Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Great British Bake Off - 2015

Your fondant or your life, bitches.

Paul and Mary are Sue and Mel are BACK for another round of delicious bakes.

Episode one focused on cakes.

Signature Bake - Mary's Walnut Cake

Technical Challenge - Madeira Cake

Showstopper Challenge - Black Forest Gateau

Without giving too much away...

Hipster, you in danger gurl.

by Anonymousreply 152April 2, 2021 4:08 PM

Oh fuckity fuck fuck fuck.

*Paul and Mary AND Sue and Mel are back.

by Anonymousreply 1August 7, 2015 3:13 AM

Did Paul father Marcela's latest offspring? Are they still an item?

by Anonymousreply 2August 7, 2015 5:36 AM

I'm so depressed I can't watch this is America right now. This is possibly the best show in the world.

by Anonymousreply 3August 7, 2015 11:25 AM

Hey R3, I'm in the US and I watch on a streaming site several hours after it airs in the UK. Do some Googling and I bet you'll find something. Oh, last episode was biscuits (or cookies, to us).

by Anonymousreply 4August 15, 2015 12:30 AM

Latest episode was BREAD.

by Anonymousreply 5August 22, 2015 4:40 PM

Hipster bit the dust thankfully early. The Bread episode was good, but *nothing* will ever compare to Dianagate and the Baked Alaska Debacle. That was *magnificent*.

by Anonymousreply 6August 22, 2015 4:47 PM

I hate the fact I find Paul so hot.

by Anonymousreply 7August 22, 2015 6:09 PM

the Mary Berry look of gentle disapproval is something i gotta master

by Anonymousreply 8August 25, 2015 5:03 AM

I found that firefighter guy Mat awfully cute despite his weird looking nose

by Anonymousreply 9August 25, 2015 5:11 AM

here is Mat's photo, and he is much cuter on tv

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 25, 2015 5:12 AM

Matt is a walking Wallace and Gromit character.

by Anonymousreply 11August 26, 2015 8:21 AM

r3, here ya go:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 26, 2015 8:44 AM

The "Extra Slice" aftershows are fun.

by Anonymousreply 13September 4, 2015 5:49 PM

My PBS has been showing the show on Saturday nights. Two episodes every Saturday.

They crowned the winner this past Saturday.

Is this a new season you are discussing?

by Anonymousreply 14September 4, 2015 6:45 PM

Who was the winner? The latest season shown right now in the UK is season 6 and is on it's fourth or fifth episode

by Anonymousreply 15September 4, 2015 8:09 PM

Dears, we don't call them "seasons" here in the UK, not in the telly-box sense. The word you're looking for is "series". Do keep up.

I'm waiting for this years Diana-moment. And yes, I did cackle when that forgettable berk didn't win star baker this time around.

by Anonymousreply 16September 4, 2015 8:14 PM

That show is a damn good example of nonfiction media. It's a reality show, but more refined than we see in the States. And the production values are good too.

by Anonymousreply 17September 4, 2015 8:53 PM

Plus it's educational!

by Anonymousreply 18September 4, 2015 9:06 PM

r16, leave Ian alone...

by Anonymousreply 19September 4, 2015 10:06 PM

Tamal is cute as hell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 5, 2015 12:56 AM

But the burka'd chick did make some nice ice cream rolls. And the colored batter trick was sweet.

by Anonymousreply 21September 5, 2015 8:47 AM

Agreed, R20, Tamal is the most attractive guy on the set, and he's got a great personality as well. I've got a bit of a crush.

by Anonymousreply 22September 5, 2015 9:28 AM

I love this show but I always wonder at the arbitrary number of items the contestants are told to make per challenge: 24 scones, 36 pitas, 12 eclairs. Why so many and does anyone eat them or do they all get dumped? I kinda hate the wasting of food on a lot of these cooking shows.

by Anonymousreply 23September 5, 2015 3:19 PM

I've heard that the crew wolf down the munchies. And yeah, Tamal is *hot*

by Anonymousreply 24September 5, 2015 3:24 PM

OH NO!!! the awfully cute Mat was eliminated last night, this came right after he won the star baker last week. This is so sad, I need a cake now!

by Anonymousreply 25September 16, 2015 9:22 PM

I hate reality shows and contests - okay that world wide scavenger hunt one was kinda enjoyable at times - but this show is fabulous. No one tries to humiliate anyone or be mean. It's just a lovely outing and as someone said it is educational. I stopped baking a long time ago when I got a tiny kitchen, I still cook a lot but baking takes so much it's just easier to buy baked goods. And great baked goods are everywhere now unlike back in the day. This show is inspiring me to start baking again - just in time for the holidays.

