Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Day By Day

Anyone remember this show from the 1980s that used to come on after [italic]Family Ties[/italic]? It was from the same producers and was about a daycare center owner who had roomed with Steven Keaton in college. Christopher Daniel Barnes was on it, and IIRC he was pretty hot. Its cancellation enabled Julia Louis-Dreyfus to do [italic]Seinfeld[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 25May 22, 2020 9:51 PM

I didn't like it at all.

by Anonymousreply 1July 24, 2015 3:56 PM

The best episode was the one where CD Barnes (who later played Greg in the Brady Bunch movies) dreamed he was in the Brady Bunch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 24, 2015 3:59 PM

[italic]My Two Dads[/italic] actually got better ratings at 8:30 PM and far better ratings —although [italic]Murder, She Wrote[/italic] still won its timeslot— but [italic]Ties[/italic] used to be the second-highest rated show on TV, so their producers had more clout. That's probably why this show got on the 1988 fall schedule and [italic]My Two Dads[/italic] got held back until mid-season. I'm aware of the strike that year, but most of the returning shows' premieres didn't get pushed back past October or November.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 24, 2015 4:05 PM

[quote]and far better ratings than [italic]Full House[/italic]

Sorry about the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 24, 2015 4:07 PM

Yes, I used to watch it because I had a crush on CB (why the fuck he went by CD and CB Barnes at different times, I don't know). It wasn't very memorable, apart from him and Julia.

by Anonymousreply 5August 10, 2015 7:06 PM

Doug Sheehan is one of the hunkiest men ever...

by Anonymousreply 6August 10, 2015 7:43 PM

Christopher Daniel Barnes moved on to better things guest starring on The Golden Girls as they QB Dorothy gave an F. I saw him at The Brady Bunch convention last summer. He still looks good.

by Anonymousreply 7August 10, 2015 7:51 PM

Interesting about that "Brady" episode that while Barry Williams and Eve Plumb didn't appear, at least they were in the opening "Brady Bunch" credits-- while for some reason they had to replace Susan Olsen with another actress. Any idea why?

by Anonymousreply 8August 10, 2015 8:00 PM

Barnes was so ugly till he got his hair cut. It was a dumb idea for a show, though. A pedobear opens a day care and his son is in a bathrobe constantly cause he was so lazy. Oh yeah cutting edge there.

by Anonymousreply 9August 10, 2015 8:04 PM

This?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 10, 2015 8:06 PM

[quote]Christopher Daniel Barnes moved on to better things guest starring on The Golden Girls as they QB Dorothy gave an F. I saw him at The Brady Bunch convention last summer. He still looks good.

Ms. Zbornak eats...Shiitake Mushrooms...

by Anonymousreply 11August 10, 2015 8:06 PM

And this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 10, 2015 8:07 PM

Hmmmmmmm?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 10, 2015 8:09 PM

R8, I bet Barry Williams insisted on singing on a song and they wouldn't let him and Eve probably demanded more money since she hated doing anything Brady related. As for Susan Olsen, not sure. They're been conflicting reports as to why she wasn't in the Christmas TV movie (being on her honeymoon, was offered less than Maureen because she wasn't as popular)

by Anonymousreply 14August 10, 2015 8:18 PM

While Olsen did not do the 1988 "A Very Brady Christmas" movie (due to her, she said, marriage), she DID star in the short-lived "The Bradys" series of 1990. Maureen was in the 1988 film but did not star in "The Bradys" (not sure why). Maureen's replacement, Valerie I-Forget-Last-Name, got to play Marcia's one episode insta-alcoholism, one of the worst episodes of television ever produced.

by Anonymousreply 15August 10, 2015 9:46 PM

Co-created by the violently unfunny Andy Borowitz.

by Anonymousreply 16August 10, 2015 10:41 PM

Didn't Fox Network do a show exactly like this?

by Anonymousreply 17August 10, 2015 11:34 PM

R15, Leah Ayres played Marcia on "The Bradys" Maureen didn't do it because she had a baby not long after the Day by Day episode aired and wanted to devote her time to that. And I love that alcohol episode. It is SO bad it's good.

by Anonymousreply 18August 11, 2015 2:14 AM

BB episode cast photo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 11, 2015 2:43 AM

Wasnt this a spinoff of Family Ties?

by Anonymousreply 20August 11, 2015 5:00 AM

I remember that show and I loved it tremendously! Very ,very funny. I was sadden when it was canceled when I was a kid. Julia Dreyfus was extremely funny on that show ,but I think she wasn't as funny when she was on Seinfeld and other things. The actor Doug Sheehan who played the father on that show was super hot. I always got a vibe that he was gay? Well is he? I loved the character actor Christopher Daniel Barnes played on the show. I loved that the fact that he didn't play sports and he wasn't predictable. Is Christopher Daniel Barnes gay? because he is not married? just wondering?

by Anonymousreply 21August 11, 2015 6:15 AM

I noticed it's not the original Brady theme song either. It's resung, probably so they wouldn't have to pay residuals. I assume Olsen wouldn't or was unable to sign off on using her image for the episode and that's why they replaced her. Interesting that this episode from early 1989 and the Christmas reunion movie from 1988 were the two Brady projects Susan Olsen didn't participate in.

by Anonymousreply 22August 11, 2015 9:08 AM

R21, from IMDB:

Spouse (2) Rebecca Guyadeent(2012 - present) Dawn Nallickt(? - ?) (divorced)

by Anonymousreply 23August 11, 2015 9:21 AM

CD BArnes seems to primarily do voice over work now. He's also bald.

by Anonymousreply 24August 11, 2015 10:01 AM

R24 He was Spider-Man on the Spider-Man cartoon.

by Anonymousreply 25May 22, 2020 9:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!