Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Things of gone by eras that would be useful today

I'd like to see etiquette and comportment aka charm schools brought back. I have a job where I get to do lots of people watching and, wow, I can't believe how many younger people, heck even their parents, have terrible posture and walk with shoulders hunched, belly out and feet splayed out. They look sloppy as hell. When I was a kid my mother always corrected our posture especially at the dining table. If kids had feet pointing too far out or in, off to the orthopedic doc they would go.

by Anonymousreply 97August 29, 2020 5:25 AM

Millenials are without a doubt the rudest people in society today. I've never heard one say "Please" or "Thank you." They all seem to think they are somewhere on the autism spectrum and that means calling you names to your face.

by Anonymousreply 1August 9, 2015 10:36 PM

Boarding schools, nursemaids.

by Anonymousreply 2August 9, 2015 10:48 PM

Lobotomies

by Anonymousreply 3August 9, 2015 10:59 PM

pantries

appliances that last 2 decades

automats

dating

less gap between the rich and everyone else

a large comfortable middle class

by Anonymousreply 4August 9, 2015 11:01 PM

Fat womyn on garbage detail

by Anonymousreply 5August 9, 2015 11:05 PM

Fewer lawyers.

by Anonymousreply 6August 9, 2015 11:07 PM

A breakfast tray.

by Anonymousreply 7August 9, 2015 11:08 PM

Hanging.

by Anonymousreply 8August 9, 2015 11:19 PM

Winston Churchill

by Anonymousreply 9August 9, 2015 11:20 PM

R2 We still have them here in Britain!

by Anonymousreply 10August 9, 2015 11:22 PM

The British Empire.

by Anonymousreply 11August 9, 2015 11:23 PM

Saddam Hussein. Taking him out paved the way for ISIS.

by Anonymousreply 12August 9, 2015 11:30 PM

Home economy in general; making home preserves; saving & sharing jars with other home cooks; saving & re-employing useful packaging & less household waste going to needless landfill in general; vegetable gardening; mending clothes; keeping chickens for organic eggs; community projects, talking to, being civil with & knowing yr neighbours...

by Anonymousreply 13August 10, 2015 12:49 AM

OP sounds like a busybody. And effeminate.

R1, elderly people probably said the same thing about your generation. And if you never heard a millennial say please or thank you, then you need to get out more.

Are you a Republican? They hate "millennials" because most of them are gay-friendly and liberal on social issues.

by Anonymousreply 14August 10, 2015 12:50 AM

Sorry R14 not either but I am tired of seeing people with lousy fucking posture. Doesn't help that most are obese and horrible dressers too.

by Anonymousreply 15August 10, 2015 12:53 AM

See saws, jungle gyms, tall slides. Skateboarding is the only classic thing kids do on the street these days. Not even jump rope.

by Anonymousreply 16August 10, 2015 12:56 AM

I'll never understand how one person could care about someone else's posture. Mind your own damn business

by Anonymousreply 17August 10, 2015 12:57 AM

Slavery

Submissive obedient housewives who managed to keep a spotless house and a trim figure and keep their husbands happy

Children who were beaten into being well behaved polite and well mannered by their parents, aunts, grandparents, teachers, clergy, neighbours, the milkman, etc etc

by Anonymousreply 18August 10, 2015 1:00 AM

Call it a fetish R17. I also have a fetish about feet. Cannot stand seeing people in sandals with unkempt toe nails and calloused heels.

by Anonymousreply 19August 10, 2015 1:02 AM

R13 - [quote] keeping chickens for organic eggs Yea, that's great, until it actually happens. I live in Central America, in a semi rural, non gringo neighbourhood, and some neighbours have chickens, and roosters, including the ones almost attached to my house. They also use a (cough cough) wood burning stove, yet have a 50 inch flat screen tv. Some things for by gone eras should remain in the past.

by Anonymousreply 20August 10, 2015 1:03 AM

I love R13

by Anonymousreply 21August 10, 2015 1:03 AM

OP's Alma Mater

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 10, 2015 1:05 AM

"Cannot stand seeing people in sandals with unkempt toe nails and calloused heels."

