Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Negative reviews of the world's supposedly greatest tourist attractions

From Trip Advisor.

Machu Picchu: “The people who lived in the lost city Machu Picchu would turn in their grave at the people who run this attraction. The food here absolutely sucks. The so called Italian pizza has horrible tasting llama cheese on it. No matter what they tell you that's what it is."

Great Wall of China: '“Crowds and lines and people littering and p******. It was awful.

Grand Canyon: '“I drove nine hours one-way to see it, but it felt like it was only worth a two-hour drive. So if you happen to be within two hours, it’s worth considering. Also, the trails are polluted with horse and mule feces. '

Eiffel Tower: 'You're being assaulted by junk sellers in huge groups.Go if you must, but you won't enjoy it.”'

Niagara Falls: '"We were underwhelmed. It looked nothing like the photos. The falls were full of litter and in every direction there were neon lights and overpriced burgers.”

Statue of Liberty: 'Stood in a horrendous line to go through security and it was like a third world country. Plus, no place to sit on a terribly over packed ferry that listed to the right. Wasted a whole afternoon. Just go to the dock and throw your money in the water.”

Have you visited any of these sights had been similarly underwhelmed?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167June 10, 2020 10:12 AM

God what idiots. I can see being annoyed by some of the trappings around a site but to be unimpressed by the Grand Canyon? Geeez.

by Anonymousreply 1August 16, 2015 11:35 AM

If you're going to "one of the world's greatest tourist attractions," you have to expect to see people there. And they will be doing what people do: shoving food in their face, buying trinkets, and littering. It *does* negatively impact the experience, but you're also foolish if you're shocked that one of the "world's wonders" has crowds.

Maybe try lesser-known places. Sacre Coeur instead of the Eiffel Tower, for instance. Or take the trouble to visit the Canadian side of Niagara Falls, which still has people selling trinkets but is much cleaner than the American side. Or go off-peak season or get up early in the morning to arrive before the crowds.

Or ignore all the above, go to an extremely well-known tourist attraction then bitch online that it attracted a lot of tourists. I guess that's an option, too.

by Anonymousreply 2August 16, 2015 11:41 AM

The majority of tourists don't know how to travel intelligently.

by Anonymousreply 3August 16, 2015 11:47 AM

Mona Lisa at the Louvre. My first time in Paris, excited, first one in the queue to the Museum, headed straight for the room with the Mona Lisa. And it's this tiny painting behind bullet-proof glass. Big fucking deal doesn't even begin to describe how underwhelmed I was.

Same with The Last Supper at Santa Maria delle Grazie Church in Milan, especially after I found out that 85% of what's on the wall is from restoration and not Da Vinci.

by Anonymousreply 4August 16, 2015 11:48 AM

“WARNING TO ALL PARIS NOTRE-DAME TOURISTS!! ( Or Paris tourists in general!)”

I just came back from Paris and was in Notre-Dame a couple of days back with my gf.

I was in the queue to go to the Top of the Notre-Dame. I just popped out of the queue to find out how long the waiting time was, when I was stopped by a man who said to me that the queue was very long and that excess to the Top of the Notre-Dame was going to close soon so all these people waiting was not going to get in.

At the time I was thinking, that was nice for him to inform me about what is going on...

-He then went on to ask me with a smile where I was from, I told him I was from Manchester. -He had a tablet with him, and he then went on the show me a picture of his beautiful girlfriend on it. -He then said to me, "I'm a local in Paris I know this place well let me show you around, come with me..."

What he was saying and how he was acting just did not seem right, and speaking to him face to face he had the most disgusting orange stained teeth and almost like they were filed to be sharp at the ends. In my head, I was thinking that this guys is dodgy!

So I said no thank you and was going to walk away. -He then stuck out his hand with a smile to shake my hand. At this point I thought no thanks, this guys seems dodgy and dirty I'm not shaking his hand.

It was at this point when he could see that I was not going to shake his hand and agree to his suggestions, that he all of a sudden he pushed me away in the chest and said to me;

"If you don't F-off! I'm going to smash your face in!!"

I said to him "don't push me"... ( We are both standing next to a long line of people, but it's not easy to know how to react. Does he have a knife? Is he in a gang and are there people waiting to jump in)

Anyway we both walked off, and I thought forget this! I've had enough of this place. As I was walking away in the main square, I saw him again. He was going up to other innocent tourists and doing this same kind of routine and showing them his tablet.

This guy and others like him are total scumbags!!!!. And there are lots of other scams going on in that area and Paris, just look it up on Google.

I wanted to warn everyone of my first hand experience of Paris for their safety.

GUYS DESCRIPTION DETAILS: - North West African looking. - Around 5 foot 7 inches - Medium to Stocky build - In his 30’s or early 40’s - Black bolding hair - Dark tan complextion - Disgusting orange stained, sharp looking teeth - Casually, dressed- Jeans, Trainers, I think checked shirt. - Carry a tablet with a red case.

by Anonymousreply 5August 16, 2015 11:50 AM

Black bolding hair?

by Anonymousreply 6August 16, 2015 11:55 AM

R1 To me, the Grand Canyon looked exactly as it did on the travel channel. I was much more impressed with the Anasazi cliff dwellings. The petrified forest was piled up out front, for sale by the side of the road.

by Anonymousreply 7August 16, 2015 12:01 PM

“Scandal in the Pantheon!” 1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2010

I'm writing this negative review not referring to the building, which obviously is incredible, but to the horrible staff working there. A few days ago something unacceptable happened; the concert of the Russian chorus, watched by 500 people was interrupted. The employees turned off the lights and started to drive the public out cause they work till 18.00. The concert would have be finished at 18.15 by the way. Hundreds of people didn't want to leave, they were crying to musicians "Suonate, suonate" and "Vergognatevi" to the Pantheons employees. These people must be punished, no respect for the audience, musicians and the holiness of the Pantheon. Here you can see what happened:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 16, 2015 12:09 PM

This is a scam that is currently popular around the Eiffel Tower, and outside the major Paris tourist sights: a woman walking towards you will suddenly stop, look in surprise at the ground, and pick up something. She looks around, and then looks at you. She approaches you and in French, but with a heavy Eastern European accent (Albanian, Romanian, Bulgarian or Czech) she asks if you have dropped this, and shows you what looks like a gold wedding ring. You say no, and she urges you to keep it 'for good luck'. Whether you take it in confusion or refuse and try and walk on, she will ask you for money and will become very insistent and even aggressively start to make a scene if you refuse.

Tip: 'Don't make eye contact, walk straight on if you see the 'looking at something on the ground in surprise' routine.

by Anonymousreply 9August 16, 2015 12:14 PM

Not sure what position to take on this problem. The sophisticated, elitist one? The disgusted local resident? That justifiably disappointed, irritated and angry hoi polloi?

By all accounts, visiting the Statue of Liberty and the Mona Lisa have turned into nightmares for everyone. So either be a clever traveller and search if there is some secret workaround, or skip them. Clearly most people do not have the luxury to be tourist in Paris in the off season and know how to visit the Mona Lisa in less trafficked moments. There are, however, at least 10 other objects in the Ouvre that could satisfiy your individual taste, and you could visit those. So this is where the snob comes in - tourists who have not taste, and don't know how to look at anything but hat they are told is important.

Many of us live in places that attract a lot of tourists. Everyone says Times Square has been lost, and it certainly has in many way. We can laugh and agree with Fran Lebowitz's essay bemoaning NY tourism, or make compromises and appreciate the money that is being dumped.

