Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"I'm a Bisexual Homoromantic"

WASHINGTON - Shots were fired outside a church in southeast D.C. on Tuesday morning, and one person is dead, FOX 5's Paul Wagner reports.

Police are at the scene, which is located outside St. Luke Roman Catholic Church on East Capitol Street SE.

It’s arguable that celebrities such as Stewart are part of the reason for those parameters becoming less essential, at least in the west. It shouldn’t fall to famous people to define our social attitudes but, simply, visibility matters: if it is not seen as outrageous or transgressive that the star of Twilight will hold hands with her girlfriend in the street, then that, in a very small way, reinforces the normality of it. If Cara Delevingne tells Vogue that she loves her girlfriend, then that, too, adds to the picture. The more people who are out, the more normal it becomes; the less alone a confused kid in a small town looking at gossip websites might feel; the less baffled the parent of a teenager who brings home a same-sex date might be. Combine that with the seemingly unstoppable legislative reinforcement of equal rights, too – gay marriage becoming legal in Ireland, in the US – and suddenly, it seems less “abnormal”, less boundary-busting, to fall in love or lust with someone of the same gender.

“I would describe myself as a bisexual homoromantic,” says Alice, 23, from Sussex. For the uninitiated, I asked her to explain. “It means I like sex with men and women, but I only fall in love with women. I wouldn’t say something wishy-washy like, ‘It’s all about the person,’ because more often it’s just that I sometimes like a penis.” She says her attitude towards sex and sexuality is similar among other people in her peer group. “A lot of my friends talk about their sexuality in terms of behaviour these days, rather than in terms of labels. So they’ll say, ‘I like boys’, or ‘I get with girls too,’ rather than saying, ‘I’m gay, I’m a lesbian, I’m bisexual.’”

She says that even among those who exclusively date people of the same gender, there is a reluctance to claim an identity as proscriptive as “gay”. “Most young people who are gay don’t see it as a defining property of their character, because they don’t have to, because society doesn’t constantly remind them of their difference.” However, she is careful to point out that this is very much the case in the small, liberal part of London where she lives now. “[Not defining] is something I feel entitled to as a person who lives in London, but I didn’t feel entitled to it in a small town in the home counties. I’ve never experienced discrimination about my sexuality, but I’m aware that it’s because I ‘pass’ [as straight].”

She says that even among those who exclusively date people of the same gender, there is a reluctance to claim an identity as proscriptive as “gay”. “Most young people who are gay don’t see it as a defining property of their character, because they don’t have to, because society doesn’t constantly remind them of their difference.” However, she is careful to point out that this is very much the case in the small, liberal part of London where she lives now. “[Not defining] is something I feel entitled to as a person who lives in London, but I didn’t feel entitled to it in a small town in the home counties. I’ve never experienced discrimination about my sexuality, but I’m aware that it’s because I ‘pass’ [as straight].”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31July 2, 2020 10:32 PM

In fact, the word queer, once the defiant reclamation of a homophobic slur, has become a ubiquitous term. While the young people I spoke to were largely resistant to the word “bisexual”, even if they are sleeping with both men and women, they used “queer” easily and freely. “Among our callers and our volunteers, more and more people are identifying as ‘queer’, particularly among younger generations,” says Natasha Walker, a trustee of the LGBT+ Helpline, which recently changed its name from the London Lesbian & Gay Switchboard in order to be more inclusive. “In the past, people were fighting for the right to be able to define themselves as lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans* etc. Although this is very much still the case, there is also a definite shift towards an acceptance of people as they are – label or no label.”

There is also some appeal in the radical roots of “queer”, particularly as same-sex desire becomes more usual: while mainstream assimilation makes discrimination less likely, it does run the risk of removing the “outsider” identity of gay life, which many are keen to preserve.

n fact, the word queer, once the defiant reclamation of a homophobic slur, has become a ubiquitous term. While the young people I spoke to were largely resistant to the word “bisexual”, even if they are sleeping with both men and women, they used “queer” easily and freely. “Among our callers and our volunteers, more and more people are identifying as ‘queer’, particularly among younger generations,” says Natasha Walker, a trustee of the LGBT+ Helpline, which recently changed its name from the London Lesbian & Gay Switchboard in order to be more inclusive. “In the past, people were fighting for the right to be able to define themselves as lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans* etc. Although this is very much still the case, there is also a definite shift towards an acceptance of people as they are – label or no label.”

There is also some appeal in the radical roots of “queer”, particularly as same-sex desire becomes more usual: while mainstream assimilation makes discrimination less likely, it does run the risk of removing the “outsider” identity of gay life, which many are keen to preserve.

n fact, the word queer, once the defiant reclamation of a homophobic slur, has become a ubiquitous term. While the young people I spoke to were largely resistant to the word “bisexual”, even if they are sleeping with both men and women, they used “queer” easily and freely. “Among our callers and our volunteers, more and more people are identifying as ‘queer’, particularly among younger generations,” says Natasha Walker, a trustee of the LGBT+ Helpline, which recently changed its name from the London Lesbian & Gay Switchboard in order to be more inclusive. “In the past, people were fighting for the right to be able to define themselves as lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans* etc. Although this is very much still the case, there is also a definite shift towards an acceptance of people as they are – label or no label.”

by Anonymousreply 1August 18, 2015 6:22 PM

EXCUSE US OP - WTF???? WASHINGTON - Shots were fired outside a church in southeast D.C. on Tuesday morning, and one person is dead, FOX 5's Paul Wagner reports. Police are at the scene, which is located outside St. Luke Roman Catholic Church on East Capitol Street SE.

by Anonymousreply 2August 18, 2015 6:31 PM

[quote] It’s arguable that celebrities such as Stewart

Stewart who? This makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 3August 18, 2015 6:39 PM

OP, you have really done it this time.

by Anonymousreply 4August 18, 2015 6:58 PM

I once knew a homosexual hetero-romantic. ONLY sexually attracted to guys, ONLY romantically attracted to women.