Why are you even looking at people's feet? Are you a fetishist? I never notice feet

by Anonymousreply 23August 10, 2015 1:05 AM

I don't know R23. I just do. MY SIL always jokes that she has to make sure she gets a pedicure before any family gatherings, not that I'd actually say something.

by Anonymousreply 24August 10, 2015 1:11 AM

Long earrings.

by Anonymousreply 25August 10, 2015 1:11 AM

Moose toe

by Anonymousreply 26August 10, 2015 1:14 AM

Dumbwaiters

by Anonymousreply 27August 10, 2015 1:16 AM

I have ugly toes. I'm going to piss someone off tomorrow and wear sandals.

Who knew?

by Anonymousreply 28August 10, 2015 1:17 AM

I agree with the OP---technically I'm a Millennial, but I can't believe that saying "thank you," and "you're welcome" has fallen by the wayside. These days, it's just "No problem."

by Anonymousreply 29August 10, 2015 1:19 AM

Eleanor Roosevelt

by Anonymousreply 30August 10, 2015 1:20 AM

Nuns who could whip those under-parented kids into shape.

by Anonymousreply 31August 10, 2015 1:24 AM

Dressing appropriately for your surroundings. I'm sick of seeing unkempt slobs waddling around the supermarket in everything from jorts to pajamas. It's not kindergarten, why are grown adults going shopping in onesies? If you're going into a public place wear clothing appropriate for a public place.

Phones in restaurants / theaters etc. If you are having dinner with someone put your phone away and pay attention to your companion. If you're at a live performance then watch the fucking performance, don't just film it to watch later. It's annoying and rude.

by Anonymousreply 32August 10, 2015 1:26 AM

R26 - my mistake - it's called 'moose knuckle', not 'moose toe'. Not to be confused with camel toe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 10, 2015 1:34 AM

Yeah, too much trash behaviour out there. And slang, who says "sweat" when one should say "perspire"?

by Anonymousreply 34August 10, 2015 2:08 AM

What garbage-house dweller says "perspire" when the proper word is "glow"?

by Anonymousreply 35August 10, 2015 2:22 AM

Where you live sounds kinda cool R20

I sorta see your point wrt the immediate neighbours too. It's the environmental equivalent of a fatty having a slab of chocolate mudcake while putting sweet n low in the skim milk latte I suppose: hypocrisy manifest?!

However, to some extent how we live our lives even in smaller considerations, increments collective would do well to factor in Arctic - Antarctic eco systems among other scary global things within 50 yrs I humbly suggest.

Also, it's a shame neighbourly consideration & civility in yr neck of the woods apparently doesn't extend to some decent communal barter exchange for some those organic huevos over the back fence...but here's hoping neighbour relations ain't unnecessarily antagonistic leastaways- yr cortisol levels will thank you. If I was your neighbour, you are right, I'd probably make the offer on occasion, if not passing a quiche yr way if you're a hottie ;-)

by Anonymousreply 36August 10, 2015 3:00 AM

Mental institutions. Reagan closed them and the mentally ill all ended up on the streets, which is why we have such a bad homeless problem today. There's just some people who will never be right in the head and able to function in society. And now the ones notactually on the streets have access to guns and go around shooting up movie theaters, schools, etc.

There needs to places where these people can be controlled and medically treated. Being loose on the streets and insane as adults is a disaster. I don't remember any of these disgusting mass shootings by mentally deranged individuals when I was growing up.

by Anonymousreply 37August 10, 2015 3:32 AM

Saying you're sorry has also gone by the wayside. You either say you "did the best you could at the time," or that you're "sorry they feel that way," and therefore you never take responsibility for anything.

by Anonymousreply 38August 10, 2015 3:36 AM

Also, we need to bring back tactile buttons in cars. It's completely ridiculous for people to be taking their eyes off the roads to mess around with touch-screens. I preferred being able to reach down and feel the buttons and knobs on my radio without having to look down.

by Anonymousreply 39August 10, 2015 3:39 AM

Some of us can't help our posture, OP.

I was tormented in Catholic school. "Sit up straight! Stand up straight! Your shoulders are uneven! You look like a sad sack!"