Its usually possible to have a good looking time as a tourist, in a touristic spot, if one has one's thinking cap on. It's usually possible to live in a touristy place and avoid the tourist but appreciate their value. etc etc.

I have to laugh at the suggestion to go avoid the touristic nightmare of the Eifle tower by going to Sacré-Cœur instead.

Beside, the Eifle Tower can be enjoyed from many places in Paris, there is absolutely no need to wait to go up it. Leave that to the hordes, the VIPS who can attend a private party, and to film crews. The Mona Lisa can be marvelled at through very high definition images, often zoomable, with articles, online. As can other world famous art works.

I guess as I am 50, and got in the bulk of my world travels between 15 and 40, I managed to avoid some of the more recent uptick in global numbers of travellers and intense pressure on the worlds most famous attractions. When I was a young, we could pop up the Empire State Building completely spontaneously, with little to no wait, and for a few bucks.

Its funny to laugh at the masses of ignorant tourists, but its also a little sad and melancholy making at what's being lost. Its also elitist.

The ignorant hordes like terrible food, horrible movies, rotten tv, tacky tourist spots or mucking up beautiful ones, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. old news.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 16, 2015 12:17 PM

These people must be a BLAST at parties.

by Anonymousreply 11August 16, 2015 12:29 PM

Overhype ruins everything

by Anonymousreply 12August 16, 2015 12:35 PM

Yosemite National Park: "Boy, what a total letdown!!! It's just rock and waterfalls. There were no gift shops except in the OLD hotel in the valley and it was VERY expensive. We wanted to just check in and watch our shows on TV but it was SUCH A RIP OFF to get a room!!! I couldn't get back to Reno fast enough!!! I hate parks. They are the definition of BORING!!!"

by Anonymousreply 13August 16, 2015 12:49 PM

Louvre Museum in Paris: "Just art. No food court. I would have killed for a Big Mac but instead had to look at a statue of Venus. She didn't even have arms!!! What a broke ass place!!! Next time we go to Branson!!!!"

by Anonymousreply 14August 16, 2015 12:52 PM

Oakland. There is no there there.

by Anonymousreply 15August 16, 2015 1:15 PM

R10, I wish I could give you a 'like' for your post. :)

When I visited Paris for the first time in 2013, I prepared myself to be harrassed by gypsies and deal with insane amounts of people. But I was perfectly fine. Maybe it's my semi-permanent 'resting bitch face' which deflected a lot of troubles away. When I visited the Eiffel Tower, I didn't bother to go up into it, that didn't interest me, and the lines were at a 2 hour wait (noted by timed sign posts) at the time I visited about 12:30pm. I just hung out along the grassy area and took pictures of the tower and selfies of me. It was marvelous. Oh and about the Louvre. I bought a museum pass which allows me to bypass lines and just go right in. I made a beeline to the hall where Mona Lisa was and it was surreal actually seeing her in the flesh. Yes, the painting is small, but I was prepared for this as I have read about the mob scenes next to the painting and those images provided scale to the actual painting. Other than the helpful signs near the Mona Lisa informing visitors that pickpockets are in the crowd, I felt safe and at ease in viewing the world's most famous painting.

BTW, I prefer the Musee d'Orsay to the Louvre. :)

by Anonymousreply 16August 16, 2015 1:16 PM

I loved Niagara Falls! I went when I was 12 and it was on my birthday. All I wanted to do was stare and the water as poured down. And The Maid of the Mist was a blast! I still have the Polaroid pics of my brother and I all soaking wet!

by Anonymousreply 17August 16, 2015 1:28 PM

London: "I mean to tell you, we spended ALL DAY on the "TUBE" thing looking for a stop with a Wal-Mart. No such luck! I pray to the precious Lord Jesus that I never have to go through another day like that. An get this --- our hotel didn't even have the 700 Club on the TV. Next vacation we stay on home!!!!"

by Anonymousreply 18August 16, 2015 1:35 PM

I live in NYC and went to the Statue of Liberty in the winter when family was visiting. The security is fine. There's a line, with a view of the water, to board the boat you go through a tent that has a security line (tray, etc.) that moves quickly and in a matter-of-fact way. Then you're on a small Ferry and you go to the island. Maybe if you go in the summer it's not fun, but this was fine.

Everywhere I've been that's a tourist attraction you're accosted by aggressive scam artists. I found it particularly aggressive and inescapable in Israel and in Spain. The only time you could get away from it in Israel was at the top of Mazada or if you were part of an organized walking tour.

by Anonymousreply 19August 16, 2015 1:41 PM

These people are obviously Dataloungers.

by Anonymousreply 20August 16, 2015 1:42 PM

The reviewers are either Texans or New Yorkers. As Americans go, they are the biggest complainers...and they always let you know where they're from.

by Anonymousreply 21August 16, 2015 1:45 PM

That's exactly what I thought when I read those comments, R20.

We had a thread once about India. Hilarious shrieking about beggars and the food and rats and corpses ensued.

by Anonymousreply 22August 16, 2015 1:46 PM

You should read Mark Twain's The Innocents Abroad (fiction, but based on a real excursion) chronicling an 1867 travel excursion through Europe and The Holy Land. The behavior of those on the excursion was horrible. Nonstop complaining about food and language. Chiseling off pieces of the Sphinx (a very common practice by everybody). It's just horrible, and it was what - 148 years ago?

by Anonymousreply 23August 16, 2015 1:48 PM

Travel is too cheap. Major tourist destination cities are unbearable during peak season. I had the misfortune of getting out at Westminster tube station last month planning to walk the rest of my journey, along the Thames, as it was a very warm day. It was terrible. A crush of hundreds of apparently Russian, Ukrainian, and Chinese tourists, so thick you could barely move. No English being spoken. Rudeness, jostling, pushing, people staring through view finders as they walked along, people glued to their phones, not even bothering to look around them.

by Anonymousreply 24August 16, 2015 2:03 PM

ROME: "THis SUPPOSED to be the home of PIZZA!!! They just put ONE topping on! What a rip!!! An how can you call you self the HOME of pizza when there ain't ONE Pizza Hut or Popa John's anywheres to be seen?? This place is so old and dirty. The sidewalks so cracked are scooters are very uncomfortable an bounce round so much I pilled my Pepsi four time!!! The kids crying. They need a ride that goes through the stuff so we done got to walk. It ain't worth it!!! Next year we go to Bush gardens!!!!"

by Anonymousreply 25August 16, 2015 2:05 PM

[quote]I loved Niagara Falls!

Niagara Falls is pretty on the American side, but the Canadians have totally trashed up their side. The irony is that this makes it pretty looking from the Canadian side and trashy looking from the pristine American side.

by Anonymousreply 26August 16, 2015 2:10 PM

PRAGUE: "I am very disappointed with the young boys I purchased at the train station. One 13 year-old really need a bath. In all my 74 years, I have never encountered an underage rentboy who smelled so ripe. Almost made me want to ask for my $5 back."

by Anonymousreply 27August 16, 2015 2:13 PM

Even after R27's post, some of you won't realize that many of these reviews are obvious jokes.

by Anonymousreply 28August 16, 2015 2:16 PM

[r14] Dear Living God, this asshole just shouts "Ugly American" Now I can see why the rest of the world hates us.

by Anonymousreply 29August 16, 2015 2:19 PM

You do realize that most of these are clearly troll posts, right?

