Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

That '70s Show

I was out of the country when it began.

When I got back everyone was telling me how great it was - then I saw it and it never hooked me at all. I didn't hate it, just never liked it very much and I'm not sure they caught the era.

What did you think of it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135May 7, 2020 9:45 PM

Correction: IT had its moments.

Sorry about that.

by Anonymousreply 1August 16, 2015 11:25 PM

How about adding the option "It stunk like an old Frye boot" to your crappy poll?

by Anonymousreply 2August 16, 2015 11:40 PM

It was a very unfunny show. I watched a few episodes and was mystified as to why others bothered.

by Anonymousreply 3August 16, 2015 11:43 PM

I will confess that Danny Masterson enhanced my vegging out, though I only watched when I couldn't sleep.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 16, 2015 11:56 PM

by Anonymousreply 5August 17, 2015 9:01 PM

I'm still amazed that Mela Kunis and Ashton Kutcher became the big stars from this.

by Anonymousreply 6August 17, 2015 9:03 PM

It was painfully obvious from the first time Mila Kunis stepped onto screen that she was going to be a star. She easily was the reason people watched and she stole every scene and easily out acted everyone else in it.

by Anonymousreply 7August 17, 2015 9:57 PM

I didn't start watching it until it had been in reruns for quite awhile. Now I've probably seen most of the episodes. I do think it's pretty funny sometimes. Mainly I watch it for the 70's fashion and decor. They're pretty accurate.

by Anonymousreply 8August 17, 2015 10:06 PM

The first season was excellent, the second season was very good, the third season was good, but by the fourth season they started to lose direction and the humor was forced. The other seaons got progressively worse. They should have just stopped after four.

by Anonymousreply 9August 17, 2015 10:11 PM

I loved Topher Grace. I wish he'd do TV again. I loved the circle, too. And Red's foot.

by Anonymousreply 10August 17, 2015 10:45 PM

I've always liked this clip

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 17, 2015 10:48 PM

Oh that's what Laura Prepon's face is supposed to look like? WTF did she do on OITNB because it's bizzare.

by Anonymousreply 12August 17, 2015 10:51 PM

I was going to say the same thing R9.

by Anonymousreply 13August 17, 2015 11:17 PM

Eric Foreman was the inspiration of many jerk off sessions.

by Anonymousreply 14August 17, 2015 11:19 PM

Any television show that features Topher Grace kissing JGL, and Wilmer Valderrama's big bulge and hot ass is worth tuning in to watch.

by Anonymousreply 15August 17, 2015 11:24 PM

The funniest person by far on the whole show was the actress who played Kitty. She was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 16August 17, 2015 11:48 PM

I liked the way Ashton Kutcher looked in it. He was pretty and had a face like a girl. I'd watch it with the tv on mute just to see him.

by Anonymousreply 17August 18, 2015 2:31 AM

Kitty was played by Debra Jo Rupp, who also played Phoebe's brother's 42 year old English teacher in Friends. After they ran off to marry, Phoebe served as a surrogate for their triplets.

by Anonymousreply 18August 18, 2015 2:40 AM

R15 Eric's gay kiss would have been better without a laugh-track and without Eric's overreaction. Eric is a straight character and not at all questioning and so his rejection & shock did make sense, but for him to follow it up with a moment of serious introspection about what Buddy's sexuality meant for their friendship would have made Eric more sympathetic a protagonist . Unfortunately writers went the other way, and Eric's phobic reaction to the kiss and his later silent treatment & avoidance of Buddy played for laughs comes off cruel now. But, such was America in 1999.

If someone cut the laugh track out of the scene and posted it on YouTube (like some do with Big Bang Theory clips), it would actually be an interesting moment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 27, 2016 3:04 PM

My sister loved this show. I didn't laugh once.

by Anonymousreply 20October 27, 2016 3:19 PM

I preferred the supporting cast - Red, Kitty, Midge, Laurie (1st one only - RIP Lisa Robin Kelly), and Leo.

