Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

DL's Board of Patron Saints has an opening

For the following reasons, I nominate Henry "Toppy" Paget, 5th Marquess of Anglesey:

Was known as the "Dancing Marquess" for his habit of performing "sinuous, sexy, snake-like dances"

Blew through an inheritance of £500,000, plus mining rights providing income of £110,000 per year

Had his cars' exhausts modified to spray perfume

Converted the chapel at his family home to a theatre, The Gaiety. He initially performed for the servants but eventually brought in theatre companies from London and always gave himself a role which would require endless costume changes. He performed his snake dance during the interval.

Servants would cover his wife's naked body with jewels and he would come in and stare at them. She was granted an annulment on grounds of non-consummation.

Died alone, in debt, at 30

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 4, 2020 6:41 PM

Where did he get that printed tee from?

by Anonymousreply 1July 24, 2015 8:59 PM

Charming! And I nominate Count Felix Sumarokov-Elstone, later Prince Yusupov.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 24, 2015 9:23 PM

Are we sure that isn't Ben Shapiro?

by Anonymousreply 3July 25, 2015 2:16 AM

Do they serve food and beverages at board meeting?

by Anonymousreply 4July 26, 2015 1:24 PM

about him...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 26, 2015 1:52 PM

I wonder if he was gay?

by Anonymousreply 6July 26, 2015 1:52 PM

Edward Hyde, 3rd Earl of Clarendon, was Governor of New York and New Jersey between 1701 and 1708, had a predeliction for cross-dressing while in office. Cornbury supposedly opened the 1702 New York Assembly clad in a hooped gown and an elaborate headdress and carrying a fan, imitative of the style of Queen Anne. When his choice of clothing was questioned, he replied, "You are all very stupid people not to see the propriety of it all. In this place and occasion, I represent a woman (The Queen), and in all respects I ought to represent her as faithfully as I can." It is said that his character and conduct were equally abhorred in both hemispheres

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 26, 2015 2:42 PM

"Toppy"? Somehow I doubt that.

by Anonymousreply 8July 26, 2015 2:55 PM

He kinda looks like Adam Driver.

by Anonymousreply 9October 4, 2020 6:17 PM

F&F DeFacto @ r9

by Anonymousreply 10October 4, 2020 6:22 PM

I love him and his hypnot-eyes.

Looks like George Harrison? A little?

by Anonymousreply 11October 4, 2020 6:23 PM

Muriel, please take Defecto out to the trash.

He'll feel more at home there than he does in 2015

by Anonymousreply 12October 4, 2020 6:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!