That said - I visited France once and there were French people everywhere. Awful.

by Anonymousreply 30August 16, 2015 2:23 PM

France: "It is wasted on the French."

by Anonymousreply 31August 16, 2015 2:24 PM

During the recession of the early 90's, I luckily had both money and free time. European tourist spots were empty (except in summer when there were manageable crowds). International economy seats were still large, and often there were entire empty rows and you could sleep. Prices hadn't shot up with the Euro. All cities but Swiss cities were cheap, and Mediterranean destinations were free except for a few traditional lux and jet set places. Barcelona, Seville, Nice, Rome were dreams and very hot sex. Cairo and Istanbul were exceptional. Venice was relaxing and dreamlike as well.

by Anonymousreply 32August 16, 2015 2:37 PM

Its all gone to hell in a hand basket, and its only going to get worse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 16, 2015 2:40 PM

R33 that looks awful, but having said that, it's not the crowds I mind as much as the obsessive need everyone (including my bf) has to take constant photos of everything. Nobody lives in the moment anymore, it's all about taking photos and uploading them so all their 'friends' can see what they're doing.

I much prefer to get the 'big sights' out of the way and then just meander around cities, letting them unfold in front of me as I wander. Yes, the Blue Mosque is magnificent, but much more magical to me was to sit on a bench nearby and watch as day turned into dusk and then into night, and watch as the lights shining on the mosque came on. No photo or selfie needed to remind me of that beautiful, quiet moment.

Years ago I read that one should strive to be a traveler and not a tourist. Sadly, with the average attention span being that of a gnat, nobody takes the time to do that anymore.

by Anonymousreply 34August 16, 2015 2:56 PM

We were in Paris a few months and stayed a short walk from Notre Dame and had no trouble of any kind. Yes, the lines were very long but one night we were walking home and few people were in line and we walked right in and enjoyed a video on the history of the Cathedral. We never did see 'gypsies'. I've been traveling to Europe since 1964 and have always loved the experiences.

by Anonymousreply 35August 16, 2015 3:18 PM

I just saw Niagara Falls in July.

The reviewer is right -- so much gaudy overdevelopment around something that must have been pristine at one time.

The buildings blight the landscape. The Canadian side even has an amusement park.

A crime against nature!

by Anonymousreply 36August 16, 2015 3:26 PM

I agree with the post about the Mona Lisa-waste of time. Stonehenge was not worth the drive. I didn't even tour the Vatican because I wasn't allowed in unless I wore paper pants (I had on shorts-I am male) and, apparently, that's too disturbing. However, as I waited outside I marvelled at how many big titted broads with their "Satisfaction Guaranteed" t-shirts had no problems walking in. Skipped the Sistene(?) chapel on principle (beggars everywhere outside and you're gonna charge me to enter one of the wealthiest enclaves on earth?). Friends said it was tight, people pushed through like cattle and you couldn't really see much. (Plus a friends wallet was stolen right out of her purse by an aggressive panhandler) Had no problems at the Eiffel Tower, Tower of London or the collesium(sp?) although, the latter was underwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 37August 16, 2015 3:44 PM

Fun!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38August 16, 2015 3:47 PM

[quote]I didn't even tour the Vatican because I wasn't allowed in unless I wore paper pants (I had on shorts-I am male) and, apparently, that's too disturbing.

No, it's just tacky and immature. Grown men who travel to Europe should not wear shorts unless they are at the beach. Only untraveled hicks don't know this.

by Anonymousreply 39August 16, 2015 3:48 PM

The Taj Mahal experience. Keep your fanny pack zipped!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 16, 2015 3:50 PM

Fancy some leisurely browsing on Oxford Street?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41August 16, 2015 3:52 PM

Elaine Stritch and Noel Coward have this to say-

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42August 16, 2015 3:56 PM

I didn't "travel" to Europe, R39-I lived in Europe-and, if you think Europeans don't wear shorts you're even more stupid than you sound.

by Anonymousreply 43August 16, 2015 3:58 PM

R37. Poor dear. I walked through the holy door in a holy year at St. Pauls, with a joooo, an agnostic and 2 muslims, and we all get to go straight to christian heaven now. We wore linen pants because we have CLASS!

by Anonymousreply 44August 16, 2015 3:59 PM

St. Peter's - oops

by Anonymousreply 45August 16, 2015 3:59 PM

These crowd scenes remind me of the last time I was in NY to see a play. I got so turned around, I walked over to 9th Avenue when I wanted to go to 7th. And I wasn't lost. I grew up there.

I wouldn't put long pants on (assuming the weather is right for shorts) to go to any Catholic mausoleum, either. I resigned in 4th grade from that shit. R39 wears tails to fly, sans doute, the prissy sissy.

by Anonymousreply 46August 16, 2015 4:02 PM

Yes, R39. but I suppose you feel tees with "Satisfaction Guaranteed" tattooed across the tits are the height of sophistication. At least the Vatican thinks so.

by Anonymousreply 47August 16, 2015 4:04 PM

what a bunch of cunts

by Anonymousreply 48August 16, 2015 4:09 PM

Well, I have to agree somewhat about the Grand Canyon. It's an amazing sight and breathtaking. For about 20 minutes - then you ask yourself, what next? Unless you plan several days to go down by donkey or take a helicopter ride, there's not much else to do after traveling a significant way to get there. The scene from Vacation is actually pretty accurate.

I lived in Paris and New York for many years and never went to Eiffel Tower or Statue of Liberty. Went past both obviously, but I just didn't feel the need to go inside of it. To each his own I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 49August 16, 2015 4:10 PM

[quote]I lived in Europe-and, if you think Europeans don't wear shorts you're even more stupid than you sound.

Nobody said everyone in Europe has class, and you were, clearly, one of them who did not. Grow up and put some adults pants on when you are in a city.

by Anonymousreply 50August 16, 2015 4:13 PM

The Mona Lisa is definitely underwhelming, and the huge crowd around it taking pictures and video(why??) is totally annoying. However, if you can't find anything else in the Louvre to marvel at, you have no business going to an art museum in the first place.

The Sistine Chapel was a nightmare - I never realized how claustrophobic I was before visiting. People packed in like sardines and I'm not exaggerating. Absolutely wish I had skipped it, but the rest of the Vatican was fine.

The Grand Canyon is what you make of it. I live in Arizona and I think all of the surrounding area is some of the most beautiful land in the country. But if you just go and stand at the rim a bit then yeah, it's not too exciting. Unfortunately I've been there twice and not gotten to explore much (first time was with my family and we had car trouble which wasted most of the trip, second time the trails were closed due to ice).

by Anonymousreply 51August 16, 2015 4:14 PM

R50 is a prissy sissy. Look: the priss just oozes out of every word he types.

by Anonymousreply 52August 16, 2015 4:14 PM

The only one of those listed I have been to is the Statue of Liberty, as a kid. The rest don't interest me much at all. Four trips to India, never seen the Taj Mahal, probably never will. Paris a few times, never been to the Louvre, or the Eiffel Tower - my ex was a foodie, so we spent A LOT of time eating. Haghia Sofia in Istanbul was okay, but I liked the flooded underground church better (don't think I went to the Blue Mosque).