I watch it on both PBS and its companion channel PBS-UK.

by Anonymousreply 26September 16, 2015 9:48 PM

The only disappointing thing about this series is that it is pretty much obvious who is getting kicked off each week. It has never really been a tight decision, yet, so it robs the end of each episode of any real tension.

by Anonymousreply 27September 16, 2015 10:15 PM

R27 well I think the "suspense" is who will win the star baker, not the one who is let go, like yesterday's episode, Ian made a fantastic show-stopper and I thought he would win with that crown piece, but in the end the star baker is Tamal because of his overall performance in all three challenges.

by Anonymousreply 28September 17, 2015 5:41 AM

I have to agree. I loathe most reality tv. I only catch this show occasionally, but when I do I'm smitten. Interesting contestants from all walks of life, funny and engaging hosts, smart, articulate, tough, but compassionate judges. I'm kind of amazed at the variety of things that people can bake out of a collection of very similar ingredients. Though, must admit, the show is TORTURE if you're counting carbs.

by Anonymousreply 29September 17, 2015 6:03 AM

r25, NOOOOOOOOOOOO......

by Anonymousreply 30September 17, 2015 6:28 AM

I repeat - more than half the fun for me is the Extra Slice aftershow. The tone and Jo Brand's sense of humor is just as delightful as the show itself.

by Anonymousreply 31September 17, 2015 9:24 AM

Love this show. I've never eaten boar, rabbit, pigeon or venison but those pies looked tasty. During the contestant visits, Mary's mentioned "jelly" with the Game pies. Being a dumb American, I wondered how (grape) jelly paired with meat. Ian(?) made a side dish of tan goo with his pie. Is that still served in modern times in England - savory pie with a side dish of savory gelatine?

I like Nadiya - she is just so exotic, pretty, and sincere. I still don't understand why the judges are shooed out of the tent when the hosts describe what they have to make during the Technical challenge. Even though one of the judges chose the bake item, them being in the room has no bearing on how the proceedings go.

by Anonymousreply 32September 17, 2015 1:40 PM

R32 - the jelly is usually poured *into* the pie to set as it cools. Because of the time-limits on the pies, they didn't have that opportunity. It would have definitely made some of the drier pies more succulent and juicy. And yes, here in the UK, we do still eat pies with jelly in 'em - look up the Melton Mowbray pork pie. It's a delight.

by Anonymousreply 33September 17, 2015 6:09 PM

I'm going to be honest I was glad that Ian didn't win Star Baker this week. He's a bit smug and a bit "well, look at what I can do!" If you take away the crown on that bloody dessert he made last night (Charlotte russe is actually quite easy to make, despite what the show claims), his effort was quite mediocre compared to, say, Tamal or Nadiya's. Tamal's was impressive - Charlotte russe traditionally has a sponge base, but he thickened the jelly with enough gelatin (my mother chirped "He likes it stiff and hard, doesn't he?") so that it *didn't* need the sponge base. Ian's was....meh.

The one thing I'm loving about this years Bake Off right now is the spluttering rage of the commenters on the Daily Mail - not just one token Asian, but TWO? AND ONE OF THEM IS A FUCKING MUSLIM!? Rather mirth-inducing, wot.

By the way - if you're new to GBBO, I thoroughly recommend waiting for the Patisserie episode. That's when you see the smugness fade (yes, Flora, I'm looking at *you*, girl)...

by Anonymousreply 34September 17, 2015 6:16 PM

Why did I find Mat so attractive? But I did, I was so sad to see him go. I don't care who wins now. I'll watch, but it won't be the same without Mat. It's a good year, maybe not as good as 2012, maybe on par with 2013, much better than last year though.

I can see Nadiya having a career on TV, if like Jon, she gets some professional training.

by Anonymousreply 35September 17, 2015 6:20 PM

My favorite cooking reality show is Masterchef Australia. It goes on for like sixty episodes per season. Cute Aussies, weird ingredients, tasty food, and everybody is so darned nice and friendly.

by Anonymousreply 36September 17, 2015 6:24 PM

isn't Tamal also a Muslim? they have two Muslims on the show this year.

by Anonymousreply 37September 17, 2015 6:38 PM

[quote]The one thing I'm loving about this years Bake Off right now is the spluttering rage of the commenters on the Daily Mail - not just one token Asian, but TWO? AND ONE OF THEM IS A FUCKING MUSLIM!? Rather mirth-inducing, wot.

The Daily Mail comments are always filled to the brim with bigoted insanity.

by Anonymousreply 38September 17, 2015 6:46 PM

Mat's post-exit interview with The Guardian:

Mat became the seventh baker to leave the tent on Wednesday – and the second person to do so the week after being named star baker in the Great British Bake Off’s sixth series.

The firefighter’s his and hers vol-au-vents and pina colada frangipane tart impressed the judges last week. But his efforts this week were less well received.