The main cast was very uneven. I'd have to say Jackie was the funniest overall. I got tired of Kelso and Fez's schtick pretty quickly.

by Anonymousreply 21October 27, 2016 3:28 PM

R9 I agree pretty much. Season 4 and 5 were ok. But 6 and 7 weren't easy to watch. Awful fake Laurie and Randy sucked big time. I didn't like that they had Jackie end up with Fez.

by Anonymousreply 22October 27, 2016 3:35 PM

I thought Eric's parents and Donna's dad were the highlights of the show.

by Anonymousreply 23October 27, 2016 3:42 PM

The only episode I really enjoyed was when Red got baked on the brownies and was confronted in the kitchen by Eric and Hyde about selling the Vista Cruiser.

by Anonymousreply 24October 27, 2016 3:42 PM

I enjoyed the episode where Barry Williams and Christoper Knight (Greg and Peter Brady) played the gay couple next door.

by Anonymousreply 25October 27, 2016 6:27 PM

Never watched it much until it was on in reruns. I have always had a thing for Ashton Kutcher, eventually I realized that Topher Grace was pretty hot, and lastly I even started to think Danny Masterson was hot in a certain way. However Wilmer Valderrama has never sparked the slightest interest in me.

by Anonymousreply 26October 27, 2016 6:51 PM

[quote] I didn't like that they had Jackie end up with Fez.

^^^. Even Jackie & Kelso didn't make a whole lot of sense (how can two such huge narcissists notice one another?), but Jackie & Fez was jumping the shark and then some. It's obvious watching back that Jackie & Hyde made most sense in terms of character development and the best dynamic for progressing plot. That said, a new man for Jackie in S7 would have been welcome.

IMO Donna & Hyde had the most sexual tension and chemistry, but it was clearly more comfortable for the (straight) audience at home to see Hot Donna keep going back to stable Eric. A cool way to end one of the last (awful) seasons and swerve the audience would have been to have either Donna (or Eric, in a couple of guest episodes) question their sexuality and come out as gay, because neither of their characters went anywhere or changed significantly by those last seasons and because none of the main 6 characters (7, with Randy) were gay (what are the odds?).

by Anonymousreply 27October 27, 2016 9:07 PM

Donna would have been totally believable as gay. She was never feminine and it was comical watching Jackie try to talk to her about makeup and hair. Her role in OITNB is perfect for her.

by Anonymousreply 28October 27, 2016 9:39 PM

The series lasted for nearly 9 years, but not once did Foreman (the main protagonist) show us some disco moves a la Boogie Nights. There was a disco episode, but none of the characters got down once. Donna and Hyde had a slowdance to ABBA at a club once, and there were some disco points during those odd little stingers between scenes in some episodes, but aside from that there was not a Travolta move to be seen the entire series. Was it that these characters were too young to get into the clubs or know any of the moves? Or were they just too un/cool?

It's a shame as, like R26 points out, Topher Grace turned out to be good-looking beneath the tragic haircut and costume.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 28, 2016 10:10 PM

On re-watch, something is totally bugging me - it's never explained why Kelso or Jackie chose to visit Eric's basement so much.

The rest have clear reasons: Donna lives right next door and has an on-off thing with Eric, and is also said to be unpopular with other girls at school; Hyde has no stable home to go to (later no home at all), and has been friends with Donna & Eric since kindergarten so relies on them; and Fez takes advantage Eric's willingness to welcome him into the circle because, as a foreigner, he's anxious about his cultural assimilation. But Kelso & Jackie are both explicitly shown and stated as 'popular' and having other (wealthy, popular) groups of friends, are both vocally dismissive of Eric & pals, and don't need the basement as a sanctuary like the others . Kelso occasionally calls Eric his 'best friend', but this is hard to take seriously as he's fickle and given to exaggeration, while Jackie doesn't even show Eric any such appreciation until the last seasons and up until then outright abuses him and gives him nothing but shit for his hospitality (there are several moments she angsts about other students at their school finding out that she even knows Eric). It rings false that Eric, Donna or Hyde (especially Hyde) would put up with Kelso & Jackie long enough to befriend them, or that Kelso & Jackie would 'stoop' to the basement level and risk their social status for no reason. The only good guess is that the basement is a discreet place to get high with no risk of their parents finding out, and that Hyde (who is unscrupulous when it comes to helping other people score) hangs out a lot there, so Kelso & Jackie use Eric's place to cut loose and be less straitlaced.