Turns out I had scoliosis -- which I was never screened for in catholic school. And recently I saw a rheumatologist who informed me that my shoulders, hips and knees are double jointed. I knew my elbows and fingers were double jointed and I suspected my right shoulder was, too. But this explains why I could never hold straight posture for long. It was crazy painful. I tried to explain to the nuns that my "bones slid down" and I couldn't lift them up and keep them up for more than a few seconds. It was my loose-jointedness. My hips and shoulders automatically "slid" into the joint space. There was nothing I could do --- especially about the scoliosis, since that was something the school nurse was supposed to diagnose. There was no such thing as a "wellness visit" to a doctor in those days. You saw the doctor when you had chicken pox and he didn't exam your posture. He didn't even measure my height or take my weight. (I was small and underweight, which he never noticed. I was undernourished due to my mother giving as much money as she could to the church, rather than spending it on protein sources for her children).

Last year I had emergency abdominal surgery and they cut my abdominal muscles horizontally and vertically and no amount of crunches help. My once-flat stomach sticks out the a bowling ball now. It's so embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 40August 10, 2015 3:40 AM

I'm sorry you've had a tough time r40. Hope you recover well from the surgery.

by Anonymousreply 41August 10, 2015 3:43 AM

Pay phones

The sturdy phones that Western Electric made for the phone company.

Come to think of it, I want the old AT&T back. The phone service was dependable

by Anonymousreply 42August 10, 2015 3:54 AM

I am trim and well-groomed for my spouse, do all the housework, cooking and errands and would happily be subservient in exchange for not also having to work full-time outside the home, unfortunately feminism was co-opted by the greedy gov elite and merely surviving until death requires two incomes.

I, too am almost a hermit because the general public depress and nauseate me. Fatty fatty two by fours on little rascals buying absolute crap for breakfast, lunch and three dinners; people who gave so neglected their health they shop wearing oxygen strapped to their back like an astronaut, unkempt children, tramp stamps on the now elderly, visible because everyone thinks we want to see their blue, flabby skin and stranger's floppy members visible under sweat pants. Ugh. Do people have no dignity?

by Anonymousreply 43August 10, 2015 4:06 AM

segregation

by Anonymousreply 44August 10, 2015 4:16 AM

[quote]Children who were beaten into being well behaved polite and well mannered by their parents, aunts, grandparents, teachers, clergy, neighbours, the milkman, etc etc

I know you're being sarcastic, but the thought of The Village enforcing children's good behavior is as soothing to me as the scent of peppermints, pipe tobacco and a warm fire.

by Anonymousreply 45August 10, 2015 4:24 AM

Ah. Pipe tobacco. I do miss it.

by Anonymousreply 46August 10, 2015 4:27 AM

About children's behavior -- I couldn't agree more.

by Anonymousreply 47August 10, 2015 4:29 AM

R36 - No, relations with the neighbours are good - everyone is very friendly, and I always get a hello and smile from everyone walking by, especially the spinster twins. ( ; There is a language barrier - my fault, I only speak survival Spanish, and have boyfriends that speak English, so am not forced to learn Spanish. Although, that may be a good thing - it keeps the civility at hello's and asking how you are, without getting intrusive. It's a tight knit community, and everyone knows everyone's business. I can remain at a distance by being unable to 'gossip' with the neighbour ladies. It really is like a gone by era, when neighbours knew each, and took care of each other.

by Anonymousreply 48August 10, 2015 4:48 AM

lobotomies and lollipops

by Anonymousreply 49August 10, 2015 4:49 AM

common sense

by Anonymousreply 50August 10, 2015 4:52 AM

I miss polytheism. Pan lives!!! So does Zeus and the rest of the gang!

by Anonymousreply 51August 10, 2015 4:55 AM

It's none of your darn business what I wear to do the grocery shopping. What are you, a fashion Nazi? I'll wear what I darn well please.

by Anonymousreply 52August 10, 2015 5:00 AM

bras

by Anonymousreply 53August 10, 2015 5:03 AM

A car like the Model T where the owner was both able and encouraged by the manufacturer to perform most routine maintenance and repair himself.

by Anonymousreply 54August 10, 2015 5:15 AM

Women in hats and gloves when appearing in public.

by Anonymousreply 55August 10, 2015 5:29 AM

R52 has crusty, non-manicured feet and wears jammies to Wal-Mart. Also bad posture.

by Anonymousreply 56August 10, 2015 5:55 AM

It is kind of all our business what people wear in public R52.

