Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What's the best hotel you've ever stayed at?

Either domestically (US), or internationally.

I want to take a Fall vacation with some friends, and I really would like to stay at some extraordinary hotel or resort.

I'm guessing that in the US, it would be in NY, LA, or Vegas.

Internationally, it would probably be in France, Spain, Italy, or maybe Indonesia or Thailand.

C'mon Datalounge travelers, you're my only hope!

by Anonymousreply 211November 27, 2020 8:33 PM

US: St Regis - Washington, DC International: Ritz Carlton - Tokyo

by Anonymousreply 1July 28, 2015 3:44 PM

I really don't care about hotels. So long as the room and linens are clean, bug free, big enough to maneuvered around, has a closet with hangers in it, a working shower, an ironing board, a hair dryer, a mini fridge and something in which to boil water, I'm good.

by Anonymousreply 2July 28, 2015 3:44 PM

Opening today OP!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 28, 2015 3:45 PM

The Splendido in Portofino

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 28, 2015 4:10 PM

It probably depends on what OP means by "best." If someone thinks the glitzy, gaudy hotels in Vegas could be "best," I wouldn't trust their opinion. The best hotels I've stayed at were in Austria, Switzerland, Colombia, and Australia.

by Anonymousreply 5July 28, 2015 4:14 PM

Yeah, I guess I should clarify, R5.

I mean a combination of service, location, amenities, cleanliness, and luxury.

by Anonymousreply 6July 28, 2015 4:21 PM

My favorite hotel in Australia was the Park Hyatt in Sydney. We had an amazing view.

by Anonymousreply 7July 28, 2015 4:22 PM

I've stayed at some very expensive hotels, but price isn't what makes a great hotel to me.

For example, in Italy: I stayed at the Villa d'Este on Como and it was very nice, but I much preferred my time at a far cheaper hotel in Ravello. In the latter hotel, it was so much less stuffy and I remember wonderful dinners with friends on the terrace overlooking the Sea.

by Anonymousreply 8July 28, 2015 4:25 PM

Let's see. In NYC the Warwick, Palace, Pierre. Hay Adams in D.C. Stanford court and Fairmont in SF

by Anonymousreply 9July 28, 2015 4:41 PM

Danieli in Venice and De Russie in Rome. And someone else paid for me 😎

by Anonymousreply 10July 28, 2015 4:50 PM

I've traveled abroad, but never stayed in nice hotels while doing so.

In the U.S., the best hotel where I've stayed was the Langham Chicago, which was spectacular.

by Anonymousreply 11July 28, 2015 4:56 PM

A bungalow at the Beverly Hills Hotel in 1985. A week of bliss and they lived up to their then reputation of providing whatever you wanted via room service. I requested a Grand Piano and it was delivered within an hour.

by Anonymousreply 12July 28, 2015 4:58 PM

Motel 6 on The Jersey Shore. You would not believe the fineness of their pastries. They would actually wait until you came down, to unwrap each one. Magnificent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 28, 2015 5:02 PM

I prefer the Hotel Bel-Air to the Beverly Hills Hotel.

by Anonymousreply 14July 28, 2015 5:04 PM

Has anyone ever stayed at The Beverly Hills Hotel, now under women-stoning Brunei ownership?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 28, 2015 5:05 PM

R12 Duh! I missed it! Sorry!

by Anonymousreply 16July 28, 2015 5:06 PM

The Arts Hotel Barcelona Awasi - Chile

by Anonymousreply 17July 28, 2015 5:15 PM

Check out hotels affiliated with Relais & Chateux - their member properties domestic and abroad are truly top-notch and have never disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 18July 28, 2015 5:18 PM

What's your budget? Need that info if this is really going to be hellpful for you. Otherwise you're just dreaming.

by Anonymousreply 19July 28, 2015 5:34 PM

I agree with R18. You simply cannot go wrong with any Relais et Chateaux affiliated hotel/resort. They are lux but not stuffy. I wish I could visit each one once before dying.

by Anonymousreply 20July 28, 2015 5:41 PM

The one between the 'a' and the 't'. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

by Anonymousreply 21July 28, 2015 5:44 PM

The best hotels in which I've stayed are by no means necessarily destination hotels, that being I didn't go to New York City just to stay at the Plaza nor Paris for the Hotel Crillon. Those are however the best ones in which I have stayed.

For destination vacations in which your trip is centered in & around the hotel, I would suggest the Four Seasons in Bora Bora for topnotch all 'round F-U-N and fulfillment; the hotel, the beaches & clear ocean water and likely some of the best food that I've ever had the pleasure of consuming. Then again, I still get a kick out of Disneyland so there you have it.

In regards to old school destination hotels, I truly enjoyed the Homestead & The Boars Head Inn both of which are in Virginia. Skytop in the Poconos is fun as is the Atlantis on Paradise Island.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 28, 2015 5:53 PM

The Traders in KL had the best breakfast ever!

by Anonymousreply 23July 28, 2015 6:38 PM

Try the Hotel Raphael in Paris. Then come back and report to us about it.

by Anonymousreply 24July 28, 2015 6:42 PM

Mandarin Oriental in NYC. Service is unmatched.

by Anonymousreply 25July 28, 2015 6:48 PM

Four Seasons George V - Paris

The impeccable service makes the large and imposing hotel seem warm and cozy.

by Anonymousreply 26July 28, 2015 6:52 PM

In the U.S.A.: The Four Seasons - Maui

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27July 28, 2015 6:54 PM

OP, from your "list" you'd probably be happy in anything north of a Days Inn.

by Anonymousreply 28July 28, 2015 6:55 PM

The OP never did provide what the budget was so everyone may be talking hotels way over that budget. This list on here is going to set you back some major bucks

by Anonymousreply 29July 28, 2015 6:57 PM

Holiday Inn

by Anonymousreply 30July 28, 2015 7:00 PM

The W in Barcelona....

by Anonymousreply 31July 28, 2015 7:03 PM

What do you want from a hotel? The nicest hotel I ever stayed at just for a pure getaway (where there's a spa and you don't need to really leave the grounds) was the ritz carlton key biscayne.

Since you mentioned Italy, I stayed at the St. Regis Florence. Two things I asked for (1) a regular queen or king bed...not two twins pushed together. (2) courtyard view...not a room facing the street.

I got a room facing the street with two twins pushed together. I told them the problem & showed them the email where it was confirmed (not "depending on availability") - and they said "yes, you did have that room confirmed, but we don't have it now" ..I thought I was in the Seinfeld episode where he reserved a car & the woman just said "no - sorry we gave your car to someone else"

The hotel is pretty though...but the service had a lot of issues (not just that either).

by Anonymousreply 32July 28, 2015 7:03 PM

Emil Zunt's Hidden Honeymoon Hideaway in the Poconos. Where every cottage is April in Paris.... And every bathroom Calcutta in July.

by Anonymousreply 33July 28, 2015 7:13 PM

La Mirage outside of Denver.

