Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why Did Mike Brady Turn Gay In Hawaii?

OK Robert Reed was a pretty nice looking but average joe. Then he leaves for his vacation in Hawaii with straight hair and Mike Brady gets out of the plane with curly hair. Robert Reed clearly decided his "straight" lifestyle was over and he was gonna camp it up from that point on. Then he grew his "fabulous" mustache and what was already obvious to 99% of us, what obvious to the rest of the world. Robert Reed = Gay.

by Anonymousreply 151December 8, 2020 5:17 AM

Why yes, op. It is. How astute of you to notice.

It's where I first fucked him in the ass, after he found the tiki.

That's why I got sent away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 13, 2015 2:52 PM

only on a sunday

by Anonymousreply 2August 13, 2015 2:52 PM

I always wondered why Robert Reed never looked in a mirror he was SO HANDSOME, then he ruined his look by "gaying out" after the Hawaii episode.

by Anonymousreply 3August 13, 2015 2:59 PM

He did a full makeover, including updating his wardrobe. He had just turned 40 and it was a mid-life crisis more than anything, I think.

Apparently both Barry Williams and Florence Henderson have claimed that Reed's hair was naturally curly, but I don't think that's true.

by Anonymousreply 4August 13, 2015 3:42 PM

Robert Reed did have naturally curly hair. It took him more effort to part it and comb it flat than it did to let it go. He got out of the plane in Hawaii with curly hair because when they flew to Hawaii to film that scene, the sea air made his combed-straight hair turn so frizzy, he just went with it. I do believe he had it permed and styled after that, but like the rest of him, it was always the natural inclination of his hair to be something other than straight,

by Anonymousreply 5August 13, 2015 3:59 PM

Well, and the curly hair was easier to get a convincing toupee with back then, too. Shatner and Burt Reynolds had the permed look well into the 1980s. I don't know exactly when Reed started wearing a toupee but he did eventually have to.

by Anonymousreply 6August 13, 2015 4:02 PM

Because he got lei-d when he stepped off of the plane,

by Anonymousreply 7August 13, 2015 4:36 PM

Robert Reed did a brief blackout skit for Love, American Style that involved him laying out nude, centerfold style, with some strategically placed flowers. Do any of you remember seeing this? Are there any photos or videos of it?

I was only a little boy at the time, but I have this distinct image in my memory -- "Mr. Brady naked!"

I would like to see it again, to make sure I didn't just imagine it...

by Anonymousreply 8August 13, 2015 5:02 PM

Taboo!

by Anonymousreply 9August 13, 2015 5:04 PM

Ohhhhh, Mike...I told you the perm made you look like a homosexual.

by Anonymousreply 10August 13, 2015 7:44 PM

A friend of mine helped run a gay bar in West Hollywood for most the 1970s and early 1980s and always said that he thought it was common knowledge that Reed was gay. He would often end the night with taking home some young thing, sometimes a hustler. Perhaps some of those guys thought it was a thrill to be doing it with Mike Brady.

by Anonymousreply 11August 13, 2015 9:00 PM

Mike was so hot in his tiny near speedo-like swim suit in Hawaii.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 13, 2015 9:27 PM

He doesn't look like he had much between his legs. Did the produces of Brady Bunch make him pull everything back?

by Anonymousreply 13August 13, 2015 11:07 PM

In Hawaii? Honey, I knew he was gay long before that. Why do you think I asked him to design my factory?

by Anonymousreply 14August 14, 2015 4:04 AM

I just remember the big-ass spider on Peter's hot naked chest in Vincent Price's cave. Then, I knew I was gay.

by Anonymousreply 15August 14, 2015 5:43 AM

Alice's caftan in R12's picture is fan-fucking-tastic.

by Anonymousreply 16August 14, 2015 11:06 AM

I recently saw an episode of Father Knows Best where he is cast as a potential love interest for Betty. While he does not have the full 70's afro going, his hair is very wavy. His voice and mannerisms were also much more flamboyant.

by Anonymousreply 17August 14, 2015 11:30 AM

He did a post-Brady, TV movie of the week in the mid 70s called "Nightmare in Badham County" about two co-eds who are sent to a women's prison after false evidence is planted on them by the corrupt sheriff of the small town through which they are travelling - basically a precursor to the "Angels in Chains" episode of "Charlie's Angels". He played one of the corrupt prison administrators who promises to reduce their sentence if one of the co-eds sleeps with him. As a young gayling, I remember thinking she should totally take his deal!

(According to IMDB, it was this TV movie that gave Deborah Raffin (C-list actress in the US) her icon status in China.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 14, 2015 12:34 PM

Was he knock kneed or is he standing weird in R12's picture?

