Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Roisin Murphy is the most interesting pop star in the world

I'm surprised that there isn't a thread already dedicated to the Irish goddess of decidedly left-of-center pop music. Former lead singer of Moloko and easily one of the most compelling and unapologetically weird pop solo artists of the past 15+ years. She manages to match very arty and often wonderfully weird sensibilities with a spot-on sense of what makes an undeniable pop hook. It's a shame she's not a bigger star. She's stunning beautiful, has an absolutely gorgeous, smoky voice, is a wonderful songwriter who can marry the kooky with the everyday and is a truly adventurous audio-visual artist making strikingly original videos on 1/10th the budget of her contemporaries.

Anyway, Roisin recently released her first solo album in 8 years, HAIRLESS TOYS and it is unlike anything she's recorded, unlike anything out right now and yet seems so utterly 'her'. And, for the first two singles "Exploitation" and "Evil Eyes" she's released honestly the two best pop music videos I've seen in years featuring wonderfully obscure film and cultural allusions - everything from an unbelievably weird Japanese department store tv commercial Faye Dunaway made in the 80s, to the films of Bergman and Cassavetes. The Guardian probably says it better than I possibly could:

[quote]Where there’s disco, there’s an intoxicating darkness. Roisin Murphy’s first album in eight years embraces that dichotomy on intimate late-night tales, both personal and in an imagined voice of the 1980s LGBT community of New York’s ball scene. A regal glamour illuminated previous albums Ruby Blue and Overpowered , but the former Moloko star’s third is her most exquisitely produced yet: inside is a hedonistic haven. It’s an album that distracts from the tyranny of the norm – the rent-paying rigmarole and relentlessness of everyday life – with Murphy cooing as if lounging in a giant champagne glass. Never is it gaudy, however. From the glasslike Gone Fishing to its Italo-disco and house mutations and unusual country diversions, it draws from the past but adds a crisp, modern polish; and unlike other revivalists, there’s a depth to Murphy’s vocals, as if she has experienced the freaks and fantasy of Studio 54 firsthand. Hairless Toys is pure, evocative elegance, her performance as flamboyant and fragile as the subculture she celebrates.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97April 30, 2021 11:51 PM

Well, you're all clearly philistines. ;)

by Anonymousreply 1July 23, 2015 7:09 PM

And, today, the release of another brilliant, surreal, beautiful, wonderfully weird self-directed video. This woman is a true original and, once again, she'll be ignored.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 22, 2015 6:32 AM

I skied 3 seasons with Overpowered on frequent rotation. Moloko, too. However Hairless Toys isn't all that. It's fine, and mature. Not the most exciting thing though really. And you over gush about Rosin. She's not stunningly beautiful. She's pretty. She was a MAJOR fashion victim in Europe for several years and she's aged out of that. Her fashion taste isn't that adventuress. Pretty mainstream grasping at high, hip, fashion. Her interviews about her influences and about culture are not especially brilliant.

Sorry, dear.

by Anonymousreply 3October 22, 2015 11:02 AM

adventurous

by Anonymousreply 4October 22, 2015 11:02 AM

I love her. Too bad she's straight as an arrow. And I find her obsession with Italian and German camp hilarious. She truly is one of a kind.

by Anonymousreply 5October 22, 2015 3:39 PM

I love, love, love Overpowered, but Hairless Toys is infinitely more sophisticated in every possible way. Overpowered was chock full of excellent slightly left of center dance pop, but I can easily imagine other artists singing those songs and making them successful. Not so with anything on Hairless Toys. Everything is so intricately and delicately layered and intertwined on this album - every touch of percussion, every swooning synth line, every breathless sigh from Roisin. This is one of the most interesting evolutions of a pop star I can remember.

by Anonymousreply 6October 22, 2015 5:19 PM

Isn't she one of Conor Oberst's old dicksuckers?

by Anonymousreply 7October 22, 2015 5:42 PM

I only know her from Moloko's Sing it Back and that muzak is as soulless as it gets. See also Jessie Glynne.

by Anonymousreply 8October 22, 2015 5:47 PM

That EP of electronic covers of Italian standards ("Ti Senti"?) was all kinds of amazing.

by Anonymousreply 9October 22, 2015 5:48 PM

R8 - her solo work is very different. I love her solo work, but am pretty indifferent to her, now ancient, Moloko work.

by Anonymousreply 10October 22, 2015 5:49 PM

R9 it's Mi Senti and I agree. Ancora especially.

by Anonymousreply 11October 22, 2015 11:53 PM

Christ no, she's terribly flat on Ancora.

by Anonymousreply 12October 23, 2015 12:05 AM

R12 come again?

