Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is the gay domination of Broadway overstated?

I saw another thread talking about Marvin Hamlisch's "They're Playing My Song", this lead me to watch the video and then Google Marvin Hamlisch. According to his wiki page he was straight, I had assumed he was gay. So I nosed around to some other popular Broadway figures and they are also straight.

Can someone please suggest a book or web source that talks specifically about the contribution LGBT have made to the industry. Does such a source exist?

by Anonymousreply 8August 23, 2020 2:12 AM

Audience-wise?

Not on your Nelly.

by Anonymousreply 1August 14, 2015 4:10 PM

TOTALLY STRAIGHT! Only a deluded fag would think otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 2August 14, 2015 4:27 PM

On a related note, always amazes that there is as many (or indeed any) straight male ballet dancers as there so evidently appears to be.

by Anonymousreply 3August 14, 2015 4:38 PM

There is no material nowhere nohow about homosexuals and the history of Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 4August 14, 2015 7:28 PM

I'm genuinely interested in this, if anybody has a moment.

by Anonymousreply 5August 14, 2015 7:53 PM

R5 I'm sorry. I hate when I ask something here earnestly and people just make fun of me and post stupid sarcastic things. If you don't know, just don't answer.

by Anonymousreply 6August 22, 2020 9:54 PM

OP, I have also tried to go down this road, and I do not think that there is a book for this. There are a couple of books from the gay consumer's perspective, like D.A. Miller's "A Place for Us" and Clum's "Something for the Boys", but not from the industry perspective. Not that I was able to find anyway. I think this just reflects the reality that Broadway is not necessarily dominated by a gay creative agenda. My takeaway was that a Broadway show is such a complex and large collaborative undertaking that statistics naturally work against having a majority of gay creative and performance personnel.

by Anonymousreply 7August 22, 2020 10:07 PM

I wonder, though, without having any personal experience, if it is community theater that actually might be the super gay one.

by Anonymousreply 8August 23, 2020 2:12 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!