You can tell how swank it is because people are constantly milling about the lobby in tennis whites, and their lounge act is the internationally renowned chanteuse Dominique Devereaux. Classy all the way!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 28, 2015 7:16 PM

Four Seasons, Bora Bora

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35July 28, 2015 7:18 PM

It's hard to go wrong with a Four Seasons virtually anywhere. They do a great job of maintaining standards across the portfolio.

by Anonymousreply 36July 28, 2015 7:20 PM

The Four Season in Bali, both of them. They have one at Jimbaran Bay on the beach and one in the rice paddies at Sayan. You get your own villa with private plunge pool.

Also loved the Mandarin Oriental at Chang Mai Thailand. I had my own huge private villa with pool. The food was divine.

Love the Park Hyatt at Vendome Palace in Paris. It's next to the Ritz. Gorgeous modern architecture and design. Fantastic breakfasts, too.

by Anonymousreply 37July 28, 2015 7:28 PM

I've had friends who stayed at the Four Seasons in Bora Bora. While they enjoyed the hotel, they all said that Bora Bora was beautiful but extremely dull. It's strictly a honeymoon destination, meaning the only things to do are fuck and lay around by the water. No entertainment options on the island, and the only shopping is for overpriced black pearls. They said they'd never go back.

by Anonymousreply 38July 28, 2015 7:32 PM

I've herd the same about Bora Bora. It's not really a "friends" destination. It's where you go to screw your brains out a lot with a great view. Otherwise there really isn't much to do

by Anonymousreply 39July 28, 2015 7:34 PM

I stayed at the Hotel Bora Bora. It was heaven.

by Anonymousreply 40July 28, 2015 7:35 PM

r34, I remember hearing about a terrible fire there in the 1980s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41July 28, 2015 7:37 PM

My boss & I always indulge our erotic lifestyle at the White Gables Motel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42July 28, 2015 7:39 PM

I'm sure they have that all cleaned up now in 30 years since

by Anonymousreply 43July 28, 2015 7:40 PM

Have any of you stayed on Capri, or any fabulous hotel along the Amalfi coast? That's going to be my next big vacation.

by Anonymousreply 44July 28, 2015 7:41 PM

I've always found the rooms at the Chelsea Hotel to be killer...

by Anonymousreply 45July 28, 2015 7:41 PM

The Westward Ho, Montana.

by Anonymousreply 46July 28, 2015 7:44 PM

R44, I spent a week in Capri. I rented a house through Parker Villas. I also spent a week in Ischia which I actually think was better and less crowded than Capri.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47July 28, 2015 7:45 PM

The Waldorf Astoria in the 80's, when it was still beautiful. I was working at the time for Platt Music, who were associated with Bloomingdale's. I worked at the Bloomie's in Willow Grove Park. One day the corporate head of Platt said that they were closing down the music/electronics department, and they would have a fire sale. And we could get 30% commision on everything we sold, plus a thousand dollar bonus. Well to this young teenager, that was a lot of money. I worked my ass so hard that I ended up with around 3 grand, plus the bonus. So I took a good friend (he was gay and a fuck buddy from time to time) and we went to Manhattan for a weekend. It was a blast, being treated like royalty by the hotel help, who we got along with so well because once they discovered we weren't spoiled little rich boys, they really liked us. Ate at Greenwich Village, ate at the Cock and Bull at the hotel(wonder if it's still there), wore our best clothes(working at Bloomies, I had a nice discount, and had some sharp suits, ties and shoes), went shopping at all the nice stores, and had a ball. And, when it was all over, I had still had a job in another department at Bloomie's. Great, great time and memories.

by Anonymousreply 48July 28, 2015 7:51 PM

The Waldorf's days are long past now. Great location but the hotel has seen its better days. Suppose to be investing a lot of money in it to renovate it but i'm not sure that's happening yet. It's a tourist trap now because of it's famous name.

by Anonymousreply 49July 28, 2015 7:58 PM

Actually, I may be remembering the name of the restaurant at the Waldorf incorrectly. I just remember that it was named after two types of animals. Maybe I have cock on the brain, because that name really doesn't sound correct. Well, whatever it was called, it was really nice, with wonderful service.

by Anonymousreply 50July 28, 2015 7:58 PM

I believe it, R49. Over the past few years, I've looked at reviews for the place, wondering if it would be worth staying there one more night for old times sakes. But it sounds like it's really gone down the tubes, and at those nose bleed prices, forget it.

by Anonymousreply 51July 28, 2015 8:02 PM

Cock and Bear..lol.. it's the Bull and Bear and it's still there as far as i know. I was there last about 5 years ago for drinks and it had definitely gone down hill.

by Anonymousreply 52July 28, 2015 8:12 PM

Ha ha, thanks for the info, R52. I knew I was close. A shame it's not what it used to be.

by Anonymousreply 53July 28, 2015 8:14 PM

I can't afford many of these hotels (sadly). My best would be Dwarika's Hotel in Kathmandu. I love those old hotels with a lot of character and history. I'm glad it survived the earthquake.

by Anonymousreply 54July 28, 2015 8:42 PM

La Mamounia in Marrakech. Winston Churchill lived there for a winter in the 1930's . He painted some beautiful watercolors while staying there - the hotel has immense grounds with beautiful gardens. Roosevelt joined him there in the late 30's. Fountains full of fragrant roses.....eexquisite.

by Anonymousreply 55July 28, 2015 8:57 PM

Morgan's NYC. Saw a few celebrities in the few times I've stayed there. My partner sprung for a suite. It was a lovely weekend even though we only live and hour and a half away...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56July 28, 2015 10:09 PM

Last time I went to London I stayed at 51 Buckingham Gate and could not have been happier.

by Anonymousreply 57July 28, 2015 10:54 PM

I enjoy the upscale boutique hotels over the big impersonal chain hotels. The Kimpton Hotels are some of the nicest and best experiences I've ever had, especially for personal service and if you travel with a pet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58July 29, 2015 2:12 AM

Kimptons aren't' bad but not in the fabulous category folks are going on around here ( without of course ever getting the actual budget from the OP). Upper middle tier of hotels. But R58 absolutely correct they are great with pets. We were in a transition move between condos in chicago a couple of years ago and we had to wait a couple of unexpected weeks between the move for the new one to finish updating. Dogs after a week just assumed we were home at the hotel and didn't like the new place for a good month since there wasn't doggie room service for them. They spoiled those two rotten. We on a long walk still visit the place so they can get there treats.

by Anonymousreply 59July 29, 2015 2:24 AM

I agree with R37 about the Mandarin Chiang Mai and the Four Seasons Sayan in Bali. Truly magnificent in every way.

If you're heading to Thailand, the Oriental Bangkok is wonderful. We had a bi-level suite in the Garden Wing that made me want to sell the apartment and move in (photo below).

I agree that the Four Seasons are uniformly excellent, but the rice queen in me prefers the overall ambiance of Mandarin Oriental properties.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60July 29, 2015 2:35 AM

I'd have to say the Hyatt in Yogyakarta but the villa in Bali was even better but that's not a hotel. The villa had a full staff and driver at our disposal. Breakfast ready in the morning, lunch if wanted and dinner. You picked what you wanted and they cooked and cleaned. Drinks brought out by the pool. I'd love to be rich and live like that every day.