Have some respect for yourself and others. Sheesh!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57August 10, 2015 6:02 AM

Fashion don'ts!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58August 10, 2015 6:08 AM

Fashion do's

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59August 10, 2015 6:13 AM

[quote] It really is like a gone by era,

It's bygone dearie just so's ya know.

by Anonymousreply 60August 10, 2015 6:21 AM

A liberal party capable of winning national elections.

by Anonymousreply 61August 10, 2015 6:47 AM

Living wages for labor.

by Anonymousreply 62August 10, 2015 7:20 AM

Handi-Wrap, none of the ones on the market are the same.

by Anonymousreply 63August 10, 2015 8:01 AM

Fruit-at-the-Bottom Yogurt. It's all mysteriously disappearing.

by Anonymousreply 64August 10, 2015 8:05 AM

^^^ Large curd cottage cheese too.

by Anonymousreply 65August 10, 2015 8:05 AM

Balloon street vendors and pop stands.

by Anonymousreply 66August 10, 2015 8:25 AM

I'm for going back to the last year that those fargin' Sippy Cups didn't exist. Whenever I see some former neighbor to a crotch spider running amok with one of those filthy things, I want to pimp slap the parents of tiny Jasunn or Brooklynne and pour out the contents of the thing over the brat's head. It's gonna wind up all over the floor anyway. 'Leak-free' my entire ass. Sippy Cup means kid goes in the high chair. No exceptions.

Another vote for proper attire in public spaces, especially restaurants. I DO NOT want to see your grimy, hairy foot dangling a Birkenstock sandal off your stinking toes. Your full 'a' holes Che-Marley-marijuana leaf t-shirt belongs in a paint can and those tattered cargo shorts simply wouldn't exist in a better world.

by Anonymousreply 67August 10, 2015 8:41 AM

writing letters and snail mailing them, Tupperware parties, door-to-door carollers during the holidays, disco, leg warmers, vinyl records, block parties, beehive hairdos, dippity-do, polyester leisure suits, velour sweats, shag rugs, black lights and psychedelic posters in the rec room, wood panelling, console TVs, mood rings, Afros, blue frosted eye shadow, Phil Donahue, Saturday morning cartoons, Bakelite bracelets, macrame pot holders, photo albums, Soul Train and American Band Stand, The Midnight Special, Creature Features, Wolfgang Jack, Rodney Allen Ripley, Count Chocula, roller skating, tobogganing

by Anonymousreply 68August 10, 2015 8:53 AM

Bait and tackle shops.

by Anonymousreply 69August 10, 2015 8:57 AM

Harvest gold and avocado green

by Anonymousreply 70August 10, 2015 8:57 AM

Flokati rugs, moccasins, fringe vests, god's eyes, chenille bedspreads, velvet couches, paint-by-numbers kits, pogo sticks, stilts, marbles, vesper martinis, gee your hair smells terrific, pickle barrels, streaking, kite flying, sun tea, cross country family vacation car trips, station wagons, H & H green stamps, Casey kasim's top 40, bubble baths

by Anonymousreply 71August 10, 2015 9:14 AM

Should read "S&H green stamps"

by Anonymousreply 72August 10, 2015 9:17 AM

A laundry chute.

by Anonymousreply 73August 10, 2015 2:06 PM

R60 - I was repeating the way it was written in the title of this thread.

by Anonymousreply 74August 10, 2015 3:55 PM

Quality of life. "Free time". Hobbies. Real DIY projects, as in, something needs fixing and you fix it, not, I have an hour, what should I make from a kit that I purchased at Walmart. Not working all the time. Not being essentially "on-call" tethered to a cell phone, regardless of occupation. Not multi-tasking. Getting to choose your own doctor, who is not part of some big corporate conglomerate and paying them a fair price for quality, personalized care for pennies on the comparative dollar.

Can I time travel to another decade please?

by Anonymousreply 75August 10, 2015 11:13 PM

..and a dirty, scuffed-up bowling ball you found in a vacant lot to to chuck into it, R73 Caught hell and a whuppin' for that stunt.

