Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Did Kristin Chenoweth and Adele Nazeem fight backstage during the making of "Wicked"?

I've never heard Nazeem address it, but Chenoweth had made some cryptic comments about it.

by Anonymousreply 35November 17, 2020 11:42 AM

The "making of"?? And it's Dazeem, not Nazeem!

by Anonymousreply 1August 5, 2015 2:39 AM

No, that was just Kristy trying to sing louder than me - and failing.

by Anonymousreply 2August 5, 2015 2:43 AM

Per a chorus boy I slept with: Menzel clashed a lot with the director and was difficult. He liked Chenowith

by Anonymousreply 3August 5, 2015 2:45 AM

r3: "He" the director, or "he" the chorus boy?

by Anonymousreply 4August 5, 2015 2:52 AM

He the chorus boy.

by Anonymousreply 5August 5, 2015 2:55 AM

I know Elephaba is the main character of the show, but I thought Cheonweth did more with her part and instead of just sing loudly. I think she showed a wider range in acting and singing, and could have seen her win the Tony.

by Anonymousreply 6August 5, 2015 4:11 AM

I always thought Menzel got the Tony more because people liked the part of Elphaba better than Galinda rather than because she was better than Chenoweth (Chenoweth was funnier and more moving). But I am still surprised both women were able to successfully convince people they were college students when they were pretty long in the tooth.

by Anonymousreply 7August 5, 2015 4:40 AM

Glinda isn't even a leading role. It's an overstuffed supporting role.

People just love Glinda because of Chenoweth. They wrote the part FOR her strengths. Every Glinda sounds JUST like Chenoweth.

by Anonymousreply 8August 8, 2015 1:48 AM

R7 I think it was more like Menzel got it over Chenoweth because Chenoweth had already won.

by Anonymousreply 9August 8, 2015 2:25 AM

I skimmed one of Chenowith's books in the hopes she'd address this. She did and managed to discuss it without revealing a damn thing. She tried to minimize the rumors and said something vague about strong women working together and then went off on some tangent and never finished addressing it. Way to go, Cheno. I suppose you could read the non-answer as an affirmation that there's no love lost there. The rest of the book was just as unenlightening.

by Anonymousreply 10August 8, 2015 3:41 AM

Menzel won the Tony that year because all the front runners (Donna Murphy and Tonya Pinkins, plus Chenowith) had won before. It was areally unpredictable year.).

by Anonymousreply 11August 8, 2015 5:18 AM

No . They actually got along quite well. And unlike most of you bitches, I know.

by Anonymousreply 12August 8, 2015 5:42 AM

Oh, just smell r12!

by Anonymousreply 13August 8, 2015 6:02 AM

I think Chenoweth addressed this on WWHL and said the rumors were false and that they got along.

There are video clips of Cheno and Idina from Idina's last performance and they seemed to genuinely get along during the adlibbed banter throughout that show.

by Anonymousreply 14August 8, 2015 7:28 AM

Glinda's part wasn't even as big in the book as it was in the musical.

Actually, the musical was really just the college years and then some.

by Anonymousreply 15August 8, 2015 9:13 AM

If they'd have nominated Kristin for Supporting rather than Lead, both she and Menzel would have walked away with Tonys.

by Anonymousreply 16August 8, 2015 9:36 AM

Did they fight backstage, never saw it, ever I was with the original production throughout the whole time Kristin and Idina worked together. They were no different then any two co-workers in any other type of job. Did they disagree at times, did they tire of each others company at times, did they argue about certain things (big and small), of course they did. But no more so than any of us in the company, I found both of them to two of the most professional, talented, kind and fun people I have ever worked with. In fact that whole production was probably the best I ever had in my career. Unlike La Cage or Spamalot.

by Anonymousreply 17August 8, 2015 10:23 AM

Ia always though Menzel won because she had to sing/belt Defying Gravity while being hoisted up on the hydraulic thing all covered in black fabric.

by Anonymousreply 18August 8, 2015 10:26 AM

Kristin's a midget, right?

by Anonymousreply 19August 8, 2015 11:52 AM

What exactly happened with Daniel Davis in La Cage?