For the purposes of the show it was necessity to have foils to 'losers' and misfits like Eric, Hyde and Donna, but it's a glaring unresolved problem that Kelso & Jackie lack a strong reason for spending time in the basement. Cliques were a thing for 70's teens, and moving past the boundaries of your designated social circle was a big deal. So why is Jackie the only character to ever acknowledge it? (Kelso is too stupid, perhaps?)

by Anonymousreply 30October 30, 2016 1:37 AM

Kitty Foreman was by far my favorite character. I like the actor who played Red but his character was too mean. My favorite episode was when the grown-ups got a hold of some hash brownies that the kids made and got fucked up. They did that rotating camera thing they did when the kids would get high; the show's main staple. It was hilarious! I loved this show.

by Anonymousreply 31October 30, 2016 1:42 AM

It was incredibly stupid and infantile, OP - how could you not have guessed such a thing immediately??

by Anonymousreply 32October 30, 2016 1:45 AM

[quote]OP: I was out of the country when it began.

Meaning

I was still in prison when it started.

by Anonymousreply 33October 30, 2016 1:49 AM

What was so great about That '70s Show is that the gang were just like me and all of my friends.

They were the first people I'd ever seen in a sitcom that I would actually hang out with! They were cool, mostly nerdy; smoking pot on a network TV show without shame or tragedy.

Plus Ashton Kutcher is so fucking hot. Valeraama is hot when he's not playing Fez.

by Anonymousreply 34October 30, 2016 5:17 PM

The show got bad, r9, when Kutcher and Grace decided they were too big for it.

But in all honesty, they probably didn't have enough ideas to do much more.

by Anonymousreply 35October 30, 2016 5:20 PM

They probably WERE too cool for disco, r29.

That 70s Show was mostly a showcase for ROCK music -- the theme song is rock; the singalongs and most of the music played is rock. There was a HUGE rivalry between rock and disco in the late '70s. Most people were either one or the other and bitterly hated the other.

I don't remember the rivalry shown like in Detroit Rock City or anything. I even remember an episode or two where the gang sneaks into a disco for fun. But clearly the creators and writers were culturally at-home with rock.

by Anonymousreply 36October 30, 2016 5:32 PM

Hated Jackie and Hyde together. Hyde was bad-ass and it was a total sell out move to have him be with Jackie. Would have loved Donna and Hyde together and had Hyde mature a bit and experience love after coming from such a broken background. Yes, Mary! I'm projecting.

by Anonymousreply 37October 30, 2016 5:33 PM

I agree, r30, that Kelso and Jackie being friends with the others rings false.

It was mostly done for drama and comic foiling. But a pot sanctuary is a believable excuse, and some high schools' jocks and cheerleaders are more mellow than others -- especially in working-class, Wisconsin towns.

Tons of Hollywood shows about high school and young adulthood depict members of opposing cliques all hanging out in the same clique. It doesn't happen in real life, but it makes for good fireworks.

by Anonymousreply 38October 30, 2016 5:40 PM

[quote]it's never explained why Kelso or Jackie chose to visit Eric's basement so much.

Both were rich kids and the other three (four if you count Fez) were middle class or poor. They were willing to endure Kelso's and Jacki's snotty and dismissive attitude in order to party at their places every once in a while. So the middle class and poor kids could benefit from their rich friends and the rich friends had a circle of friends they could use as punchingbags and feel superior. Not to mention Kelso enjoyed having a joint with the other guys (remember those chats while they are high?).

by Anonymousreply 39October 30, 2016 5:42 PM

I loved the show. They were all childhood friends from the neighborhood. The only one they weren't consistent about was Jackie. It seemed like Kelsey introduced her to the group when they stated dating, but in a flashback scene she was childhood friends with them too. I agree, the last couple of seasons, especially the last, were painful. It would be a good show to do a reunion.

by Anonymousreply 40October 30, 2016 5:52 PM

It was better than That 80s Show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 30, 2016 6:11 PM

I totally thought the guy in the new Smokey the Bear PSAs was Topher Grace.

But Grace's career is seeing even less action!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 30, 2016 6:28 PM

It was a good but not great sitcom that is mostly notable because it launched the careers of Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher.

by Anonymousreply 43October 30, 2016 6:38 PM

^^which just goes to show that the correlation between TV fame and movie fame is minimal.

by Anonymousreply 44October 30, 2016 6:40 PM

I loved it, mostly because of Topher Grace, whom I adore.

by Anonymousreply 45October 30, 2016 6:41 PM

It was the best sitcom of all time. For cool people.

by Anonymousreply 46October 30, 2016 6:44 PM

WEHT Topher Grace, btw?

