Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bumble Bee to Pay $6 Million Over Employee Cooked in Tuna Oven

Jose Melena, 62, was loading a 35-foot-long oven at the company's Santa Fe Springs plant before dawn Oct. 11, 2012, when a co-worker, who mistakenly believed Melena was in the bathroom, filled the pressure cooker with 12,000 pounds of canned tuna and it was turned on, according to a report by the California Division of Occupational Safety and Health.

His body was found two hours later after the pressure cooker, which reached 270 degrees, was turned off and opened.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43March 28, 2020 12:14 PM

I know the phrase "There are no words" can be overused, and usually are, but this seems the situation where it applies.

I hope he went very quickly.

by Anonymousreply 1August 13, 2015 8:40 AM

Smothered in 12,000 pounds of tuna. Every Datalounger's worst nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 2August 13, 2015 10:37 AM

This is so horrifying I can't even joke about it.

Can you imagine dying in such a manner?

Jesus Christ I'm going to have nightmares.

by Anonymousreply 3August 13, 2015 10:43 AM

That doesn't sound like enough to me. There's loss of income (very little), pain and suffering (a lot), then what about the company paying a penalty for negligence? Oh, but we live in an oligarchy, so maybe they'll get a $50 fine. Don't do it again, this week.

If it upsets you to hear it, imagine how his kids feel.

by Anonymousreply 4August 13, 2015 10:56 AM

There was no light or warning that the oven was occupied by a worker? When somebody was in the oven there was no way that the oven could not be turned on?

That seems insanely negligent and 6 million for a company like Bumble Bee is very little for this kind of horrifying ineptitude.

This man probably had a death that wasn't fast enough.

by Anonymousreply 5August 13, 2015 11:03 AM

Was the worker who did it a woman? It sounds like something a woman would do - suffocating a man in tuna.

by Anonymousreply 6August 13, 2015 11:11 AM

Damn. Fucking horrible.

by Anonymousreply 7August 13, 2015 1:47 PM

I recall when this happened.. At the time there was speculation that he had had a heart attack and was incapacitated. I hope it's the case so he might have suffered less. Regardless, terrible negligence. Can you imagine the world of deregulation that the Koch's dream about?

by Anonymousreply 8August 13, 2015 2:01 PM

Somehow Trump will blame this on "The Mexicans" and/or Kelly O. will misspeak yet again.

by Anonymousreply 9August 13, 2015 2:03 PM

Actually, R6, it was two men who baked the man in the oven. They are facing up to three years possible jail time:

"...However, this isn't the first time Bumble Bee has gotten into trouble over its inability to follow safety regulations. The AP writes that California's occupational safety agency previously cited the company for "failing to properly assess the danger to employees working in large ovens" and fined Bumble Bee $74,000."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 13, 2015 9:03 PM

Why would the men get jail time if they didn't know the man was in the oven and proper safety precautions were not in place?

Sounds like the CEO should be the one who gets jail time for manslaughter.

by Anonymousreply 11August 13, 2015 9:08 PM

The family is only getting 1.5 million.

If the CEO had a shred of conscience he would commit seppuku. But then if he had a shred of conscience he wouldn't be a CEO.

Industrial accident!

by Anonymousreply 12August 13, 2015 11:20 PM

No wonder my tuna noodle casserole was a bit off.

by Anonymousreply 13August 13, 2015 11:39 PM

Sounds like the ones being charged aren't the ones that physically did it. Management is being charged:

"Los Angeles prosecutors have charged the plant's operations director and its former safety manger, as well as Bumble Bee Foods with violating safety protocols. The two men face three years in prison and fines of up to $250,000 if convicted of all charges, while Bumble Bee faces a maximum fine of $1.5 million. Bumble Bee does not agree with the charges filed."

by Anonymousreply 14August 14, 2015 12:17 AM

Steamed to death: Just horrible way to go.

by Anonymousreply 15August 14, 2015 12:21 AM

I remember watching a video of his wife (widow) saying that she couldn't stop thinking about how her husband must have felt the moment he realized the oven was turned on, that because he was an engineer he would have known instantly what the situation was and that there was no escape and no one would hear his screams. If there was justice in this damned country, BumbleBee Foods would lose every penny and close up shop for good. I'm sure they'll just keep humming along, scouring the oceans until there's nothing left to catch and no more profits left to reap. God bless America.

by Anonymousreply 16August 14, 2015 1:01 AM

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that thought a paltry sum of $1.5 million was a little low for a worker being steamed to death.

by Anonymousreply 17August 14, 2015 1:08 AM

I hope the 12,000 lbs of fish knocked him out. Gruesome way to go.

by Anonymousreply 18August 14, 2015 1:11 AM

"Smothered in 12,000 pounds of tuna."