Had Pinkins already destroyed her voice by the time Caroline, or Change transferred from the Public? That might explain her not winning. Lot's Wife alone should have won her the Tony.

by Anonymousreply 20August 8, 2015 12:14 PM

He was an ass to most of the company. We got along fine, but I kissed his, you Know because he was a "Big TV star" But he horrible to most of the crew. Huge sense of entitlement.

Too bad his attitude was so shitty, because when Robert Goulet took over it was a joke - wonderful guy, but way past his prime for live theater

by Anonymousreply 21August 8, 2015 12:52 PM

Having been around the companies of big production musicals, you find that the backstage drama is NOT happening as much as we would like or think. People who start that shit get dismissed fast.

by Anonymousreply 22August 8, 2015 5:05 PM

Kristin had a neck injury and missed a few shows. She came back too soon and did some of the shows with a neck brace the wardrobe crew spiffed up with Galinda fabric. This went on for a while and Menzel got a bit tired of the attention suck and words were exchanged before one show which led to a late curtain. That' it, but with all the attention on the show at the time and especially those two it was a big deal. Any other show and we'd never have heard about it.

Menzel won for being a workhorse in a demanding and sympathetic role and her publicists really pushed that angle. Cheno, Pinkins and especially Donna Murphy (Abruzzo was out of the mix) missed shows while Idina had spotless attendance and there were plenty of articles about it at the time. Menzel had BY FAR the weakest reviews of the four. Murphy won the Drama Desk, Outer Critics and the Drama League award.

by Anonymousreply 23August 8, 2015 5:47 PM

There's just one star in an Adele Nazeem musical, baby, and that's ME: Adele Nazeem!

by Anonymousreply 24August 8, 2015 5:50 PM

That was the most amazing time of my life. It was, being in that show. The highs and the lows of working on BROADWAY! Oh my gosh. And that adorable little Kristin Dawn, I mean now really, I just had to pinch myself every day when she'd come up behind me before my entrance and whisper "MERDE!" into my left ear. Never my right. Funny, huh? She was the consummate professional - always on time. Always prepared. Always with a card or a thought when someone in the company was going through a rough patch. Now don't get me wrong - Idina, or Ms. Menzel as I called her (always) was a true professional as well. Don't get me wrong. I would stand there in amazement when she would shout to the rafters to DEFY GRAVITY. A miracle before my eyes. And she did it in green body paint! Could you? No, I don't think you could. Anywhoo - those two ladies were nothing if not gracious towards one another. Always. Always supportive. Always there for one another. That was the most amazing time of my life. It was, being in that show.

by Anonymousreply 25August 8, 2015 5:58 PM

Too bad Idina could never actually sing Defying Gravity correctly.

by Anonymousreply 26August 9, 2015 2:28 AM

OK, I have my big boy pants on, so I'm ready for everything you guys are going to say, but.....

Maybe because it's Mother's Day, or maybe because I'm missing my partner ( he died two years ago), but I cannot think of a more beautiful, "pop" song from a modern musical, that sums up what love (any type), friendship (again, any type) is all about. And after all these years, these two still have what it takes to both sing and sell this song.

Happy Mother's Day everyone and baby, you will always be the one who changed me for good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 8, 2016 10:58 AM

Adele Dazeem always make me laugh!

by Anonymousreply 28May 8, 2016 11:38 AM

[quote]And that adorable little Kristin Dawn

It's KRISTI Dawn, not Kristin.

by Anonymousreply 29May 8, 2016 4:56 PM

We can, R27!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 8, 2016 10:30 PM

Kristi & Adele are besties. Doncha know. THey looooove each other. Both have those awful nasally baby voices. Match made in heaven.

by Anonymousreply 31May 15, 2016 11:46 PM

Chenoweth just seems difficult to me. She has an aura.

by Anonymousreply 32November 17, 2020 12:07 AM

Menzel wouldn't be where she is today if it weren't for me.

by Anonymousreply 33November 17, 2020 3:57 AM

Menzel’s loud intake of breaths is distracting.

by Anonymousreply 34November 17, 2020 4:06 AM

I'm sure they had little spats but I saw a bootleg recording of the last performance from one of them (can't remember if it was Kristen or Idina's last performance) when they sing For Good and they were in tears, I don't think it's true that they really didn't get on.

I still want to see a movie version and they should both be in it, somehow - obviously not as the original characters but there must be a way of getting them involved.

by Anonymousreply 35November 17, 2020 11:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!