Tamal, who felt he had jinxed himself last week by saying he wanted the top spot, was much luckier on Wednesday. He was named star baker for the first time.

Mat said he was proud of having made it to the seventh week, having expected to go out in week one. But, he said, he had felt out of his depth at times.

“I felt from the beginning that I was surrounded by better bakers, my knowledge was nowhere near their level. I had probably baked 20 different things in my life at that stage, and when I was talking to some of the other bakers – their breadth of knowledge was very daunting.

“I knew I was out of my depth in Victorian week with the techniques and the bakes involved. Some of the recipes we were given in advance but I never practised because I didn’t ever expect to get to week seven.”

Mat began baking because he was working four days on, four days off “and it was a way of filling your day”. He said he used to take his bakes in to work for his colleagues at the fire station.

“It was always good to feed 10 or 12 hungry blokes and the guys have given really good support, I was expecting a bit of ribbing but it hasn’t happened so far.

“Since Bake Off I have absolutely become a better baker, there are things that I would never have tried, for example the Spanische Windtorte, so it has made me a more confident baker.”

He described himself as a secret baker, saying that some of his family only knew he was into it when they saw him on the show.

He said: “I shall be proudly watching my fellow bakers complete the series with a cold beer and a smile on my face, knowing I am not in the tent. Every bit of the show was such a brilliant experience, working with the crew, meeting Mel and Sue and getting great comments from Mary and Paul’s judging was exciting and unexpected. It’s like getting a good report at school, and I felt I might try harder next time.

“I am a pretty happy go lucky bloke, and I had nothing to take from the show, I just entered for a laugh but then once you get into it you imagine you are half decent. I never took myself too seriously as you then lose the fun of it. I always reminded myself that I am on a programme that people love to watch, and if you are not enjoying it then go home.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39September 17, 2015 7:30 PM

I love the things I learn on this show - a lot of the items sound so exotic like frangipane, bavarois, madeira cake, hot water crust, etc. I had to look up vol-en-vents last week; I had never heard this word before but I recognized the pastry item when I saw it.

I also love Masterchef Australia for the reasons the other commenter stated. Civility and inventiveness to the extreme. The only downside is twitchy George Columbaris and his annoying catch phrase "boom boom, shake the room".

by Anonymousreply 40September 17, 2015 7:56 PM

[quote] Being a dumb American, I wondered how (grape) jelly paired with meat. Ian(?) made a side dish of tan goo with his pie. Is that still served in modern times in England - savory pie with a side dish of savory gelatine?

Language is a bit of a problem here. Jelly in the UK refers to what Americans call Jello as a dessert or, in this case, the aspic that accompanies traditional meat pies. It is nothing like grape jelly in the US, which is something of a thin, watery sieved jam.

Tamal's surname is Ray, which suggests a Hindu or a Xian, not a Muslim.

by Anonymousreply 41September 17, 2015 8:19 PM

I liked Jo Brand's bit about the most menacing offer of help ever seen on the Bake Off, it was Warden Paul to, I think, Alvin. That stare was deadly but he meant well.

It was nice to see Tamal win after he did so well in the game pie challenge and then said, "Well we know where this goes, don't we?"

That Tennis Cake was weird but I love a good Charlotte Russe. I want Nadiya's teacher's Italian meringue bavoir recipe. That went over very well with Paul and Mary.

by Anonymousreply 42September 18, 2015 12:11 AM

The Jo Brand Warden Paul stare bit was either last week or the week before. I haven't seen this week's Extra Slice yet.

by Anonymousreply 43September 18, 2015 12:12 AM

I thought the tennis cake was silly. It was just a fruit cake with those tennis courts on top, and they were loose as well, so not even really part of the cake. You could put anything on top a fruit cake and call it a whatever cake.

by Anonymousreply 44September 18, 2015 10:18 AM

Yay Nadiya again for Star Baker!!!

by Anonymousreply 45September 23, 2015 8:20 PM

Why does Nadiya always have that wide eyed terrified like "I am about to be duct taped and thrown into a pool and drowned for an honor killing" look? She gives this look like the kitchen is run under Sharia Law. Full face fucking close ups like she is about to be murdered. I have gotten so used to seeing them that I bust out laughing. Who knows, maybe Mr. Hollywood is holding a relative of hers captive?

by Anonymousreply 46September 25, 2015 4:42 AM

I love her facial expressions. She's completely adorable, to be honest (I cracked up when she said she was prepared to streak down the river this week). I will say it - her face when Paul was trying to fill his creamy horn - don't ask!! - was EPIC.

by Anonymousreply 47September 25, 2015 5:18 AM

Again, she always looks like she's about to be tasered.