The first time I watched the Brady Bunch was at my grandmother's house in 1992 and it sucked me in. My mom took me to see The Real Life Brady Bunch at the Kennedy Center a few years later. I haven't watched it in years but now I want to find it somewhere online with a bowl and fish tacos.

by Anonymousreply 19August 14, 2015 12:55 PM

Cissy had a crush on him when he was her teacher

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 14, 2015 1:23 PM

Was Reed a bottom or a top?

by Anonymousreply 21August 14, 2015 2:08 PM

Bottom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 14, 2015 2:12 PM

He got the ass cancer so I'd say bottom.

by Anonymousreply 23August 14, 2015 2:27 PM

R20, I didn't know that was him. That was a weird "Family Affair", perhaps that's repetitive. Reed played Cissy's psych teacher who had progressive ideas about how children should be raised. Due to his philosophy, Cissy turns into a cold, analytical sibling. Uncle Bill is suspicious of him and invites him over. The twins cause him to explode, suggesting his theories are all book learned with no practical knowledge. Cissy is devastated but returns to being a loving, caring sister.

by Anonymousreply 24August 14, 2015 2:29 PM

I had to do it somewhere; Carol always said, "don't play with your balls in the house."

by Anonymousreply 25August 14, 2015 3:07 PM

There was no sitcom that was as morose as Family Affair. They never swept the death of the parents under the rug. That saddest sitcom episode ever was the one when Jody was so attached to his teacher because she looked so much like his mother. Only he was too young to realize it. When she quit he went into a severe depression over her departure. No one could figure out why until they invited the teacher over the house. The look on Cissy's face was nothing that should have entertained kids...but alas we got it.

I'm digressing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 14, 2015 3:15 PM

In the 60s, even in sit coms, kids were treated as real human beings.

Not a sit-com, but recently I saw a rerun of Emergency! where they explored the syndrome of suicide in very young children.

by Anonymousreply 27August 14, 2015 3:24 PM

"That saddest sitcom episode ever was the one when Jody was so attached to his teacher because she looked so much like his mother."

How about the episode where Buffy's ill friend (I think she was played by Eve Plumb) dies? And the one where a little black girl tells Buffy and Jody she lives in a big house and has a famous, successful father, but in reality lives in very modest circumstances and has no father. And the episode where the football player father of a friend of Jodie's gets in trouble; Jodie is disappointed and no longer wants to have anything to do with either one of them. Both father and son seem crushed by Jodie's rejection. "Family Affair" was ALWAYS pulling on the heartstrings.

by Anonymousreply 28August 14, 2015 3:46 PM

"Family Affair" was the "Six Feet Under" of its time.

by Anonymousreply 29August 14, 2015 3:51 PM

[R28] I loved that episode. Buffy goes to visit Albertine and says the window box is a pretty garden. Albertine replies "It's not a garden, it's a kitchen, a dirty ol' kitchen".

by Anonymousreply 30August 14, 2015 4:02 PM

Did anyone else read Maureen McCormack's memoir. For any Brady Bumch fan it's must reading. (She was addicted to coke for years, while she was playing a Brady bride!)

Anyway she had a crush on Robert Reed when she was a little girl but realized as she reached her mid/older teens that he was gay and she was embarrassed she hadn't figured it out sooner. She said it was very, very apparent to everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 31August 14, 2015 4:57 PM

Yeah Family Affair was a sad sack of a show but I loved it. Cissy was a great teen actress. Also the one when Cissy plans to go to a private school so the apartment won't be crowded and Uncle Bill can keep the kids together. And Jesus H. the way the kids were just dumped on him. OK back to Robert Reed I guess.

by Anonymousreply 32August 14, 2015 5:11 PM

Never could get into the "Brady Bunch" at all. Too old, I'm guessing, or not cool enough. But damn, a lot of folks certainly DO love it. Was it all just goofing on the characters, or a genuine fondness for them?

Reed was never better than when he played E.G. Marshall's son in the dramatic series "The Defenders."

by Anonymousreply 33August 14, 2015 5:21 PM

When I was in 1st and 2nd grade, I remember the afternoon block of syndicated reruns (4:00-8:00) was something like The Flintstones, I Love Lucy, The Brady Bunch, The Partridge Family, Bewitched, Gilligan, Jeannie, Petticoat Junction, Green Acres, Andy Griffith and ending with Family Affair at 7:30. (I don't know the exact order, and some were probably on other channels but I know Family Affair was the last in the lineup). I sat through everything diligently, even Gilligan and Andy Griffith, both of which I hated, but NOTHING could make me sit through Family Affair. I'd sooner go to bed early than watch it.

by Anonymousreply 34August 14, 2015 5:32 PM

R15. You are misremembering the scene. The spider scene was in the hotel room. He was wearing PJs. He was in just a bathing suit in a couple beach scenes.

