Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Rebel Wilson says America needs new gun laws after Lafayette theater shooting

Rebel Wilson has reacted to Thursday’s mass shooting during a screening of Trainwreck at a movie theater in Lafayette, Louisiana, by urging the U.S. to look to her native Australia when it comes to gun control laws.

“I don’t like getting political but America you really have to follow Australia’s example re gun laws,” the Pitch Perfect 2 star tweeted on Friday.

“I don’t remember a mass shooting in Australia since they overhauled the gun laws. It seems like every week in America there’s a shooting,” she added. “I just want people to be safe, especially people that are doing one of my favorite things in the WORLD - going out to the movies 2 have fun.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57April 25, 2020 1:52 AM

Well, for foreigners, American gun violence is incomprehensible.

by Anonymousreply 1July 26, 2015 5:35 AM

Which is interesting r1, because it's not like we haven't amply demonstrated our willingness to sacrifice many lives as just the cost of doing business.

by Anonymousreply 2July 26, 2015 5:58 AM

Most countries think the U.S. is sorely lacking in this area. And in the meantime, psychos, criminals and perverts still manage to get their hands on guns legally. We are fucked up when it comes to gun control.The bigger question, are our nation's leaders going to finally do something about it?

by Anonymousreply 3July 26, 2015 6:21 AM

As an Australian it makes my mind boggle too at the amount of gun violence in the US that just seems to be an every other day occurrence. The thing is though, we can't really compare our country to the US in this case. Not only does Australia have a much smaller population, which I think must have made gun control easier, but we are an isolated country with very strict customs/quarantine which would make smuggling that much more difficult.

I think in part too, the language used can influence how people view the violence. Calling it a shooting does not adequately reflect the severity of what has occurred, shooting is the name of a sport, these type of incidents should correctly be called gun murders/killings/massacres.

by Anonymousreply 4July 26, 2015 7:24 AM

R4 - I hope you're contributing a lot on here, because you made several salient points. Also, say hi to Kylie for me!!!

I'm a leftie, pinko, commie, bleeding heart liberal and I totally believe we should have much stricter gun control laws in the US. That said, I was pretty intrigued by the claim of the Freakonomics guys who, in their one of their recent podcasts/NPR shows, claimed that stricter federal gun control would not curb mass shootings like the one in Louisiana.

Also, I heard a guy from Johns Hopkins being interviewed on the BBC World Service last week who gave me a glimmer of hope. He said that when we all throw our hands up in despair at the lack of action taken after mass shootings, we're focusing too much - he claims - on Federal changes. There was that familiar refrain that "if Newtown can't change anything, nothing will", but he said that in the two years since Newton, 44 states have tightened their gun control laws. He didn't get into specifics and I'm sure that some of those are very superficial changes, but, I dunno, it gave me a touch of hope that maybe one day we'll come to our senses.

As with most national issues, this all comes back to money, though. If we had real campaign finance reform, the NRA's influence would be diminished - not removed - but diminished. They'll still have enormous sway over all the cranky old, white people who support them. If you want to make your blood boil. Watch the PBS Frontline special on the NRA's reaction to Newton.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 26, 2015 7:37 AM

Thanks [R5], I think Kylie mainly lives in the UK now sadly!

I think part of the issue is also that guns are so embedded in US culture (from what I have seen and read) that any change is going to be seen as an attack on rights rather than a sensible change.

I wonder how much hate Rebel will get from saying this, I predict a whole heap of backlash from people telling her that because she didn't grow up in the US she doesn't understand, or that it isn't any of her business. The thing is though, we live in an increasingly globalised world and like it or not the USA is seen as a world leader (though that status seems to be in decline) and the events that occur there has wide reaching implications.

I am 27 years old, and was about 11 when the Columbine Massacre happened and my mum recently told me about how scared I was after it happened because I worried that it could happen at my school. It was a pretty unfounded fear, but with this type of thing becoming more commonplace I can only imagine how freaked out kids growing up with it must feel.

What is worse seems to be the deaths that occur from accidents where gun cabinets are left unlocked or a kid takes a gun to school. Sure those events are few and far between, but you'd think to be hyper-vigilant when it concerns children near weapons.

I guess part of me finds a sort of odd irony with this, as often times you hear about Australia being considered such a deadly country where anything and everything could easily kill you!

by Anonymousreply 6July 26, 2015 7:57 AM

Gun deaths are low in the United States statistically.

by Anonymousreply 7July 26, 2015 8:58 AM

I love some of the responses she's gotten:

"HAHAHA STFU Rebel Wilson. Our country will built on freedom, yours was built by the British as a penal colony. Keep your opinions there."

