Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

John Ford: was he gay?

I was recently surprised to read on DL a poster say that John Ford was gay and very deeply closeted. Was he so closeted that he became a celibate or did he have sexual/romantic relationships with men that we know about? I've never heard about any flings myself, though beyond the films I don't know much about him (and I don't know too much about the films, either).

He was certainly a queer cove: I know he was left-wing but most of his regular stars seem to have been right-wing loons (Ward Bond, John Wayne, Walter Brennan). Also, does his homosexuality come through anywhere in his films? I always felt Howard Hawks had more of a queer sensibility.

by Anonymousreply 46August 23, 2020 2:03 AM

He died in 1973. That we know.

by Anonymousreply 1August 3, 2015 10:37 AM

[quote]He died in 1973. That we know.

Indeed. Wikipedia is excellent for trivial facts like that. Anyway, back to his sexuality...

by Anonymousreply 2August 3, 2015 10:49 AM

Jeanne Cooper (Katherine Chancellor, The Young & the Restless) was in his 1953 film, "The Man From The Alamo".

by Anonymousreply 3August 3, 2015 11:35 AM

Queer cove? What does that mean?

by Anonymousreply 4August 3, 2015 12:06 PM

Maureen O'Hara outs Ford in her autobiogrpahy "Tis Herself."

He was married to the same woman for decades, but I heard through several sources that he would take a young man as a bedmate while on location. It was an open secret.

by Anonymousreply 5August 3, 2015 12:17 PM

R5, my dead grandmother never typed that old.

by Anonymousreply 6August 3, 2015 12:20 PM

I wouldn't have thought Maureen O'Hara was the type to out a closet case.

She certainly kept quiet about her friend John Wayne's secrets.

Speaking of O'Hara, she turns 95 on August 17th!

by Anonymousreply 7August 3, 2015 12:41 PM

r5 Many thanks! That's a book I must read. I just had a quick search along those lines and found a site summarizing the book. On Ford:

"She depicts him as a lying, posing, bullying creep, and that's before the director punches her in the face at a dinner party. O'Hara also thinks Ford was in the closet; at one point she catches him kissing a big-time (and unnamed) Hollywood actor. "

I wonder who the Hollywood actor was?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 3, 2015 12:47 PM

[quote]She certainly kept quiet about her friend John Wayne's secrets.

According to the above site's precis of the book, she remained a committed friend of Wayne's all his life, so that may explain why she doesn't spill anything on him; but she does out a few others, including Richard Boone and Peter Lawford.

by Anonymousreply 9August 3, 2015 12:56 PM

Katherine Hepburn's relationship with Ford (circa 1935-6), in almost every way was a precursor to her relationshp with Tracy (from the early 40s). Both were binge-drinking, Catholic, closet cases who never left their unglamorous wives, but needed being "mothered" by KH.

by Anonymousreply 10August 3, 2015 1:55 PM

Kate was not at all Catholic! Her grandfather (who performed her wedding ceremony) was an Episcopal priest.

by Anonymousreply 11August 3, 2015 4:54 PM

R11, R10 did not say that Hepburn was Catholic, but that Ford & Tracy were Catholics.

by Anonymousreply 12August 3, 2015 5:48 PM

Yes O'Hara did out him. He also loved to cast handsome men in his films like John Agar, Patrick Wayne, Jeffrey Hunter, and Harry Carey, Jr. And don't forget he had a long friendship with John Wayne well before he became a movie star. In fact Ford made him one. Many famous directors had some gay feelings. Howard Hawks, and Alfred Hitchcock always had a character in their films who was gay. It may not be a question of being in the closet but of being in power when inside you are very insecure. But as an Irish Catholic I can tell repression is a gift that come with communion. How can you not be repressed when the priests are repressed and looked up to for that very reason.

by Anonymousreply 13August 3, 2015 6:22 PM

Maureen O'Hara, Ward Bond, Robert Francis, Tyrone Power, Phil Carey, Donald Crisp, and Peter Graves in his most Irish-American of Irish-American films -- The Long Gray Line.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 4, 2015 5:31 AM

John Wayne was 100% all he-man!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 4, 2015 5:35 AM

Maureen O'Hara even appeared in front of a Congressional committee to speak in favor of honoring John Wayne.

by Anonymousreply 16August 4, 2015 5:46 AM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 4, 2015 1:46 PM

Dang, I'll try that again.

[quote]Howard Hawks, and Alfred Hitchcock always had a character in their films who was gay.