Station wagons, too. Playland at the Beach, brushed aluminum and glass front panels, baba rum cakes in packets, Picon, union-made Derby jackets, Sears & Radio Shack selling only their own brands, Western boots in western sizes, affordable English & European sports cars, all the laws neutered by Reagan that protected consumers from predatory capitalists, Heathkits, Lafayette stores, soda fountains, AM radio playing pop music, FM radio catering to elitists and weirdos, Dippity Do and Sanka cans, ranges with griddles, real playground equipment, not Nerf-y lumps of plastic, 'please', 'thank you', 'you're welcome',.

by Anonymousreply 76August 23, 2015 1:58 PM

Cafeterias.

Soda Fountains in Drug Stores.

The original Western Electric Touch Tone Phones (not rotary, though...I'm not THAT archaic).

Nice new songs on the radio...ones that you can singalong to, fall in love to...

'England'...not 'The UK'.

Station Wagons.

Cars in all sorts of colors...burgundy, for instance (yes, I'm thinking 70s).

Movies for adults.

BUT...clothes are more colorful again and men's dress pants are tight again...HURRAY!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77August 23, 2015 4:01 PM

Lots of these things are still around. I have a 1940s Stromberg Carlson telephone that still works and looks fabulous!

by Anonymousreply 78August 23, 2015 4:20 PM

[quote]gone by eras

You're ADORABLE!

by Anonymousreply 79August 23, 2015 8:12 PM

[quote] I have a job where I get to do lots of people watching and, wow, I can't believe how many younger people, heck even their parents, have terrible posture and walk with shoulders hunched, belly out and feet splayed out.

Mary!

by Anonymousreply 80August 23, 2015 8:19 PM

Boy brothels

by Anonymousreply 81August 24, 2015 4:25 AM

Cocaine and morphine legal and available almost EVERYWHERE. At least everywhere I would want to go.

by Anonymousreply 82August 24, 2015 4:32 AM

Those were the days when you could call a spade a spade. (and get away with it)

by Anonymousreply 83August 24, 2015 4:44 AM

The other night, I watched a show called "The Goldbergs" and the father lost his son at a Phillies game, and didn't really know how old the kid was. All he could tell the security guard that the kid had hair and a face, and I remember men being like that until maybe twenty years ago -- they never paid attention to most things and certainly never FOCUSED and MONITORED people and situations the way they do now.

Their attitude was what made America free.

by Anonymousreply 84August 25, 2015 1:37 AM

Few women in my generation (Jones) know how to serve tea, so I suspect the art is lost on Gen X, Y, Millennials, etc.

by Anonymousreply 85August 25, 2015 3:29 AM

Napkin folding is becoming a lost art.

by Anonymousreply 86August 25, 2015 2:00 PM

Dating

by Anonymousreply 87March 28, 2020 4:48 PM

R85 Don't you just pour it in a cup?

by Anonymousreply 88August 29, 2020 12:28 AM

Lithium for everyone

by Anonymousreply 89August 29, 2020 1:02 AM

Saying "You're welcome" when someone says "Thank you." The response I get most often these days is, "No problem." I didn't think it was a problem... Are you suggesting it might have been a problem to do something for me for which I might say, "Thank you"??

by Anonymousreply 90August 29, 2020 1:23 AM

Having pubic hair, untrimmed, unshaved, and proud to show it off.

by Anonymousreply 91August 29, 2020 1:34 AM

You know what I miss too, op? The days when you could beat up gays, those awful uppity negros and mouthy women and the police would look the other way. I miss it so! I also miss leaded gasoline and the days when you threw your trash out of your wood sided station wagon and nobody cared.

You are such a fucking idiot it defies all sense. Millennials are the ones getting tear gassed and standing up for democracy right now, instead of bitching about the days when they were happy in the closet or in a lavender marriage living a lie.

People like you should be locked UNDER mental institutions.

by Anonymousreply 92August 29, 2020 1:41 AM

the milk man

by Anonymousreply 93August 29, 2020 1:48 AM

Chains and shackles.

by Anonymousreply 94August 29, 2020 1:56 AM

Doing math in your head.

by Anonymousreply 95August 29, 2020 2:15 AM

Some women should be struck regularly, like gongs.

by Anonymousreply 96August 29, 2020 4:26 AM

Insane asylums.

by Anonymousreply 97August 29, 2020 5:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!