Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Joan Crawford/Joan Rivers encounter

Is it true that when Crawford met Rivers for the first time at a Hollywood party, Crawford looked at Rivers and said "I never had kosher before"? I've read that story on a few Hollywood gossip blogs over the years. It just seems like an urban legend

First of all, because Joan Crawford was straight. Second, because it's as odds with the ladylike image that she presented to the public. I would think she would consider that behavior too coarse and offensive.

by Anonymousreply 20April 25, 2020 2:31 AM

I wonder if Melissa Rivers says anything about that in her book that just came out.

by Anonymousreply 1August 10, 2015 12:21 AM

Joan was bi. Her loves may have included Garbo, Dietrich, Stanwyck and Monroe.

I doubt she would be turned on by Joan Rivers.

by Anonymousreply 2August 10, 2015 12:30 AM

Even Edgar wasn't turned on by Joan.

by Anonymousreply 3August 10, 2015 12:32 AM

Stanwyck and Crawford almost certainly bumped boxes. Dietrich couldn't stand Crawford.

by Anonymousreply 4August 10, 2015 12:33 AM

It's rubbish because Joan had already had Kosher many times before she knew Joan Rivers existed.

by Anonymousreply 5August 10, 2015 12:34 AM

Stanwyck was neither homosexual nor lesbian. The author of the recent Barbabra Stanwyck biography did exhaustive research and found no evidence that she had sex with women. Also, listen to the telephone conversation Stanwyck had with a columnist talking about Joan. Stanwyck had no idea she was being recorded, and she was trashing Joan as a horrible person. Its towards the end of the recording.

by Anonymousreply 6August 10, 2015 6:37 AM

In a biography of Tallulah Bankhead I read of an incident where Crawford showed up to a party which Bankhead was attending. Crawford arrived with a dress which apparently had alot of gold glitter on it. Both Tallulah and Joan "disappeared" from the rest of the gathering for awhile...The next thing the other guests knew, the irrepressible Ms. Bankhead returned to the party nude, with a large quantity of gold glitter on her body/public hair. She supposedly said to those assembled "Guess who just went down on me?!". Crawford was also OBSESSED with Garbo. She may have not been gay, but she sure wasn't straight (whether or not she ever approached Rivers).

by Anonymousreply 7August 11, 2015 10:27 PM

Stanwyck was both a homosexual and a lesbian. She was Gay

by Anonymousreply 8August 11, 2015 11:32 PM

I thought Stanwyck was bi?

by Anonymousreply 9August 12, 2015 3:16 PM

[quote] First of all, because Joan Crawford was straight.

Ahahahahaha !

[quote] it's as odds with the ladylike image that she presented to the public.

HAHAHAHAHAHAA !!

by Anonymousreply 10August 12, 2015 3:25 PM

The only completely straight woman in classic Hollywood was Bette Davis right? Although, she did have a lesbian manager (who used to be Dietrich's, and who Marlene sent to try to fuck her daughter to "turn her gay") and a gorgeous female "companion" in her older years, so you can't even bet on it.

by Anonymousreply 11August 12, 2015 3:29 PM

There is someone on Datalounge who thinks Joan and Barbara were straight? Good lord.

Nevertheless, I'm also curious about the source of the story OP mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 12August 20, 2015 8:57 PM

[quote]The next thing the other guests knew, the irrepressible Ms. Bankhead returned to the party nude, with a large quantity of gold glitter on her body/public hair.

As opposed to her private hair, R7?

by Anonymousreply 13August 20, 2015 9:34 PM

She had the glitter all over her body ( including her public hair), r13

by Anonymousreply 14August 21, 2015 1:06 PM

OP, can we talk?

by Anonymousreply 15August 21, 2015 1:54 PM

And Bette's sister Bobby looked very butch, too, R11.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 21, 2015 2:27 PM

[quote] Stanwyck was neither homosexual nor lesbian. The author of the recent Barbabra Stanwyck biography did exhaustive research and found no evidence that she had sex with women.

Only thing I ever saw Stanwyck in was The Colbys reruns on SoapNet. She was good in it (though she reportedly called it, "the biggest pile of garbage I ever did") but she was butch as hell.

I just can't fathom that she wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 17April 25, 2020 1:14 AM

R17, why is that TV show the only thing you've ever seen Barbara Stanwyck in? Either turn in your gay card or go watch Turner Classic Movies for awhile before you come back here.

by Anonymousreply 18April 25, 2020 2:14 AM

Please, this isn't about Stanwyck. I'm guessing she was a lesbian, but I wonder if she ever did anything about it. Enough about her, though. I mean Joan and Joan.

by Anonymousreply 19April 25, 2020 2:18 AM

I wonder if Tallulah somehow got the gold glitter off of Joan’s dress or found another source and just sprinkled it all over herself as a stunt? From what I’ve heard she’s quite the exhibitionist and liked to tell baudy jokes.

by Anonymousreply 20April 25, 2020 2:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!