Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Broadway in Bryant?

Have any of you bitches been to this in Bryant Park in Manhattan?

In theory it sounds interesting. Broadway performers singing numbers from current plays in a free event. But I just hate it. Reasons?

First, the acoustics are awful, and the performances are just completely removed from context. The singer stands up on a temporary stage dressed in jeans and a t shirt (and this is not a criticism of the performers at all). And let's admit it, the plays themselves are pretty awful these days.

Second, it's sponsored by lite-fm, which is owned by the horrible rightwing Clear Channel.

Worst of all is its one of these stunts done on the lawn at Bryant Park which have increasingly been shutting the lawn down to public use. The past few years this lawn is almost always closed unless one of these "events" is being done here.

People who don't work in midtown might not realize how few green spaces there are to just sit and relax. That is EXTREMELY important to mental health and Bryant Park is the only large green space in the area. But instead of sitting on the grass and relaxing, you have to sit on the gravel path around it, looking at the roped off lawn. Or you can join the mob when an event is held, and listen to someone screech a show tune ....

by Anonymousreply 9August 23, 2020 6:54 PM

The antichrist listens to Clear Channel stations exclusively.

by Anonymousreply 1August 13, 2015 5:10 PM

Theres a park in Albany ny that used to host plays and musicals with actors from the city. I saw My Fair Lady there and was blown away by how enjoyable it was .

by Anonymousreply 2August 13, 2015 5:15 PM

I have read that somewhere R1

by Anonymousreply 3August 13, 2015 5:15 PM

R2 that sounds great but I'm sure that park is mostly opened and available for quiet enjoyment by the public.

This lawn has increasingly been used as a stage for corporate sponsored events and is closed at other times -- to keep it nice and green for Bank of America and Clear Channel.

by Anonymousreply 4August 13, 2015 5:18 PM

The closures of the grass at BP are a total bummer. Give it back to us, park people!

by Anonymousreply 5August 13, 2015 8:03 PM

I went this year and it was actually very nice. I got there right when it started, found a chair, got a nice spot on the lawn and watched all the performances. The performances I saw were GREAT (Amazing Grace, Something Rotten, Allegiance), but the hosts were AWFUL.

by Anonymousreply 6August 18, 2015 11:09 PM

Bryant Park? Really? Bums asleep everywhere, hypodermic needles all over the ground, huge piles of human excrement and the stench of urine everywhere? Bryant Park? Really? Really?

by Anonymousreply 7August 19, 2015 1:23 AM

Are you a time traveler?

by Anonymousreply 8August 19, 2015 5:43 AM

OP, if you don't like it, don't go.

by Anonymousreply 9August 23, 2020 6:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!