Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hillary Clinton Is Overwhelmingly Popular Among Black Americans

Nobody else even comes close.

Black Americans view Hillary Clinton far more favorably than they do any other presidential contender, according to a Gallup survey released Monday.

Eighty percent of black adults have a favorable impression of the Democratic front-runner and former secretary of state. Even when taking into account the percentage who view Clinton unfavorably, she still has a 68 percent net favorability rating among black Americans, a group that analysts at the Cook Political Report have called the "overlooked key to 2016."

Clinton's favorability rating among black Americans eclipses those of the other Democratic hopefuls. The next highest rating belongs to Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), who is running for president as a Democrat and has a net 23 percent favorability rating among black adults. Sanders' relationship with the black community has come under heightened scrutiny since the start of his presidential campaign. Black Lives Matters activists recently shut down a Seattle rally where the senator was scheduled to speak.

Black Americans aren't as enthusiastic about the Republican field. Almost all of the GOP candidates have negative net favorability ratings among black poll respondents. The lone exception is retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson, who has a 4 percent net favorability rating in that group.

Real estate mogul Donald Trump and former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush are viewed least favorably among blacks, with net favorability ratings of negative 48 percent and negative 31 percent, respectively.

by Anonymousreply 43September 7, 2020 10:31 PM

Clinton is the most well-known candidate among black adults, with 92 percent saying they are familiar with her. Trump is also well-known to black Americans, with 88 percent saying they are familiar with him.

Despite her high favorability ratings with black adults, Clinton's relationship with African-American voters hasn't been without hiccups. In June, she used the phrase "all lives matter" while speaking to a predominantly black audience at a Missouri church. Critics said they were unhappy about Clinton's use of the expression, which some people have used to shout down or push back against the Black Lives Matter movement. Three other candidates vying for the Democratic presidential nomination -- Sanders, former Rhode Island Gov. Lincoln Chafee and former Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley -- have faced backlash for using the phrase as well.

The Gallup poll consisted of 1,684 landline and cell phone interviews conducted July 8 through Aug. 8 with a national random sample of adults. A random subset of about 400 to 500 respondents rated each candidate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 12, 2015 12:28 AM

Shut up Chelsea, the grown ups are talking.

by Anonymousreply 2August 12, 2015 12:43 AM

They loved her in 2008. Blacks couldn't tell you for sure who Barak Obama WAS back at the beginning of that presidential race. It was all a Hillary love-fest for them. Then , suddenly, Iowa caucus happened and this black guy Obama beat he and it was "bye,bye, Hillary"

by Anonymousreply 3August 12, 2015 1:34 AM

I'll vote for her

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 12, 2015 6:16 AM

Despite her issues, she's still likely our next president.

by Anonymousreply 5September 12, 2015 6:22 AM

The BLM coalition is primarily headed by black lesbians, a group typically fond of Hill. I would not be surprised if Hill cut a backroom deal with them so they purposely disrupt Bernie and leave her the hell alone. I find it very suspicious she met with some BLM leaders in private months ago. The Clintons have always done backroom deals with the black civil rights leaders and charlatans for their own agenda.. I remember when Al and the rest basically sold Harlem down the river when they gave Bill the green light to set up shop there. Black people have no reason to trust The Clintons. They are toxic to our community but its too bad most people are too blind to see it.

by Anonymousreply 6September 12, 2015 7:16 AM

R5 true although she is presidential...and happy she will be POTUS

by Anonymousreply 7September 12, 2015 7:18 AM

[R6]I want to ask you a question . I have seen many well educated black men e.g doctors ,engineers and science teachers/ professors who blindly support Al Sharpton. I am afraid to ask them this directly.