One tourist attraction I did like was the Tower of London.

by Anonymousreply 53August 16, 2015 4:16 PM

What about the Anne Frank House - please tell me if it is worth it - I'm going to Amsterdam next year and it's on my list of go-to places.

by Anonymousreply 54August 16, 2015 4:17 PM

Has anybody ever been to Japan and seen the castles on the hills? Are they as beautiful and fascinating as they look in photos?

by Anonymousreply 55August 16, 2015 4:18 PM

Meh, R54. It's totally empty except for tourists so it seems very spacious-you wonder what she was bitching about! That's all I remember of it.

by Anonymousreply 56August 16, 2015 4:18 PM

No, R55, no one ever has.

by Anonymousreply 57August 16, 2015 4:19 PM

r56 you sound like one of those stupid posters on trip advisor.

by Anonymousreply 58August 16, 2015 4:25 PM

R54, The best thing in Amsterdam is to take magic mushrooms or seriously trippy dope. Go see the Van Goghs while the buzz is building. Then dress weather appropriate and trip through the parks and along the canals. There's a greenhouse filled with butterflies and a fascinating museum of colonial history. Far out!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59August 16, 2015 4:27 PM

R52 got his feelings hurt because he was called out for being fucking white trash.

by Anonymousreply 60August 16, 2015 4:33 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61August 16, 2015 4:44 PM

R60 asks for extra starch in his underwear, even his jockstraps.

by Anonymousreply 62August 16, 2015 4:47 PM

[quote] Hagia Sophia in Istanbul was okay, but I liked the flooded underground church better (don't think I went to the Blue Mosque).

Are you referring to the Basilica Cistern? Yes, it's amazing.

I recommend the Blue Mosque. I'm an atheist and have no use for religion. Traipsing through churches bores me and I found the big synagogue in Budapest a yawn. But the Blue Mosque was jaw-dropping

Just sayin'

by Anonymousreply 63August 16, 2015 5:39 PM

Anyone who goes to an art museum to see one extremely famous painting is missing the point of art museums, and should do something else with their time.

Some tourist attractions should only be visited in the off-season. I went to the Eiffel Tower in February 1990-odd, and it wasn't crowded. What I remember most wasn't the view from the top, but walking along the Champ de Mars and watching its size become unbelievably huge as I got close, walking underneath it and seeing the AMAZING space over me, and strolling over the bridge towards the Trocadero... And watching Japanese brides there in their strapless wedding gowns shiver in the February breeze, risking hypothermia for that perfect wedding picture with the Seine and the Tour Eiffel in the background. No, none of the best travel experiences involve standing in line.

by Anonymousreply 64August 16, 2015 5:45 PM

Tower of London: old jewelry and garb so poorly crafted - as if each monarch made it himself.

by Anonymousreply 65August 16, 2015 6:04 PM

Just go to Vegas, you can see this same shit there. Same thing, a lot closer, it's cheaper, same tacky trashy people. You can drink a giant margarita while you do it!

by Anonymousreply 66August 16, 2015 6:26 PM

R63 -- Yes, the Cistern. I was able to tour both the historical (Renaissance?) synagogue and the modern one, which was between attacks at the time. I am WASP but was traveling with an American Jewish friend, so weren't considered security risks. They spoke Ladino, so our Spanish worked just fine! One of our party was African-American, and a bit sensitive to things racial (shall we say); unfortunately, two vendors on the same day made remarks that were ... tacky.

1) The fellow was looking at an English language guidebook. The Turkish guy remarked (as best I can recall from a decade ago, though it made a strong impression): "It is okay, it is (suitable for) blacks!" The three of us were in such utter shock that we were interested in getting out of there, rather than following up on the comment itself.

2) Further down the same street, after we had FINALLY gotten our friend to accept that the vendor was just bizarrely ignorant, rather than racist itself. Another vendor asked him (this is a direct quote): "Excuse me! Are you from Alabama ... or Mississippi? (tone indicated those were the only possible options)." This was actually WORSE as our friend was a native New Yorker!

Not long ago, I ran across a middle aged black fellow who, when discussing his overseas military postings, said he disliked Turkey.

Saw Amsterdam once, no Frank house, rijstaffel was the best part of the trip, no real interest in returning.

Off-the-top of my head most boring tourist site: Kon Tiki Museum in Oslo

by Anonymousreply 67August 16, 2015 6:41 PM

Gentlemen (and ladies): Can't a lot of this unhappiness be mitigated by going - ANY tourist-y place - in the OFF-season?? Not always feasible, I realize.

by Anonymousreply 68August 16, 2015 7:20 PM

I saw the Mona Lisa at the National Gallery in DC. Not gonna say it wasn't crowded but they tried to control the numbers at a time.

The Eiffel Tower is best viewed for what it is - a symbol of Paris against the sky. It is, in fact, completely wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 69August 16, 2015 7:40 PM

[quote]Travel is too cheap. Major tourist destination cities are unbearable during peak season

More people seeing the world is a good thing, not a bad thing. And even in major tourist destinations you can have a perfectly fine trip even in peak tourist season if you avoid all the big tourist traps. Go off the beaten path and really just explore the destination as a local would. That is the only way to travel IMO.

by Anonymousreply 70August 16, 2015 8:09 PM

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask people to wear pants to St. Peter's. It is a church, not an amusement park. People no longer dress appropriately. It's ugly and shows lack of respect and class.

by Anonymousreply 71August 16, 2015 8:24 PM

The Catholic Church deserves no more respect than it has ever shown me, R71.

by Anonymousreply 72August 16, 2015 8:26 PM

I find it bizarre that someone would bother to be offended by the way another person dressed. Seems to be an unhealthy level of a need for control.

by Anonymousreply 73August 16, 2015 8:28 PM

What R73 said.

by Anonymousreply 74August 16, 2015 8:33 PM

Its not about us being offended. It's the church's rule. Either respect it, or don't visit their space. It's not exactly a public space you know? To catholics, its very special.

What you losers? You attend a synagogue, mosque, or church or temple, you respect the culture.

Jeezaz H Christ.

by Anonymousreply 75August 16, 2015 8:36 PM

Stay in Six Flags and gaitlinburg if you can't adapt to a different culture than your own. Christ o mighty.

by Anonymousreply 76August 16, 2015 8:38 PM

R75: it's certainly the right of the church to have a dress code. That doesn't make it any less bizarre that they choose to be offended by a tourist wearing cargo shorts while on holiday.

by Anonymousreply 77August 16, 2015 8:41 PM

Have none of you watched 'An Idiot Abroad'?

by Anonymousreply 78August 16, 2015 8:42 PM

Where's that gif of the chomping obese black lady when you need it?

by Anonymousreply 79August 16, 2015 8:44 PM

WITNOF is someone defending the Catholic Fucking Church on a (nominally, at least) gay forum?

by Anonymousreply 80August 16, 2015 8:44 PM

I can't believe anyone finds it "bizarre" that a religion sticks to its rules about their places of worship.

by Anonymousreply 81August 16, 2015 8:46 PM

R81: don't be dense. The bizarre part is that they made such an arbitrary rule in the first place. Do you think Christ had a dress code to be in his presence?

by Anonymousreply 82August 16, 2015 8:48 PM

I don't find it bizarre, either, R81. What is bizarre is that anyone gay is coming to the defense of the Catholic Church for any reason whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 83August 16, 2015 8:49 PM

The rules for getting service at my junk shop were far more draconian,R73.

by Anonymousreply 84August 16, 2015 8:49 PM

Nobody is allowed to take photos of the Mona Lisa, let alone video.

To say a drive to see the ancient Stonehenge is "a waste of time" is to reveal ignorance more profound than the site's mysteries.