But, yes, Chris Knight was HAWT.

by Anonymousreply 35August 14, 2015 5:42 PM

Sounds like our after school rotation....except take out Petticoat Junction and replace it with Gomer Pyle. Gomber holds up pretty well I just got some from netflix.

by Anonymousreply 36August 14, 2015 6:20 PM

[quote] Sounds like our after school rotation....except take out Petticoat Junction and replace it with Gomer Pyle. Gomber holds up pretty well I just got some from netflix.

I remember Gomer being in there somewhere, and I'm sure I'm mashing up several stations (Channel 5, Channel 9 and Channel 11 in NYC, then Channels 6/33 and Channel 69 UHF in Florida). I can remember becoming briefly obsessed with AM reruns of Love, American Style when I had to live with my aunt and uncle for a while and had been taken out of school for a few weeks. Oh, I lived the high life, relaxing on the couch with bowl after bowl of cereal while my cousins went off to school and I watched morning reruns, followed by the Mike Douglas Show and/or Dinah, briefly stopping to glare at my Aunt if she dared bring the noisy vacuum into the living room.

by Anonymousreply 37August 14, 2015 6:52 PM

Once Cissy had a high society friend, ala Paris Hilton. Cissy says "She's been everywhere" to which Jodie asks "has she been to the moon?"

I agree the Albertine episode was one of the more bizarrely moving episodes.

by Anonymousreply 38August 16, 2015 8:41 PM

It's funny. Family Affair had more diversity than Friends had a couple of decades later. Cissy's first boyfriend was the Latino bag boy who delivered their groceries. It was just and aside. No one made an episode out of it.

by Anonymousreply 39August 16, 2015 8:44 PM

I also remember the episode where Buffy and Jodie are being bullied. Uncle Bill goes to speak with the father who, of course, also turns out to be a bully. Unlike the Brady Bunch episode where Mike and Carol simply leave disgusted, on FA, the bully father attacks Uncle Bill who in turns kicks his ass. The kids report that the bully apologized to them the next day.

by Anonymousreply 40August 16, 2015 8:55 PM

[quote]I just remember the big-ass spider on Peter's hot naked chest

"Hot naked chest"?

Really?

[quote]in Vincent Price's cave.

In the cave, huh?

[quote]Then, I knew I was gay.

You may have known that then, but we know NOW that you're a fucking moron.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41August 16, 2015 9:59 PM

R17 Yeah, pre-Brady Bunch, you can find early projects where Robert Reed's hair appears VERY wavy. He was probably one of those guys where if they don't towel dry and slop Vitalis on it right away, it might start to curl up on its own rather quickly. Take a rat comb to it, and that's all it might take to get an enhanced curly look.

Bloodlust! - 1961

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42August 16, 2015 11:23 PM

Did he and Richard Chamberlain ever hook-up when Reed did a six-episode arc on Dr. Kildare in 1965?

by Anonymousreply 43August 16, 2015 11:32 PM

This Family Affair episode is heavy duty for a kid. In doing a report on Mr French for school, Cissy discovers that his one true love died in the Blitz. Just like that...gone....All that he had to remind him, was an old doll from a fair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44August 16, 2015 11:47 PM

Cathy Garver was a little short and could at times be pudgy but from the neck up she was almost perfect. My older sister had that Chrissy doll where you could shorten or lengthen the hair. It looked a lot like Cissy. Right after Family Affair Cathy was cast in some major movie, I can't remember what it was, but she went a little crazy on the set the first week so they had to let her go. I wonder if she ever got sane.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 17, 2015 12:05 AM

i thought he turned gay when he peered out of the kitchen window and say Cousin Oliver suggestively sucking on a Popsicle while wearing jean cut offs and heart-shaped sunglasses.

by Anonymousreply 46August 17, 2015 12:11 AM

You gays will love this, commercials and all!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47August 17, 2015 12:22 AM

Speaking of Cousin Oliver, one of the stations was playing a Partridge Family marathon this weekend. I never realized the Partridge Family had their own Cousin Oliver the last season. Some really precocious with the requisite buster brown hair cut who whose cuteness was so forced he made Cousin Oliver seem like a genius cast addition. I can see why David Cassidy decided to end it. I think the Partridge Family was the more popular show when they were prime time shows, but the Brady Bunch was much more prevalent in the world of syndication.

by Anonymousreply 48August 17, 2015 12:22 AM

Everyone knows Mike was having a downlow affair with Sam the Butcher during the entire series. All those jokes about "meat" and such.