He was in that movie "In Good Company" with Dennis Quaid about ten years ago, movie got excellent reviews, but then seems to have fallen into post-70s show obscurity.

by Anonymousreply 47October 30, 2016 6:46 PM

[quote]There was a HUGE rivalry between rock and disco in the late '70s. Most people were either one or the other and bitterly hated the other.

I hated disco, and some of the people who liked it, i.e., anyone who assumed I liked it just because I was gay. I don't mind it now, though, as it reminds me of the magical time between coming out in New York and the onslaught of AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 48October 30, 2016 6:47 PM

r47 Here's his IMDB page. He continues to work, but mostly in movies I've never heard of, and not in starring roles. The last thing I saw him in was the movie in which Robert Redford played Dan Rather. Also, he got married recently. To a woman.

I wish Topher would do another series.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 30, 2016 6:50 PM

Did you guys realize that Kurtwood Smith, the actor who played Red Forman, was the President of the United Federation of Planets in STAR TREK VI who almost got assassinated?

I only realized that recently, as I'm an Eric Forman dumbass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50October 30, 2016 7:02 PM

Thanks R49

by Anonymousreply 51October 30, 2016 7:03 PM

Red was the funniest character.

by Anonymousreply 52October 30, 2016 7:23 PM

I agree, R52. Hits very close to home.

For you......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53October 31, 2016 4:37 AM

The actor who played Rec also played Parker Stevenson's strict commander in North and South II

by Anonymousreply 54October 31, 2016 10:48 AM

The actor who played Red also played Parker Stevenson's strict commander in North and South II

by Anonymousreply 55October 31, 2016 10:49 AM

I grew up in Chicago and was born in 1974, but had older siblings and cousins who would have been about the same age as the characters on the show and can definitely say that Disco would not have been on the table whatsoever for white/blue collar/midwestern teenagers. It was all about rock and roll and 'Disco sucks'.

I think the pot explanation is completely valid for why Kelso and Jackie hung out in the Foreman's basement so much. My favorite character was Lisa Robin Kelly's Laurie, I loved her interactions with Topher Grace and really made for an authentic family dynamic with Red being almost intolerant of anything Eric did while simultaneously forgiving Laurie anything. When she left the show wasn't as strong. I did also watch for the beauty of Ashton Kutcher and agree that it was inevitable that Kunis would become big based on her performance on the show.

by Anonymousreply 56October 31, 2016 11:25 AM

[quote]My favorite character was Lisa Robin Kelly's Laurie, I loved her interactions with Topher Grace and really made for an authentic family dynamic with Red being almost intolerant of anything Eric did while simultaneously forgiving Laurie anything

This -- I forgot about this, which rocks...

by Anonymousreply 57October 31, 2016 11:33 AM

R28 ikr? It should have been finally obvious to writers what was Donna all about when she got excited about Samantha's powderblue Trans-Am. That scene is also great for lampshading the Jackie-Donna friendship, i.e., how it is founded on nothing but the comfort of familiarity.

Jackie screaming 'stripper!' and 'whore!' at Samantha is DL-iconic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58October 31, 2016 7:29 PM

It's weird but I think it started to decline when Midge left. She was a secondary character, but it wasn't the same for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 59October 31, 2016 8:00 PM

RIP, Laurie. ..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60November 1, 2016 12:17 AM

Lisa Robin Kelly's Laurie was such a terrific antagonist, not just for Eric, but for the group in general.

by Anonymousreply 61November 1, 2016 10:01 AM

The only good thing about this show is that they got Barry Williams and Christopher Knight to play gay lovers.

by Anonymousreply 62November 1, 2016 10:12 AM

And the actor who played Red was also on Robo Cop

by Anonymousreply 63November 1, 2016 11:32 AM

I like the real 1970s shows better. This one made a star out of philandering douchebag.

by Anonymousreply 64November 1, 2016 11:36 AM

[Quote] This one made a star out of philandering douchebag.

Ashton??

by Anonymousreply 65November 1, 2016 11:46 AM

[quote]I didn't hate it, just never liked it very much and I'm not sure they caught the era.

