Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Which Golden Girl Actress Was The Worst?

Sofia was the worst actress, bitch read her lines off idiot cards.

by Anonymousreply 28May 20, 2020 5:27 AM

She had terrible stage fright and would go into panics on occasion.I loved Sophia.

by Anonymousreply 1August 7, 2015 10:06 PM

Sophia (not "Sofia") was a character, not an actress.

by Anonymousreply 2August 7, 2015 10:13 PM

You queens are just scared of getting old.

by Anonymousreply 3August 7, 2015 10:14 PM

OP, you fail at everything in life, including this thread. Estelle Getty only started using cue cards after she began to have problems with her memory due to dementia, if I am correct.

by Anonymousreply 4August 7, 2015 10:16 PM

I know probably no one will agree with me, but I think Bea might be the worst. She was great giving snappy putdowns and bitchy lines but otherwise was weak if a scene required any deeper emotions. For instance, there was one episode where Sofia was pretending to have a heart attack(I think--I don't know these episodes backwards and forwards like a lot of you seem to), and Bea's cries of "Ma! Oh, God, Ma!" were unconvincing at best and amateurish at worst

by Anonymousreply 5August 7, 2015 10:17 PM

It ain't Strindberg, OP.

They're all fine for what it they were called up on to do, which was to be amusing.

by Anonymousreply 6August 7, 2015 10:21 PM

I love Be Arthur's sit coms but she was pretty much one note when it came to acting. Her voice was largely responsible for that. She could emote with the best of them but once that deep voice was heard, it was BEA ARTHUR. Ms Patrillo was actually pretty damn good. She had a difficult role, but she never failed to deliver her character. Scared or not, it never was noticed on screen.

by Anonymousreply 7August 7, 2015 10:21 PM

It's no contest - definitely Estelle Getty. She did Sophia well, but there wasn't much skill involved. Both Rose and Blanche would have been ridiculous caricatures if it weren't for quality acting, especially for Rose, which was as completely unbelievable character.

by Anonymousreply 8August 7, 2015 10:23 PM

Bea was hilarious as Dorothy, I can't imagine any other actress in the role. You acting gurus can just move on and write The Golden Gays with all the acting gymnastics flamboyance of the gay caricatures and cum on it.

by Anonymousreply 9August 7, 2015 10:28 PM

Estelle Getty 100%. Her delivery was embarrassingly awful and she always looked straight out front, rarely at the person(s) with whom she was supposed to be interacting. I never understood what she was doing there with those other great actresses when she had to be aged up. There was no better actress her age or older? Doubtful.

by Anonymousreply 10August 7, 2015 10:35 PM

I think he's cute. Verificatia of size meat or power-bottom status?

by Anonymousreply 11August 7, 2015 10:38 PM

Estelle was the worst. She was clearly reading her lines from day one.

by Anonymousreply 12August 7, 2015 10:52 PM

R12 and R10 read what R4 wrote, she forgot all her lines right before taping and back then everyone thought she had stage fright.

by Anonymousreply 13August 7, 2015 11:07 PM

The quality of their acting based heavily on material. Blanche was written more and more man hunting bitch, so what was Rue supposed to do. Dorothy was much better at first, Bea knew it and wanted out after 5 seasons, but went on for two more seasons. Stella was a supporting actress and did solid acting. Betty was the best, she made Rose believable role.

by Anonymousreply 14August 7, 2015 11:10 PM

We need Golden Guys with four older gay men living together. Sophia-character could be someone's straight dad, though.

by Anonymousreply 15August 7, 2015 11:10 PM

Well, gays want everything they see to be perfect, they even want perfection out of old ladies.

by Anonymousreply 16August 7, 2015 11:14 PM

Well, R16, they were pulling in more per episode than you make per year, so yes, our standards for that are pretty high.

by Anonymousreply 17August 7, 2015 11:28 PM

I saw Estelle Getty on stage in TORCH SONG TRILOGY in 1982 and thought she was terrific. She had no trouble with her lines back then, so if she had a problem with memory, it manifested itself later on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 7, 2015 11:35 PM

I do not believe any one of them was worse than the others. I thought they equally good at the roles they played.

by Anonymousreply 19August 7, 2015 11:42 PM

typo-I meant to type i thought thy WERE equally good

by Anonymousreply 20August 7, 2015 11:43 PM

No offense, but Betty White/Rose. She was pretty one note.

by Anonymousreply 21May 19, 2020 10:32 PM

Busy day bumping 2015 threads again, loser R21?

by Anonymousreply 22May 19, 2020 10:36 PM

Hi R22! Please excuse me if I bump an old thread. I often leave items open in my tabs for months/years and may inadvertently bump threads from time to time. If that happens, please feel free to ignore me.

by Anonymousreply 23May 19, 2020 10:43 PM

FU OP.... It's not like the actresses were given Shakespere to recite.

And lay of Estelle...let's see you carry on acting in a top rated sitcom when you have Dementia with Lewy bodies

by Anonymousreply 24May 20, 2020 2:01 AM

Bea Arthur was always only Bea Arthur. Funny, at times, bitchy usually, but mostly ho hum

by Anonymousreply 25May 20, 2020 2:43 AM

One of Estelle’s worst moments was in the episode where she visits her old apartment and talks to Salvador’s ghost. God, that sucked.

by Anonymousreply 26May 20, 2020 5:09 AM

They were all terrific comic actresses who did everything possible with scripts that were often anything but gold.

by Anonymousreply 27May 20, 2020 5:17 AM

[quote]I often leave items open in my tabs for months/years and may inadvertently bump threads from time to time.

Hmm, yes, it makes total sense that you've never had an internet outage, power outage, or browser or laptop updates in the last five years, or that your browser didn't crash.

It was kind of embarrassing that someone on another thread believed your bullshit but that's what Datalounge is now, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 28May 20, 2020 5:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!