But since it is an anonymous board I can ask you this . Al sharpton is a well known hack then why he gets so much support among Afro- Americans?. Is it true for your family and friends too? If yes why?

by Anonymousreply 8September 12, 2015 8:27 AM

Everyone time Hill puts on her Southern accent she gets another black vote.

by Anonymousreply 9September 12, 2015 11:28 AM

R8, not R6 and I have no particular love for Sharpton, but your agenda is clear. "Blindly support"? How would [italic]you[/italic] know? Perhaps they have their own legitimate reasons. And considering that you're "afraid to ask them"?

Goodbye.

by Anonymousreply 10September 12, 2015 3:10 PM

Which is odd considering that she and Bill are the kind of Democrats who make Wall Street richer and Main Street poorer.

by Anonymousreply 11September 12, 2015 3:12 PM

Actually, R11, we did very, very well during Bill Clinton's years, and we are Main Street. He also raised taxes on the wealthy.

by Anonymousreply 12September 12, 2015 3:19 PM

That is nice for you, R12, but the rich got richer and the poor got poorer under the Clintons. Income inequality has grown steadily over the last thirty-five years. The rich and the super-rich have a larger share of the pie today than they have ever had before and the Clintons have only joined in the cash-grubbing frenzy themselves while doing little to aid the working class.

by Anonymousreply 13September 12, 2015 3:33 PM

I'm white. I think Al Sharpton has redeemed himself since his, well, "stupid" years.

by Anonymousreply 14September 12, 2015 4:04 PM

In other news 100% of African Americans cannot tell Hillary Clinton from Hillary Duff.

by Anonymousreply 15September 12, 2015 4:09 PM

[quote]I think Al Sharpton has redeemed himself since his, well, "stupid" years.

Did all the people who died from his demagoguery suddenly come back to life?

by Anonymousreply 16September 12, 2015 4:22 PM

Yes, R16, that's exactly what happened. I saw it on the news.

by Anonymousreply 17September 12, 2015 4:53 PM

Blacks love Bill therefore blacks love Hillary.

by Anonymousreply 18September 12, 2015 7:15 PM

I'm just worried they will not get out and vote for her...they really need to vote.

I support Bernie but I will vote for Hillary.

by Anonymousreply 19September 12, 2015 8:40 PM

R8, Sharpton, like the late Marion Barry, is admired and championed by the black working class, the ghettos, and the Pan-Africanist radicals. You mentioned teachers. Any black person in a profession that is pro-labor union would most likely like Sharpton. The black bourgeiousie see Al Sharpton as a joke. I have even heard some of my colleagues poke fun of MSNBC, and white liberals for giving him a platform. The black siddity folks and old guard uphold the Kings, Jesse Jackson, Bill Cosby, ( boy, did they have had a tumble in credibility), & other HBCU legacy babies as the black community leaders worth their salt. From as far back as the civil rights movement, there has always been fractured dissent among black people on which leader to champion and support. It kinda amazes me that the Clintons can do what even black leaders cannot, and that is be supported and popular with both the black upper middle class and the working poor. It is a head-scratching feat to me, because the Clintons never really did anything to help black people except lip service. It is amazing to see how much a loose handshake and Southern drawl can fool people.

by Anonymousreply 20September 12, 2015 11:33 PM

Hil luvs ta get up in that yunmmy chocolate pie. Good eatin sista.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 13, 2015 12:06 AM

Hillary probably hates Oprah with the heat of a thousand suns.

by Anonymousreply 22September 13, 2015 12:13 AM

When will the press start telling the truth? This e-mail shit is just a disgusting witch hunt by the right wing...even the most ignorant Republicans KNOW that.

by Anonymousreply 23September 13, 2015 12:15 AM

Al Sharpton stands up for his community so racist (bigots), hate him...tough shit. He's as good as any politician out there.

by Anonymousreply 24September 13, 2015 12:18 AM

[quote]Al Sharpton stands up for his community so racist (bigots), hate him...tough shit. He's as good as any politician out there.

