Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mame: Lansbury vs Ball

I like how the guy explains it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 19, 2020 11:11 PM

Oh dear, I see that this thread has been tagged as "elder gay." Not surprising, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 1December 7, 2015 9:56 PM

Yeah R1, why don't you go see what is happening at the Frankie Grande thread.

by Anonymousreply 2December 7, 2015 11:15 PM

He makes some good points, but he needs an editor. First, he doesn't know how to properly pronounce Rosalind Russell's name. Then he says that "Here's Lucy" was in the top 30 "for its timeslot." Does he think there were 30 shows in its timeslot in the '60s? And then he seems to blame everything bad about Lucy's performance on her, where surely some belongs to the director.

by Anonymousreply 3December 7, 2015 11:26 PM

Lucy's voice is very underrated. And it fits perfectly for the film. As Lucy stated at the time, Mame is supposed to be a big partier. It doesn't make sense for her to have a voice like Julie Andrews.

She should have cut an album of standards or blues songs.

by Anonymousreply 4December 7, 2015 11:27 PM

With time Lucy's performance is being recognized for the triumph it was. The leaden film directed by the inexperienced Gene Saks unfortunately let her down. If George Cukor had been at the helm as originally planned, it would have meant an Oscar for Lucy.

by Anonymousreply 5December 8, 2015 12:35 AM

You know he's a moron when he start analyzing "Bosom Buddies". He objects to Lucy's three gestures without acknowledging that Lucy was reacting to each thing that Bea Arthur says. When you see it laid out the way he does, you realize that Lucy's actually pretty good, excepting that voice.

by Anonymousreply 6December 8, 2015 12:46 AM

Im no musical queen, I really couldn't care less. Lucy though has no voice at all.

by Anonymousreply 7December 8, 2015 12:55 AM

Ethel was much better in her Italian epic, "Bitter Grapes."

by Anonymousreply 8December 8, 2015 1:02 AM

Never seen this. Any good?

by Anonymousreply 9December 19, 2020 6:43 PM

It has its moments, but it’s no [italic]Bedknobs and Broomsticks[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 10December 19, 2020 10:40 PM

I saw it again recently and was surprised how little of the film's issue really fall on Lucy's shoulders. I don't think Mame needs to be any particular age since it's not like it talks about her having children or going through menopause, so I'm not sure that's an issue. Would I prefer a bigger, more robust vocal performance? Absolutely, but Lucy does the best she can with a movie that has no pace at all. It's horribly directed and there's no flair or excitement. Almost every musical number feels like a dirge. If your leading lady isn't one to hold notes, you speed up the songs, not slow them down.

by Anonymousreply 11December 19, 2020 11:05 PM

Gene Saks is the same Director who directed Angie on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 12December 19, 2020 11:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!