by Anonymousreply 13October 23, 2015 6:10 AM

It looks like the new video may have been filmed in Italy, too. Those title cards shown intermittently are actually from a Fassbinder film called Fear Eats The Soul about a 60 yr old German woman who has an an affair with a 30-something Moroccan guest worker. The younger Morrocan was played by El Hedi ben Salem, who would become Fassbinder's lover for several years. After Fassbinder broke off the relationship, Salem, in a drunken rage, non-fatally stabbed four people in a bar and then went to Fassbinder to say he had nothing to fear. Fassbinder helped smuggle Salem out of the country, but Salem was caught and arrested in France. He hung himself while in jail in France, but Fassbinder wasn't told about it until he himself was on his deathbed. So, yeah, fun story.

by Anonymousreply 14October 23, 2015 8:16 PM

I finally saw Roisin in concert this past week in San Francisco. I believe this is the first time she's toured the US. She was pretty damn magnificent. Impossibly glamorous and ridiculously goofy all at once. Her voice was beautiful, supple and powerful, she had such undeniable stage presence and the 50+ costume changes were absolutely bonkers. Good show.

by Anonymousreply 15April 23, 2017 7:54 PM

LOVED her for years!! I watched her set at Coachella last week on youtube. CLEARLY she was bummed at the turn out. Maybe 300 people/gays in the tent. She was up against Bastille and they won. She made a cry baby face when she walked on stage. I was sad for her. But she put on a great performance anyway. Nice to hear her live.

by Anonymousreply 16April 23, 2017 8:09 PM

New music

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 5, 2018 1:50 AM

Went to New York to see her at The Mansion back in 2008. It was a great show.

by Anonymousreply 18May 5, 2018 3:03 AM

Not sure what to make of this video's slice of no-budget 90s rave nostalgia, but the song is still killer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 21, 2018 2:45 AM

Roisin goes full on disco. LOVE IT.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 8, 2020 2:06 AM

New single, down tempo house... very slinky. From new album coming out in September.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 6, 2020 2:56 AM

Have always appreciated her. Gaga appropriated a lot of looks from Roisin .

by Anonymousreply 22August 6, 2020 3:15 AM

I love a lot of her stuff and have a lot of respect for her.

The last few songs have left me wanting a bit. I wasn't fond of the Take Her Up to Monto project, either. Hairless Toys, Overpowered and a few of her guest spots, along with Moloko work, remain the highlights for me.

by Anonymousreply 23August 6, 2020 3:22 AM

Her live performances from home are fearless. The new disco cut is fab.

by Anonymousreply 24August 6, 2020 5:23 AM

Róisín Murphy: If I want to be famous I can just go to a gay club

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 20, 2020 10:08 AM

Bjork does it better.

by Anonymousreply 26September 20, 2020 10:13 AM

Love Bjork, but these days their music has very little in common. Roisin still embraces house, disco and dance music (yes, with a weird, intriguing edge), but it's still dance music. I'm not sure I'd call what Bjork does dance or pop -- not that it isn't great.

by Anonymousreply 27September 20, 2020 7:04 PM

It's nice to see Roisin getting the attention she deserves. Sounds like the new album's going to be such a treat.

NY Times chats with Roisin

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 24, 2020 3:46 AM

Roisin Murphy? How 2003!

by Anonymousreply 29September 24, 2020 3:48 AM

Apparently, she decided to make an impromptu live performance video of Something More while on a socially distanced vacation in Ibiza. LOVE IT.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 25, 2020 3:22 AM

LOVE this interview she's done with OMG Blog. Honestly, music journalism would be so much better if left-of-center pop women of a certain age were exclusively interviewed by gay men. Having an interviewer who 'gets it' makes such a big difference.

(Also, although Metacritic hasn't started tracking yet, it looks like literally every album review out there is a 4 or 5 star rave!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 26, 2020 4:53 PM

Excellent review of her new album:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 30, 2020 1:58 PM

The album's, currently, close to a 90 on Metacritic and may in fact cross that threshold once all the reviews are in. Great to see her get all this praise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 30, 2020 8:49 PM

[QUOTE]Q: What do you think of the disco revival that’s been happening this year, with the new albums from Dua Lipa and Jessie Ware?

[QUOTE]A: “Lovely, good for them – but I’m back to snatch their wigs! To me, disco can be anything. It is a disco record I’ve made, but my idea of it is very broad. I can easily think of Depeche Mode and Sylvester as disco.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34September 30, 2020 8:52 PM

Roisin on Graham Norton. Love the groove of this song. Fabulous dress, too. Not so sure about the eyebrows. Perhaps a bit too editorial for a TV performance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 3, 2020 2:50 AM

Why does she keep looking off to the side?

by Anonymousreply 36October 3, 2020 2:55 AM

Hot drummer. Who he?

by Anonymousreply 37October 3, 2020 2:56 AM

Come on, Vogue

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38October 3, 2020 3:10 AM

Next performance look?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 3, 2020 3:12 AM

[quote]Well, you're all clearly philistines. ;)

Are you the tedious 'architect' from the Gucci dress thread, the one who went waaaay too over-the-top trashing others about their opinions about fashion? That poster enjoyed calling others "philistines". 😴 😒

If so, I refuse to discuss Roisin with you. I've been a fan for years, of Moloko and her solo music.

by Anonymousreply 40October 3, 2020 3:22 AM

[Quote] If so, I refuse to discuss Roisin with you. I've been a fan for years, of Moloko and her solo music.