Example: The roast the two men were referring to in this scene was Mike's rump.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49August 17, 2015 12:27 AM

You just know that Sam's underwear had yellow prostate dribble stains.

by Anonymousreply 50August 17, 2015 12:31 AM

I hated that actor who played Sam. It didn't help that he was FUCKING EVERYWHERE, EVERY SHOW, from about 1960 to 1989.

by Anonymousreply 51August 17, 2015 12:36 AM

His name was Allan Melvin. Here's his IMDB. He's like the hardest working actor ever. He's the actor that everybody knows but nobody knows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52August 17, 2015 12:39 AM

I love the opening to Family Affair with classy music and the beautiful, blurry jewels spinning around. I though that was what life would be like once I got older. But no.

by Anonymousreply 53August 17, 2015 12:48 AM

[quote]Was it all just goofing on the characters, or a genuine fondness for them?

I'd say both, R33. The movies showed that it was the goofing, but what makes me chuckle is that you can make a cousin Oliver joke and the show is so ingrained in American life that most people will get it.

On a vacation to Paris, hubby and I went to a bar and I chatted up this guy. When he asked me where I was from, I don't know why but I just blurted out Sherman Oaks. Where I live with my five brothers and sisters, our parents and our cook. Hubby couldn't stop laughing because I was speaking with such specificity and detail, and the guy finally just looked at me and said, so are you Bobby, Peter or Greg?

Did you know that Bobby Jindal took his name from the Brady Bunch? He said he watched the show to learn American dialect, and decided he should have a more American sounding name.

by Anonymousreply 54August 17, 2015 12:59 AM

R49) Even as a very young kid, I sensed that Alice wasn't all that interested in Sam. He was definitely her bowling buddy and that was it.

by Anonymousreply 55August 17, 2015 1:01 AM

He's beautiful in R20's pic.

by Anonymousreply 56August 17, 2015 7:24 PM

I popped in the cheesy movie "Bloodlust" Reed did early in his career and by god, that man had curly hair! I take back what I said: he did just let it go natural instead of perming it.

by Anonymousreply 57August 18, 2015 11:09 AM

[quote]Bloodlust! - 1961

Ha! When I was a little kid, we were dropped off at the movies for an afternoon. It was "The House That Dripped Blood" which was a big hit at the time so everyone knew what it was and was excited. The double feature, no one heard of, but how cool, it was called Bloodlust! Turned out to be an old black & white movie based on "The Most Dangerous Game" where a hunter hunts humans. But the second Robert Reed came on screen, he had a whole theater of kids yelling "It's Mr Brady!"

by Anonymousreply 58August 18, 2015 1:00 PM

Reed was nominated for three Emmys, For "Roots", "Rich Man, Poor Man". The third according to IMBD is for "Medical Center" for playing: "Pat Caddison" in a two part episode called "The Fourth Sex". Did he play a transgender in 1969? Anyone see it?

by Anonymousreply 59August 18, 2015 1:05 PM

He played a homosexual on a Hotel episode with Dee Hall.

by Anonymousreply 60August 21, 2015 2:21 AM

How can anybody forget Robert Reed's role on "Medical Center?" He played a man name Pat who was undergoing a sex change operation. He has a wife and a son who are understandably freaked out by this, but eventually it gets more or less resolved. I remember a scene where the wife tells him she wishes him happiness in his new life. At the end of the episode Pat/Reed is all done up to look like a woman, makeup, a dress, the whole works. He looked just the way Caitlyn Jenner does, like a man who is dressed up and made up to look like a woman but is obviously a man.

by Anonymousreply 61August 24, 2015 5:06 PM

Thanks, r61. I never knew about it but found it on You Tube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62August 24, 2015 5:14 PM

Curly hair was in style for men till the 60s. Almost all the men were curling it. There was joke after joke after joke about men going in and getting Tony Perms and so forth. It's highly likely Reed CURLED his hair back then rather than straightened it, which was not common among women but unheard of by men.

by Anonymousreply 63August 24, 2015 6:07 PM

From Burns and Allen:

Dinah Shore is guest with her announcer Harry Von Zell and B&A announcer Bill Goodwin

Harry: Go out with me Dinah you'll have a whale of a time

Bill: More like an evening with a whale

Harry: Shut up you walking finger wave

by Anonymousreply 64January 21, 2016 5:21 PM

Turn gay? I like this new datalounge. This "free to post" has been a l great idea, webmaster. Brilliant idea.