by Anonymousreply 48September 25, 2015 7:16 AM

R46, I've had the same thoughts. She always scrunches up her nose like she's anticipating a slap. However, she's got more variety of expression than Flora's omnipresent chewing-of-lip.

by Anonymousreply 49September 25, 2015 9:53 AM

Tamal is kind, cute, bakes, and he's training to be anaesthetist. There must be something wrong with him, no one is that perfect.

by Anonymousreply 50September 25, 2015 10:14 AM

R50, you forgot funny. His comment about the judges being lions hungry for bakers cracked me up.

by Anonymousreply 51September 25, 2015 11:14 AM

I wish someone would smack Flora for that lip-chewing shit. Fuck off back to Perth, you wannabe-frau. Twat.

by Anonymousreply 52September 25, 2015 5:17 PM

[quote] Tamal is kind, cute, bakes, and he's training to be anaesthetist. There must be something wrong with him, no one is that perfect.

He's also gay! He just came out.

by Anonymousreply 53September 29, 2015 7:32 AM

Oh my! Tamal just got even more perfect, lol

by Anonymousreply 54September 29, 2015 7:44 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55September 29, 2015 10:38 AM

Well, I'd definitely bang him until he squirts his creme patissiere.

by Anonymousreply 56September 29, 2015 7:09 PM

Yesssss!

by Anonymousreply 57September 29, 2015 7:12 PM

A real life Koothrappali!

by Anonymousreply 58September 29, 2015 7:14 PM

Ruby and Sue and Tamal. Is this the gayest Brit series or what?

And Hollywood looks like he'd raise the ankles...

by Anonymousreply 59September 29, 2015 11:55 PM

Mary Berry's milking this to the full.

Sainsbury's is full of Mary Berry Kitchenware.

& let's not forget all her stuff like salad dressings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60September 30, 2015 12:42 AM

I say good on Mary Berry. She's a bit of a gem (yes, met her before Bake Off and she's absolutely lovely) I think she deserves it.

by Anonymousreply 61September 30, 2015 7:59 AM

Thank Christ that lip-chewer Flora's naffed off back up to Perth. Shame that Ian survived. Tamal lives to serve up another slice of hotness for another day (just bend over more when you're getting stuff out of the oven, will you?) and yay Nadiya! Bet the Daily Wail's getting their shitty Spanx in a twist...

by Anonymousreply 62September 30, 2015 8:10 PM

[quote]Thank Christ that lip-chewer Flora's naffed off back up to Perth.

I take it that that means that Flora was voted out of the kitchen this week?

by Anonymousreply 63September 30, 2015 9:07 PM

I didn't mind her or her lip chewing but she was a bit of a chancer. Don't really mind who wins but Nadiya lost points for me this week after her flop souffle. Can't abide weepers. Stiff upper lip, woman!

by Anonymousreply 64September 30, 2015 11:27 PM

Is dentistry banned in England? Worst teeth in the world.

by Anonymousreply 65September 30, 2015 11:36 PM

I liked Flora. She's somebody you'd like to have in your circle of friends.

by Anonymousreply 66October 1, 2015 1:22 PM

Circle of friends? What is this, a Maeve Binchy novel? She chewed her lip and was obsessed with style over substance. Get rid of her!

by Anonymousreply 67October 1, 2015 5:51 PM

So Tamal is single

by Anonymousreply 68October 1, 2015 9:03 PM

I love Nadiya and hope she wins - she's hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 69October 1, 2015 11:40 PM

I agree with R61. R60, unless I can order that shit online, I'm bringing some Mary Berry baking gear home in my luggage this year. I worship her and her tea cakes. Tasteful friends, Mary's an excellent example of how a woman of a certain age (70's) can put herself together appropriately without having one foot in the grave. It's not always exactly what I would buy for my Grandma but it's still a good look.

I didn't hate Flora but I'm not sorry to see the back of her. She was always saying "Sorry" in that pathetic way after she'd massively fucked up. They kept telling her to concentrate on the bake not the embellishment but she just would not listen. I suppose I wasn't much different at 19 but still, she was annoying.

Lovely Tamal, Sweet Nadiya and Absentminded Professor Ian are a good trio for the finals.

They were far too tough on poor Ian this week. He built them a working well made out of chocolate that was full of liquid chocolate and it worked, for fuck's sake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70October 2, 2015 3:53 AM

Poor Mary Berry always bites into something from the side of her mouth as if her choppers are unable to use the front teeth. I love it when she goes in for a chomp with the canines and ends up saying something like "it has a lovely crunch" or "what a lovely crumb". She would probably say that porridge has a lovely crumb.