Most 1970s pastiches have fallen flat because they just can't get the right balance of weed smoke, smog laced with lead, polyester fumes, and cheap mass-produced wine. They also forget how much of the culture of the 1970s was pastiche of the past, and that there were a lot of attempts to artificially recreate things that were big in the 1960s expecting them to be just as big while forgetting no one knew just how big the things they were copying would be. That's why I never cared for this show and have become utterly bored to tears by any show that obsessed with the sexual politics of heterosexual couples of any age. Where's the TV show about being gay in the 1970s?

by Anonymousreply 66November 1, 2016 12:43 PM

How old was Mila when she first started fucking Ashton?

by Anonymousreply 67November 1, 2016 12:52 PM

Had its moments. Like this one:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68November 1, 2016 12:58 PM

I always wondered why the character of Jackie Burkhart spoke with a Russian accent when she was supposed to be a born and bred American. Now I know it's because she was actually Russian, but I still think she was miscast.

by Anonymousreply 69November 1, 2016 1:21 PM

It didn't capture the era. The three-camera setup didn't help.

by Anonymousreply 70November 1, 2016 1:57 PM

I liked the scene where Eric was high and his parents were yelling at him, and the wall behind them began to rock back and forth.

by Anonymousreply 71November 1, 2016 3:24 PM

Wilmer Valderrama as "Fez" always gave off a major gay vibe.

by Anonymousreply 72November 1, 2016 6:42 PM

[quote]philandering

That '70s Word.

by Anonymousreply 73November 1, 2016 7:11 PM

r66 WW for your last sentence.

by Anonymousreply 74November 1, 2016 7:13 PM

R66, it helps to think of it as like a lurid, cheery, Nickelodeon-esque imagining of the 70s seen through a 00s lens, or kids of a decade ago imagining what their parents were like growing up (akin to How I Met Your Mother). It's absolutely true to say that it's too expensive-looking and saccharine to capture the 70s and that it's a painfully dull teen sitcom cosplaying inside a thin premise...but perhaps an authentic reproduction of a 70s teenage life (especially a gay one) would be too depressing to get MTV-gen kids (or anyone) to watch. But hey, The Get-Down is doing well right now, so.

by Anonymousreply 75November 1, 2016 10:54 PM

Totally R72. It was a running gag that Fez wanted Kelso and kept making Freudian slips about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76November 2, 2016 12:55 AM

Jackie's 'Sandy' during the Grease tribute was foxy, she made that almost as sexy as ONJ herself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77November 2, 2016 12:56 AM

Topher may have acted like he was above the whole show, but to be fair he did imbue Eric with life and consistency not shown by the other teens. There's a case to say Grace is still the best younger actor of the T7S main cast even now (although not the most popular or financially successful a la Kunis & Kutcher), and his body of film work backs this up. Eric wasn't the coolest or the most memetic T7S character but he was remarkably easy to get behind, for a sitcom character.

Take his tendency to break out in very goofy, terrible dancing when elated. None of the others did that outside of dream sequences (as R36 points out, they were too cool). Grace was not afraid to make Eric this emotionally expressive & vulnerable, which made him far more endearing than Donna, Kelso, Fez. ...

Another great moment was Kelso obliterating Eric's Star Wars model. The bereft look on Forman's face is somehow both hilarious & heart-breaking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78November 2, 2016 8:01 PM

[quote]she made that almost as sexy as ONJ herself.

R77, you are the Queen -- nay, the Empress -- of Damning with Faint Praise.

by Anonymousreply 79November 2, 2016 8:21 PM

[quote]Eric wasn't the coolest or the most memetic T7S character but he was remarkably easy to get behind, for a sitcom character.

Also, he was the only one I wanted to fuck.

by Anonymousreply 80November 2, 2016 8:22 PM

r80 Red, remove foot. Me, insert cock.

by Anonymousreply 81November 2, 2016 8:25 PM

Ashton & Laura have a sweet chemistry and kind of balance each other out. Where 'Kutch' is chatty and dopey and gregarious, 'Pre' is chilled out and coolly vague. Are they as cool with each other as they seem?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82November 2, 2016 11:44 PM

[R40] I believe in one episode Jackie states that she only started hanging out at Eric's home because Kelso was there. Him being gorgeous/popular coupled with Jackie's shallowness naturally attracted her towards him. Plus they were dating so couple hang out with each Other's respective friends. As time went on she saw them as her friends as well.

