015 6:55 PM

The HuffPo had a response, "The Myth of 'Gay Male Privilege'".

[quote] It may be true that straight women are unwelcome in gay bars or clubs (although, this has not been the case in my experience.) However, I remain unconvinced that the exclusion of straight people from gay spaces would rightly be called an example of "gay male sexism," or "gay male privilege." (...) Gay male spaces don't exist for the purpose of excluding straight women, or to make them feel "left out." The point of gay clubs is for gay people to come together and be around other gay people; because there is limited space, each straight woman there means one less gay person there. Moreover, he fails to elucidate why, exactly, so many straight women want to go to gay clubs -- this ties in to the author's general mischaracterization of the gay male-straight female relationship.

[quote] (...) The author himself unwittingly admits that the reason that straight women like gay clubs is that they objectify gay men (...)

[quote] The entire piece has a subtle flavor of the sort of homophobia once preached by some, supposedly radical, feminists: That gay men are gay because we hate women. This growing suspicion of mine was borne out when he actually (approvingly) quoted an article titled, "Are All Gay Men Secret Misogynists?" in the context of returning, yet again, to his complaint about how poor, straight omen are marginalized in gay spaces.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 24, 2015 8:38 PM

A more humorous response:

[quote]First I’ll start by parroting conservative articles about gay people, that there is a dirty secret in gay populations. You see, we hate women, we’re satanists, we eat da poo poo. We’re murderers. I know this because we once went to a party and met John Wayne Gacy, he was a murderer, aren’t gay people just crazy murderers?

[quote]As gay people we are beginning to enjoy some rights, we can potentially enjoy better salaries than women. When are these potentials kicking in? When are these rights actually beginning? Who knows, but when it happens we gays will be real jerks.

[quote]I dated an awful guy who made rape jokes. Gays are bad. Check your privilege.

[quote]Gay tv shows are bad role models, have you ever seen Will & Grace? Will and Jack always tell Grace she’s fat and that Karen is a drunk. Never mind that the show is a farce and the comedy stems from quips thrown on both sides. That Grace and Karen call Will and Jack “fags” doesn’t really fit into this essays theme so we’ll just leave it out.

[quote]Gay men are perfectly awful to women because we buy their albums and do free marketing for them, imagine that disrespect. Gay men even hired Jessica Lange to star in American Horror Story: Coven. They make her chew the scenery. They force aging female stars into roles as if they were STILL USEFUL. Gays should let the aging female stars be and fade away from existence as heterosexual culture would have it. Obviously, not hiring and writing for Jessica Lange would be the utmost of respect.

[quote]Listen, I don’t hate gays, I hate gay culture. I learned that from my grandma. She was robbed by a black man once and came home straight up telling us that black man made her racist, that she had a major problem with black culture. All that hip-hop, all that nonsense. Well I’m here to tell you the same about gay people, I mean culture.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 24, 2015 8:43 PM

Dial it back a bit R6

by Anonymousreply 12August 24, 2015 8:46 PM

This is so stupid. Bitchy queen humor needs to be appreciated and "fag", " bitch", and "cunt" are going to get thrown around, and not every gay man has hags to worry about offending.

by Anonymousreply 13August 24, 2015 9:00 PM

I never refer to female friends with the B word or the C word, and I am never misogynistic. This article speaks for the author of the article, perhaps.

by Anonymousreply 14August 24, 2015 9:36 PM

R13, I have none

by Anonymousreply 15August 24, 2015 9:44 PM

"But you don't act gay."

"It's a shame you're not straight."

"What a waste."

by Anonymousreply 16August 24, 2015 9:47 PM

Women sexually harass cute gays all the time - online, in person, etc. And they very often drop those lines at R16 upon discovering a cute guy is gay. It's like they feel entitled to be fucked by whoever they please, and if they don't get their way, the guys should be made to feel guilty about it.

by Anonymousreply 17August 24, 2015 9:54 PM

I had to dump a girl friend after she repeatedly said things like "well, at least you don't act gay", or the opposite, yet equally offensive (referring to my brightly colored T shirt and running shoes) "if I didn't already know you were gay, I would now". I mean I never said " you are far to old to be wearing a dress that short". though honestly, I thought it so loud, she may have heard it.

by Anonymousreply 18August 24, 2015 10:06 PM

Poor thing dropped an uncouth friend and tried to blame it on sexism. I'm not buying it. Defending an abortion clinic is checking your privilege. Policing the language of your buddies is not. He sounds like he is STILL a fucking sexist. You can always tell if a man is sexist because he treats his mother like furniture.

by Anonymousreply 19August 24, 2015 11:53 PM

Fag Hags are not a myth. They are simply much more rare than the media imply them to be.

by Anonymousreply 20June 22, 2020 2:11 PM

Yeah, gay men sometimes make tacky jokes about their female friends, but they’re usually the best friends these girls have. How many crazy girls out there have failed relationships and female friends who ghost them out yet still have a close gay male friend whose stuck with them through the years? It’s more common than you think.

Why don’t you write a think piece on toxic female friends and how they try to sabotage each other? But I get it. Gay men are evil and we’re going to pretend that women have no flaws.

by Anonymousreply 21June 22, 2020 2:38 PM

[quote] but they’re usually the best friends these girls have

As they say, "With friends like those, ..." You know the rest.

by Anonymousreply 22June 22, 2020 3:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!