Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Fountainhead on TCM -- the movie that drives Liberals CRAAAAZY!!!

On TCM right now. Supports individualism against the mob, Liberals shouldn't watch or their heads will explode.

by Anonymousreply 32December 8, 2020 11:37 PM

Republicans don't believe in standing up to the mob - they believe in conformity which is why they hate gays and minorities.OP, you are dumb.

by Anonymousreply 1August 16, 2015 8:08 PM

It's a dumb film

by Anonymousreply 2August 16, 2015 8:09 PM

It's actually a document of Coop engaging in a sweaty S &M-ish fuckfest with Pat, on and off-screen.

by Anonymousreply 3August 16, 2015 8:11 PM

"drives Liberals CRAAAAZY" = "makes them LOL at the stupidity"

by Anonymousreply 4August 16, 2015 8:29 PM

Cooper's speech was an abomination that he couldn't save.

by Anonymousreply 5August 26, 2015 4:44 PM

It's a terrible film. Even technically with those outrageous matte paintings and miniatures, the whole thing was just a great big pile. Not even campy fun, just dull and trite.

by Anonymousreply 6August 26, 2015 4:45 PM

[quote]Liberals shouldn't watch or their heads will explode.

"Mr. Roark, we're alone here. Why don't you tell me what you think of me? In any words you wish. No one will hear us."

"But I don't think of you.”

by Anonymousreply 7August 26, 2015 4:47 PM

I listened to the Fountainhead audiobook few years ago and it wasn't that bad as a novel. I still can't put my head around it (and Atlas Shrugged) becoming a basis for a religion, though. I've tried listening to Atlas Shrugged as well but you sort of get tired of her style at some point.

Don't remember seeing the film but since Cooper was hot as hell at the time I might try and find it one of these days. I don't care about her ideas but I liked the story.

by Anonymousreply 8August 26, 2015 5:08 PM

The book is a good read, if not overly wordy as was Rand's style. The movie made it seem like a soap and Gary Cooper was just wrong for the part, but Ayn was wet for him so he was cast.

by Anonymousreply 9August 26, 2015 5:13 PM

That movie poster is hilariously bad. And the slogan: "No man takes what's mine!"???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 26, 2015 5:14 PM

And the movie quotes. Seriously, this movie is supposed to drive me "CRAAAAZY?!" WTF?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 26, 2015 5:14 PM

In the real world, Roark would be in jail for rape.

by Anonymousreply 12August 26, 2015 8:29 PM

[quote]Don't remember seeing the film but since Cooper was hot as hell at the time I might try and find it one of these days.

You may be disappointed. Cooper was middle-aged when he did this film. The hot Cooper was early 1930's. On the other hand, Patricia Neal was at her best, never looked better than she did in this film. She's also the most interesting character.

by Anonymousreply 13August 27, 2015 2:43 AM

I didn't realize heads can explode due to an excess of mediocrity....

by Anonymousreply 14August 27, 2015 2:50 AM

Although middle-aged at the time, Patricia Neal said Gary Cooper "was the most gorgeously attractive man." An image from the 1930s-

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 27, 2015 5:10 AM

[quote]the movie that drives Liberals CRAAAAZY!!!

I'm sure your incredibly stupid ass also thought liberals were scared of the coming "President Palin"

by Anonymousreply 16August 27, 2015 5:17 AM

Ayn Rand is Nietzsche for dumb-asses.

by Anonymousreply 17August 27, 2015 5:41 AM

I forget, wasn't the cunt a complete hypocrite in that she was on welfare or medicare? I forget which, but we know the old bitch WASN'T self-sufficient. She's a hypocrite like most of the morons who worship her.

by Anonymousreply 18August 27, 2015 5:43 AM

Never seen it, OP, but I doubt it. Ayn Rand could be a little strident.

by Anonymousreply 19December 8, 2020 5:23 AM

I eat old people’s excrement.

by Anonymousreply 20December 8, 2020 5:26 AM

When Diamonds&Silk write their Trumpist fantasy, I expect the same fawning and the same production values.

by Anonymousreply 21December 8, 2020 6:01 AM

Ayn Rand was a terrible writer. Gratingly verbose.

by Anonymousreply 22December 8, 2020 6:08 AM

The movie is ludicrous! Ridiculous enough to be somewhat campy, but not campy enough to be fun.

But I don't recall any of the awful politics from the books making it into the film, at least 90% of the movie was Neal acting lustful, or Cooper arguing about architecture.

by Anonymousreply 23December 8, 2020 6:10 AM

Oh YEH, OP... I’m just Craaaazee! (Ape noises, underarm scratching) oh, I’m...so...crazy... oh, wait. I’m so...sleepy...very, very bored. When will you guys realize just how redundantly over over and OVAH Ayn Rand is? Where are the supermen that were supposed to rise up and rule the planet? How can anyone believe Ayn Rand’s premise? If they’re all so self-sustaining, so that they can ultimately live on the force of their own wills and strengths and talents alone, why would they band together? Rand knew nothing about the way the scientific research geniuses have conducted works. There have been few Frankensteins in real life. These people work in teams, and are generally very humble men. I have actually met some of them. Political parties, government, diplomacy, the military...all work by the combined efforts of many. Men like Trump don’t function well, in government, in business, in their home lives. To be all about yourself is the most self-destructive way of reaching any goal.

by Anonymousreply 24December 8, 2020 6:31 AM

R18

[quote] I forget … I forget….

by Anonymousreply 25December 8, 2020 6:39 AM

BTW, Neitzchean supermen went out with Hitler. Rand is just reacting, still, to the supposed threat of communism because she was badly warped by her childhood and supposed that American democracy was in danger from it, when the real threat has always been fascism.

by Anonymousreply 26December 8, 2020 6:41 AM

R25: she did, actually apply for social security (and get it) without any apparent qualms given what she was writing against such programs. Fascists never discern their contradictions, hypocrisy, or absurdity.

by Anonymousreply 27December 8, 2020 6:45 AM

Is this supposed to be Frank Lloyd Wight or not?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28December 8, 2020 6:46 AM

I think OP thinks it’s the movie version that irritates liberals. No, the movie is irritating to fans of well-made movies.

OP is conflating the finished film with liberals’ perceived distaste for Ayn Rand. I think it’s mostly conservatives who keep her name alive in their admiration for her philosophy but then think liberals must hate her if conservatives like her. I’ve yet to hear a hardline conservative fan of Rand, however, discuss her unwavering support for abortion rights as an extension of her Objectivist worldview.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29December 8, 2020 7:48 AM

This story is taken from the life of Frank Lloyd Wright.

He said he was a genius and that we need to separate the GENIUSES of the world from the MOBS of the world.

He said the Mob are mere proletariat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30December 8, 2020 11:07 PM

[quote] I still can't put my head around it (and Atlas Shrugged) becoming a basis for a religion, though.

What an ignorant statement.

by Anonymousreply 31December 8, 2020 11:35 PM

[quote] … ignorant…

That ignorant person must belong to the Mobocracy!

by Anonymousreply 32December 8, 2020 11:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!