Sigh......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61July 29, 2015 2:35 AM

We ate lunch at this hotel but it's beyond my price range even with a "citizen" discount the relative had. I got to see the rooms though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62July 29, 2015 2:53 AM

Grand Hotel Dino, Lago Maggiore Bavena Italy Italian Alps, a plain exterior contains a truly beautiful old Europe interior. Frescos on ceilings, rooms with patios overlook the spectacular lake and Aips. The wait staff men wear these very perfect green vests, all so lovely and polished. Flew in from the deserts of Dubai, UGH. The reward was spending the evening on the Dino Dining Room patio drinking wine, eating pizza and listening to sounds of French, English and German tourists. Under a full moon and overlooking the Lake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63July 29, 2015 3:07 AM

The Oriental in Bangkok. The InterContinental in LA was great in the 90s--now it's something else. Ritz Carlton in Hong Kong. Metropole in Hanoi.

by Anonymousreply 64July 29, 2015 3:33 AM

The Royal Hawaiian in Honolulu....and the rooms in the old hotel. The rooms aren't outstanding, the bathrooms are functional but not awesome, the restaurants aren't incredible, the amenities aren't jaw dropping....but there's just something about this hotel. It's casual yet elegant, there's no walls in the lobby and this lets the trade winds blow through, the tiled floor is carved lava and limestone, the doors and stairway are koa wood, the place is flooded with natural light. I love its location on the ocean in the middle of everything. I love its pinkness and old world feel and its slight fraying around the edges. It's like a dowager in her dotage wearing her good natural pearls everywhere. By way of comparison, The Venetian in Las Vegas has much more beautiful (and spacious) rooms, glorious bathrooms, marbled lobbies, etc., but it lacks the grace and charm of The Royal Hawaiian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65July 29, 2015 4:09 AM

I love the Royal Hawaiian too. You described it perfectly. There are some things better than fabulous marble bathrooms...and the pre-WW2 ambiance of the Pink Palace appeals to the romantic in me.

by Anonymousreply 66July 29, 2015 4:20 AM

Sorry RHH is the last place you'd send someone for a good hotel in Hawaii. Youre punking someone right?

by Anonymousreply 67July 29, 2015 4:22 AM

Motel Seven.

by Anonymousreply 68July 29, 2015 4:48 AM

You bitches have some expensive taste! I love it.

[quote] Danieli in Venice

Ha. Isn't that the one from the movie "Only You" with Marisa Tomei and Robert Downey, jr.? Nice hotel.

[quote] Four Seasons George V - Paris

Is this the one that Julia Roberts filmed in the movie "Pret-a-Porter?"

I'm looking up a lot of hotels, and they look fabulous.

If I ever take a dream vacation, I'm heading to your recommendations.

by Anonymousreply 69July 29, 2015 5:26 PM

"If I ever take a dream vacation," means you can't afford any of these places . Enjoy the pictures.

by Anonymousreply 70July 29, 2015 8:29 PM

Someone mentioned the Four Seasons in Maui. I honestly thought it was a bit shabby. The Fairmont next door has been completely renovated and is nicer.

by Anonymousreply 71July 29, 2015 8:39 PM

You are right R71. Most disappointing Four Seasons i've stayed in of probably 15 now. Normally it's always a good safe choice..not so much in this case. They ended up comping my 4th night after i spoke to might corporate rep about the place ( and something free wasn't my goal). This is a hotel i won't be going back to. Coproate kinda knows it's not one of their good properties. Apparently there is a long list of complaints about it

by Anonymousreply 72July 29, 2015 8:54 PM

I stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Half Moon Bay. It was divine.

Ask for a room with the patio on the first floor. You wake up and have coffee (or, before bed, wine) with the Pacific Ocean a few hundred feet away.

by Anonymousreply 73July 29, 2015 8:57 PM

[quote] If I ever take a dream vacation, I'm heading to your recommendations.

Don't let our bragging and name-dropping stop you from traveling, just because you can't stay at the Mandarin or the Four Seasons.

As pointed out upthread, large corporate-run hotels can be somewhat impersonal. I've stayed at a bunch of Ritz-Carltons and Park Hyatts because I traveled a lot for business and racked up Marriott and Hyatt points. All you see are other Americans, and rarely do you meet any locals.

But I'd never let the lack of ability to stay in a 5-star property keep me from exploring the world. On the contrary, now that the points are gone, i'm looking forward to a trip to Quebec where I'll be staying in a little gay B&B for about CN$100 a night.

by Anonymousreply 74July 29, 2015 9:19 PM

I agree with R74. Finding a little out of the way gem is often as good as finding a deluxe hotel.

I love East Canyon Hotel and Spa in Palm Springs. It's a quiet place, nice simple rooms, and no service per se (housekeeping, yes, but no kitchen on site - they serve snacks throughout the day). But it is SO nice and comfortable, and elegant poolside setting....like staying at your friend's very nice 27 room cabana. LOL

I'll take that over any of the four or five star hotels in the area any day.

by Anonymousreply 75July 29, 2015 9:34 PM

r49, a Chinese company bought the Waldorf so who knows what they are going to do to it.

In the 90s, when companies spent money on such things, I had a job where I traveled all over the world and stayed in 5 star hotels. But my absolute favorite was the Hotel Arts - a Ritz Carlton property in Barcelona. I had a suite on the Club floor that was so much nicer than my apartment. The steam/multi-jetted shower was the best I ever had in my life. The food was incredible (Michelin star) and the service was impeccable -- and invisible. I spent five days there and could have lived there. Without a doubt that hotel is what I most remember about Barcelona. I've stayed in Ritz Carlton hotels all over the US and while they are lovely, this was hands down the best. I don't know if Europe has a higher level of service or that property just outdid itself.

by Anonymousreply 76July 29, 2015 9:35 PM

So true about Hotel Arts. Hubby and i stayed there this past winter on a recommendation from some friends. And i echo the thoughts about it being the best part of BCN. We ended enjoying the place so much we only spent half of each of the 4 days outside the hotel. It was extremely relaxing for both of us after our crazy schedules at home. And we had more sex in those 4 days than probably the last 4 months..lol. They even stock lube there we learned if you run out:)

by Anonymousreply 77July 29, 2015 9:42 PM

Hotel Villa Rocca in Costa Rica. We got lucky and they upgraded us to the best duplex. For $80/night we had a fully operating apartment. Huge terrace overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Two bathrooms, two bedrooms. Beautifully decorated. Heaven! The staff couldn't have been more kind.

by Anonymousreply 78July 29, 2015 9:44 PM

[quote] Someone mentioned the Four Seasons in Maui. I honestly thought it was a bit shabby.

[quote] You are right 71. Most disappointing Four Seasons i've stayed in of probably 15 now.

Interesting. I remember a thread on the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills from about three years ago, and the women stayed at the Four Seasons Lanai, Hawaii. And the commenters were saying how shabby that Four Seasons looked (for a Four Seasons hotel), as well.

