Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What's the saddest or silliest thing you've ever done in the name of fandom?

Me:

I used to be obsessed with a certain public figure who was (and still is) rumored to be gay. I read everything about him I could find on the internet and stumbled onto the name of a guy who supposedly was his secret boyfriend (the alleged bf is not a public figure) - an internet search revealed the guy's phone number and I picked up the phone and called him. I honestly don't know WHY I did it - it's not like a would have ever had the guts to just ask him about his personal life. After he answered I just hung up because I was so embarrassed.

In my defense I was a teen at the time, but.....

by Anonymousreply 38May 23, 2020 2:27 AM

Yes, Mr. Belvedere was gay but here's a pin-up for old time's sake:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 8, 2015 2:51 AM

OMG, OP.

WHO was the actor?!

by Anonymousreply 2August 8, 2015 5:29 AM

R2 I'd like to know, too.

by Anonymousreply 3August 8, 2015 5:29 AM

I became obsessed with an unknown gay actor in an off Broadway play who has now somewhat successful career and is now based in LA. I sent him a very luxurious gift which honestly was a personal comp from the high end fashion company I was working for.

Impossibly handsome and charismatic and now works in LA. Certainly my feelings have lessened but I try to keep up with him on news on the internet.

Hope to never meet him but wouldn't mind seeing him on the street. This has never happened to me before and I imagine it won't happen again.

One of the 2 or 3 people in my life I have been jealous of.

by Anonymousreply 4August 8, 2015 6:00 AM

R1 Who was it?

R4 Why so jealous?

by Anonymousreply 5August 8, 2015 11:52 AM

I was obsessed with a certain D- status actor (I am too embarrassed to reveal his name) Anyway, I found out where he lived, so I drove passed his house. I didn't stop of anything, because I felt like a lunatic stalker. To this day I am ashamed of myself.

by Anonymousreply 6August 8, 2015 12:33 PM

Found a celeb's home address after some slightly unethical (but not illegal) online searching. Sent a nice copy of a book of philosophy with a short note. Once I shook off my stupid crush I realized I was acting like an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 7August 8, 2015 2:22 PM

believing a single thing out of liar Frank Ocean’s lying mouth

by Anonymousreply 8August 8, 2015 2:35 PM

I'm so embarrassed to admit this but I fell into the black hole that is tinhatting an actor who has some rumours here on DL but nothing concrete. Anyway, there's some receipts out there, but a lot of is circumstantial and it's very time consuming.

by Anonymousreply 9August 8, 2015 2:50 PM

This is not to sound holier than thou because I really don't mean it in that way but I've never had the desire to track anyone and I don't know why. Even online, exes, I'd like my privacy but I'm not too concerned about who tracks me online and I generally feel like, well, if someone wants my company they'll seek it out. I find that unusual from almost everyone else I've known and I don't know if I'm just passive and don't realize it? All my my friends, peers, co-workers express this interest but I don't feel it and I know it's different.

I defeinitely have my fixations and interests and again, this is not a judgement -- seriously -- but I feel like the odd one out, anachronistic, in this whole tracking thing.

by Anonymousreply 10August 8, 2015 3:11 PM

R10 Maybe it's an alpha/aggressive, beta/passive thing and i'm just more passive than my peers?

by Anonymousreply 11August 8, 2015 3:13 PM

You guys need to name names! It's an anonymous message board for god's sake..

by Anonymousreply 12August 8, 2015 3:58 PM

"Tinhatting an actor"? What in the world...?

by Anonymousreply 13August 8, 2015 4:08 PM

Jealous because he's very handsome, talented and a super sweet guy from everything I've read about him.

And I am none of those things. Even if I tried to be super sweet it would come across as cloying and just not who I am.

He just seems to have this disposition innately like his good looks.

And God forgive me for being so superficial but I bet his sex life is so hot.

by Anonymousreply 14August 8, 2015 4:12 PM

I had a huge crush on Rod Taylor when I was 16. There I was, cooped up in an exclusive, all-male boarding school, where all the guys were obsessed with women and the girls they were trying to fuck, and all I wanted was to be looked on with favor by Mr. T. Crazy. So I actually joined his fan club. (Yeah, me and 587 middle-aged women...) I ended up belonging for 3 years; still have the 3 autographed photos they sent me, one for each year.

Years later, when I was a closeted actor in NYC, married to a woman, I met a Long Island State patrolman at the old Club Baths, on 1st Ave. For some reason, I mentioned Taylor, and he told me he'd been an aspiring model in Hollywood in 1960, had met Taylor at a cocktail party, and they'd been fuck buddies for about a year. Wild. (Taylor was a very hot, hairy, stocky man, though he did tend to drink too much, which ended up ruining his looks to the point where the New York Times described his appearance in INGLORIOUS BASTERDS as "unrecognizable.")

I still would have done him, right up to the end. Ah well.

by Anonymousreply 15August 8, 2015 5:51 PM

As a boy in the 60s I was crazy bout Taylor and the film art of him in the bathrobe which had probably been on a billboard was about as sexy as anything I'd seen.

So happy to hear he had fuck buddies and I like to think he might very well have been doing every hot male up and down the California coast in the 50s and 60s.

by Anonymousreply 16August 8, 2015 8:13 PM

crazy 'about' Taylor and the film art was for 'The Liquidator.'

When I saw The Glass Bottom Boat I was convinced I was going to grow up to look just like him.