And Hollywood has just a bit too much of himself. I cant wait till we get to the "master classes" and see what they whip up (without a time limit, the dodgy blaggers.)

by Anonymousreply 71October 2, 2015 5:18 AM

R71 - Bake Off's not like Masterchef (thank god) in that there's no "master classes". Probably the reason why GBBO is so well loved. The point about Bake Off is that it's about amateur bakers, not trained professionals.

by Anonymousreply 72October 2, 2015 7:10 AM

Then what are all these Master Classes from The Great British Bake Off r72 (Season 6 hasn't ended)?:

Season 2

The Great British Bake Off Season 2 Episode 9 – Masterclass

The Great British Bake Off Season 2 Episode 10 – Masterclass (2)

The Great British Bake Off Season 2 Episode 11 – Masterclass (3)

Season 3

The Great British Bake Off Season 3 Episode 11 – Masterclass

The Great British Bake Off Season 3 Episode 12 – The Great British Bake Off Revisited

The Great British Bake Off Season 3 Episode 13 – Masterclass (2)

The Great British Bake Off Season 3 Episode 14 – Masterclass (3)

The Great British Bake Off Season 3 Episode 15 – Christmas Masterclass

Season 4

The Great British Bake Off Season 4 Episode 11 – Masterclass - 1

The Great British Bake Off Season 4 Episode 12 – Masterclass - 2

The Great British Bake Off Season 4 Episode 13 – Masterclass - 3

The Great British Bake Off Season 4 Episode 14 – Masterclass - 4

Season 5

The Great British Bake Off Season 5 Episode 11 – Masterclass - 1

The Great British Bake Off Season 5 Episode 12 – Masterclass - 2

The Great British Bake Off Season 5 Episode 13 – Masterclass - 3

The Great British Bake Off Season 5 Episode 14 – Masterclass 4

by Anonymousreply 73October 2, 2015 7:33 AM

The Masterclasses feature only Paul and Mary. They normally do the technical challenges from the previous season. I remember one year Paul made an amazing feta and spinach roll thing which I tried and utterly failed at.

The Comic Relief spin-off is worth looking out for. The episode with Dame Edna still makes me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 74October 2, 2015 7:53 AM

R69, me too. "A Jekyll and Hyde moment"

by Anonymousreply 75October 2, 2015 9:41 AM

I've only just found this thread and am AGHAST that there is no speculation about poor angst-ridden Alvin's clear case of closet. The poor guy. Seriously, did no one else here think that he is as gay as a diamante dachshund? When he started talking about his father the general and gulping "Failure is not an option" with dead eyes, my heart broke a little for him.

by Anonymousreply 76October 2, 2015 10:19 AM

Who cares about Alvin when there is sweet, lovely Tamal.

I'm a lesbian who loves to bake and even I have a little crush on him.

by Anonymousreply 77October 2, 2015 10:35 AM

Well, I do, R77, obviously.

by Anonymousreply 78October 2, 2015 10:49 AM

Paul's death stare at Tamal and then talking about everyone's 'preferences' last week pretty much gave me a boner. I could've sworn that was flirting from Hollywood.

I didn't mind Flora. She's probably been one of the few teen girls in the show I've liked. To those who don't know GBBO has fairly strict typecasting rules and this year she filled the teen girl with wet pussy for Paul Hollywood spot. I probably liked her because she didn't flirt with Paul unlike most of the former teen girls who many times looked like they had pussy fluids running down their thighs every time they talked with him. Flora was already 19 so she wasn't a kid anymore as well.

Mat was the clumsy straight dude. A year or two ago we had a tall and lanky slightly ginger Irish(?) guy in that spot and man was he hot. He made me try find porn with tall gingers.

BTW I was suprised Sue making a joke about having a hot guy trapped in her basement few weeks back sinse she's pretty much been out forever. And more surprised to just now find out she revealed last month she's had a benign brain tumor for the last 8 years and can't have children because of it.

by Anonymousreply 79October 2, 2015 2:28 PM

[quote]The Comic Relief spin-off is worth looking out for. The episode with Dame Edna still makes me laugh.

74, Team Tamal, do you have links?

by Anonymousreply 80October 2, 2015 6:40 PM

It's just a clip but here's Dame Edna in the Comic Relief Bake Off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81October 3, 2015 12:06 AM

[quote] I've only just found this thread and am AGHAST that there is no speculation about poor angst-ridden Alvin's clear case of closet. The poor guy. Seriously, did no one else here think that he is as gay as a diamante dachshund? When he started talking about his father the general and gulping "Failure is not an option" with dead eyes, my heart broke a little for him.

I agree, that was one of the saddest things I've seen on Bake Off (and elsewhere). Poor Alvin, he's so tormented.

—Anonymous

reply 76

by Anonymousreply 82October 3, 2015 12:27 AM

What the fuck season was Alvin on, r76?