Why does the company let their Hawaii properties fall into such disrepair? Are they just being cheap, or is it that staff who aren't maintaining the properties?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79July 30, 2015 12:38 AM

The Maui property is owned by an investment group that almost went broke on the hotel. Apparently they just haven't had the funds to invest in updating it. I am a bit surprised Four Season's hasn't pulled the franchise from them. But it's an investment group owned by Michael Dell so his contacts may have something to do with keeping it.

by Anonymousreply 80July 30, 2015 12:54 AM

The Hilton!

by Anonymousreply 81July 30, 2015 1:16 AM

The Covent Garden Hotel in London is a magnificent hotel.

by Anonymousreply 82July 30, 2015 1:30 AM

Hotel Cafe Royal London looked like a fabulous hotel on the Real Housewives of NYC. Very elegant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83July 30, 2015 1:38 AM

R8, what was name of that little hotel by the sea in Ravello?

by Anonymousreply 84July 30, 2015 1:40 AM

The Gritti Palace, Venice, corner room overlooking the main channel on two sides.

by Anonymousreply 85July 30, 2015 1:40 AM

Any of the Oberoi hotels that are throughout India.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86July 30, 2015 1:43 AM

R84 It was Villa Maria. The rooms were perfectly fine: small and clean. But the public spaces were lovely and the restaurant on the terrace overlooking the cliffs, lemon groves and sea was perfect. We had friends staying at Le Sirenuse hotel in Positano and after spending a day there, we were so glad we were where we were (even though Le Sirenuse is MUCH more expensive, it is very crowded and touristy). Ravello was very quiet at night, wonderful for walking around and talking and enjoying each other's company.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87July 30, 2015 1:53 AM

The Madonna Inn San LuisObispo Auberge du Soleil in Napa Bardessonno in Yountville Fattoria Tregole in Chianti Tuscany Greenbrier in West Virginia. Grand hotel in Saginaw Michigan

by Anonymousreply 88July 30, 2015 1:54 AM

[quote] Le Sirenuse hotel in Positano

Is that the hotel from the movie "Only You" with Marisa Tomei? I would love to know the name of that hotel.

by Anonymousreply 89July 30, 2015 2:05 AM

The Greenbrier in WV looks tacky Colonial and like they never wash the bedspreads.

Thanks, R8. I will check it out.

by Anonymousreply 90July 30, 2015 2:11 AM

Come and be my guest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91July 30, 2015 2:17 AM

Four Seasons Sayan?? You have got to be joking. Tiny concrete boxes. There are so many better places, starting right nearby with Taman Bebek. Then there's Royal Pita Maha, Como Shambhala (former Begawan Giri), Puri Wulandari... and that's just Sayan. (Excluding Amandari because I haven't seen the rooms there). Maya Ubud on the other side of town, Ubud Green just north of town, Alam Santi just south of it... This is just off the top of my head. No reason to stay in a chain hotel like the Four Seasons.

In Chiangmai, the Banthai Village, near the Night Mkt. Manathai Village was demolished last year. :(

by Anonymousreply 92July 30, 2015 3:22 AM

Oberoi? Colleague of mine got food poisoning at one in Delhi.

by Anonymousreply 93July 30, 2015 3:32 AM

Yeah, there's a lot of expensive taste here... but I only posted the two "best" for me - and I am not so sure what he's looking for. One of my best stays (random as hell) was in Boston at the Embassy Suites Cambridge...it's 1/2 the price of boston hotels, has gigantic rooms, and unbelievably comfortable beds. I had a shitload of work to get done there & that place made it so easy. (It is on the highway though, so most rooms are noisy). The people there were also very nice & they have a shuttle to cambridge because it's sort of in the middle of nowhere transportation-wise.

And I'm the one who hated the staff at the St. Regis in Florence (though the rooms and hotel were nice)...so... it just depends what you are in the market for.

As a little kid, my parents wouldn't take us on vacation unless they had saved up to go somewhere very nice - and I am basically the same way. I don't go away much (though work used to make me travel) - so if I do, I tend to save up for a while and then go somewhere really nice. That's partly why I get so annoyed when a place isn't what I expect - because it's not often that I'd use time that way or spend money like that.

I also really liked the Four seasons Chicago where I had a wedding... nothing special - but incredibly comfortable beds, quiet, nice bathrooms...central to everything on Michigan ave...etc.. I don't usually stay at the four seasons due to the price, but they were cheap that weekend.

by Anonymousreply 94July 30, 2015 3:35 AM

Post Ranch Inn when it first opened in an Ocean House.

by Anonymousreply 95July 30, 2015 3:44 AM

Big Sur's Post Ranch Inn for serenity...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96July 30, 2015 3:45 AM

The NoMad for NYC

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97July 30, 2015 3:46 AM

The Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills-Four Season in LA, CA and The St. Regis in NYC

by Anonymousreply 98July 30, 2015 4:32 AM

Park Hyatt ~ Paris Vendome

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99July 30, 2015 4:52 AM

Although the Hotel Villa Roca in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica is a good hotel R78, and the only truly gay owned, and catered to a gay male market, it's hardly 'special'. Sure you can swim in the infinity pool nude, but aside from that, it's just a bed with a noisy a/c. Nearly every hotel has beautiful gardens, and an view of the ocean. If you desire to support your gay business owners, then this is the place to book a room. There are some very special, and expensive hotels in Manuel Antonio, one with a pad to land your helicopter, if you arrive that way. There's a converted 727 airliner hotel. The Gaia Resort Hotel is a better recommendation for a truly memorable stay in Costa Rica. Stay away from Arenas del Mar - this is the hotel that was built on the nude gay beach, and they've claimed it as their 'private beach'. Thus, there's no longer a gay nude beach, and a huge drop in gay tourism to this area. It has had a huge effect on the economy of Manuel Antonio.

by Anonymousreply 100July 30, 2015 5:30 AM

For absolute perfection in terms of service and a pretty exotic urban location at a reasonable price, the Peninsula Bangkok is hard to beat. For all out luxury and exoticism never mind the price, the Amanjiwo near Borobudur in Eastern Java.

by Anonymousreply 101July 30, 2015 5:38 AM

For the fall/winter, I'd like to go somewhere luxurious, but rustic and cozy. Maybe in the mountains and/or some place very wooded Something that kind of evokes that Stetson holiday commercial from the early 90s. Any suggestions?

EDIT:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102July 30, 2015 6:01 AM

I hear good things about the Bates Motel.

by Anonymousreply 103July 30, 2015 6:13 AM

R102 When I read the words "rustic and luxurious" I immediately thought of the Salish Lodge in Snoqualmie Falls, Wa. It is in my top 5 of everywhere I've been in 30 years. I am a fool for the mountains, and this place is in a picturesque little hamlet just outside of SEA, so it's easily accessible. There are many hotels, inns and B&Bs with fireplaces and jacuzzis, but this one does it right. And the food in their romantic restaurant overlooking the falls is superb. Fabulous spa too.

by Anonymousreply 104July 30, 2015 11:07 AM

[quote] Four Seasons Sayan?? You have got to be joking. Tiny concrete boxes

Silly me, I thought it was beautiful. Guess I was wrong

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105July 30, 2015 11:31 AM

Several hotels on the lake in Geneva Switzerland, such as President Wilson or Hotel des Bergues, are tops for your criteria. But they are in the centre of Geneva which is pretty but not spectacular. Get up to the mountains or the seaside, or with some spectacular skyscraper views somewhere.

Try the Riffelalp Resort in Zermatt.

by Anonymousreply 106July 30, 2015 11:46 AM

I stayed in villa 21 at the Four Season Sayan. Loved it!