IMO, seeing the Eifel Tower from the Trocadero at night far surpassed seeing it from below in daylight.

I was mightily pleased by Yosemite, what with its colorful thermal pools and its geysers, etc., but alas, I was underwhelmed by the huge hole in the ground that is the GC.

I loved Amsterdam the first four times, then I saw the Domino's and the McDonald's , saw no charm in Vondel Park, and got bored with rijstaffels. Ah, well.

r67, as someone who had as a kid been utterly enthralled by the book about the voyage, visiting the Kon Tiki Museum was one of the absolute highlights of my life, not just travels.

by Anonymousreply 85August 16, 2015 8:55 PM

R84: that is your right and I will defend your right to do it. I think that's a separate issue as to whether or not your creation of such rules is bizarre and based more on a need to control as opposed to some functional issue or existential threat.

I have every right to insist anyone entering my home change into a bathrobe before leaving the entryway. That doesn't mean I am not bizarre and void of control issues for doing such a thing.

by Anonymousreply 86August 16, 2015 8:58 PM

I've traveled a good deal and don't have any real negative experiences. We spent a day at the Louvre and as others have said, there is so much to see other than the Mona Lisa. Understanding the ML and it's place in the history of Western art is part of appreciating it. We went to the Eiffel Tower about 4:30 in the afternoon in June. There was a line but no more than a half hour. Went to the Vatican on a tour. There were other tours but the number was limited. We were let in an hour and a half before it was open to the public and we were able to wander about and it wasn't all that crowded. I've been to Portugal, Spain, all over Italy, Paris and the South of France, the Azores and Australia and had a wonderful time at each place. We had heard so much about how Parisians were ill-tempered. They couldn't have been more friendly. I only had some HS French classes but they seemed to really appreciate and effort to speak French.I think a lot has to do with your attitude and how much homework you do before you go.

by Anonymousreply 87August 16, 2015 9:31 PM

These queens here that get upset when they're not allowed to show their pale chicken legs in public are hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 88August 16, 2015 9:41 PM

The idea that some people get so upset about wearing *gasp* shorts is hilarious. Sorry, it isn't the 50s anymore, yes adults can wear shorts.

by Anonymousreply 89August 16, 2015 9:54 PM

It has nothing to do with "show(ing our) pale chicken legs in public," moron attached to R88. It's about comfort.

by Anonymousreply 90August 16, 2015 9:57 PM

where your short and sandals. Nobody's opinion matters. But you are NOT entitled to do whatever you want in certain places in certain cultures. It's as simple as that. There are restaurants where you wont be seated. There are night clubs where you won't get in the door. There are houses of worship where you'll be uncouth and unwelcome. You are not an island of self-entitlement. That's all people are saying. But feel free to walk around Florence in a your garb.

by Anonymousreply 91August 16, 2015 10:01 PM

wear

by Anonymousreply 92August 16, 2015 10:02 PM

[quote]where your short and sandals.

Wear should I where them, crusted asshole?

by Anonymousreply 93August 16, 2015 10:04 PM

The wailing wall:[italic] so many many many Jews [/italic]

by Anonymousreply 94August 16, 2015 10:08 PM

There are a lot of trashy, self-indulgent slobs on this thread.

Ugly Americans.

by Anonymousreply 95August 16, 2015 10:11 PM

Wearing shorts does not make someone a "trashy, self-indulgent slob."

Do you change the stick you have up your ass when you go to Communion at St. Patrick's?

by Anonymousreply 96August 16, 2015 10:13 PM

I feel sad for anyone who feels their self worth is increased in value because they wear slacks to a tourist attraction.

by Anonymousreply 97August 16, 2015 10:14 PM

The short wearers are missing the point on purpose, to troll the thread.

by Anonymousreply 98August 16, 2015 10:15 PM

If you had a point, R98, they might not miss it. But you don't. Except the one on the end of the stick you have up your ass. Of course, you can't SEE the point.

by Anonymousreply 99August 16, 2015 10:18 PM

Agreed -- the Trocadero view is how you best see the Eiffel Tower -- you only go up on the tower to see its construction details or for the views, which you can get from Sacre Coeur and Montmarte.

by Anonymousreply 100August 16, 2015 10:21 PM

Girls , girls! You ALL deserve to be pushed in the Grand Canyon.

by Anonymousreply 101August 16, 2015 10:21 PM

[quote]Nobody is allowed to take photos of the Mona Lisa, let alone video.

Then what's going on in the photo at R10?

by Anonymousreply 102August 16, 2015 10:35 PM

by Anonymousreply 103August 16, 2015 10:35 PM

[quote]I didn't "travel" to Europe, [R39]-I lived in Europe-

Which makes your ignorance and boorish attitude even more pathetic R43.

by Anonymousreply 104August 16, 2015 11:02 PM

Oh why not.... I was underwhelmed by the pyramids and Sphinx, and the difference between peak- and off-season traveling is hard to overstate.

I've been to Paris in early January and in early September; the former was fun, it was easy to experience and enjoy all sorts of things and the people were fine, but w. the latter, I about wouldn't do it again for free.

by Anonymousreply 105August 16, 2015 11:11 PM

Underwhelmed by the Pyramids? ! ? What have you ever marvelled at?

by Anonymousreply 106August 16, 2015 11:16 PM

[quote]I was mightily pleased by Yosemite, what with its colorful thermal pools and its geysers, etc., but alas, I was underwhelmed by the huge hole in the ground that is the GC.

There are no thermal pools or geysers in Yosemite. You're thinking of Yellowstone, two states away.

by Anonymousreply 107August 17, 2015 12:06 AM

[quote]Wearing shorts does not make someone a "trashy, self-indulgent slob."

Yes, in some places it does. Sorry you are too trashy to realize that.

by Anonymousreply 108August 17, 2015 12:51 AM

R108: you are trying way too hard to overcompensate. Did you grow up in a trailer park or something?

by Anonymousreply 109August 17, 2015 1:01 AM

In reply to R9, that's exactly what happened to me on the way to the Eiffel Tower. The lady picked up a ring on the ground and said it was gold. Anybody could see it was just brass. Anyway she pushed it on us and then asked (demanded) money. To get rid of her I offered an euro, but she wanted more. So obvious. Take your ring back. Avoid talking to strange people that approach you. All tourist sites are like this.

by Anonymousreply 110August 17, 2015 1:05 AM

People who think wearing shorts in European cities, especially to the Vatican (and, probably, the Vienna Opera) were raised by lower-to-middle class parents who just didn't know any better. They are to be pitied rather than scorned.

by Anonymousreply 111August 17, 2015 1:13 AM

Calling them trashy self-indulgent slobs is your idea of pity rather than scorn?

In my experience, those who truly were raised in the upper crust don't go around calling people out like that. They might joke in private back home, but usually don't act as the etiquette police in public.

Usually, it's those of low breeding who are trying to present as a 1% who behave that way. They are overcompensating by trying to take on the affect they see in pop culture combined with how they speculate someone of a higher class would behave in real life.

by Anonymousreply 112August 17, 2015 1:19 AM

[quote]Usually, it's those of low breeding who are trying to present as a 1% who behave that way. They are overcompensating by trying to take on the affect they see in pop culture combined with how they speculate someone of a higher class would behave in real life.

This is also why they vote Repuglican.

by Anonymousreply 113August 17, 2015 1:22 AM

R112 Your speculations about people you know nothing about are rather droll.

by Anonymousreply 114August 17, 2015 1:25 AM

Only the most gauche, trashiest person who EVER FUCKING LIVED would try to wear shorts into the Vatican.