Plus the Lulu, Dame Edna, Edina and Pats episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83October 3, 2015 1:37 AM

R83, Alvin was the Filipino guy with wife and kids that was eliminated on week 6 this year. I just noticed from Wikipedia that he's a nurse.

by Anonymousreply 84October 3, 2015 7:31 AM

PS- it's a British show, ergo we don't "do" the whole concept of "seasons". Good grief.

*sips strong tea*

by Anonymousreply 85October 3, 2015 7:36 AM

Yes you do but you call them series, ya Brit git.

by Anonymousreply 86October 3, 2015 11:47 AM

Alvin was so...forgettable. Just like his vol-aux-vents.

by Anonymousreply 87October 3, 2015 11:52 AM

I love the fact that the final line-up of Guardian-Reader, Smiling Muslim and Gay Asian could have been invented to give the Daily Mail a heart attack.

by Anonymousreply 88October 3, 2015 2:23 PM

R88 - Me too!

by Anonymousreply 89October 3, 2015 2:25 PM

R88 - it makes me feel moister than a Mary Berry gateaux!

by Anonymousreply 90October 3, 2015 4:20 PM

Not quite, R86. A season lasts for 272 shows involving a whole cast of writers whereas a series rarely exceeds six episodes from the pen of only one or two leading to the inevitable incredulous complaint from the US of "We wait a whole year for this and it's over before it has even got going. WTF??"

by Anonymousreply 91October 3, 2015 7:18 PM

Teen girls gushing over Paul Hollywood? Which version of the show have you been watching?! As far as I recall, the daily mail was the only rag that accused a contestant (Ruby) of that and she turned out to be gay....

by Anonymousreply 92October 4, 2015 2:02 AM

R92, it's not that hard to see the teen girl of the year blushing and and being flustered when talking with Paul. I don't remember each and every one of them, though, but there's certainly been some flirting between some of them and Hollywood. His recent messy love life might've make the production steer clear of it this year.

by Anonymousreply 93October 4, 2015 5:28 AM

this is a baking show! I like the early posts in this thread, we talk about the flours, cakes and fancy names then the cute lads got eliminated, you guys turned into a gossip rag, pathetic!

by Anonymousreply 94October 4, 2015 8:20 AM

R94, GBBO is a reality show that follows strict guide rules to make it what it is. If you watch the foreign versions you can see the same versions of contestants there as well. The clumsy blue collar straight guy, the house mom, the teen girl, older gay guys, younger gay guys. There is some variation but the end result is usually the same kind of group of different people.

GBBO also constantly has cheekiness and slightly dirty jokes with Paul Hollywood many times showing a vpl in his too tight jeans. The show has sexy elements in it and I can guarantee they are not accidental. Not sure about Hollywood's bulge, though.

by Anonymousreply 95October 4, 2015 8:37 AM

The Hollywood bulge is never accidental.

by Anonymousreply 96October 4, 2015 8:10 PM

In the US, Pillsbury owns the trademark on Bake-off. That is why the British show is renamed The Great British Kitchen Masturbation in the US for PBS. Fuck the innuendos of the soggy bottom, in America we shoot our cream right into your sticky buns. And fill them up right proper.

by Anonymousreply 97October 4, 2015 8:19 PM

[quote]Ruby and Sue and Tamal. Is this the gayest Brit series or what?

Two of the former winners of the GBBO were open homosexualists. What do you expect when baked cookies are there to be smelt?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98October 4, 2015 8:32 PM

I got blocked by that Thwaite prat. All because I questioned his ganache.

by Anonymousreply 99October 4, 2015 9:06 PM

[quote]I love the fact that the final line-up of Guardian-Reader, Smiling Muslim and Gay Asian could have been invented to give the Daily Mail a heart attack.

If only that would happen when the new season for the U.S. version comes around. A heavily accented gay Mexican, a university scholar, and a single mother who once relied on food stamps and got her primary health care though Planned Parenthood.

by Anonymousreply 100October 4, 2015 9:24 PM

R100, wasn't the US version cancelled? None of the foreign versions I've seen have captured the charm of the original British version. Sue, Mel, Mary and Paul together are dynamite. Contestants are just props.

by Anonymousreply 101October 4, 2015 9:31 PM

GBBO is peculiarly British. One thing that we seem to have in the UK series is the friendship-angle - there's none of the manufactured tension between contestants that you see on US imports.

by Anonymousreply 102October 4, 2015 9:36 PM

In the UK, nice people do finish first. That shit don't roll in the US.

by Anonymousreply 103October 4, 2015 9:40 PM

I don't know, r101, but it wouldn't surprise me. The Food Network already has a number of baking competition shows.

by Anonymousreply 104October 4, 2015 10:22 PM

R104, if I remember correctly Paul Hollywood was also hosting the US version but accidentally let his baguette slip into the hot oven of her co-host Marcela Valladolid. The show had bad ratings and on top of that Hollywood cheating his wife made the whole thing even worse. I doubt the show is ever coming back as an American version. No idea how long it will last in the GB either. Every year there seems to be articles asking aren't we bored with this yet.

by Anonymousreply 105October 5, 2015 8:25 AM

They had Jeff Foxworthy as the sole host of the US version. That's what killed it.

by Anonymousreply 106October 5, 2015 9:16 AM

r105 Clickbait articles asking if we're bored yet. Well, obviously not, as the ratings have increased each series.

by Anonymousreply 107October 5, 2015 7:21 PM

A scandal!