P.S. I totally started watching because I loved Jackie's hair and clothes.

by Anonymousreply 83November 3, 2016 12:03 AM

Every time Red opened his mouth, he seemed to be channeling my dad. I found him to be one of the few believable characters in terms of how people actually were in that era.

by Anonymousreply 84November 3, 2016 4:51 AM

For R17:

"I'm what's known as Man-Pretty."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85November 5, 2016 1:40 PM

It had its moments in its first few years, but went on a few seasons too long. It should have ended with their high school graduation. It became more strained that they were all still hanging out in the basement and acting as if they were still 15.

by Anonymousreply 86November 5, 2016 1:52 PM

Nothing on that show was sexier than Ashton hungrily purring "so you're a virgin.." at that Catholic School boy. For that matter, never has a slut been portrayed more accurately than Kutcher as Kelso. Michael was a moron (and this got unbearably worse as seasons went on) but his overall skanky attitude stayed with him and it worked.

Hyde is great in the same episode when he gets even more totalled than usual and decides to marry Jackie.

Eric: "I think you need one more beer." Hyde: "----could be."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87November 5, 2016 2:18 PM

[quote]Where's the TV show about being gay in the 1970s?

I guess the dipshit @ r66 never heard of Armistead Maupin.

The better questions are: Why does every show have to be about gays? Why isn't there any virtue to That '70s Show unless it has gays? Did you notice That '70s Show sometimes had gays?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88November 5, 2016 5:00 PM

Mila told Howard Stern she didn't start fucking Ashton until after his breakup with Demi Moore in very recent years, r67.

by Anonymousreply 89November 5, 2016 5:02 PM

Where's the button for "so bad I'd actually rather watch [italic]Small Wonder[/italic]"?

by Anonymousreply 90November 5, 2016 5:04 PM

Well, there's a difference between Topher Grace the egotistical actor and Eric Forman, the likable character who is not written or directed by Topher Grace, r78.

The truth is, Topher Grace is stuck-up. He didn't pal around with the rest of the cast in the off-hours, who were all pretty close. He always thought he was better than them -- a better actor with more prestigious work (Traffic). While that may be true, his pompous isolation alienated him from the rest of the cast. His decision to leave That 70s Show ruined the show -- and cost everybody else their jobs.

What good is being a good actor if you're just going to abandon a good thing going -- which is hard to achieve in TV? Topher is a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 91November 5, 2016 5:16 PM

I fucking LOVED that show! I'm old; I was about the age of the Lauri character; my favorite decade was the 70's (I know, I know...) Agree with all the posters who saw the show went downhill after the first 4, 5, years; I find that happens with most (not all) sitcoms. The neighbors were lousy actors (though WAS fun to see - what's-her-name - who also stunk up the last season of Charlie's Angels); Debra Jo Rupp was superb, and I always thought, whoever brought Kurtwood Smith in: GENIUS. I was only familiar with him from heavy-drama roles (to add to a number of posters above, he - "Red" - also was in "Alien.")

The younger cast were great; imagine, Mila Kunis only 15 when she started!; I loved Kutcher - great comic timing (should NEVER have tried drama; look at the many failed films), but I always thought the absolute best actor, with superb timing: was Wilmer Valderamma (sp?) Didn't hear anything of him for a while; am happy to see he also has great dramatic chops: the recurring role in "Grey's Anatomy" and now has joined "NCIS"

(Yes, I watch WAY too much fucking TV!)

by Anonymousreply 92November 5, 2016 5:38 PM

Kurtwood Smith was ABSOLUTELY NOT in Ridley Scott's Alien.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93November 5, 2016 10:24 PM

Perhaps r92 was thinking of Ian Holm, AKA Ash the treacherous android or Bilbo Baggins in the Lord of the Rings Trilogy?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94November 5, 2016 10:26 PM

Ashton Kutcher did well in the drama The Butterfly Effect, which was well-received.

And Wilmer Valderrama's big claim to fame lately is a starring role in the TV series From Dusk Till Dawn.

Boy, is r92 out-of-it!

by Anonymousreply 95November 5, 2016 10:30 PM

[quote]The truth is, Topher Grace is stuck-up. He didn't pal around with the rest of the cast in the off-hours, who were all pretty close.

