Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Midtown Pizzeria Makes ‘Pic-a-Nika’ Slice With Fried Chicken & Watermelon

MIDTOWN, Manhattan – A midtown Pizzeria is proudly serving a new slice called “Pic-a-Nika” featuring toppings like Southern fried chicken, sea-salted watermelon, and sunflower seed crust.

A viewer emailed PIX11 saying he walked into his usual lunch spot at Pizza by Certé on 56th and Lexington Avenue when he was shocked by what was on display as the “pizza of the month.”

“I went there today and there was a new pizza that they are selling called “pic-a-nika” which sounded very horrible when I read it. It was when I read the description I knew that the name was in fact racist.”

The “Pic-a-Nika” features toppings like Southern fried chicken, sea-salted watermelon, and sunflower seed crust with arugula, goat cheese, ricotta, and bleu cheese.

The company promoted the “pizza of the month” on Facebook with the caption “#perfectsummerpizza .”

The manager of Pizza by Certé, Victor Guzman, told PIX11 that they’re aware of the problem because someone wrote to them on Twitter. They are not selling it Thursday night, but it’s not off the menu and the management has no plans to change that.

Guzman said that the pizza is one of their best-sellers. He explained they don’t plan to change the name because it’s an “Italian pronunciation.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 23, 2020 6:41 PM

Wow, imagine that. I'm black, and I love pizza. It seems as if the person who reported this was black and pissed off that his favorite pizza place was run by a racist.

My goodness is your hate that real that you have to make a pizza out of it and put it on display?

by Anonymousreply 1August 14, 2015 11:47 AM

And the pizzeria gets what it wants...... attention. He could've just called it Picnic Pizza if that was his 'intention' ............ can't imagine how it tastes .........if it was taken off the menu, it is probably because no one was buying that nasty shit.

by Anonymousreply 2August 14, 2015 12:31 PM

Why do rappers use that term?

by Anonymousreply 3August 14, 2015 12:35 PM

Passive aggressive racism is real in 2015, I live in NYC, and I will never step foot in that joke of a pizzeria. @R3 the reason why rappers use that term is irrelevant, just know that the word is ugly coming out of anyone's mouth.

by Anonymousreply 4August 14, 2015 12:59 PM

Oh, God. I just got it.

At first, I thought it sounded like the Italian pronunciation, too, if a little exaggerated.

by Anonymousreply 5August 14, 2015 1:22 PM

watermelon on pizza? My heart stopped briefly when I read that.

by Anonymousreply 6August 14, 2015 2:10 PM

This is offensive no matter how you slice it.

by Anonymousreply 7August 23, 2020 6:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!