"you need keep your Australian views centered on Australia and why over 70% of your population are alcoholics."

"more people die from obesity than guns. "

by Anonymousreply 8July 26, 2015 9:01 AM

r8 One of the jokes we have here is: The convicts went to Australia and the Puritans went to America. The Australians clearly got the better deal.

by Anonymousreply 9July 26, 2015 9:24 AM

Also to add, actually historically convicts were sent to America from Britain from the 1600s to 1776 over a longer period of time than transportation to Australia ever was.

by Anonymousreply 10July 26, 2015 9:31 AM

[quote]One of the jokes we have here is: The convicts went to Australia and the Puritans went to America. The Australians clearly got the better deal.

Not for the Aborigines.

by Anonymousreply 11July 26, 2015 9:38 AM

[quote]Also to add, actually historically convicts were sent to America from Britain from the 1600s to 1776 over a longer period of time than transportation to Australia ever was.

America was not set up for criminals, dope.

by Anonymousreply 12July 26, 2015 9:39 AM

Doesn't change the fact they also got a lot of them which was the only point I was making.

by Anonymousreply 13July 26, 2015 9:51 AM

But since we're here, even just from the beginning, Australia wasn't only set up for just convicts either.

by Anonymousreply 14July 26, 2015 9:52 AM

I didn't say it was necessarily a good joke r11.

by Anonymousreply 15July 26, 2015 10:22 AM

[quote]But since we're here, even just from the beginning, Australia wasn't only set up for just convicts either.

Rebel, go have another doughnut.

by Anonymousreply 16July 26, 2015 10:27 AM

by Anonymousreply 17July 26, 2015 10:28 AM

Rebel Wilson is obese.

by Anonymousreply 18July 26, 2015 10:36 AM

Quick, somebody award R18 the Nobel Prize and a MacArthur genius grant.

by Anonymousreply 19July 26, 2015 11:38 AM

[quote]The bigger question, are our nation's leaders going to finally do something about it?

No, they won't do anything about it. The NRA owns Congress.

by Anonymousreply 20July 26, 2015 11:41 AM

The headlines are going to people who kill more than one person while single killings don't get very much notice in the MSM. There were two murders in West Baltimore over the weekend - more to come, no doubt.

by Anonymousreply 21July 26, 2015 12:27 PM

"Gun deaths are low in the United States statistically. "

It has the highest gun deaths rate in the civilized world.

by Anonymousreply 22July 26, 2015 5:09 PM

With the amount of guns that is out across the country, i'm surprised gun deaths are not higher. Especially compared to some Latin American countries. We just need stricter gun laws.

by Anonymousreply 23July 26, 2015 6:04 PM

Another white fatty cunt?

by Anonymousreply 24July 26, 2015 6:36 PM

Big business in guns...like drugs, you won't disrupt the cashflow overnight.

by Anonymousreply 25July 26, 2015 6:45 PM

She's not wrong, but good God, she needs to lose weight.

by Anonymousreply 26July 26, 2015 6:48 PM

I can't help but think people would listen to her if she weren't so, uhm, heavy.

by Anonymousreply 27July 26, 2015 7:03 PM

What is this sow mooing about? Did she moo something? I can't understand her moos with that ham and cheese crumpet stuck in her throat.

by Anonymousreply 28July 26, 2015 7:50 PM

I love it, lets not think about the real issues so we will fat shame her instead. You yanks are funny, we don't have walmarts jn Australia with people so fat they have to ride around on scooters, yeah I've seen the pictures.

by Anonymousreply 29July 31, 2015 12:37 AM

Fat. Stupid. Cunt.

Go back to your hovel brood sow.

by Anonymousreply 30July 31, 2015 1:02 AM

[quote]It has the highest gun deaths rate in the civilized world.