Didn't Masterson drag Laura Prepon into Scientology while they were pretty close on the set? I mean, I'd rather stay away than be manipulated into joining a cult like Scientology.

by Anonymousreply 96November 5, 2016 10:33 PM

Yes, the casualties to Scientology are disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 97November 5, 2016 10:40 PM

R76 it was a fun in-joke, and it worked with Fez because of his naivety and lack of knowledge about American Male culture. Would a teen boy who wasn't Fez ever really have admitted to 'erotic dreams' about his preppy skirtchasing friend in the 1970s and risk getting his ass kicked?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98April 29, 2017 7:31 PM

[Quote] Ashton Kutcher did well in the drama The Butterfly Effect, which was well-received.

That movie was ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 99April 29, 2017 7:53 PM

I continue to desire Grace dong all these years after the fact.

by Anonymousreply 100April 29, 2017 8:01 PM

Mila said Ashton was never anything but respectful to her while the show was on. He said he was concerned about their making out scenes because she was so young. He was her first kiss and she had a terrible crush on him.

by Anonymousreply 101April 29, 2017 10:32 PM

I loved the parents and Ashton Kutcher.

Eric was a smarmy little shit.

by Anonymousreply 102April 29, 2017 11:48 PM

Don't forget about Kurtwood Smith in Dead Poet's Society.

Debra Jo Rupp did an interview a few years ago where she talked a little bit about Ashton and Mila being together now, and what they were both like on the set when they were younger. She also said that Danny Masterson might be the sexiest man to ever live!

by Anonymousreply 103April 30, 2017 1:34 AM

I loved Kitty & Hyde's relationship R103, just as much as Eric & Hyde's.

It was so cool to see the usually brusqe & standoffish Steven soften up around Kitty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104April 30, 2017 9:03 PM

Not so, R29. The cast did a full dance number complete with sparkly getup to 'Shake Your Groove Thing' by Peaches & Herb.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105April 30, 2017 10:22 PM

R102, Eric was a smarmy shit, but somehow you still couldn't help but feel for him... Grace was just really good in the role. Kitty and Red were amazing. But everybody worked well as their characters. Even Prepon, who's not actually very good at the whole acting thing. Everything just gelled amazingly. For a few seasons, anyway. And, damn, now I'm feeling nostalgic. And so very old.

by Anonymousreply 106April 30, 2017 10:51 PM

Is Topher Grace gay?

by Anonymousreply 107April 30, 2017 11:06 PM

Isn't Laura Prepon gay?

And a creepy, gun-nut $cien0 besides?

by Anonymousreply 108September 3, 2017 12:51 PM

Laura pings a bit. Very sad about the death of Eric’s sister. She looked emaciated in the first season. Danny Masterson, who I think is sexy apparently has rape accusations that killed his career back in 2017

by Anonymousreply 109May 2, 2019 5:10 AM

It seemed that the way Happy Days channeled nostalgia for the 50s in the 70s, it did the same thing for the 70s in the 90s and early 2000s. It’s the cycle of writers maturing in their 40s recalling their youth through their projects.

by Anonymousreply 110May 2, 2019 5:19 AM

Some people wasted 7 years of their lives watching shows that dive after the first season.

by Anonymousreply 111May 2, 2019 9:22 AM

Can Danny Masterson ever mount a career comeback?

by Anonymousreply 112May 2, 2019 10:42 AM

^^^ In rough trade porn.

by Anonymousreply 113May 2, 2019 11:05 AM

It worked until it didn't. They should have ended it at high school graduation.

by Anonymousreply 114May 2, 2019 11:15 AM

R114 but then you never would have met me.

by Anonymousreply 115May 2, 2019 11:21 AM

Record needle screech, r115. Get back to your own show.

by Anonymousreply 116May 2, 2019 11:23 AM

I watched it when there was nothing else on tv. It was an ok show, but it wasn't my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 117May 2, 2019 3:03 PM

How has no one mentioned Fenton, my favorite character?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118May 2, 2019 3:41 PM

Milo is adorable

by Anonymousreply 119May 3, 2019 12:36 AM

MILA

by Anonymousreply 120May 3, 2019 12:41 AM

Where is the choice for “network tv is old people’s diarrhea and as a consequence I would never watch it?”

by Anonymousreply 121May 3, 2019 12:45 AM

I adored this show as a teenager. It is probably my favorite sitcom, ever. Jackie and Laurie brought the sassy bitchiness, Donna brought dyke energy, and all the guys were eye candy. I had many masturbatory fantasies involving twink Topher Grace, pretty boy Kutcher, and gruff Danny Masterson—all at once.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122June 9, 2019 4:49 AM

IMO what made the show work were the overall dynamics. The kids worked well together, the older cast worked well together and the younger cast and the older cast worked well together.