I've loss so many lovers this way.

by Anonymousreply 19August 14, 2015 1:23 AM

R19 I'm really glad you fucked up your idiot 4 star asshole joke.

by Anonymousreply 20August 14, 2015 1:27 AM

"I'm glad I wasn't the only one that thought a paltry sum of $1.5 million was a little low for a worker being steamed to death"

From a legal perspective I guess it's better for Jerry Sandusky to fondle you once than it is to be cooked to death

by Anonymousreply 21August 14, 2015 1:34 AM

Did he die?

by Anonymousreply 22August 14, 2015 1:45 AM

I assume the tuna would have been considered contaminated and not suitable for human consumption, but perhaps there could have been some salvage value by reprocessing it as pet food.

by Anonymousreply 23August 14, 2015 2:50 AM

He said he hated my jello mold...

by Anonymousreply 24August 14, 2015 2:53 AM

The bravest man I know is a burn victim who was cleaning a large walk-in furnace when someone else turned it on and burned him over most of his body. He is cruelly disfigured but he works as a motivational speaker. He has a remarkable sense of humor and a joyful appreciation for life. He received a large financial settlement for his horrific injuries. I don't know that I would want to go on living in his situation. I wouldn't trade places with him for anything but he is a great inspiration to me. I try to remember his ability to laugh and smile and be cheerful when petty bullshit brings me down.

by Anonymousreply 25August 14, 2015 3:09 AM

[quote]perhaps there could have been some salvage value by reprocessing it as pet food.

With a kicky South-of-the-border flavor.

by Anonymousreply 26August 14, 2015 3:20 AM

There was already a thread about this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 14, 2015 3:54 AM

This is the original one by 5 minutes, so there.

by Anonymousreply 28August 14, 2015 10:49 AM

I remembered this story, when it first happened. Even without knowing all the facts, this story stained my brain. How horrific. Then, the family only receives 1.5 million. What did the McDonald's coffee spilling customer get for her own self-injuries?

Anyway, I guess the family has closure in that this is trial is over.

After reading the full report, it seems as if the man must have had a non fatal heart attack or something that made him non-responsive. He did not die from the pounds of tuna, because they were carts that were rolled into a cylinder like pressure cooker.

Think of them as packed cars with individual cans of tuna going into a tunnel, with the tunnel being the pressure cooker.

According to the report, sometimes, the tunnel gets jammed, because of the chains used to pull the cars of tuna. As a result, the worker most likely went inside to unjammed the tunnel.

At that point, either he did not hear the commotion of employees who noticed the tunnel with cars still left out and waiting to enter the tunnel, or he was knocked out by an incoming cart of tuna, and or he passed out some medical reason.

Anyway, his supervisor went to go look for him, but before he did he ordered another employee to take over the job and fill the tunnel with the cars of tuna.

The employee went to fill the pressure cooker with CARTS of canned tuna, but he never looked inside the cooker. That's odd, because the body was inside and should have clogged up the flow of carts.

Apparently, this wasn't an issue, or perhaps, they didn't line up that many carts in the oven that time.

After the pressure cooker was filled and turned on for two hours, the doors were open and the body was discovered.

by Anonymousreply 29August 14, 2015 11:13 AM

Appalling. Bumble Bee should have paid out $100 million. I hope they are bankrupted, pariahed, boycotted. SJWs should get onto this, I'm not even kidding.

by Anonymousreply 30August 14, 2015 11:34 AM

I forgot to mention that maybe there was too much noise in the factory for the man to hear what was going on on the outside of the cooker. Maybe, he got up and was knocked unconscious from a car of incoming tuna.

by Anonymousreply 31August 14, 2015 11:40 AM

This might be the worst way to die?

by Anonymousreply 32March 28, 2020 4:36 AM

Wonder how many tuna cans filled with his body parts were placed in his coffin.

by Anonymousreply 33March 28, 2020 4:43 AM

$6 million doesn't sound like enough. Poor man and his family. Very sad. I have a friend who works in a fish cannery, so maybe I'm extra-empathetic.

by Anonymousreply 34March 28, 2020 4:48 AM

Beaner of the Sea?

by Anonymousreply 35March 28, 2020 4:48 AM

Hey, does this can of tuna smell like tamales to you?

by Anonymousreply 36March 28, 2020 4:49 AM

Seems like somebody Bumbled.

by Anonymousreply 37March 28, 2020 4:52 AM

Jessica Simpson: Is this fish or person that I'm eating?

by Anonymousreply 38March 28, 2020 4:58 AM

"Smothered in 12,000 pounds of tuna"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39March 28, 2020 4:58 AM

Who's the ghoul who bumped this 5 year old thread?

by Anonymousreply 40March 28, 2020 5:00 AM

Where’s Erna?

by Anonymousreply 41March 28, 2020 5:00 AM

Immediately made me think of this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42March 28, 2020 5:09 AM

r11=Jack McCoy

by Anonymousreply 43March 28, 2020 12:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!