Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

DUI Suspect Takes Selfie With Cop Arresting Him

If the smartphone era has taught us one thing, it's never waste the opportunity for a memorable selfie.

It's a lesson that Gilbert Phelps, 20, apparently took both to heart and to social media by taking a selfie with a police officer who was arresting him.

Phelps was pulled over for speeding at about 2 a.m. Thursday by Iowa City Police Officer Ben Hektoen, who also noticed the registration sticker was obstructed, according to KCRG.com.

Hektoen said he detected the smell of booze in Phelps' car, and noted that Phelps copped to “smoking marijuana prior to driving.” The suspect allegedly displayed “measurable impairment” during field sobriety tests.

Although a Breathalyzer didn't pick up any suds on Phelps' breath, a “certified Drug Recognition Expert” who analyzed him said he was “under the influence of cannabis" and unable to safely operate a motor vehicle, according to a police report.

However, Phelps wasn't impaired enough to stop going viral on social media.

During testing, the suspect asked if he could take a selfie with the officer, who "happily obliged," according to CBS 2.

Phelps posted the DUI selfie on SnapChat and captioned it with emojis of a police car, a passenger car and a tow truck, according to the Iowa City Press-Citizen.

Phelps has been charged with operating while under the influence and is free on bond. he is due in court Aug. 17 for a preliminary hearing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 24, 2020 10:11 PM

That's actually pretty funny. The cop is in on 'the joke' ................ better than all the violence nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 1August 9, 2015 2:13 PM

Officer Ben is fairly hot, so if I were a dumb kid now, I would, too.

by Anonymousreply 2August 9, 2015 3:58 PM

If the stoner was black, he'd by laying in a pool of his own blood instead of smiling and taking selfies with Officer Friendly.

by Anonymousreply 3August 9, 2015 4:47 PM

The cop is HOT

by Anonymousreply 4August 12, 2015 2:03 AM

If the stoner was black, he may have tried to fight the cop that arrested him instead of taking the selfie, R3

by Anonymousreply 5August 12, 2015 2:32 AM

The twink who got arrested was kind of cute. He was probably having a cop fantasy, and wanted a souvenir.

by Anonymousreply 6August 12, 2015 3:58 AM

Well, we don't know because if he was black, he'd still be dead. That's kind of the point.

by Anonymousreply 7August 12, 2015 4:55 AM

did the cop give that kid his d to suck on?

by Anonymousreply 8August 14, 2015 10:35 PM

That boy is just dee-you-em-bee!

by Anonymousreply 9August 14, 2015 11:25 PM

Bet they fucked later that night.

by Anonymousreply 10August 15, 2015 1:19 AM

A good example of white privilege.

by Anonymousreply 11August 15, 2015 4:56 AM

Isn't he Hispanic?

by Anonymousreply 12August 15, 2015 4:57 AM

The cop has a Germanic Nazi last name.

by Anonymousreply 13August 15, 2015 5:07 AM

I suspect prison sex happened.

by Anonymousreply 14August 15, 2015 5:36 AM

I'd give anything for a National No Cell Phone Month. Ok, now rip me to shreds.

by Anonymousreply 15August 15, 2015 6:15 AM

Chimp ears aside, that kid is hot. I'd fuck him in the holding cell.

by Anonymousreply 16August 15, 2015 6:19 AM

I'm surprised nobody's talking about how unprofessional it was for the cop to agree to the selfie. It looks like he's making light of the serious nature of the crime. Driving impaired is like brandishing a weapon.

by Anonymousreply 17August 15, 2015 7:24 AM

Dumb shits

by Anonymousreply 18August 15, 2015 2:30 PM

Same here, R10. There's just something about those two...

by Anonymousreply 19August 15, 2015 2:33 PM

Love in jail means never having to say your sorry

by Anonymousreply 20August 15, 2015 4:45 PM

Being a small town, I suspect they knew each other.

by Anonymousreply 21August 15, 2015 7:24 PM

they probably know each other a little bit better now

by Anonymousreply 22August 15, 2015 8:27 PM

[quote]I'm surprised nobody's talking about how unprofessional it was for the cop to agree to the selfie. It looks like he's making light of the serious nature of the crime. Driving impaired is like brandishing a weapon.

Cops aren't robots being completely disconnected from the people they deal with. Most offenders are normal people, not some psycho Hannibal Lecters, and it's just common courtesy to be polite. I'm sure it's much easier mentally for cops to be polite and in relatively good spirits with the offenders that aren't trying to kill them. I'm certain cops also know that criminals are people just like you and me. People who've worked in customer service know how taxing it is if you can't be positive with your customers at least sometimes.

Of course DUI is terrible but thankfully nothing happened with this kid before he was caught. You might say it was a victory for the cops they got him off the roads so why shouldn't he be happy?

by Anonymousreply 23August 15, 2015 8:45 PM

The cop is hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 24, 2020 10:03 PM

God I have come to hate that stupid Trump thumbs up and anyone who gives it.

by Anonymousreply 25November 24, 2020 10:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!