Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Classic Hollywood

Currently TCM is showing Dick Cavett's interview with Kate Hepburn. She was such a tremendous actress and had a fascinating presence! Watching this interview made me wonder if we have - presently - any movie stars today with similar talent and regard? I couldn't think anyone who comes close? Can you?

by Anonymousreply 9May 25, 2020 3:05 AM

I thought she was a bit of an asshole with her feet up on the coffee table. like bossy dyke.

by Anonymousreply 1August 7, 2015 11:49 PM

People like R1 are the reason we can't have fascinating people anymore.

by Anonymousreply 2August 8, 2015 12:02 AM

I love Hepburn & O'Toole in "The Lion In Winter" - scenery chewing at its best! And a young, beautiful Timothy Dalton just for good measure

by Anonymousreply 3August 8, 2015 12:18 AM

R3 Now Kate was awesome in that flick, she had serious command and presence/O'Toole was "her" equal. Good script helps as well..

by Anonymousreply 4August 8, 2015 12:22 AM

Kate Hepburn had an irritating voice and a rhythmic pattern to her speech that she used no matter what role she was playing. Did it sometimes work for her in certain roles? Yes. But many roles you just wanted to reach up to that screen and slap her cross-eyed. I've seen the Cavett interview and it was one of those times I just wanted her to shut up.

by Anonymousreply 5August 8, 2015 12:40 AM

Women today in Hollywood in general are not groomed and polished up like they were back in the classic Hollywood days. Those with star quality back then had contracts that kept them around long enough to build up a body of work and a chance for the audience to love them. These days, the women stars are here today and gone tomorrow because talent is rarely required from them --unless they are Meryl Streep.

by Anonymousreply 6August 8, 2015 12:40 AM

Not this again.......... Virtually everyone who started their film career before WWII could be considered mannered and often a bit affected like Hepburn. Her accent came from Bryn Mawr. No one really broke this mold until perhaps John Garfield in the late 30s, who reflected the influence of The Group theater. Some people had a an easy going style that was mannered w/o seeming so, e.g. Spencer Tracy or Humphrey Bogart, but actors basically got typed and fell into roles and the diction that came with them.

To her credit, Hepburn always played what could be considered independent women and was something more than a run of the mill leading lady. These days, actors aren't taken seriously unless they play a variety of parts. Hepburn wouldn't have done so well. Her modern analogue would be Streep who, in a way, is very mannered, in terms of the technical sometimes easy to mock quality of her presentations.

by Anonymousreply 7August 8, 2015 1:18 AM

I miss glamour. I miss the transatlantic accent. Bitches talk like trash now and get famous for it. It's BS.

by Anonymousreply 8May 25, 2020 2:43 AM

As to whether any of today's actors rise to the level of Hepburn and her contemporaries: Nope.

by Anonymousreply 9May 25, 2020 3:05 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!