It's just above a small river and the rice paddies. I was butt naked by my pool one day and looked up to see a couple rice paddy workers taking a bath in the river. They didn't care and neither did I. It's all part of the Balinese experience.

by Anonymousreply 107July 30, 2015 3:16 PM

[quote] I immediately thought of the Salish Lodge in Snoqualmie Falls, Wa.

Isn't that where a rockslide hit, and wiped out a huge section of the town, and killed a lot of people?

by Anonymousreply 108July 30, 2015 3:40 PM

The Kahala Hotel back when it was owned by Mandarin Oriental.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109July 30, 2015 4:22 PM

[quote]For absolute perfection in terms of service and a pretty exotic urban location at a reasonable price, the Peninsula Bangkok is hard to beat. For all out luxury and exoticism never mind the price, the Amanjiwo near Borobudur in Eastern Java.

I'm jealous, bitch. I posted this hotel's link. I was staying nearby but had lunch at this place and the waiter took us to see one of the pool suites. Fabulous. Total serenity and luxury. Hate to be nosy but what did your room run?

by Anonymousreply 110July 30, 2015 4:29 PM

Hotel du Cap, Cap D'Antibes, in Capri Quisisana and it's quieter sibling Scalinatella

by Anonymousreply 111July 30, 2015 8:30 PM

I love escaping the hustle and bustle of my busy life being a starlet and spending a long weekend at Deetjens.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112July 30, 2015 8:35 PM

Built by J.J. Astor IV who drowned on Titanic's maiden voyage, the ST. REGIS is one New York's best hotels.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113July 30, 2015 8:41 PM

The St. Regis is the only Luxurious Hotel in NYC

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114July 31, 2015 3:40 AM

I was saving up starwood points for the longest time in my old job to stay there in NYC... I wanted to stay ONE night there - and it would basically take 6 months of points to do it . Ssadly, I never did. I was being so miserly, I decided not to blow it on the st regis, and then I took another job, rarely went on vacation, and starwood expired all my points! sad.

I really like this hotel called "The Kitano" in nyc. It's Japanese owned and has such a serene aura and great service. I am sure everyone has their favorite hotels in NYC but that one is so quiet and spacious (both are hard to find in that city -- they soundproofed the windows). It's in murray hill, but that's fine w/ me.

by Anonymousreply 115July 31, 2015 4:05 AM

I've stayed at the St. Regis. The rooms are nice, but too formal for modern NYC. I also thought the hotel was too stuffy. It's like being in Paris rather than NYC. There's no real lobby to sit in, but the King Cole bar with the iconic mural is nice.

by Anonymousreply 116July 31, 2015 4:06 AM

The Maison La Minervetta in Sorrento is divine, glorious views of the seaside below from its perch over the city

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117July 31, 2015 4:28 AM

Simple elegance at the Park Hyatt NYC for modern luxury but the hotel is a bit lacking in charm & personality but 1st class all around.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118July 31, 2015 6:09 AM

R117 were you in that room? wow - the views are insane!

by Anonymousreply 119July 31, 2015 7:48 AM

. . . Holiday Inn!

by Anonymousreply 120July 31, 2015 7:53 AM

The Oberoi in Giza with a view of the Great Pyramid from your bed.and the Oberoi in Agra with the beautiful servers in stunning costume. Spectacular.

by Anonymousreply 121July 31, 2015 10:48 AM

The Peninsula in Bangkok is very gaudy. The Oriental has much more class. The Millenium Hilton (across the river) has quiet cool.

by Anonymousreply 122August 1, 2015 12:27 PM

Park hyatt on 57th Street sucks in nyc it is noisy and all the rooms are on the lower floors with no view and are dark and run by a bunch of inexperienced millennials that know nothing about running a 5 * luxury hotel!

by Anonymousreply 123August 3, 2015 5:58 AM

Most of the chain hotels in NYC are not that great in midtown. The Grand Central Hyatt is even worse

by Anonymousreply 124August 3, 2015 6:02 AM

Maybe more a favorite than "best" by the usual standard, but the hotel that had the most lasting impression on me as a unique place was the Hotel Alfonso XIII in Seville. It's its own island of a sort in a dream-like city, and as much a trick of time as of place.

I'm fairly low-maintenance when it comes to service - for most people, the distinguishing factor between better and best.

At a luxury hotel, I expect good service that's quiet, competent, and anticipates a guest's needs; but fawning attention and ridiculous brand-name luxury "bling" don't do anything for me. I don't need a pillow concierge or a bath butler or a Swarovski -studded Bentley to filled with whores and champagne and strawberries to squire me about town.

What does matter is atmosphere, architecture, setting, great views, beautiful guest rooms and public spaces, a sense of considered attention to detail and of being some place that's unique, not just another generically well-appointed W Hotel landed in another city (like a Guggenheim Museum franchise).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125August 3, 2015 2:12 PM

St. Regis Princeville. Hah. Who'm I kidding. I never stayed there, I've just stayed in a few middle class splurge hotels like Hyatts and Stanford Court. To tell the truth, I prefer interesting unusual fun hotels like a castle on the Rhine that I stayed in as a teenager. It wasn't expensive, a run-down property bought by an opera singer to keep it out of the hands of the Hare Krishnas, but it was endlessly diverting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126August 3, 2015 5:13 PM

It looks charming, r126. I'd stay there!

by Anonymousreply 127August 3, 2015 9:12 PM

When vacationing in Saint-Tropez one absolutely must stay at the Château de la Messardière!

When in Paris I wouldn't dream of residing anywhere but Hôtel Plaza Athénée.

And when gorging on HUGE Black Thug-American cocks from Compton, CA one must stay at the quaint & positively charming Searle Motel on Long Beach Boulevard.

Hope this was helpful, OP!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128August 4, 2015 12:21 AM

NYC is lacking in the LUXURY Hotel market...they try but seriously no HOTEL compares to the Luxury Hotels around the world...I give the St. Regis in NYC the highest marks for getting Luxury right in all parts!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129August 4, 2015 1:59 AM

NYC isn't lacking in luxury hotels you just have to be willing to pay the price . Most just can't afford the really great ones in NYC since you can't do it realistically for less than 750 a night.

by Anonymousreply 130August 4, 2015 3:04 AM

Four Season, St Regis, Mandrian Oriental in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 131August 4, 2015 3:32 AM

I went to Toronto six years ago, and I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Airport. Mind you, this was the first time that I stayed in a hotel by myself (as opposed to being with family), and I've had very few hotel experiences to begin with (though my mom worked in housekeeping at the Hilton Union Square in San Francisco for a number of years), but I had a pleasant stay. The staff was very nice, and everything was clean and classy. I still have some souvenirs, including my receipt and the sleep CD. My one big problem was how to use that damn coffee machine. But at least there was a Coke machine down the hall.

by Anonymousreply 132August 4, 2015 3:56 AM

Four Seasons & Mandarin Oriental are in dire need of upgrades-reno and the service is not as polished as the St. Regis in NYC just saying as I have stayed at all of those! Four Season room #4512

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133August 4, 2015 4:32 AM

The Peninsula Beverly Hills luxurious and simply stunning~~

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134August 4, 2015 5:03 AM

R110 - It was about $400 dollars a night, and that was a few years ago. But it was an exceptional hotel in a very special area. I would love to go back. The Aman Group seem to be one of the very few hotel chains who never sell their rooms at anything but the rack rate, so no bargains to be had.