Civilized countries don't disarm the law-abiding.

by Anonymousreply 31July 31, 2015 1:16 AM

We apologize as a country to this well fed, life size cabbage patch doll for putting her life in danger with our laws as she works her sizeable ass off through the deepest fat tissues and to the bone to earn more and more of those All American bucks.

by Anonymousreply 32July 31, 2015 1:19 AM

Australia needs stricter fork control laws.

by Anonymousreply 33July 31, 2015 1:21 AM

So as a tourist in the US can i arm myself for protection?

by Anonymousreply 34August 1, 2015 3:18 AM

Feel free not to come R34. As a gay man I would be nervous to go to Russia too. So I don't. If those big bad Americans with their shotguns aimed at you while you exit the airport terrify you. You should stay where you feel safe.

by Anonymousreply 35August 1, 2015 3:22 AM

The cow sure doesn't mind American dollars to feed her pie hole. We should all vote for her safety and nourishments. All 600 of them.

by Anonymousreply 36August 1, 2015 3:25 AM

I just remember a story of an older Australian couple buying an apartment complex in detroit for next to nothing and the husband got shot dead when he asked for rent, does America scare me, yes it does it a little

by Anonymousreply 37August 1, 2015 4:53 AM

Run r37 run. You may die here. Go go go. Save yourself. But take your check before bitch and bitch and bitch all the way to Chase bank!

by Anonymousreply 38August 1, 2015 8:34 AM

Honestly, we need to do away with the phrase "fat shaming." They SHOULD be ashamed to carry so much weight What frightens me is the normalization of fatties -- not only that so many blunder around among us, but also the fact that this obese young woman, this Rebel Wilson, is now a "star." Putting huge-sized bodies on screen as "normal" may help the self-esteem of their fellow fatties, but in the long run it helps no one's health and wellbeing.

by Anonymousreply 39August 1, 2015 2:35 PM

Detroit, r37. That's all you need to know.

by Anonymousreply 40August 1, 2015 2:39 PM

Eating like a pig is more likely to kill you than a gun.

by Anonymousreply 41August 1, 2015 3:33 PM

[quote]It has the highest gun deaths rate in the civilized world.

Nice try.

by Anonymousreply 42August 1, 2015 3:35 PM

Americans are violent, heavily armed idiots. They'll never learn. They all love their gunz and Jeezus.

The rest of the world should build a wall around that shithole of a country and forget it exists.

by Anonymousreply 43August 1, 2015 3:35 PM

R34 what a fabulous idea! It would sure take care of so many problems. Usually we can't build a wall big enough to keep people out. So many outsiders out there who just love the smell of those green paper things we produce that buy things. TIA!!

by Anonymousreply 44August 3, 2015 3:47 AM

[quote]The rest of the world should build a wall around that shithole of a country and forget it exists.

Then how will it come running to the US begging for help when the shit hits the fan?

by Anonymousreply 45August 3, 2015 3:53 AM

[quote]Americans are violent, heavily armed idiots. They'll never learn. They all love their gunz and Jeezus.

And you're from which deadbeat country?

by Anonymousreply 46August 3, 2015 3:54 AM

This has never, ever happened R45.

Sick and tired of the USA's aggression, empire building and genocidal bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 47August 3, 2015 6:02 AM

R47. We don't give a shit. Stop enjoying everything we offer and then bitching about it to fit in. Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 48August 8, 2015 4:21 AM

She needs to worry more about portion control. I hate when fatties get involved. Especially fat women. They ruin everything.

by Anonymousreply 49August 8, 2015 5:11 AM

[quote]This has never, ever happened [R45].

It's happened twice in even recent memory -- Bosnia and Libya. Of course, the most famous example is WWII, in which Great Britain would have collapsed without massive financial, material, and, finally, military support from the U.S. Had that happened the ussr would not have been far behind.

I don't like a lot of the knuckleheaded patriotism on display in this thread -- it's clear gun ownership in this country is totally out of control -- but please, you're not doing your argument any favors.

by Anonymousreply 50August 8, 2015 5:13 AM

Everyone loves America when they need them. If a cause requires they condem America it's just as easy. Don't you know? America is whatever you need them for?

by Anonymousreply 51August 8, 2015 5:40 AM

Why won't the fat cow answer the questions non Twitter lickers have?

by Anonymousreply 52August 15, 2015 9:21 AM

I don't disagree with her, but I'd be happier about it if she weren't obese.

by Anonymousreply 53September 27, 2015 2:51 PM

Die eating a grease fire, R39.

by Anonymousreply 54September 27, 2015 2:55 PM

Oh, well if Rebel Wilson said so, we'll get right on that.

by Anonymousreply 55April 25, 2020 1:14 AM

she can fuck off back to Australia

by Anonymousreply 56April 25, 2020 1:17 AM

Why the fuck was this thread bumped out of nowhere.

And R44, I see Trump became president anyway.

by Anonymousreply 57April 25, 2020 1:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!