Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

1990s fashions?

Just wondering - does anyone know any good sites for 1990s fashion? No particular preference. I'm writing something set in the mid 1990s and I'm having problems finding pictures of clothing that wasn't basically basic-Blossom (jesus, those hats...) or proto-Dawson's Crack. Hayulp!

by Anonymousreply 15June 18, 2020 4:40 AM

What else was there except guys with saggy jeans? I can't believe we lost a generation of men's asses - white and black - to this pernicious trend.

by Anonymousreply 1August 21, 2015 7:35 PM

See, now, what little I've found outwith the awfulness of Blossom/Clarissa/Moesha (yeah, I started on the Nickelodeon shows) tells me that there was a period where mens trousers *were* looser, but they somehow fit better. Weird.

by Anonymousreply 2August 21, 2015 7:39 PM

Do a Google image search for 90's sewing patterns. You'll find a wider array of what people were actually wearing. Some things that come to mind for women's clothes: huge white collars; tiny floral prints; gigantic earrings; lace collars; drop-waist jumpers; jumpsuits with very wide legs or ankles with bands; sheer, crinkly babydoll dresses work over a sold-color slip; shoulder pads; double-breasted everything; oversized shirts buttoned all the way up with a big brooch at the collar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 21, 2015 7:48 PM

I remember a lot of overweight women in mom jeans.

by Anonymousreply 4August 21, 2015 7:53 PM

Did someone mention Mom Jeans?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 21, 2015 7:56 PM

Watch "My So Called Life" on Youtube. That show had the best representation of teen life and dress.

by Anonymousreply 6August 21, 2015 8:15 PM

Also, OP, keep in mind that people wouldn't wear clothing exclusively of the time period you're writing about it. In the mid-90s most people — excluding the fashion-obsessed — would still be hanging on to a few items from the late 80's and mixing them with newer things. In addition to patterns, Spiegel and Sears catalogs will give you a good idea of what working and middle-class people were wearing.

by Anonymousreply 7August 21, 2015 8:20 PM

Chartreuse was popular. And those hideous blocky shoes for women.

by Anonymousreply 8August 21, 2015 8:21 PM

I blame 90s "fashion" with its oversized proportions for the current obesity epidemic. Seriously, it was the decade that gave people license to get enormously fat. It was also the time when The Gap and other brands began irregular sizing: standard size XL became L, women's 8 became 4 or 6, etc.

It's easy to laugh at 1980s excess, but the 90s were truly the nadir of fashion and style.

by Anonymousreply 9August 21, 2015 8:22 PM

Grunge was huge. In fact, Marc Jacobs put it on the runway, to very bad reviews. Seattle was the in city, and people went for its look and sound.

by Anonymousreply 10August 21, 2015 8:28 PM

Mock-neck turtlenecks; pleated chinos; jeans worn high with shirts tucked in; men's shirts with wide vertical stripes; denim shirts worn with ties; oversized double-breasted jackets; pleated khaki shorts with Polo shirts; Unbuttoned shirts with sleeves rolled up worn over a tucked-in t-shirt; paisley or other patterned shirts in eggplant, mustard, and olive green; white sneakers; black leather blazers; leather varsity and bomber jackets

by Anonymousreply 11August 21, 2015 8:32 PM

Men's business: rip-offs of Armani with padded shoulders and monk-srap shoes.

Men's casual: look at Seinfeld. Jerry infected every asshole in the US. or you coukd examine anyone out of rehab- white tennis shoes, flowy dark button-down shirt, leather bomber.

Women: watch CHARMED and BUFFY.

by Anonymousreply 12August 21, 2015 8:44 PM

OP, did you ever finish what you were writing?

by Anonymousreply 13June 18, 2020 4:17 AM

R10 I remember a terrible fashion spread with Christy Turlington and Meghan Douglas wearing that stuff.

by Anonymousreply 14June 18, 2020 4:38 AM

Stuff I remember: Airwalk shoes, stadium jackets, chokers, shell necklaces, lots of plaid, sunflower prints, girls wearing slip dresses with t-shirts underneath

by Anonymousreply 15June 18, 2020 4:40 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!