I didn't.

by Anonymousreply 17August 8, 2015 8:20 PM

Ah, I wrote fan fiction for a while, most of it funny (to other fans) and well recieved. Then I got ambitious and started writing a murder mystery set in the fantasy world in question, I wrote a couple of hundred pages but never finished the monster. I didn't intend to publish it or anything, just let some other nerds read it for free, which has to set some kind of record for wasted effort.

My real life was extremely stressful at that time, taking a break to pretend I lived in another world was a relief.

by Anonymousreply 18August 9, 2015 12:39 AM

R15 Love your post

Married closeted actor in NY? What happened next???? (sorry to get personal)

by Anonymousreply 19August 9, 2015 12:45 AM

[quote]"Tinhatting an actor"? What in the world...?

Here we go.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 9, 2015 12:57 AM

Traded my soul to the devil for 10 years following the Grateful Dead. Drugs, music, lots of twinky hippie boys. Paradise. The best part of it all, 20 years later (after the dope wore off) I found myself in posession of my soul, after all. Everybody wins, --well almost everybody.

by Anonymousreply 21August 9, 2015 4:26 AM

Ach ja - forgot. My mother found it to be the saddest and silliest thing I had ever done. I said "we'll see".

by Anonymousreply 22August 9, 2015 4:27 AM

Where is SS Terri?

by Anonymousreply 23August 9, 2015 4:24 PM

10 years ago I spent around £15 buying a crappy homemade DVD off ebay featuring a compilation of some of Winona Ryder's old TV interviews and award show appearances etc. It must have been from some old Winona Ryder fanzine. All the clips that were on it are on Youtube now.

And when I visited Hollywood I tried to find her star on the walk of fame but ended up walking in the wrong direction and started heading into what looked like a seedy area before giving up (I didn't get another chance to look)

But that's nothing compared to what I've seen from other Winona Ryder fans, there's one old guy who first became obsessed with her after seeing Beetlejuice when it first came out (at the time he must have been in his late 30s at least), he wears homemade t-shirts of her and once found the address of her house when she lived in Doheny Drive and paid it a visit, taking some photos of her gate and her cars.

by Anonymousreply 24August 9, 2015 6:04 PM

I became a big fan of the cult British sitcom Peep Show and one day I decided to drive to Croydon, South London (I live about an hour away) to visit the locations used in the first couple of series, this block of flats (see link) and the office building the main character worked in. And I went alone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 9, 2015 6:17 PM

I blew a couple of loads into a tub of face cream and sent it to Jason Bateman with a fake letter asking him to be the model for a company's new men's skin care line.

by Anonymousreply 26August 9, 2015 6:26 PM

R26 Ha ha, no, you didn't, but thanks for the laugh.

by Anonymousreply 27August 9, 2015 6:47 PM

Where is that fangurl who pretended to be dating Nick Carter?

by Anonymousreply 28August 9, 2015 7:31 PM

I tried to follow some of the fandom threads on data lounge that are about some actors and famous people I'm a fan of. But then I realized the posters were very unstable middle aged fraus and teens and I had to give up. The crowd those threads attract are very different than most threads.

by Anonymousreply 29August 9, 2015 7:54 PM

Are you sure, r27?

by Anonymousreply 30August 9, 2015 7:57 PM

R30 Well, of course I cannot be sure, but it sounds like a joke to me.

by Anonymousreply 31August 9, 2015 8:00 PM

I'm pretty obsessed with a Russian athlete and I spend a lot of my free time Googling him & posting pics on Tumblr. I'm not a teenager, either. I feel jealous of his girlfriend, even though there's pretty much no possibility that I would ever even get to meet him, let alone have a chance with him. But I'd never stalk anyone or write fan fiction or anything like that...just pine for him hopelessly.

by Anonymousreply 32August 9, 2015 8:24 PM

I want to know who R14 is talking about.

by Anonymousreply 33August 9, 2015 8:45 PM

R14 Is it Matt Bomer?

by Anonymousreply 34August 9, 2015 8:51 PM

As a young teenager (14, maybe 15) I went through a bit of a Kennedy family obsession. I would read books and watch documentaries about the Kennedy family and then that same year the William Kennedy Smith rape trial happened to be going on. My best friend at the time (a morbidly obese girl who was a pathological liar) would come over to my house and we would obsess over every detail of the trial. I wouldn't say we had a crush on him, but I don't know exactly what to call it. We would go to the library (pre-internet of course) and steal magazines with articles about him and look through Florida phone books for any William Kennedy Smith's. We found two numbers and proceeded to call them from the payphone outside the library. I mean of course the Kennedy's are listed in the phone book! I remember just hanging up on whoever answered the phone. This kept us busy for hours. I cringe thinking about it now.

by Anonymousreply 35August 9, 2015 8:59 PM

Not so long ago in my teen years I've stopped talking to friends and cut them out of my life becauae they didn't like my favorite band's latest song and called it "funny" I've also done the million tweets to get them trending and fought with rival bands' fans. Also complained about the shows that didn't feature my tweets to them.

by Anonymousreply 36August 9, 2015 10:00 PM

Lol OP, I called the founder of sissyfight.com once. He yelled at me but he's the idiot who put his number online.

by Anonymousreply 37May 22, 2020 6:44 PM

[Quote] Not so long ago in my teen years I've stopped talking to friends and cut them out of my life becauae they didn't like my favorite band's latest song

Reminds me of when a friend in high school stopped talking to me because I told her she didn't have a chance with the lead singer from Hanson.

by Anonymousreply 38May 23, 2020 2:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!