R122 - you have an off-beat view of what constitutes class. The Oriental must once have been a "grand hotel" in the colonial style, but now they milk the connection with Somerset Maugham et al. for all it's worth to a continuous and undiscerning flow of American and Chinese package tourists. The 'class' has moved across the river to the Peninsula, a proper hotel run in the grand manner - it is probably the most immaculately run hotel I have ever stayed at; even better than the Mandarin in Hong Kong, which is a legendary "classy" hotel.

I have never stayed in any hotel in New York, however trendy or upmarket, where I didn't have a view of the trash collection yard or some other dingy interior courtyard. Maybe it's my aftershave. No wonder I prefer living as an expat in Asia.

by Anonymousreply 135August 4, 2015 5:39 AM

Impossible choice. 1) The Broadmoor, Colorado Springs, CO; Loews, Quebec City, PQ; Metropolitan, Vancouver, BC; Park Hyatt, SF; Sheraton Clearwater Suites, Calgary, AB; Hotel 10, Montreal; Hotel GranVia, Kyoto Japan; The Ahwahnee Hotel, Yosemite for my 40th BDay, with broken arm, wine tasting menu, stuck in a blizzard; The former St. Moritz on The Park, NYC. Old hotel, tiny corner room, spectacular view, elegant, old-timey brunch. 2) That hotel with the rooftop infinity pool and cute boy massage service in Bangkok; a Best Western with heated pool in Winter on a clear night in Sedona, AZ; The Bellagio, Vegas (pools!); the Matamanoa Island Resort, Fiji, an $85/night hut with fan in Moorea, Charm Churee Villa, Koh Tao, Thailand; Turtle Cove Resort, Queensland; Hotel Capsis, Hania, Crete. 3) Almost any inexpensive gay-owned homestay or B&B I've stayed at around the world; a backpacking campsite at Snag Lake, Mt Lassen National Park; on my boat moored at Angel Island, SF Bay; any number of cheap, bathroom-down-the hall hotel rooms I stayed at in Paris with my partner, when we were young. Have stayed at hundreds of other places, but those were the best. The 1) list were paid for by my employer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136August 4, 2015 5:59 AM

Mandarin Oriental in Chiang Mai. A little piece of inland jungle heaven. My muscles never relaxed more. It's the Dhara Devi, now.

by Anonymousreply 137August 4, 2015 10:55 AM

$150 a night is usually my upper limit on a place to stay - I pretty much use them as a place to sleep. But at that budget, I'm effectively priced out of New York City. In cities like London and Paris you can find $150 a night places that are clean, functional and well-located, but there's nothing (that I know of) in New York in that price range.

If I ever come into money I'm definitely going to do a global tour of all the grand, colonial hotels of the world.

by Anonymousreply 138August 4, 2015 11:52 AM

The Park Hyatt in Saigon has just reopened after a renovation and looks very nice - I will be staying there for a couple of nights in January. I also loved the Datai on Langkawi island in Malaysia. That shit ain't cheap though - around £600/$900 a night.

by Anonymousreply 139August 4, 2015 1:17 PM

you're getting ripped off if you're paying 900 a night for the area. You need to do your homework to get in the place cheaper

by Anonymousreply 140August 4, 2015 1:44 PM

R140 I'm not getting ripped off, because I'm not paying that. I just saw that is the rate shown for the Datai for January when I searched on Kayak. When I actually stayed there a few years ago I paid about £350/$550.

But I would be interested to know what you consider "doing your homework" to mean.

by Anonymousreply 141August 4, 2015 2:11 PM

Doing your homework in this case for that type of market is you don't book online. You go through a local agent that get's you a third the rate you'd ever see online

by Anonymousreply 142August 4, 2015 2:13 PM

Yes, but booking offline with a local agent is not quite so practical if you live on the other side of the world and don't know who those local agents are. I like a bargain but there is also value in being able to book instantly online so you can get on with your life, even if you don't get the best price.

by Anonymousreply 143August 4, 2015 2:35 PM

cheswick hall in Monticello, VA

by Anonymousreply 144August 4, 2015 2:45 PM

R143 that's just called being lazy. It takes about 5 minutes to find a local agent If we taking 20 euro a night i understand the point. But here talking more like 200-300 ero a night savings. Going that far you're not just doing a single night stay so you're looking at saving 1000 er for a trp. I don't care how much money one has but the convenience factor vs that money is no brainer. The rates you find online in that area are all loaded into the GDSs and it's all the highest rates. I wouldn't be so proud of myself getting it for 550 when you could have paid 250 for the same room.

by Anonymousreply 145August 4, 2015 3:02 PM

R145, How do you find a local agent? Is there a website?

by Anonymousreply 146August 4, 2015 3:05 PM

Love it so much you spelled it wrong. KESWICK Hall

by Anonymousreply 147August 4, 2015 3:10 PM

R146 depends on where you live. If you in say a city such a london there will be tons of locally connected agents where you just drop buy the store front. In a less international city you can usually find them via a google search smartly. By smartly i mean don't just do a vague search of traveling to xx destination Be specific about the city etc. If you just do a general search you're just going to get those being marketed by the GDS. One trick in seach is to orient it that you're a local looking for a weekend stay. Another trick rather doing a search on the hotel search local agent in XX city. Takes a couple of minutes to find them vs 20 seconds but for say a 5 night stay it's worth the effort.

by Anonymousreply 148August 4, 2015 3:23 PM

Hotel Byblos St. Tropez

by Anonymousreply 149August 4, 2015 3:39 PM

Has anyone stayed at the Blantyre in Lenox, MA? I'm also a big R&C fan and wondered if this one is worth the price.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150August 4, 2015 3:52 PM

That would be tripadvisor territory not DL

by Anonymousreply 151August 4, 2015 3:55 PM

R150 It looks lovely, but I imagine it being filled with very old people.

That tasting menu with wine is $300 per person and everyone at the table must get it.

by Anonymousreply 152August 4, 2015 7:54 PM

[quote]Hotel Byblos St. Tropez

I had sex with the hotel manager when I stayed there. He upgraded me to a suite afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 153August 4, 2015 8:05 PM

My earliest memory unassisted by home movies or relatives, was of a nighttime visit to an amazing heated indoor outdoor pool at the Hilton Quebec that had a bridge and a fountain. I was two or three. .

by Anonymousreply 154August 4, 2015 8:44 PM

Working hard for your money R153

by Anonymousreply 155August 4, 2015 8:45 PM

R150 if you must do lenox that way go to the Wheatleigh.... I find both a bit overdecorated, and Blantyre can be twee and potted in a dated "curated lifestyle" decor. Do not eat dinner at Blantyre.

For western mass you are better off at mid-level bed and breakfasts, where you can both appreciate and laugh at the owner's mistakes and pretentions and aren't paying an arm and leg for the ordeal.

by Anonymousreply 156August 4, 2015 11:32 PM

What's the name of that over-water bungalow hotel in Bora Bora? I want to stay there.

by Anonymousreply 157August 5, 2015 12:18 AM

R157 The first one was the Hotel Bora Bora. I stayed there and it was beautiful. The hotel and food were perfection.