You're responding to someone from 2015. The poster may be dead.

by Anonymousreply 41October 3, 2020 3:24 AM

[quote]You're responding to someone from 2015. The poster may be dead.

The poster has the same level of pomposity, why couldn't it be the same poster? 2015 wasn't all that long ago.

There are posters still here from when DL first launched.

by Anonymousreply 42October 3, 2020 3:35 AM

Their last post was at r14.

by Anonymousreply 43October 3, 2020 3:39 AM

R40 c’est moi I appreciate your fandom. I don’t think anyone is discussing anything with you as it seems. Bonne chance!

by Anonymousreply 44October 3, 2020 6:42 AM

How do you pronounce her name? “Raisin”?

by Anonymousreply 45October 3, 2020 8:44 AM

Row(like a boat)-sheen(like of paint)

by Anonymousreply 46October 3, 2020 9:23 AM

Soulwax remix if Something More. On heavy rotation in our playlists. 😍👯‍♂️

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47October 3, 2020 9:38 AM

Gay fans

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 3, 2020 2:48 PM

20 Questions.

On a side note, is anyone else missing the WW, FF and block buttons?

WW for r47 Soulwax rarely ever goes wrong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 3, 2020 2:50 PM

Mine worked R49. Back at ya 🙋🏼‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 50October 3, 2020 2:55 PM

r49 - I still have the WW and FF buttons. Perhaps you have a browser extension that is interfering?

by Anonymousreply 51October 3, 2020 10:24 PM

LOL. She's a riot.

(You might have to turn link previews off)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52October 6, 2020 5:32 AM

Downloaded new album and loving it. I have down loaded Overpowered again as have not listened for years.

by Anonymousreply 53October 6, 2020 6:46 AM

Is anyone planning to watch her livestream Saturday night?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54November 11, 2020 4:43 AM

R54 - I am. Already got my ticket. I do feel a bit bad for her, following Kylie's spectacular Infinite Disco, but of course she'll be working with 1/100th of the budget.

by Anonymousreply 55November 11, 2020 4:49 AM

dyke thread

by Anonymousreply 56November 11, 2020 4:59 AM

Kylie set the bar high for future livestreams. I have been enjoying the live from home videos Roisin has been posting to YouTube. I saw her in SF right after trump was elected in 2016 and even though there was a WTF just happened feeling still in the air, the show was a fantastic release and the crowd ate it up. Will be interesting to see if she mentions the current election result.

by Anonymousreply 57November 11, 2020 5:08 AM

R57 - I was at that show! I'd just moved to SF. Although her 50,000 costume changes were fun, they weren't really necessary, she had so much stage presence and charisma that she didn't need to be playing dress up in the midst of every song.

by Anonymousreply 58November 11, 2020 5:54 AM

I really like Roisin, I think Hairless Toys is one of my favourite albums, not just of hers, but generally. Also really like Overpowered too. Couldn't quite get into Take Her Up to Monto, it had too much going on or something - it seems like it should be exactly what I like, but it just didn't connect.

Despite really enjoying her music, I don't necessarily think she's great at making great pop hooks at all. I would say many of her songs from her poppiest album Overpowered sound like with a bit of extra work they would be pop classics, but they're not quite "there". And that's not a complaint from me, I don't love really poppy stuff generally, so her doing that makes her more interesting to me, and more like somebody I want to listen to. But I can tell there needs to be something extra in her work to make her hit the mainstream. And as far as I'm concerned, thank god she [italic]doesn't do that[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 59November 11, 2020 6:01 AM

I'm a bit excited about Roisin Machine - a recent comp of works she did with house music pioneer DJ Parrot from Sheffield UK. They've been collaborating here and there for a few years now. It's disco house that booms on a proper soundsystem. This is an extended version of one of the tracks...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60November 11, 2020 6:11 AM

R58 I think she had more outfits than songs. The energy in the crowd that night was incredible. I saw her a few years later and while she put on a great show, there wasn’t the same electricity in the crowd.