by Anonymousreply 65January 21, 2016 5:28 PM

For those Brady Bunch lovers and experts there is only ONE episode in the fourth season where Mike has straight hair and it's the Marcia "Today, I Am A Freshman" episode. Marcia hates high school. Mike looks damn good. And he doesn't have a perm so let's pay homage to Roberts only fourth season episode to feature his unnatural but completely beautiful straight hair. The whole cast looks great because they still have their Hawaii tans, especially Marcia. She was such a groovy chick! Lol Robert was my first crush. Will someone be a love and post the episode please? I cannot do it on my phone

by Anonymousreply 66January 21, 2016 5:38 PM

Robert has the hairy chest. no manscape for him.

by Anonymousreply 67January 21, 2016 5:48 PM

Why are the Family Affair freaks hijacking a Brady Bunch thread. Get your own thread creeps!

by Anonymousreply 68January 21, 2016 5:56 PM

Did you see that hot Filipino twink they hired to guide the Bradys around? Mike wasn't the only one to turn gay in Hawaii.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69January 21, 2016 6:33 PM

They also seemed to have let Bobby's hair go natural in Hawaii - they dyed it dark to match everyone else, but he's naturally a red head.

by Anonymousreply 70January 21, 2016 7:05 PM

[quote] For those Brady Bunch lovers and experts there is only ONE episode in the fourth season where Mike has straight hair and it's the Marcia "Today, I Am A Freshman" episode. Marcia hates high school. Mike looks damn good. And he doesn't have a perm so let's pay homage to Roberts only fourth season episode to feature his unnatural but completely beautiful straight hair. The whole cast looks great because they still have their Hawaii tans, especially Marcia. She was such a groovy chick! Lol Robert was my first crush. Will someone be a love and post the episode please? I cannot do it on my phone

Robert Reed had naturally curly hair. He didn't perm it. The humidity in Hawaii caused it to revert to it's natural texture.

Remember the 1969 and 1970 episodes when Mike Brady had that really short, dark brown hair? In ‘71 his hair grew a little longer and in ‘72, those curls mysteriously appeared in his hair. It has long been rumored that Robert Reed and some of the other Brady men went out and got perms before the fourth season. The truth of the matter, according to Barry, is that Robert, himself, and Chris Knight had naturally curly hair that they had tried to tame for the first three seasons and eventually gave up all of the bizarre hair maintenance rituals they had to go through to keep it straight. Barry briefly mentioned Mike Lookinland’s encounter with Miss Clairol, which explained his dark hair at the beginning of the series, but the hair hassles Florence Henderson and Susan Olsen went through, though mentioned in the book, were not discussed in the presentation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71January 22, 2016 3:48 AM

I never knew Robert Reed's hair had anything to do with race baiting. Thanks, R71!

by Anonymousreply 72January 22, 2016 4:31 AM

[quote]He did a full makeover, including updating his wardrobe. He had just turned 40 and it was a mid-life crisis more than anything, I think.

So he only turned 40 then? He was in his 30s the first 4 years of the show's run?!? No way. So he was younger than Ashton Kutcher and Channing Tatum and Ryan Gosling when he was on the show? That doesn't seem right.

by Anonymousreply 73January 22, 2016 5:11 AM

No way did Reed not perm his hair. You don't get perfectly even curls like he, Greg, Peter and later Bobby (on BB Variety Hour) had.

by Anonymousreply 74January 22, 2016 9:26 AM

The best thing about Family Affair were the twin doors with the door knobs in the center. Those impressed me more than the fact that they had a NYC apartment or even an English butler.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75January 22, 2016 10:49 AM

Just reposting this hot pic of him from the 60s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76January 22, 2016 11:02 AM

Wow looks like he could be Zachary Levi's brother.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77January 22, 2016 6:01 PM

I never knew Robert Reed's hair had anything to do with race baiting. Thanks, [R71]!

I didn't either R72. Sorry wrong link.

by Anonymousreply 78January 22, 2016 6:57 PM

What has Gable got for me?

Or Mrs. Johnson's blonde boy Van?

Give me a hairy Rob

With no straightened bob

I'm a Mike Brady fan

by Anonymousreply 79January 22, 2016 11:33 PM

At R76, he looks just like a hipster douche today. He looks like he just stepped out of Williamsburg.

by Anonymousreply 80January 23, 2016 2:55 AM

Mike Brady was a pink powder puff? *GASP*

by Anonymousreply 81January 23, 2016 4:13 AM

Bob Reed joked about it on Day By Day when he as Mike said that "All the Brady have perms!"

by Anonymousreply 82March 8, 2016 3:37 PM

r53 I thought the same thing at the time, but the Vietnam War and the counterculture had changed our young lives forever. Enter the 1970s and Norman Lear's realism.

by Anonymousreply 83March 8, 2016 3:47 PM

[quote] "Family Affair" was ALWAYS pulling on the heartstrings.