Btw. just saw Topher Grace in his Black Mirror episode and damn! He looks so hot. Who knew that dweeb would grow into a hot hipster?

by Anonymousreply 123June 9, 2019 5:00 AM

I've always had a thing for Topher, R123. He was appropriately adorkable on That '70s Show—sexy in a nerdy way, albeit a bit on the skinny side. I still wanted to fuck him so badly when I was a teenager. His sex appeal has increased exponentially with age.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124June 9, 2019 5:04 AM

Topher is pretty great in the movie Opening Night.

by Anonymousreply 125June 9, 2019 5:09 AM

Topher is super hot and talented

by Anonymousreply 126September 23, 2019 12:08 AM

I started watching this on Netflix and I'm enjoying it so far. IMO, they did a great job casting the Formans. Eric and Laurie definitely looked like brother and sister, and Red and Kitty looked like they could be Eric parents. When they did a flashback of when Red and Kitty first met, the actor who played young Red looked like a cross between older Red and Eric.

[quote]Wilmer Valderrama as "Fez" always gave off a major gay vibe.

Initially, I thought he was supposed to be gay. The way he spoke, his mannerisms, and the way he stood with arms akimbo were very effeminate.

[quote]Mila said Ashton was never anything but respectful to her while the show was on. He said he was concerned about their making out scenes because she was so young. He was her first kiss and she had a terrible crush on him.

That must've been post-2010, because she dated Macaulay Culkin for most of the 2000s. They split up around the time of BLACK SWAN (c late 2010/early 2011).

by Anonymousreply 127April 23, 2020 2:39 AM

Sorry. My Macaulay post was for R89.

by Anonymousreply 128April 23, 2020 2:43 AM

Meh.

by Anonymousreply 129April 23, 2020 3:00 AM

[quote] Eric's gay kiss would have been better without a laugh-track and without Eric's overreaction. Eric is a straight character and not at all questioning and so his rejection & shock did make sense, but for him to follow it up with a moment of serious introspection about what Buddy's sexuality meant for their friendship would have made Eric more sympathetic a protagonist . Unfortunately writers went the other way, and Eric's phobic reaction to the kiss and his later silent treatment & avoidance of Buddy played for laughs comes off cruel now. But, such was America in 1999.

Well, he kissed him without warning or consent, so today it would probably be a #MeToo moment...

by Anonymousreply 130April 23, 2020 3:42 AM

The last few seasons, even before Grace's departure were weak. Still, he show captured the 70s better than Happy days did the 50s (the cultural references vanished from Happy Days after the first couple seasons). The ensemble had chemistry and the parents were a big part of the show's appeal.

by Anonymousreply 131April 23, 2020 3:49 AM

I watched for Red & Kitty; loved them. Very realistic of parents I was aware of from that time. Except, in my family, my mom would be putting her foot up your ass, my dad would be telling her to knock it off, before one of the neighbors heard the commotion.

by Anonymousreply 132April 23, 2020 4:08 AM

Love me some That 70's Show.. I grew up with this show and honestly it's on my tv bucket list to binge in its entirety (I've seen most, but not all.)

My favorite of the main group is probably Jackie, but I looooooove Red and Kitty and I really hate that Lisa Robin Kelly (RIP) was so troubled because her Laurie was such a great foil for Eric.

by Anonymousreply 133April 23, 2020 4:18 AM

It's one of the very few half-hour shows I've ever watched. I loved it for the first four seasons, but when they put Jackie together with Hyde and Fez, no, those couplings just didn't work. Parts of season 5 work: anything that sets Red in opposition with Eric is basically excellent, but by season 6, it's done. Kelso becoming a cop and knocking up Brooke? Bleah. Stop making episodes. Please!

by Anonymousreply 134April 23, 2020 10:21 AM

It's still my favorite sitcom of all time. I grew up watching it all throughout junior high and high school, and I still find it endlessly watchable. IFC does reruns of it a lot now, and I always put it on when I see it playing. There's something very comforting about it to me. While the period setting is fun, what really made the show was the character dynamics. Jackie was probably my favorite—she was the perfect lovable bitch. I also had big crushes on Topher Grace and Ashton Kutcher.

by Anonymousreply 135May 7, 2020 9:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!