Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

You're always window-shopping, but never stopping to buy...

So spread those dowdy feathers and fly!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 19, 2020 9:07 PM

There's another Georgy deep inside

by Anonymousreply 1July 23, 2015 9:30 PM

Title song at the opening of the movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 23, 2015 9:39 PM

What an incredibly catchy, yet shallow, sexist song.

The secret of life? A new hairstyle!

by Anonymousreply 3July 23, 2015 9:42 PM

Don't be so scared of changing and rearranging yourself

by Anonymousreply 4July 23, 2015 9:45 PM

One of the great pop songs of the 60s.

And you obviously have never seen the movie so you don't know what happens when the song ends.

You should stop with the knee jerk shallow sexist comments.

by Anonymousreply 5July 23, 2015 9:48 PM

It would have more poignant if Dion had given it to Mary.

by Anonymousreply 6July 23, 2015 9:49 PM

[quote]One of the great pop songs of the 60s.

Hardly!...I'll bet you LOVE that awful Lulu song as well.

by Anonymousreply 7July 23, 2015 9:50 PM

R5 the lyrics are being quoted because it is a great pop song -nothing more, nothing less.

by Anonymousreply 8July 23, 2015 9:51 PM

[quote] Hardly!...I'll bet you LOVE that awful Lulu song as well.

Independence is a banger!

by Anonymousreply 9July 23, 2015 9:54 PM

I was just a kid when this song first come out, and, although it had such a buoyant melody, I thought it was one of the saddest songs I've ever heard. I still do. Perhaps it was because Georgie was clearly on the outside looking in, a feeling I had being a young gay man, although I couldn't have out it in those words at the time.

BTW, Jim Dale was one of the writers of this song.

by Anonymousreply 10July 23, 2015 9:55 PM

I love Charlotte Rampling in the hospital bed, with bouffant and nail file, rejecting her new baby like one of Dawn Davenport's tonier English friends.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 23, 2015 9:55 PM

Can't even go window-shopping anymore because I'm dead.

by Anonymousreply 12July 23, 2015 10:00 PM

God Rampling is great in this movie. Though I kind of think she was playing herself.

by Anonymousreply 13July 23, 2015 10:19 PM

[quote]God Rampling is great in this movie. Though I kind of think she was playing herself.

So did a lot of people. I think it was a cross she had to bear for a very long time.

by Anonymousreply 14July 23, 2015 10:20 PM

Rampling doesn't have a reputation for being a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 15July 23, 2015 10:23 PM

A girl on my school bus used to sing this song every morning, as well as "You Were on My Mind," by the Count 5. Her older sister was my sister's best friend and she used to cringe as we pelted her kid sister with our books and school bags.

by Anonymousreply 16July 23, 2015 10:26 PM

Oops, it was the We Five, not the Count 5.

by Anonymousreply 17July 23, 2015 10:27 PM

"Oops, it was the We Five, not the Count 5."

Yes, I was wondering what you were on about.

by Anonymousreply 18July 23, 2015 10:28 PM

[quote]Oops, it was the We Five, not the Count 5.

Clearly you were having a psychotic reaction.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 23, 2015 11:50 PM

Lynn I'm sure came in a distant second to Liz Taylor for the Oscar for this. Lynn's best performance . Gods and Monsters pretty damn good too.

by Anonymousreply 20July 23, 2015 11:59 PM

R3 women were happier back then when they were objectified and not told to be offended by everything. Women love and crave male attention (just like bottoms do.) It was only the ugly girls who weren’t getting any attention that convinced the rest that it was bad.

by Anonymousreply 21August 19, 2020 5:51 PM

Did Jim Dale write the lyrics?

by Anonymousreply 22August 19, 2020 6:04 PM

Heterosexual women still love and crave male attention. Don't believe today's woke bullshit that they don't. They just don't like it when creeps do it. Then the attention is nauseating. And it's always been this way. Like forever.

Georgie girl is one of the few songs I loved as a kid that I still love today and haven't gotten sick of. And yes R3 is a moron and has never seen the film. It's wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 23August 19, 2020 6:09 PM

I love the song's verses at the end of the film:

Who needs a perfect lover when you're a mother at heart?

That's all you wanted right from the start

(Well, didn't you?)

So haunting--one of the best bittersweet endings ever for a movie. The expressions on Redgrave's and Mason's faces say so much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 19, 2020 6:10 PM

Just call me...

by Anonymousreply 25August 19, 2020 6:11 PM

[Quote] Heterosexual women still love and crave male attention.

Who doesn't crave attention of the sex that floats their boat?

by Anonymousreply 26August 19, 2020 6:11 PM

2015 Twat @ R21 is on a bumping spree.

by Anonymousreply 27August 19, 2020 6:14 PM

Judith Durham, the lead singer for The Seekers, had an unforgettable voice--so plangent.

by Anonymousreply 28August 19, 2020 6:15 PM

I find it very sad that a woman of her size was considered fat. Were all females supposed to look like Twiggy? I'd forgotten that at that young age Lynn had a very pretty face.

by Anonymousreply 29August 19, 2020 6:19 PM

It's an amazing film. I always thought "Muriel's Wedding" owes so much to it since they are both about self-loathing women who are trying to find love and happiness in the world, and get the man they want only to find out he's not worth much. But Georgy to me is such a much more worthwhile person than Muriel--she wants to help other people, and isn't as superficial.

by Anonymousreply 30August 19, 2020 6:19 PM

Lynn didn't have a very pretty face. She was plain. She was ungainly. And she was talented.

by Anonymousreply 31August 19, 2020 6:23 PM

I like this live version of Georgy Girl by The Seekers. I laughed when one of their fans screamed at 1:01.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 19, 2020 9:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!