Al Sharpton stands up for Al Sharpton.

by Anonymousreply 25September 13, 2015 1:09 AM

yes she is

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 13, 2015 2:37 AM

R25 you hate him because you think he is an uppity black man...I know that, ignorant bigot.

by Anonymousreply 27September 13, 2015 7:49 PM

I'm ready to vote for Hillary in 2016.

by Anonymousreply 28September 14, 2015 3:45 AM

Of course she's hugely popular among Black voters, as was/is her husband, as well they should be. Black Americans should support The Donald? Frothy? Rand? Crazy Ben Carson? Bitches, please.

The Republicans will once again drag out that tired old pr bullshit about how they're going to go after the African American vote because the Democratic Party hasn't done enough and blah blah blah-de-blahblahblah. It's true, the Democratic Party hasn't done enough and the Republican Party has done even less. When it comes to choosing between a party that's trying and falls short and a party that is actively racist, demonizes the poor and refers to African Americans as thugs, sensible people are going to go with the party that tries and sometimes fails. Go figure.

And lay off Al Sharpton, assholes. He's come a long way from the old days and he always had a point. He may not make it the way you want him to but he's got a fucking point. You think he only shows up for himself? You don't know half of what he's done for people. He's a lot smarter than you give him credit for. He's not the epitome of tv-suave but that's not such a bad thing. There are times when Al Sharpton cuts through the talking heads' bullshit and asks very pointed questions that nobody else is asking and they should be. He also has a sense of humor about things, including himself. He's not the cartoon that racists pretend he is, not by a long shot.

All in all, the Clintons and Al Sharpton are better, more accomplished, more useful Americans than their detractors have ever been or will ever be. Their detractors should probably just shut the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 29September 14, 2015 5:21 AM

R29, you have a point about Al . I cant stand the rabblerouser, but Sharpton has more guts than the Clintons. I respect him more than I do Jesse Jackson. That is for sure. He came out in full support of gay marriage back in 2004, back when most Democrats were towing the line and advocating for civil unions. Sharpton deserves credit for calling out the cronyism and corruption of law enforcement before camera phones and body cameras. He spent years shouting from the rooftops about cops killing or beating the dogshit out of unarmed people, and White America never believed him.

by Anonymousreply 30September 15, 2015 1:09 AM

[quote] Crazy Ben Carson?

Ben Carson is black. He will do a lot more for black people than lily white Clinton ever will.

by Anonymousreply 31September 15, 2015 1:52 AM

We won't have another black POTUS right after Obama just not happening...in the future, yes next POTUS no!

by Anonymousreply 32September 15, 2015 2:19 AM

R31, Oh, please .More black people will support Trump than Carson.

by Anonymousreply 33September 25, 2015 9:35 PM

Hillary is overwhelming popular with White Americans, too.

by Anonymousreply 34September 26, 2015 6:11 PM

#STFUHillary is trending on twitter.

by Anonymousreply 35June 7, 2020 3:32 AM

The memes are great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 7, 2020 3:33 AM

[quote] Ben Carson....He will do a lot more for black people than lily white Clinton ever will.

This aged poorly.

by Anonymousreply 37June 7, 2020 3:37 AM

This is simply not true. Seriously, Huma. You've now taken to posting on Datalounge? Are you two THAT desperate?

by Anonymousreply 38June 7, 2020 3:42 AM

[quote] Sharpton deserves credit for calling out the cronyism and corruption of law enforcement before camera phones and body cameras. He spent years shouting from the rooftops about cops killing or beating the dogshit out of unarmed people

Good point.

by Anonymousreply 39September 7, 2020 10:19 PM

Fuck off Bump Cunt at R39.

by Anonymousreply 40September 7, 2020 10:21 PM

That’s because black people are smarter. Too bad so many white women closet voted for trump.

by Anonymousreply 41September 7, 2020 10:27 PM

Then more of them should have showed up and voted for her, black turnout was way down in 2016.

by Anonymousreply 42September 7, 2020 10:29 PM

This thread is from 2015, R42. Come on.

by Anonymousreply 43September 7, 2020 10:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!