Christ, people have no sense and no taste.

by Anonymousreply 115August 17, 2015 1:28 AM

I don't pretend to be aristocracy, but I am the product of fairly wealthy parents and an English, public school education. I have lived in France, Italy, and America.

And, yes, it is seen as quintessentially "vulgar American" to wear shorts and/or tennis shoes in European cities. Sorry, but that is the way we see it.

by Anonymousreply 116August 17, 2015 1:30 AM

Whatever. we wore trousers and polos, went through the holy door so we will see each other in paradise, and then we had lunch at the Mirabelle terrace at the Hotel Splendide Royal.

Dress like a slob and you'll be treated like one too.

I don't have a single Saudi, Lebanese, Egyptian, Swiss, French or German friend, over the age of 30, who would walk around a European capital city wearing shorts. Miami, Cannes or Monte Carlo, yes, during the day. Beach cities, OK as well. Ibiza, yes. Rome NO.

by Anonymousreply 117August 17, 2015 1:34 AM

R115: even if that's true, another person who isn't connected in any way to those people who gets so venomously fired up over it has some hidden issue of their own. If I notice a stranger making a faux pas, I just don't ever take it personally. It's none of my business.

Those who crusade over such things are unstable in some way:

A. They are control freaks

B. The are phonies

C. They are self loathers who can't handle the mirror being held up to their own upbringing by that gauche stranger

I stand by my original analysis. It's bizarre and kind of sad...

by Anonymousreply 118August 17, 2015 1:35 AM

[quote]If I notice a stranger making a faux pas, I just don't ever take it personally. It's none of my business.

This is a message board, moron. Not the steps of the Vatican.

We are allowed to express opinions about matters raised. Indeed, we are expected to. In doing so, we are not trying to exert control over people who may be trying to enter the Vatican in sloppy attire at this time.

You are the one -- so defensive! -- who seems to have the issues. Perspective, being one of them.

by Anonymousreply 119August 17, 2015 1:41 AM

Nice try R119. If that's true, then why have I been attacked for giving my opinion on a message board. Isn't that what I am expected to do?

The gentleman who has ranted about shorts in Europe has thrown out ugly names in response to someone who did that respectfully. In addition, he is the one who up thread went on and on with trolling posts about not finding the Walmart off the tube, Pizza Hut in Rome, or enough cable channels in the hotel room. All that before shorts were even brought up.

He is clearly unhinged about 'ugly american' tourists. That sort of venom is usually the product of familiarity. Either he is one of them and hates himself for it, it he was raised by them and is trying way too hard to cover that up.

I personally don't care what people wear to the Vatican. No defensiveness here...

by Anonymousreply 120August 17, 2015 1:48 AM

When I was a kid the Pieta was at the NY World's Fair I was in catholic grammar school at the time and all the nuns went too see it and they went on and on about it. So I went to the fair with my parents and waited in line for over an hour. When we got near it, we were quickly rushed through. It was a white statue we barely had time to look at. Big fucking deal. The Italians in Brooklyn had nicer statues in their outdoor tubs, I thought.

I was very young and was expecting some kind of religious experience. I at least expected they would have it bathed in halo-ish light. It was a disappointment. That's when I first suspected religion was a crock of shit.

I was reminded of it years later when I took my nephew to see Santa at Macy's in Herald Square. Wait, wait, wait forever and then suddenly the "elves" grabbed him, ran him into a cardboard cubicle where Santa was sitting, an elf . photographer took a Polaroid with a flash and temporarily blinded the poor kid. He just wanted to meet this magical guy who was supposed to love children and he felt unjustifiably manhandled and photographed without his permission. He cried his eyes out

I never cried about the Pieta, but my religious aspirations were shattered.

by Anonymousreply 121August 17, 2015 1:49 AM

I remember a Yelp review of Boston's Paul Revere House a couple years back where the reviewer complained about not being allowed to carry his Starbucks through the house ("it was COLD that day") and anyhow the interior was "dated" and in need of redecorating.

by Anonymousreply 122August 17, 2015 1:59 AM

[quote]The gentleman who has ranted about shorts in Europe has thrown out ugly names in response to someone who did that respectfully. In addition, he is the one who up thread went on and on with trolling posts about not finding the Walmart off the tube, Pizza Hut in Rome, or enough cable channels in the hotel room. All that before shorts were even brought up.

Those were "jokes" -- like you, only intentional.

by Anonymousreply 123August 17, 2015 2:00 AM

I wrote the joke reviews simply because I thought it would amuse people.

But I am not American. And I certainly don't come from a low-class background.

I think someone is projecting. And rather strenuously, poor thing.

by Anonymousreply 124August 17, 2015 2:02 AM

Fair enough R123: if I am to take your entire thread as parody, then I will leave it at that. Here's hoping the general public of the world does a better job moving forward when it comes to meeting your standards!

by Anonymousreply 125August 17, 2015 2:04 AM

HISSSSSSS!

by Anonymousreply 126August 17, 2015 2:05 AM

I like to think I'm not an ugly American, but it is true that the service you receive in Europe is not up to the same standards as the US. I'm talking about in nice restaurants and museums and not in places where service sucks in the US. The hoteliers are generally pretty good, though. I've never been to Rome, so I cannot weigh in on shorts. The Christians in Switzerland and Austria didn't seem to mind the hordes of shorts-wearing Chinese tourists in their churches, though.

by Anonymousreply 127August 17, 2015 2:13 AM

Its a rule at the vatican basilica, not necessarily avery catholic church - most of which you can simply walk into. And protestant cathedrals are different than catholic ones, of course

You can't just walk around a mosque in muslim countries either, you must remove your shoes, for example.

by Anonymousreply 128August 17, 2015 2:18 AM

To those who are upset at how artificial the area around Niagra Falls looks ---- Niagara Falls looks nothing like what the Indians saw before the Europeans arrived. . Since white men first saw the falls, they've been messing about with them. They've been manipulated to an extent the Indians wouldn't recognise them even if you took away the buildings and the amusement park.

They're also filled with toxic and radioactive waste.

by Anonymousreply 129August 17, 2015 2:40 AM

Lord Byron was a horrible tourist He carved his name at Chateau de Chillon

by Anonymousreply 130August 17, 2015 2:47 AM

R9, that ring scam happened to me in Paris. We fell for it. Ended up giving the little gypsy some cash. We saw the same scam happening later and realized we'd been had. Still have the ring though as a fun memory.

by Anonymousreply 131August 17, 2015 3:00 AM

Travel when you are young and poor or old and rich. It would be nice if you could have done your travel a few decades ago as well.

by Anonymousreply 132August 17, 2015 3:14 AM

They tried the ring scam on me in Frankfurt a couple years ago. I finally told the guy to go fuck himself and threw the ring into the street. I thought he was going to hit me.

FYI, it was a standard brass compression fitting (top left at link) heavily polished to look like gold.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133August 17, 2015 3:23 AM

Oh for fuck's sake, they don't want American tourists wearing shorts in the Vatican, because it might cause naughty thoughts in the repressed old queens who run the place!

Please take this as the last word on the subject, because it's made more sense than any of your blather about what's classy and what isn't.

by Anonymousreply 134August 17, 2015 3:53 AM

I've lived in NY all my life and still haven't been to the Statue of Liberty. I've gone past it in boats a few times and friends had a view of it from their balcony (in a middle income housing project), which was nice

(Yes, we used to have middle income housing projects.)