"The Great British Bake Off has been hit by a betting scandal ahead of the final - with allegations of “insider trading” from show workers that already know who wins.

A source at bookmakers Ladbrokes has revealed that they suspect a handful of people with links to the BBC show are responsible for a flood of Bake Off bets that forced them to the close the market on who would win the 2015 series.

There were 42 accounts opened in 48 hours all backing the same Bake Off winner."

by Anonymousreply 108October 6, 2015 11:20 AM

They're always asked to bake 12 identical whatever-it-ises. What happens to the other 10 after the judges taste them? Or maybe it's really only 8 leftover since Sue and Mel are always grabbing a taste.

by Anonymousreply 109October 6, 2015 4:07 PM

[quote]I got blocked by that Thwaite prat. All because I questioned his ganache.

I feel your pain. Nothing worse than a cook blocker.

by Anonymousreply 110October 6, 2015 8:53 PM

Enjoy the final! Go Tamal and Nadiya! Just hope Ian doesn't win.

by Anonymousreply 111October 7, 2015 7:08 PM

I'm guessing we're not doing spoilers?

by Anonymousreply 112October 7, 2015 8:19 PM

I'm so sad this means the end of the season, and we will have a whole year without TGBBO.

by Anonymousreply 113October 7, 2015 8:19 PM

R112 - Just check Google news if you wanna know who won.

IMO it was the right person.

by Anonymousreply 114October 7, 2015 8:21 PM

When Mary cried I cried.

by Anonymousreply 115October 7, 2015 8:22 PM

R155 - surely you mean when MARY! cried...

(I did too)

by Anonymousreply 116October 7, 2015 10:27 PM

This week was a retro of 2014.

by Anonymousreply 117October 8, 2015 12:03 AM

Aaaaaaaaaaaand, it's Nadiya. Loved her, hated her hajab.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118October 8, 2015 10:33 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119October 8, 2015 2:10 PM

Yeah, Nadiya's husband was rather delicious. Rawr. As for you, R118, take your racist arse somewhere else, sugar.

by Anonymousreply 120October 8, 2015 5:44 PM

Aww, such a cool final. Nadiya definitely deserved the win although I've had a soft spot for lovely Tamal all season. I like Ian too and sometimes I felt sorry for him. He lost his mojo after those first three wins and never got it back, really.

Nadiya's husband is hot, her kids are cute. Mary wiping her tears and tearing up herself was the show-stopper of the night.

by Anonymousreply 121October 8, 2015 5:58 PM

r120, I also hate seeing women wear crosses. I scorn all visible displays of religion. Not racist.

by Anonymousreply 122October 8, 2015 7:42 PM

Well get over yourself, R122. She can wear what she wants, people can wear crosses if they want, you can not wear any of it if you want. Nadiya's choice of headwear is her own business.

by Anonymousreply 123October 8, 2015 10:21 PM

They need to have a nun in a wimple.

by Anonymousreply 124October 9, 2015 4:38 PM

R123, she can wear what she wants and I can call it a visible symbol of the disgusting systematic repression of women by a barbaric religion if I want.

by Anonymousreply 125October 9, 2015 6:35 PM

Yes, you can, and she will continue to live a nice life in London.

by Anonymousreply 126October 9, 2015 6:37 PM

Here, here, r125!

Self loathing submissiveness.

by Anonymousreply 127October 9, 2015 6:44 PM

Nadiya appears to be a lovely person with a lovely family. I have no idea why you are belittling her like this. She is not living an oppressed, submissive life in Bangladesh, she's in England winning a television baking contest.

by Anonymousreply 128October 9, 2015 6:49 PM

I love it when people win on GBBO who have low self-esteem and thought they couldn't do much. They are always genuinely surprised by the praise and get teary when someone compliments their skills. Jo was the same.

by Anonymousreply 129October 9, 2015 6:56 PM

r129, you would have creamed yourself had Flora won.

by Anonymousreply 130October 9, 2015 9:29 PM

No, didn't like her really. She does know that she is good and is a bit spoiled. Not genuine enough

by Anonymousreply 131October 9, 2015 9:36 PM

Flora has also porked up quite a bit, judging from her appearance on "Extra Slice."

by Anonymousreply 132October 9, 2015 11:54 PM

Flora's sheepish, "Sorry" when she'd fuck up massively got old in a hurry. She stayed in too long.

by Anonymousreply 133October 10, 2015 12:06 AM

Nadiya seems like a very nice person and she looks good in her headgear. If she was a really strict Muslim shouldn't even shake hands with a man.