Perhaps that's why the original time slot was at 9:30pm (8:30 Central) so that the kiddies would already be in bed.

R45 I agree about the music. I would already be in bed, reading The Hardy Boys under the covers, using a flashlight (NOT a fleshlight, but getting excited over Frank and Joe nevertheless) and could hear the Family affair music wafting from the living room television. I couldn't wait until summer vacation so I could stay up and watch it.

And yes, I LOVED those apartment doors too R75

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84March 8, 2016 4:00 PM

Robert Reed had no muscularity. He was thin, he should've hit the weights. He also had no buttocks what-so-ever.

by Anonymousreply 85March 8, 2016 4:56 PM

[quote] He also had no buttocks what-so-ever.

i saw his butt in a Broadway play he did called DOUBLES. (He replaced Tony Roberts)

It was just fine

by Anonymousreply 86March 8, 2016 5:38 PM

[quote]He also had no buttocks what-so-ever.

The Bradys didn't have a toilet, so it was kind of a moot point.

by Anonymousreply 87March 8, 2016 8:20 PM

[quote]Did you see that hot Filipino twink they hired to guide the Bradys around?

Like father, like son.

by Anonymousreply 88March 8, 2016 8:21 PM

[quote]Was it all just goofing on the characters, or a genuine fondness for them?

A little from column A, a little from column B, as well as the fact that Robert Reed proved gay men can be trusted with children, a contrast from the horrible stereotypes of the era still being perpetuated on fictional shows like [italic]Kojak[/italic]. I must confess, I've been on a little bit of a Brady kick lately, and it started under some sad circumstances. A friend of mine who was once my roommate was hospitalized and almost died, and his Latino twink boyfriend came to see me. So at one point we watched TV, and he looked in my DVD collection and then he mentioned this show. So we watched a few episodes and got high. Then a couple days after that, I actually rewatched both the movies back-to-back along with [italic]Yours, Mine and Ours[/italic]. They really hit the sweet spot with the right tone of affection and irreverence, whereas the majority of movies based on TV shows from the past are garbage.

by Anonymousreply 89March 8, 2016 8:51 PM

I actually know Cathy Garver. Yep. She told me that Brian Keith did not like Robert Reed much, that he thought Reed was stuck up and not very friendly when he was on Family Affair. She said that Keith was laid back and warm and nice, not unlike his Uncle Bill character. Reed, a method actor, was serious to the point of distraction. Since the show was a sitcom and not, you know, the Brothers Karamazov, Keith thought Reed was ridiculous. Cathy said something about how Keith bristled at the way Reed sharpened a pencil or asked about his "motivation" for sharpening a pencil or something. Can't exactly remember, but that Brian Keith thought Robert Reed had a big stick up his ass. And, of course, there are ten jokes right there. LOL

by Anonymousreply 90March 8, 2016 9:00 PM

R90 Great stories!

Please tell me Cathy Garver's home has front doors like they did in R75 s photo

by Anonymousreply 91March 8, 2016 9:06 PM

In all seriousness, what would Robert Reed have lost by coming out before he died?

by Anonymousreply 92March 8, 2016 9:27 PM

[quote]a method actor

What method, Stanislavsky? Meisner? Adler?

by Anonymousreply 93March 8, 2016 9:29 PM

I don't know what method but Reed was always at odds with Sherwood Schwartz about the schlocky dialogue and plots of The Brady Bunch. He hated the show pretty much the whole time he did it because he considered himself a "serious actor." And felt the show was beneath him and his talents. He refused to do the final show altogether because of the stupid plot (something about hair dye and Greg's hair being orange) and was not in the final broadcase episode at all (for Brady Bunch afficionados). Reed also knew how much $$$ and fame it made for him and it was a steady gig. It made him a pop culture icon and very famous. He did grow to love the cast, though, and they all remained quite close until he died. I am getting all of this from various things I have read about him over the years. All of it pretty much says this same stuff. Note that he came back to do the variety show (another pop culture hilarious misfire and so-bad-you-can't-look-away type show from the 70's) because he had always wanted to be able to sing and dance (being gay and all, of course) but he could do neither.

Cathy didn't know too much about his "method" or anything about his personal life as she only worked with him briefly on Family Affair.

by Anonymousreply 94March 9, 2016 12:30 AM

[quote]I actually know Cathy Garver.