Since I stayed there, many big name hotels have been built there. I think all the high end ones have the bungalows over the water.

by Anonymousreply 158August 5, 2015 1:18 AM

Thanks, R158. How much did you spend on the trip and how long did you stay?

I heard that the cost of food is ridiculous in French Polynesia.

by Anonymousreply 159August 5, 2015 1:47 AM

R159 Here is a tip if you are going to French Polynesia: AVOID TAHITI. We had to land there, but were shocked at how disappointing it looked.

Bora Bora was a schlepp. Jet from LA. Plane to coral reef. Boat to town. Car to hotel. We were exhausted, but as soon as we got there we knew it was worth it. The hotel greeted us with drinks and our bungalow was strewn with tropical blooms.

It was very expensive. It was a stop on our way to Sydney, where we stayed at the Park Hyatt (beautiful). I think we stayed three nights on Bora Bora and two nights on Moorea (the beaches weren't as nice, but the mountains were beautiful). There was a French restaurant in an old tugboat on Moorea that was excellent.

by Anonymousreply 160August 5, 2015 2:02 AM

Why was Tahiti so awful, R160? What specific things disappointed you?

I really wanted to spend about a week there, because it's a bit more urban, the island is larger so there's more to see, and maybe visit a gay bar or two (I'm attracted to Tahitian men!)

Is there a significant problem with the place, or is it just shabby? I can deal with shabby, but I don't like places with high crime and drugs, etc.

by Anonymousreply 161August 5, 2015 2:07 AM

[quote] I've stayed at the St. Regis. The rooms are nice, but too formal for modern NYC. I also thought the hotel was too stuffy. It's like being in Paris rather than NYC.

You're obviously not alone in that observation. The St. Regis' presidential suite doubled for Miranda Priestly's Paris hotel, The Plaza Athenée, the in 'The Devil Wears Prada'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162August 5, 2015 2:09 AM

I would pass on French Polynesia and go to a beautiful resort on Maui or Kauai instead. It's easier to get to, just as pretty, less expensive, better restaurants, better shopping, and more things to do.

by Anonymousreply 163August 5, 2015 3:55 AM

For location alone, Cocoa Island in the Maldives.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164August 5, 2015 4:11 AM

Maldives always looks stunning, but I would feel uncomfortable going there with another guy when all the other couples would be hetero.

by Anonymousreply 165August 5, 2015 4:14 AM

That picture at 164 freaks me out!

The thought of a tidal wave or huge waves wiping out those little bungalows is terrifying. There's no where to run!

by Anonymousreply 166August 5, 2015 4:21 AM

I wouldn't relax in a place like R164 Maldives. As R166 says, its a vulnerable feeling position.

Plus, what kind of carbon footprint gets you there.

Then, what kind of carbon footprint gets you the delicious food and drink you will no doubt enjoy, when you are on such a an isolated place?

by Anonymousreply 167August 5, 2015 4:26 AM

Toss up-

Le Meurice in Paris was wonderful, but breakfast for 4 people was $200. Way overrated.

The Saxon in Johannesburg was the best. Stayed there after a safari trip to Londolozi.

The Mandarin in Bangkok is amazing, for a chain hotel.

by Anonymousreply 168August 5, 2015 4:38 AM

R20

The ReChateux brand has lost luster. Stayed in a few last year and was unimpressed.

They used to have the best services and toiletries and affiliated with great local restaurants...but not now.

by Anonymousreply 169August 5, 2015 4:43 AM

R25

The Peninsula used to be my "go to" spot, but Mandarin has won me over. The views of the park are spectacular. Even though the Peninsula is closer to my clients, I choose the Mandarin.

The rooftop bar @ Peninsula (the name change is so bad I forget what they call it) is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 170August 5, 2015 4:48 AM

Le hotel de crap

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171August 5, 2015 4:49 AM

R31

I hope it's better than W London.

Gorgeous, totally UNfunctional rooms. Great bar, and restaurant-Spice- was exceptional.

by Anonymousreply 172August 5, 2015 4:51 AM

R32

Have you never experienced Italian "customer service"?

The government protects them from being fired, even if they are rude and unhelpful.

The next time you are in Rome or Paris or Amsterdam or Brussels, ask the GM how hard it is to fire a room service attendant. He will laugh at you. Front desk people have jobs for life unless they kill a customer.

The government protects service workers from "unreasonable demands" by employers- things like being on time, friendliness to customers, competence- so firing a worker for anything less than manslaughter on the job is virtually impossible.

We need this kind of protection of hotel employees and fast food workers in the USA.

by Anonymousreply 173August 5, 2015 5:00 AM

R90

Too true.

Greenbrier has some awesome rooms, but the casino/restaurant was Applebee's at 4x the cost.

The medical facilities are top notch, though. If you have good insurance, you can book a suite for a medical exam and pay a few hundred bucks a night for the weekend.

by Anonymousreply 174August 5, 2015 5:15 AM

R101

I agree. I've stayed in the Peninsula and Mandarin in Bangkok, but I think I prefer the former. The cooking classes (with the executive chef) were the highlight!

by Anonymousreply 175August 5, 2015 5:19 AM

R110

The rooms were through Amex Centurion using points, but around $800/night.

by Anonymousreply 176August 5, 2015 5:22 AM

R114-

Yeah, right. It's gorgeous, and has great entertainment, but the rooms are TINY and outdated.

Saw Elaine Stritch perform there a few years ago, and looked at a "suite" and it was nowhere near what you could get at Mandarin or Peninsula.

by Anonymousreply 177August 5, 2015 5:25 AM

Has anyone stayed on Mackinac Island, Michigan? The island itself looks quite beautiful, and I was wondering if there are any hotels or inns on the island that are on the higher end.

by Anonymousreply 178August 5, 2015 5:26 AM

R130

$750/night for luxury hotel? Please hook me up, because that is CHEAP for a good room!

$1250/night is more like it.

by Anonymousreply 179August 5, 2015 5:28 AM

R134

True. One of the most elegant I've ever visited.

by Anonymousreply 180August 5, 2015 5:30 AM

R135

Expat in Asia?

With enough money to stay in luxury hotels?

Why are you on this site?

According to Datalounge, Libertarians all live in basements with their parents.

Have you visited the Saxon in Johannesburg? You must check it out- it blows away all the rest.

by Anonymousreply 181August 5, 2015 5:36 AM

R144

Oh, yes. Cheswick Hall is immaculate, especially rooms with terraces. The restaurant is amazing. It's isolated as hell, but a great escape. I stay there overnight when I drive from "home" to NYC since it is about halfway between.

by Anonymousreply 182August 5, 2015 5:44 AM

R144

Is Cheswick Hall still part of ReChatueax?

by Anonymousreply 183August 5, 2015 5:48 AM

R147

God, you're right.

"Cheswick" just sounds so much more "classy old money".

by Anonymousreply 184August 5, 2015 5:51 AM

[quote]Maldives always looks stunning, but I would feel uncomfortable going there with another guy when all the other couples would be hetero.