The gay British writer Peter Ackroyd recently published a biography of Hitchcock and this was touched on in a lot of the publicity for the book:

[quote]Something that surprised Ackroyd in his trawl through the films was Hitchcock's effeminacy. "I had no idea he was like that. You occasionally get little snatches of documentary film, in which he's behaving – not outrageously, but in a rather camp way. I think it was a component of his personality, but of course he was too scared and undemonstrative to allow it to take over." In the book, he says: "It would be an interesting parlour game to name any [of Hitchcock's] leading characters who were not intimated to be bisexual." Seriously? What, Richard Hannay in The 39 Steps? "Well, OK, not him," Ackroyd says, smiling. "But they all seem a bit… funny, don't they? Michael Redgrave in The Lady Vanishes? Cary Grant in North by Northwest? The two men in Strangers on a Train? They're all fey and unserious and camp. And he treated his heroines as more masculine than the men."

by Anonymousreply 18August 4, 2015 1:48 PM

Actually, Kate was an avowed atheist.

by Anonymousreply 19August 4, 2015 4:23 PM

There were rumors about him and that beautiful silent film actor George O'Brien.

by Anonymousreply 20September 9, 2015 5:17 PM

George with Spencer Tracy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 20, 2015 9:17 PM

r21 I saw a documentary about Spencer Tracy last month and they said that, early on, he and O'Brien were inseparable and would go to the theater together every week.

by Anonymousreply 22September 20, 2015 10:06 PM

Hitchcock being a repressed gay would explain a lot of things. Like how he liked to design the outfits his leading ladies wore.

by Anonymousreply 23September 20, 2015 10:27 PM

O'Brien was hot R22, I'd sit through a boring play just to sit next to him.

by Anonymousreply 24September 20, 2015 10:53 PM

[quote] Jeanne Cooper (Katherine Chancellor, The Young & the Restless) was in his 1953 film, "The Man From The Alamo".

R3, John Ford did not direct "The Man From The Alamo". It was directed by Budd Boetticher.

by Anonymousreply 25September 20, 2015 10:56 PM

Who cares about a guy no one has heard of, except someone that is due to die next week.

by Anonymousreply 26September 20, 2015 11:23 PM

[quote]Who cares about a guy no one has heard of, except someone that is due to die next week.

Yeah!!! What kind of person would care about stuff they haven't heard of???

by Anonymousreply 27September 21, 2015 7:11 AM

Richard Boone was a homosexual.

by Anonymousreply 28March 31, 2016 1:03 PM

[quote] Who cares about a guy no one has heard of, except someone that is due to die next week.

Damn, these Bernie haters find their way into every thread. But since you are here r26 we care about old people here especially those oldsters who at 74 are vital enough to run a cash raising scheme cleverly disguised as a Presidential Campaign

by Anonymousreply 29March 31, 2016 1:27 PM

So nice the 200 year olds have a thread. The REAL Golden Girls.

by Anonymousreply 30March 31, 2016 1:31 PM

Don't quit the day job, r29.

by Anonymousreply 31March 31, 2016 1:31 PM

Don't quit the day job, [R29].

Really? That is a job?

If r29 s day job is writing trenchantly funny things about that old coot Sanders who is snowing a whole generation into believing he is Santa Clause, I want that job.

by Anonymousreply 32March 31, 2016 1:37 PM

This thread has lots of fascinating tidbits strewn through many of its comments and links if one digs.

I'd love to hear more about Peter Lawford and Richard Boone in the Australian boys bordello.

by Anonymousreply 33March 31, 2016 1:38 PM

Peter Lawford was gay?

by Anonymousreply 34March 31, 2016 1:39 PM

Peter Lawford was a bottom, right?

by Anonymousreply 35March 31, 2016 1:42 PM

Peter Lawford was bi.

He said Nancy Reagan, when she was a young actress, gave the best head in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 36March 31, 2016 1:47 PM

[Don't quit the day job, [R29].

—I don't think humor is your thing

are you by chance the Dorothy Parker @r26 who wrote

[quote] Who cares about a guy no one has heard of, except someone that is due to die next week.

If so, forget about a day job honey, you would be fortunate enough to get any job

by Anonymousreply 37March 31, 2016 1:50 PM

When Peter Lawford was a young leading man at MGM in the late 1940s he was extraordinarily handsome and sexy. He must have been very lazy and unambitious, as well as not particularly talented, to have stalled so quickly. Or perhaps he didn't put out for the right producers and directors? His career as a movie star was essentially over before the 1950s got going.

by Anonymousreply 38March 31, 2016 11:17 PM

You need to post pictures. We eldergays have no idea who you're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 39August 22, 2020 10:00 PM

Was Michael Wilding bi or just gay? Elizabeth Taylor was truly fond of the gays, wasn't she?

by Anonymousreply 40August 22, 2020 10:07 PM

George O'Brien, mentioned above.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41August 22, 2020 10:15 PM

George O'Brien, mentioned above.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42August 22, 2020 10:15 PM

More George O'Brien.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43August 22, 2020 10:18 PM

More George O'Brien.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44August 22, 2020 10:18 PM

The guy who had access to the Howard Strickling files and used to post here claimed Peter Lawford had a fling with MGM hairstylist Sydney Guilaroff

by Anonymousreply 45August 22, 2020 10:27 PM

Nkopk

by Anonymousreply 46August 23, 2020 2:03 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!