I'm not surprised about Tamal. Poor Alvin seems like a major closet case.

by Anonymousreply 134October 10, 2015 12:11 AM

They usually have at least one young woman who seems like she's going to have a nervous breakdown.

Unlike US reality shows, it appears that they don't get any felons, tax cheats, or people who've done porn.

by Anonymousreply 135October 10, 2015 12:14 AM

I did porn in postcard form before the War, does that count?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136October 10, 2015 12:24 AM

Aieeee! Diana! HIDE YOUR BAKED ALASKAS, BITCHES!!!

by Anonymousreply 137October 10, 2015 6:00 AM

Laurie Penny has a great summation over American v British attitudes about baking.

With Tamal and Naj, even in her submissive head gear, it is very reminiscent of the British Empire.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138October 10, 2015 6:20 PM

Great article, R138. Thanks for the link. And I agree with everything in it.

by Anonymousreply 139October 10, 2015 10:50 PM

r138, "submissive" headgear? There's nothing submissive about females covering to protect themselves from the male gaze. Paul the Perv didn't dare flirt with Nadiya the way he did with the other young female contestants. It was great to see him intimidated for once.

by Anonymousreply 140October 10, 2015 11:04 PM

That picture of Mary in R138's link is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 141October 10, 2015 11:22 PM

r140, Jewish women cover their hair, Moslem women cover their hair because MEN say that women EXPOSING their hair inflames men's desires. Religious modesty mandates force women to be submissive. This time it's submissive headgear. Religious hogwash. Flirting is not rape. Flirting is not inflamed passion. Is she allowed to drive?

Allya be praised that Naj did not offend Is-lame or she would have ended up duct-taped and flung into a pond, the honor of her husband intact. Who do that wudu that you do so well?

Mythologies are so last millennium.

by Anonymousreply 142October 10, 2015 11:33 PM

R142, it's true that women are not treated well in some cultures and the bee-keepers suit (as Bill Maher calls it) is part of their oppression. There is no excuse for it and no defending it.

If Nadiya were truly living that sort of submissive life, kept at home, not allowed to drive and so on, I doubt she would be appearing in Britain's most popular television program.

by Anonymousreply 143October 11, 2015 12:10 AM

r143, there's nothing wrong with a beekeepers suit, it protects the beekeeper from the bees, just like a hijab protects females from the predatory male gaze.

by Anonymousreply 144October 11, 2015 12:51 AM

It is just as repellent as a woman wearing a lace doily in church because of original sin.

The predatory male gaze is Is-lame for controlling women.

Fix the fucking males, why not.

by Anonymousreply 145October 11, 2015 1:08 AM

r145, your incessant use of the term "Is-lame" is reminiscent of Sarah Palin moaning about the "lamestream" media. You must be her gay obese basement-dwelling cousin.

by Anonymousreply 146October 11, 2015 1:17 AM

People who use terms like "Is-lame" don't actually give a fuck about women. They are, however, more than happy to use women in order to attack Muslims.

You're a bore, go away.

by Anonymousreply 147October 11, 2015 1:22 AM

[quote]People who use terms like "Is-lame" don't actually give a fuck about women.

No, just the opposite. And I used a X-tian reference and a Mosian reference. It's just anti religious women oppression. It is institutionalized patriarchal bullshit.

I am not a bore. I won't go away. Please block me so your jaded opinions are not offended.

And I have a multi storied home that is on-slab construction: no basement r146.

by Anonymousreply 148October 11, 2015 3:23 AM

r148, it's so telling that you didn't take offence at being called Sarah Palin's obese cousin, but you did take offence at being called a basement-dweller. You vulgar bourgeois KKKween.

by Anonymousreply 149October 11, 2015 4:02 AM

r149, I may be coarse, I may be bourgeois, I am overweight, I am an Elder Gay, I take no offense at a desperate Palin comparison, but I am a very liberal not very KKKween or the like.

Just against other peoples mythology paraded out for public consumption.

Religion belongs in the home, behind closed doors.

Go wash your feet.

by Anonymousreply 150October 11, 2015 4:22 AM

Nadia's got a taste for adventure and the wider world (she's said so), so I think the chances are good she'll ditch the garb at some point.

by Anonymousreply 151October 11, 2015 4:57 PM

R147 Get a life.

by Anonymousreply 152April 2, 2021 4:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!