R60 the new album is definitely meant to be played loud.

by Anonymousreply 61November 11, 2020 6:27 AM

Roisin's livestream concert is TOMORROW -- Saturday November 14. It's obviously not going to be as slick as Kylie's, but Roisin always puts on a good show...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62November 13, 2020 10:12 PM

ahem.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63November 14, 2020 10:37 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64November 14, 2020 10:38 AM

Ugh, can I have my $13 back?

FB reminded me that her show in SF mentioned above was on this day in 2016.

by Anonymousreply 65November 14, 2020 2:09 PM

The show was cancelled?

by Anonymousreply 66November 14, 2020 4:21 PM

R66 if you're referring to the comment above you, I was attempting a joke related to her calling Billie Eilish her spirit animal. I should have referenced that post in my comment.

by Anonymousreply 67November 14, 2020 6:00 PM

The show is still happening. If you have a ticket you can attend any of the airings today. Second is at 4pm ET, third is at 10pm ET.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68November 14, 2020 6:39 PM

Anyone watching the current broadcast? It started buffering heavily around 40 minutes in and is now off air.

by Anonymousreply 69November 14, 2020 8:46 PM

Mixcloud is complete amateur hour. If you haven't bought a ticket, save your money. The stream timed out and buffered so many times, it was a joke to try and watch.

by Anonymousreply 70November 14, 2020 9:42 PM

I adored her in “A Roisin In The Sun.”

by Anonymousreply 71November 14, 2020 10:42 PM

That's not her name, hon.

by Anonymousreply 72November 14, 2020 10:44 PM

Apparently subsequent broadcasts improved the stream quality. There's one more at 10pm ET and your ticket is still good for that one, too.

by Anonymousreply 73November 15, 2020 12:31 AM

They rebroadcast it right after the 4pm eastern one and it cut out at the same point. Once it came back on, it was much better than the original 4pm (EST) stream, but still buffered here and there.

by Anonymousreply 74November 15, 2020 12:36 AM

That was pretty good. I didn't think Rave-at-Costco was what I needed this weekend, but I really enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 75November 15, 2020 7:56 PM

This might get taken down. To me the highlights were a truly fantastically funky performance of 'Incapable', the always captivating 'Overpowered' and a song I hadn't hear before 'Flash Of Light'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76November 18, 2020 4:18 AM

Part 2...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77November 18, 2020 4:19 AM

Part 3...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78November 18, 2020 4:19 AM

What about us?!?!

- Goldfrapp and Paloma Faith.

by Anonymousreply 79November 18, 2020 4:42 AM

She has the Irish kind of chic. There are witch and party girl elements.

by Anonymousreply 80November 18, 2020 9:16 AM

Definitely, R80!

by Anonymousreply 81November 18, 2020 4:20 PM

Also: Grace Jones.

by Anonymousreply 82November 18, 2020 5:13 PM

Yeah, I think Grace has always been a constant for Roisin. Even elements of her streaming show made me think of Grace's 'One Man Show'.

by Anonymousreply 83November 18, 2020 5:48 PM

R75, Rave-at-Costco is an excellent description.

by Anonymousreply 84November 18, 2020 9:18 PM

I was too busy to rip those 3 youtube parts. Now they are down. :(

by Anonymousreply 85November 20, 2020 6:04 PM

I did find this gem for you fellas. Enjoy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86November 20, 2020 6:06 PM

Roisin at Jools Holland's NYE show. Nice version of Incapable with Jools' orchestra.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87January 1, 2021 3:27 AM

"Roisin Machine" is so fucking BORING. I expected better.

by Anonymousreply 88January 1, 2021 12:53 PM

R88 - that's one thing I haven't heard before. Were you a Roisin fan before? I can't imagine being a fan of hers and finding the album boring. It's one house or disco banger after banger. I mean, they're not little 2 1/2 minute cookie-cutter dance-pop songs, that's true. But that's not what we go to Roisin for.

by Anonymousreply 89January 1, 2021 10:33 PM

Murphy's Law. Live from a tree in Ibiza.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90March 11, 2021 3:32 AM

Something More live from a villa in Ibiza

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91March 11, 2021 3:32 AM

The new album Crooked Machine is out today and is fantastic from start to finish. It's Roísín Machine reimagined into a more after-hours feel by frequent collaborator Crooked Man. The song titles are wordplay on the original titles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92April 30, 2021 9:58 PM

Crooked Machine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93April 30, 2021 9:59 PM

Music for people with no taste to pretend they have taste

by Anonymousreply 94April 30, 2021 10:01 PM

Or maybe people simply enjoy what they enjoy without worrying about what constitutes "taste" as deemed by someone like R94 who added zero to the conversation.

by Anonymousreply 95April 30, 2021 10:07 PM

R95 choke on your father’s cock

by Anonymousreply 96April 30, 2021 10:09 PM

Go eat shit

by Anonymousreply 97April 30, 2021 11:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!