He was pretty miserable, and with good reason. He could not figure out a way to be himself.

by Anonymousreply 5August 18, 2015 7:47 PM

WASHINGTON - Shots were fired outside a church in southeast D.C. on Tuesday morning, and one person is dead, FOX 5's Paul Wagner reports. Police are at the scene, which is located outside St. Luke Roman Catholic Church on East Capitol Street SE.

#BisexualHomoromanticLivesMatter

by Anonymousreply 6August 18, 2015 8:02 PM

(rolling eyes at R6)

by Anonymousreply 7August 28, 2015 6:08 PM

"I'm a raging slut and whore!"

by Anonymousreply 8August 28, 2015 6:17 PM

me too

by Anonymousreply 9August 28, 2015 6:19 PM

Bisexual Homoromantic/Queer/Fluid/Heteroflexible/Open/Sexual/No Labels/I like boys and girls,... And on and on. What's with the desire to create a million different words to say 'bisexual'? They are just creating a hundred different labels to replace one label. Why the insistence on reinventing the damn wheel? I love how they think they're being so revolutionary: 'Oh, we define ourselves by our behaviour, not by using labels'. What the heck is the difference between saying 'I like boys and girls' and saying 'I'm bisexual'? I mean, besides the fact that one statement takes less time to say?

Ugh, I feel old and cranky. Get of my lawn, hippies!

by Anonymousreply 10August 28, 2015 6:46 PM

Bisexual heteronormative heteroromantics are more prevalent

by Anonymousreply 11August 28, 2015 6:52 PM

I love this post

by Anonymousreply 12August 28, 2015 7:05 PM

Really R12, this just seems like more of that ex-gay "no one young calls themselves 'gay' anymore" bullshit we went through a while back.

by Anonymousreply 13August 29, 2015 2:28 AM

I'm horny!

by Anonymousreply 14August 29, 2015 2:29 AM

R13, I love the botched messiness of the post, first line lifted from another article and all. I didn't mean the actual ideas behind it--I'm bored with this topic.

by Anonymousreply 15August 29, 2015 2:42 AM

But I don't like tags.

by Anonymousreply 16August 29, 2015 2:43 AM

Exactly R10, a lot of people who use the term pansexual do not understand the actual meaning of the word, and they're just simply using it as a term to avoid actually calling themselves bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 17November 30, 2015 8:44 PM

This topic is very boring -- I agree.

by Anonymousreply 18November 30, 2015 9:05 PM

uh huh dude

by Anonymousreply 19December 1, 2015 1:59 PM

What? A bisexual homoromantic went on a killing spree?

by Anonymousreply 20December 1, 2015 2:06 PM

Bisexual heteronormative heteroromantic Ninja-nun vampire arsonists who got off welfare and became Amway Scientologists in order to fight the oppressive military junta in Myanmar - next on Geraldo!

by Anonymousreply 21December 1, 2015 2:13 PM

Jesus Fucking H Christ...Shoot me now. Or preferably shoot her.

by Anonymousreply 22December 1, 2015 2:18 PM

I blame this violence on the Pansexuals. This shooter needs to fry.

by Anonymousreply 23December 1, 2015 2:59 PM

"I once knew a homosexual hetero-romantic. ONLY sexually attracted to guys, ONLY romantically attracted to women. "

You just described my best friend. He rejects the bi label even though he sometimes sleeps with the women he falls in love with. He's been living with his boyfriend for 13 years. He doesn't regard his behaviour/relationships with the women as cheating at all because he IDs as gay. The boyfriend of course has no idea, he doesn't see any problem with my friend's socializing with his female colleagues,going for drinks, etc. Puzzling existence.

by Anonymousreply 24December 1, 2015 4:20 PM

R24, you best friend is a cheating hypocrite. Nothing more.

by Anonymousreply 25December 1, 2015 4:40 PM

They are usually absolutely minging and just need to keep all options open to get laid at all.

by Anonymousreply 26December 1, 2015 5:42 PM

"I'm a Bisexual Homoromantic" ='s "I'm a dreary Cunt who loves the sound of my own voice"

by Anonymousreply 27December 1, 2015 6:42 PM

This calls for that old DL chestnut:

"She was a bisexual homoromantic, and then she died"

by Anonymousreply 28December 1, 2015 9:13 PM

Agreed r27. I adore conciseness of language. Easier to just say you like attention.

by Anonymousreply 29July 2, 2020 10:28 PM

Have I had a stroke?

by Anonymousreply 30July 2, 2020 10:29 PM

Kristen Stewart shot up a church?! And she is lez, but wants the fellas who buy tickets to think she might fuck them once, drunkenly.

by Anonymousreply 31July 2, 2020 10:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!