A lot of their business is honeymoons, but a small group who had attended a yoga retreat at another Maldives resort went for a few days at the end, so we made it a mixed crowd. I was pretty scared thinking about the tsunami beforehand but I was so relaxed once I got there that it never entered my mind. The beauty and tranquility definitely lulls you into a false sense of security, but I'm right back where I started. I get the heebie jeebies looking at the pictures now.

by Anonymousreply 185August 5, 2015 6:16 AM

Is the Peninsula NYC where Le Cirque used to be located?

by Anonymousreply 186August 5, 2015 4:58 PM

[quote] I had sex with the hotel manager when I stayed there. He upgraded me to a suite afterwards.

You're nothin' but a whore, darlin'.

by Anonymousreply 187August 5, 2015 5:13 PM

The Four Seasons, Hualalai. My room included an outdoor shower made of coral. 3 swimming pools on property, one designated as the 'quiet pool.' Landscape is very spread out. But also very honeymooney with lovebirds all around,

l

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188August 5, 2015 5:13 PM

I stayed at the relatively downmarket Sheraton Orchid in Bangkok and found that while the restaurant was horrible and the location a little cluttered, the rooms and views were magnificent and the location superior for easy access to gay spots. You can spend all night just watching the river, it is so interesting.

by Anonymousreply 189August 5, 2015 9:55 PM

I agree that the Peninsula Beverly Hills is Luxury personified. No luxury hotel can match it in the USA! 5*+++

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190August 6, 2015 2:48 AM

Anyone ever stay at Baiyoke Sky in Bangkok? That one looks scary.

by Anonymousreply 191August 6, 2015 2:35 PM

[quote]Have you never experienced Italian "customer service"? The government protects them from being fired, even if they are rude and unhelpful.

Thanks R173...yeah, I never did before that trip. I found quite a few people pretty rude there, actually. When I told people back home that Italians were quite unfriendly, they (mostly) all said it must have been me & the fact i was from America. I went to grad school w/ a girl from rome who was exactly like all the people I've described... it's not a culture that prides itself on friendliness. Ireland, on the other hand, is the extreme opposite...as I think the people in Dublin are nicer than any major US city. And, I think they may have similar worker protections (don't know, though).

by Anonymousreply 192August 6, 2015 4:14 PM

[quote] Saw Elaine Stritch perform there a few years ago, and looked at a "suite" and it was nowhere near what you could get at Mandarin or Peninsula.

DIdn't Stritch live at, and perform at, The Carlyle?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193August 7, 2015 3:23 AM

The Bangkok queen is funny. The Peninsula is gaudy nouveau riche.

by Anonymousreply 194August 7, 2015 3:44 AM

R193

You are so right. I conflated the two- I think the only St Regis I've stayed in was in Atlanta.

The Carlyle was no fleabag hotel- but I wasn't the Peninsula or Mandarin.

by Anonymousreply 195August 9, 2015 3:01 AM

The Carlyle isn't bad for high tea but overall the hotel isn't top of the line for the area. But it has a history of all kinds of famous guests.

by Anonymousreply 196August 9, 2015 3:06 AM

R194

Is that you, Bilge E?

I'll bet you think the accommodations at Londolozi were too "shabby chic" and the lions wandering through the camp at night too "heightened realist".

Calling ANY of these hotels "nouveau riche" is stupid. I'm fucking New Voa Reeshe, and most of the people I've met at "5 star" hotels are as well. Most of us were raised to be kind and courteous by our "poor" families.

by Anonymousreply 197August 9, 2015 3:11 AM

Anyone ever stayed at the chateau marmont? I've never been but it's so storied I'm curious.

by Anonymousreply 198August 9, 2015 3:18 AM

Wanted to clarify some points about the South Pacific. Have been to French Polynesia (Tahiti, Moorea, and Huahine) twice; Fijian Islands; Kauii, and Oahu. For me, the purpose of going to these places is all about clear, warm, calm waters for snorkling and diving and perfect, uncrowded beaches. Throw in a bit of mountainous rainforest, and it's perfect.

French Polynesia is very expensive to stay, play, and dine. Moorea and the outer islands still have terrific reefs for snorkling, but it's pricey. Hawaiian Airlines Magazine calls Papeete , the capital city on the main island of Tahiti, "The Oakland of the South Pacific". HA! That's where I'm from.... it's a bit dingy, run-down, and industrial. Beaches are dumpy trash grounds. Tons of Mosquitos. Don't go there. But my partner and I did stay a few nights and because of my high school French, we had a blast with locals. The tropical food with French influence was stunning and expensive. We went to a Mahu bar and were eventually welcomed. (this was in 1995).

Much more undeveloped, much cheaper, far better diving and snorkling -- and English-speaking is Fiji. Don't bother staying in Nandi where the airport is on the main island. It's slummier than Papeetee. The smaller islands off the main island (the Yasawas and Matamuca (sp?)) islands are unspoiled paradise. Native Fijians tend to be more shy, chrurchy, and slightly homophobic. (that was 2000). But still, very friendly people. Immigrants of Indian descent make up half the population and are the savy businesspeople. Makes for occasional political turmoil, but violence is extremely rare. Crime against tourists is unheard of.

The Hawaiian Islands are totally different. The waters are colder and rougher. This is not the South Pacific. Still beautiful, but less tropical, and definitely urban/American culturally, so you don't get that exotic feel.

by Anonymousreply 199August 13, 2015 1:53 AM

This place. Spent an amazing week here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200August 13, 2015 2:20 AM

there was no such thing as the "best hotel" in Louisiana. No cockroaches you're doing well.

by Anonymousreply 201August 13, 2015 3:12 AM

Ha Ha! My one trip to Louisiana was at a "one star" place in New Orleans with someone I was too smitten with to realise he was actually nuts until later.

by Anonymousreply 202August 13, 2015 3:18 AM

R108 - I've been to the Bates Motel. It's located just south of Aldergrove BC Canada, where the television show is filmed. The house is there also. I didn't check in though, it looked a little run down. . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203August 13, 2015 3:25 AM

The OC Housewives just went to Moorea and, while it looked beautiful. it also looked boring as hell. I really think that unless you're on your honeymoon, you'd be over it after a couple days.

Hawaii may be more commercialized, but there's so much more to see and do, and it's much less expensive. I think most people would prefer Hawaii.

by Anonymousreply 204August 13, 2015 3:26 AM

R203 My reply was for R103

by Anonymousreply 205August 13, 2015 3:28 AM

San Francisco Ritz-Carlton.

by Anonymousreply 206August 13, 2015 3:30 AM

I agree that the SF Ritz-Carlton is stunning with impeccable service... far superior to the stodgy central park RC in NYC

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207August 13, 2015 3:56 AM

Hôtel du Cap-Eden-Roc, Antibes, FR

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208August 13, 2015 3:57 AM

Turns out my "best" hotel was the Hilton in downtown Louisville KY. Morning room service came with a blow job. I was there every Monday-Thursday for a good 4 months on a consulting gig. After 3 or 4 weeks the hot room service guy started blowing me every morning with my coffee delivery . It was like one of those amusing porn scenes but real life. I guess he just liked me..lol.. It wasn't even for money since he wouldn't even take tips once that started.

by Anonymousreply 209August 13, 2015 4:10 AM

Where'd you end up going, OP?

by Anonymousreply 210November 27, 2020 8:23 PM

Everyone F&F the 2015 Bump Troll at r210.

by Anonymousreply 211November 27, 2020 8:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!