A coworker was bitching about not being allowed to visit he Wailing Wall because she had her period and was thus considered "unclean." I said, "Why the fuck did you tell them you had your period? Did they CHECK?" Duh. Women are still unable to pray at the Wailing Wall. More ridiculous religious nonsense.

I never visited WTC. I thought it was an architectural abomination to the (then) low rise downtown skyline. Many quaint old buildings and cobblestone streets were downtown and I felt those bland shiny boxes looming over them were an affront to the history of the place. If no one had been killed on 9/11, I would have been ok with the demolition of the buildings. they always creeped me out. I would take visitors to the top of the Empire State Building, but not to WTC. I did take them to Century 21, though. It was a big destination for overseas visitors looking for a bargain. The old Israeli-owned electronic stores were a big destination, too.

I'm shocked at how many people still visit the Apple Store. Isn't there one in every mall now?

by Anonymousreply 135August 17, 2015 4:06 AM

The High Line is an overrun tourist spot now.

The food on Arthur Avenue in the Bronx is overrated. Any decent Italian restaurant in the boroughs is just as good. And it's too small to be a new Little Italy. It's almost as small as the original Little Italy is now.

by Anonymousreply 136August 17, 2015 4:20 AM

[quote]Nobody is allowed to take photos of the Mona Lisa, let alone video. [quote]Then what's going on in the photo at [R10]?

Busted! lol!

by Anonymousreply 137August 17, 2015 5:01 AM

r106 I tend to marvel more at spectacular natural terrain than at man-made things, though I enjoyed going up in the Statue of Liberty and the Gateway Arch, like the Pei-designed museum in Qatar. I've marveled at the redwoods, the rolling English countryside at its greenest best, at desolate parts of the Saudi desert where the rusty red dunes stretch several hundred feet high.

by Anonymousreply 138August 17, 2015 6:04 AM

Has anyone been to Monument Valley? What's it like IRL? I always like the scenery in Once Upon a Time in the West

by Anonymousreply 139August 17, 2015 6:12 AM

I agree with you on natural v. man-made attractions.

One of the most breath-taking things I've ever done, although it was probably too simple for most people to enjoy, was a full-moon hike in the White Sands National Monument. Those white dunes are not sand but gypsum, and they glow in the dark. Another nice thing is that you can get gypsum in your shoes and it doesn't irritate you like sand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140August 17, 2015 6:18 AM

The Gateway Arch? Please.

The ride in the creaky ferris wheel car to the top is the only moderately interesting thing about it, but it doesn't begin to make up for the boring museum, and the fact that once you're at the top all there is to do is look out some scratched and foggy little plexiglass portholes at (take your pick) Downtown St. Louis or East St. Louis, Illinois. I said take your pick? Well Hell, do both--it'll still take you less than 20 seconds per side because there's nothing to fucking look at in either direction.

Besides, they tore down the most interesting and historically significant neighborhood in St. Louis to build it (think St. Louis' French Quarter) and the town's never recovered.

by Anonymousreply 141August 17, 2015 9:41 AM

It sucks, R139.

Dust gets all over your car and clothes. Also boring. Unless you like looking at dirt and road.

by Anonymousreply 142August 17, 2015 9:54 AM

R140 weren't you afeared you would be attacked in the dark?

by Anonymousreply 143August 17, 2015 10:06 AM

[quote]Niagara Falls looks nothing like what the Indians saw before the Europeans arrived.

This is true, since we have diverted so much of the water that used to flow over the falls to a hydroelectric plant. It must have been spectacular.

Plus, the falls keeps eroding further back (although this has been a much slower change.)

by Anonymousreply 144August 17, 2015 12:54 PM

Bwah! Right you are, r107! Got my national parks confuzzled! Well, whataya want, it was back in 1975! But I remember liking Yosemite, also!

by Anonymousreply 145August 17, 2015 6:57 PM

1950st-t Cyanamid Niagara PlantChemical plants, factories and the US military begin disposing of toxic waste in mass quantities into the Niagara Gorge. The surrounding municipalities continue releasing raw sewage into the Niagara River. The practice continues throughout the next 2 decades. Fish and waterfowl populations begin to wane. It isn’t until the environmental movement of the late 1980s that laws are either enacted or enforced to cut off these sources of pollution. As a result of decades of poor environmental protection, the Niagara River and specifically the Niagara Falls area, today has one of the highest concentrations of toxic waste sites in North America. Currently toxic substances from decommissioned plants and disposal sites continue to seep into the river.

by Anonymousreply 146August 17, 2015 8:58 PM

1892- William T. Love, who owned a large portion of land along the east side of the falls, began digging a canal to surpass the falls. The canal was to be the foundation for a dream community where the rushing waters of the canal would provide nearby businesses and homes continuous, cheap power.

1910- Advancements in alternating current made the long distance transfer of electricity a reality and the need for the William T. Love’s Canal waned. Plans were abandoned and only a ditch remained.

1920- William T. Love’s land and failed canal were sold to the City of Niagara Falls to be used as a landfill for chemical waste disposal.

1947- Hooker Chemical and Plastics Corporation acquires the Love Canal property for the purpose of disposing toxic waste

1952- Hooker Chemical and Plastics Corporation fills the Love Canal ditch to capacity with an estimated 22,000 tons of toxic materials. The site is capped with a clay covering and closed.

1953- In desperate need of land, the Niagara Falls School Board insists on the sale of adjacent Love Canal land to the board for the construction of a new school. They purchase the land for $1 and receive a disclaimer that the land is contaminated and not to build on it. Construction is relocated when contractors dig into pockets of toxic waste. Unfortunately, the building site is relocated directly on top of the capped canal. During the construction, contractors break the seal. The school and about 100 homes are built on the site.

August 1, 1978-- The New York Times breaks the Love Canal story documenting links between toxic contamination and birth defects, infections, miscarriages, cancer, asthma and other illnesses that plagued the neighborhood.

August 7, 1978t- Jimmy Carter declares a federal emergency for the Love Canal neighborhood. The closest residents are relocated.

May 1980- The U.S. government decides to temporarily relocate upwards of 800 more Love Canal residents.

You don't hear anything more about Love Canal after 1980 Gee, I wonder what happened in 1980 that made the media and government drop the story of Love Canal?

by Anonymousreply 147August 17, 2015 9:38 PM

I agree with those who say the best way to see the Eiffel Tower is from Trocadero. My suggestion is to take the Metro and get off at Place Trocadero. When you come up to street level, you are in front of one of the Museums and can't see the ET. You walk toward the Esplanade and turn to face the tower. At night, with the lights and fountains going full blast, it is really beautiful and enjoyable to walk down all the steps and cross the river.

R121) I had the same experience with the Pieta at the NY World's Fair. My memory is that you were on a moving sidewalk in front of it, so that you couldn't have stopped if you wanted to.

The most underwhelming historical site I ever visited was the Alamo. Everyone I know who has been says the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 148August 17, 2015 9:42 PM

"Has anyone been to Monument Valley? What's it like IRL?"

Drove through it as part of a road trip last year, and it was amazing! There were a few rain showers traveling through the area, which gave everything dramatic lights and shadows, and which kept me the fuck off any dirt roads.