Apparently you don't know her well enough to spell her name correctly.

by Anonymousreply 95March 9, 2016 12:49 AM

Oh, oops, Kathy. LOL. Sorry Kathy.

by Anonymousreply 96March 9, 2016 1:25 AM

I think Mike had a very nice body, especially for the time. Dads with six kids weren't out pumping iron then, but Mike has a nice, solid build, and nice chest hair.

by Anonymousreply 97March 9, 2016 9:52 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 98May 3, 2016 12:39 AM

Kathy Garver looks fantastic!

The Brady Bunch was an awful show, we didn't even watch it as kids it was so fucking baaaad. It really was a piece of shit and I don't blame Robert Reed for wanting to distance himself.

p.s. He was VERY handsome in person, really cool guy, not completely gay, like SOME women if they were a certain type.

by Anonymousreply 99May 3, 2016 2:43 AM

[quote]She said that Keith was laid back and warm and nice, not unlike his Uncle Bill character.

Johnny Whitaker, who played Jody also said the same thing, but added, "from day one, we were told, 'never touch his hair'."

by Anonymousreply 100May 3, 2016 3:16 AM

It was more shocking when Elizabeth Montgomery went from a poor man's Grace Kelly to a hippy chick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101May 3, 2016 3:21 AM

I like to give Marcia's name a little class. I don't call her Mar sha I call her Mar see ah

by Anonymousreply 102May 3, 2016 3:23 AM

I misspell her as Marsha half the time. The poor woman looks like an old troll these days.

by Anonymousreply 103May 3, 2016 3:42 AM

and what do YOU look like?

by Anonymousreply 104May 5, 2016 4:30 AM

Do we know if Robert Reed had any long-term partners?

by Anonymousreply 105May 5, 2016 3:44 PM

Didn't he die of AIDS or a weakened immune system?

by Anonymousreply 106May 5, 2016 3:46 PM

I heard that Mike decided to come out in Hawaii and was forbidden to, and that is why he hated Schwartz, who is a well known homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 107August 17, 2016 8:58 PM

Mr. Brady looked pretty hot in those trunks.

by Anonymousreply 108August 18, 2016 12:24 AM

Robert Reid's hair was naturally curly and the humidity in Hawaii. The showrunners liked it, so it stayed.

by Anonymousreply 109August 18, 2016 12:57 AM

Mike Brady was practically dreamy in many of the early episodes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110August 18, 2016 7:25 PM

Wow, Flo Henderson's got a banging body in r12's pic. Meanwhile Maureen tries and fails to cover up her muffin top.

by Anonymousreply 111August 18, 2016 7:29 PM

Laughing my ass off reading through this thread. Should definitely be on the "best of DL" list.

Greg and Peter also let their hair grow wild and curly in the later years. Perhaps they were exploring their sexuality?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112August 18, 2016 7:41 PM

If you pay attention in the first Hawaii episode the family is all together at the mountain summit trying to pronounce the Hawaiian name, Mike Brady gives up and utters...."why dont we call it look out point" and laughs, letting out his inner gay self.

by Anonymousreply 113August 18, 2016 8:19 PM

[quote]Robert Reid's hair was naturally curly

Yeah and his hair coincidentally was perfectly curled with each curl being exactly the same size.

by Anonymousreply 114August 18, 2016 9:30 PM

He acted so gay when he did Search For Tomorrow in 1986. He totally pinged.

by Anonymousreply 115August 18, 2016 9:47 PM

I have naturally curly hair. If I carefully style it--use a wide tooth comb instead of brush, right product, scrunch the curls meticulously, wet and redo as needed--I can get the curls to look pretty uniform, even when it's really long. I presume Robert Reed was well-groomed on that set. And he sometimes sported the curly hairstyle later in life as well. Somehow I doubt he was getting perms in his 50s but letting his hair go grey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116August 18, 2016 9:48 PM

In the 70s everyone got perms, it was the in-thing.

by Anonymousreply 117August 18, 2016 10:16 PM

Robert Reed was definitely a hottie in his younger days.

Most of us got our little daddy crushes from seeing men like Mike Brady.

by Anonymousreply 118August 18, 2016 10:36 PM

Definately first man crush

by Anonymousreply 119August 18, 2016 10:42 PM

Brady Bunch and Family Affair were awful. They were throwbacks to the Father Knows Best era, except for the dead parent aspect.

by Anonymousreply 120August 18, 2016 10:52 PM

I never noticed how handsome Robert Reed was until I was well into adulthood. He was such a "dad" to me that I simply couldn't see it. I also can't believe he was only in his 30s when the Brady Bunch started--he seemed so much older. But he really was a damn fine looking man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121August 19, 2016 12:19 AM

Very kissable lips.

by Anonymousreply 122August 19, 2016 12:37 AM

You've obviously never seen Family Affair or don't remember it well. It was not only well written and acted but they dealt with things like death, fear, minorities, different cultures, and a host of other contemporary issues.