And IMHO a road trip is the right way to see it, because a lot of the nearby landscape is just as spectacular, or more so. The Colorado Platea and red-rock country are nearby, three fantastic national parks (Bryce Canyon, Zion, and the Grand Canyon) are a couple of hours away, and there's the Painted Desert region. I've drive through the Painted Desert region twice in my life, which has a mind-boggling, fascinating, unearthly beauty. Everyone who can appreciate deserts needs to take a road trip through northern Arizona, incluing but not limited to Monument Valley.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149August 17, 2015 9:46 PM

R148, what were your expectations of the Alamo?

by Anonymousreply 150August 17, 2015 10:19 PM

I was looking for my bicycle

by Anonymousreply 151August 17, 2015 10:22 PM

I remember my mother brought a mantilla with her to the World's Fair to wear when we went to see the Pieta.

I remember loving the smell of Belgian waffles at the Fair but not liking the waffles' taste. I never liked fruit and pastry together. In the 1960s I got dragged to a million weddings and the wedding cakes had awful lemon goo inside, which spoiled the cake for me. I didn't like apple turnovers, jelly donuts or any kind of fruit pie. Plus I didn't like creamy things like whipped cream or sweet cannoli cream. I still don't. My Sicilian American friends think I am insane. Every dessert of theirs has cream or glazed fruit in it. Anyway, the strawberries and the whipped cream were too much for my stringent tastes. I wouldn't eat the waffle because it was "contaminated" with juice from the strawberries. I have a close relative who owns a restaurant and I never eat dessert there because it's all creamy and/or fruity stuff. Rice pudding, strawberry shortcake, fruity bread pudding, apple "crisp" (which isn't crisp). I always tell them I'm too stuffed to eat dessert. Hey, it keeps me slim.

I remember being so damned hot and sweaty at the World's Fair. Was it open seasonally?

by Anonymousreply 152August 17, 2015 11:04 PM

What a delicate little rosebud you are, R152. I can't imagine anyone catering to your exceptional pickiness.

by Anonymousreply 153August 17, 2015 11:18 PM

It's a digression, but what the heck: LOVED the 1964 WF! Yes, there was a moving walkway going past the Pieta (behind glass). I remember the Ford exhibit, for some reason. Ate an eggroll for the first time. But the coolest memory for me is that my h.s. band played there in some outdoors band shell.

by Anonymousreply 154August 17, 2015 11:19 PM

I bought one of those green plastic Sinclair dinosaurs where you put a quarter into a machine and watched the whole process of it being poured into a mold.. Mold-a-Rama. I was only allowed to buy 2 souvenirs because my parents were cheap bastards so I got that and a pack of picture cards of World's Fair exhibits.

Sinclair had great-looking gas stations. There were some really futuristic looking ones. Some of the spaceship-like Sinclair station buildings stayed around for a while. One became a really popular Italian takeout place that was around until about 1990 in my area. They had great calzones. Another, more traditional station is still in the town I now live in. It was expanded and turned into a car dealership that went out of business about 25 years ago and various supermarket-type businesses keep trying to get permission to open there but it is at a really critical road junction that would tie up tourist traffic for hours in the summertime.

Sinclair was the only fun oil company. Maybe it's because they disappeared before oil spills began polluting waterways.

by Anonymousreply 155August 18, 2015 12:29 AM

R116 is correct - shorts and tennis shoes is considered vulgar wear in many countries.

by Anonymousreply 156August 18, 2015 2:05 AM

[quote]Sinclair was the only fun oil company. Maybe it's because they disappeared before oil spills began polluting waterways.

We still have Sinclair in the Midwest. They still put the green dinosaurs on the roof.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157August 18, 2015 4:27 PM

I bet no one has visited Iran.

by Anonymousreply 158August 18, 2015 4:39 PM

Jesus, they make you go through security for the stupid Statue of Liberty? Does any of you idiots see the irony in that? Freedom my ass. A bunch of phony scaredy-cat crap thanks to Israel and the NeoCons who blew up NYC on 9-11. Of course, I'm the only one who mentions security at a statue that represents freedom. Stupid idiots stuck on InstaIdiot and NSAbook and your stupid spy phones all day.

Too bad people aren't idiots anymore. When I vacation, I go where you idiots aren't. I have miles upon miles to myself.

You'd kill yourself because there isn't any WiFi to watch your stupid crap like Housewives. Fcuking cunts.

by Anonymousreply 159August 18, 2015 6:19 PM

R159 doesn't need no stinkin' wifi! His tin foil hat gets gorgeous reception

by Anonymousreply 160August 18, 2015 6:45 PM

What about the Acropolis in Athens? Is it worth going to Greece for it?

by Anonymousreply 161August 18, 2015 7:32 PM

Don't talk to strangers. Esp. Blacks!

by Anonymousreply 162August 18, 2015 8:26 PM

I went to Niagara Falls on a day when they were frozen and they were stunning. But it is a tourist trap on the Canadian side, and an industrial wasteland on the American side.

by Anonymousreply 163June 10, 2020 5:02 AM

Taj Mahal. First, India is an experience that I only want once in my life. Next, the TM is beautiful from the distance, but as you get closer, it is dirty and not an overwhelming architectural masterpiece. Second, the scammers surrounding the facility are numerous. Imagine your worst nightmare of a scammer calling you about your computer, only 10xs worse.

One of the great scams is the requirement that you must take an electric cart unless you plan to walk some distance in the heat. The reason...air pollution! LMAO. The air pollution is so terrible that an army of electric carts would not make a dent in the smog. When I pointed that out to my electric cart driver, he said the smog around TM was from another city, not their city because they used electric carts.

by Anonymousreply 164June 10, 2020 5:25 AM

I wish people would just stay home. What do they gain by having looked at the Eiffel Tower or whatever? Bragging rights? They don't become better people. I know a fellow who travels every year and always has something negative to say about whatever place he's been or its people.

by Anonymousreply 165June 10, 2020 8:22 AM

R163 must be the 2015 Bump Troll. And he has more than one pseudo because I have blocked other 2015 Pump Trolls here.

I think you are bloodcurdlingly insane, 2015 Bump Troll! Die in a Greasefire! I think you are bloodcurdlingly insane, 2015 Bump Troll! Die in a Greasefire! I think you are bloodcurdlingly insane, 2015 Bump Troll! Die in a Greasefire! I think you are bloodcurdlingly insane, 2015 Bump Troll! Die in a Greasefire! I think you are bloodcurdlingly insane, 2015 Bump Troll! Die in a Greasefire! I think you are bloodcurdlingly insane, 2015 Bump Troll! Die in a Greasefire! I think you are bloodcurdlingly insane, 2015 Bump Troll! Die in a Greasefire! I think you are bloodcurdlingly insane, 2015 Bump Troll! Die in a Greasefire! I think you are bloodcurdlingly insane, 2015 Bump Troll! Die in a Greasefire! I think you are bloodcurdlingly insane, 2015 Bump Troll! Die in a Greasefire! I think you are bloodcurdlingly insane, 2015 Bump Troll! Die in a Greasefire! I think you are bloodcurdlingly insane, 2015 Bump Troll! Die in a Greasefire! I think you are bloodcurdlingly insane, 2015 Bump Troll! Die in a Greasefire! I think you are bloodcurdlingly insane, 2015 Bump Troll! Die in a Greasefire!

by Anonymousreply 166June 10, 2020 9:09 AM

Folks just wanna update their facebooks or whatever with pictures and tags of being at these places for they don't feel left out.

by Anonymousreply 167June 10, 2020 10:12 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!