Remember how on the Brady Bunch, Mike wouldn't fight the father of the bully but Uncle Bill punched the bully's father's lights out.

by Anonymousreply 123August 19, 2016 12:52 AM

I had a crush on Robert Reed from when he was in "The Defenders," which ran from 1961-65 (well before he became Mr. Brady.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124August 19, 2016 2:02 AM

But did he have a big cock?

by Anonymousreply 125August 19, 2016 10:10 PM

Robert was my brother, and he really did have naturally curly hair, just like me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126August 19, 2016 10:17 PM

It's only in Season 5 that he's shown with curly hair in the opening....and OMG it makes him look 10-15 years older.

Then again, everyone aged a lot in a few years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127August 19, 2016 10:19 PM

So...have we concluded it was the cursed tiki idol that made Pops Brady gay?

by Anonymousreply 128August 19, 2016 11:28 PM

Gaye Gayerson

by Anonymousreply 129August 20, 2016 1:14 AM

Between the way he looked with the curly hair and his somewhat "suspect" real last name, I wonder whether he was a closet Jew as well as a closet gay.

by Anonymousreply 130August 20, 2016 2:33 AM

I bet Mike Brady gave good cum facials.

by Anonymousreply 131August 22, 2016 12:16 AM

R32 I think Mr. French and Uncle Bill fooled around while the kids were at at school.

Why else would Mr. French be carrying around that damp towel all the time?

by Anonymousreply 132August 22, 2016 12:47 AM

Reed's birth name was Robert Rietz. He changed it to Reed when he began acting.

by Anonymousreply 133August 22, 2016 3:11 AM

[quote]I wonder whether he was a closet Jew as well as a closet gay.

So did he prefer cut or uncut?

by Anonymousreply 134August 22, 2016 3:14 AM

Such blue eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135August 22, 2016 5:58 PM

I would have preferred for him to turn gay in New Jersey.

by Anonymousreply 136August 22, 2016 6:02 PM

I would have let him stick it ALL the way in.

by Anonymousreply 137August 22, 2016 9:14 PM

I thought this thread said Why Did Mike Brady Turn Gay In Heaven?

by Anonymousreply 138August 23, 2016 4:21 AM

No matter how hard you try you can't polish a turd.

by Anonymousreply 139August 23, 2016 5:06 PM

An ironic statement from him

by Anonymousreply 140August 23, 2016 9:43 PM

Robert Reed must've had a boyfriend in real life starting that season, because he was giving JM J Bullock a run for his money after that.

by Anonymousreply 141January 3, 2018 8:34 AM

They are running this episode right now on ME TV. I googled Brady men perms and this thread popped right up.

by Anonymousreply 142June 24, 2018 4:38 PM

He looked great either way.

by Anonymousreply 143June 24, 2018 6:58 PM

Robert Reed had one daughter, and though he was not involved in raising her, the daughter is very protective of his legacy,

She refuses to be interviewed for any publication or book and has refused to grant permission for his likeness to be used in any Brady merchandise or his image to be used anywhere. She will not even give permission to use clips of any of his past work.

by Anonymousreply 144June 24, 2018 7:14 PM

I can relate.

by Anonymousreply 145June 24, 2018 9:48 PM

Mike Brady obviously turned gay because the guy who did his perm (en route to Hawaii -- doesn't every man stop to get his hair done just before going on vacation with his family) was a super-stud.

Mike realized his true calling as the stud placed his hands on Mike's head. Mike walked into the hair salon a straight man but walked out gay.

by Anonymousreply 146June 26, 2018 10:44 AM

R12 Dang, he was pretty hot! Never noticed when I was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 147May 25, 2020 3:27 AM

I want Gary Cole’s Mike Brady to give it to me gently but sternly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148May 25, 2020 3:37 AM

[quote] She refuses to be interviewed for any publication or book and has refused to grant permission for his likeness to be used in any Brady merchandise or his image to be used anywhere. She will not even give permission to use clips of any of his past work.

She must have relented somewhat on that. Because I've seen merchandise in the last few years with his face. I doubt they were knockoffs since Viacom CBS is very protective of the Brady copyright. I think their three top licenses are Star Trek, Lucy, and the Bradys. His image is even on the Brady Bunch slot machine.

by Anonymousreply 149May 25, 2020 3:58 AM

[quote]Why Did Mike Brady Turn Gay In Hawaii?

Well, don’t look at me!

by Anonymousreply 150May 25, 2020 4:39 AM

R51/R52 You hated him so much you followed his career from project to project and posted two messages in a row about him.

by Anonymousreply 151December 8, 2020 5:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!