Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

One day, in 1969...

Who remembers this momentous feat on July 20th?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 13, 2020 2:48 PM

I do! My parents woke me up to see it. I was so sleepy I could hardly keep my little eyes open, but I'm glad I did get to see it live.

Too bad we're too busy being self-centered and greedy to invest this kind of money in our future now.

by Anonymousreply 1July 20, 2015 10:41 PM

I remember my dad watching it on television and calling me over, saying, "Come over and watch, you'll never see this happen again". It was one of the few things we ever did together.

by Anonymousreply 2July 20, 2015 10:51 PM

I was 10 years old, I was at the cottage, the tv reception was poor and fuzzy, I didn't really understand that this was 'amazing' so I was like whatever, I want to go outside on the trampoline again.

by Anonymousreply 3July 20, 2015 10:55 PM

One of my proudest moments in my life.

by Anonymousreply 4July 20, 2015 11:09 PM

It was all fake. Didn't any of you bitches see Capricorn One?

by Anonymousreply 5July 20, 2015 11:15 PM

We never do anything fun, anymore.

by Anonymousreply 6July 20, 2015 11:21 PM

[quote]One of my proudest moments in my life.

You walked on the moon?

by Anonymousreply 7July 20, 2015 11:34 PM

I remember NIXON coming on the screen to congratulate Neil Armstrong... the president talking to a man on the moon .!. Even as a 10 year old I could see the cynical propaganda aspect of the whole event. The moon landing had little impact on me. From that era my biggest TV memory is Walter Cronkite's weekly report of casualties from the war. It was always something like: Americans killed 1,256. South Vietnamese killed: 3,278. Viet Kong/north: 7,265. Always the US casualties were the lowest. At 10 I was scared to death that the war and the draft would continue and at 18 I would have to go risk my life as well.

by Anonymousreply 8July 20, 2015 11:37 PM

This never happened.

by Anonymousreply 9July 20, 2015 11:38 PM

Nice years old sitting on the couch with my brother and mom at my Aunt's house on 5th Avenue, Clement District, San Francisco. She wasn't really my aunt, she was my mom's best friend. Her daughter Sara, a professional flamenco dancer, was sitting on the couch as well.

Thank god for my little Kodak instamatic camera; I've got pictures of the couch from that night.

by Anonymousreply 10July 20, 2015 11:43 PM

How you can help save Neil Armstrong's spacesuit in honor of moon landing anniversary

To commemorate this day in history, the Smithsonian Institution launched an inaugural crowdfunding campaign to support the conservation of Neil Armstrong's Apollo 11 spacesuit. The suit had previously been on display at The Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum in Washington D.C. until 2006, when it was taken down due to concerns over its deteriorating condition.

(The feds can't find a few pennies for this project?)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 21, 2015 12:30 AM

A rat done bit my sister Nell With Whitey on the moon Her face and arms began to swell And Whitey's on the moon

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 21, 2015 12:41 AM

The Space Race Is Over ~ Billy Bragg (1996)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 21, 2015 12:46 AM

I was 10, and we got to stay up to watch it (it was rather late at night when it happened). It was amazing actually!

by Anonymousreply 14July 21, 2015 12:48 AM

I was five. I was given a coloring book with a massive rocket on the cover. For some reason I LOVED that huge rocket! I was told it was the moon rocket, a Saturn V.

Then I was plopped in front of the TV and watched the moon landing, having been told repeatedly how important this was. I remember being shocked and dismayed to see that the thing landing on the moon was not my magnificent rocket, but some ugly skull looking thing on stilts.

by Anonymousreply 15July 21, 2015 12:48 AM

I was an infant, so no

by Anonymousreply 16July 21, 2015 12:57 AM

Like it was yesterday... I was nine years old; I remember sitting on the floor watching it. My mom and aunt were sitting on the couch behind me, crying. I didn't know why they were crying; I now understand the magnitude of this event for them. They had survived the Depression and the War; I can't imagine their perspective.

I was upset the feed was grainy. I asked my dad to go up on the roof and turn the antenna. He was so glued to the television, he didn't even hear me. I realized we had the best reception we could get when we watched all of the other walks that week at school.

I wouldn't mind going back to the 60s, if only I ten years older. I could have gone to Woodstock, Haight-Ashbury, the civil rights marches. It was a turbulent, exciting time.

by Anonymousreply 17July 21, 2015 12:58 AM

We were at the Hendersons' that night and Mrs. H made all us kids come into the TV room to watch. They returned to Pablo Fanques' Fair the following Monday.

by Anonymousreply 18July 21, 2015 1:59 AM

Damn R9!! You beat me!!

by Anonymousreply 19July 21, 2015 2:06 AM

I wasn’t alive then. Must have been an exciting and optimistic time to be alive.

by Anonymousreply 20August 13, 2020 2:31 PM

Never happened, never repeated

by Anonymousreply 21August 13, 2020 2:36 PM

Filmed by Stanley Kubrick. The effect this sketchy assignment had on him is illustrated in coded form in The Shining. (Bloodied twins - the failed gemini mission; indian tapestries- space shuttles; Shelly Duvall’s casting - Kubrick’s wife’s lookalike; Danny’s sweater - clue; room 213 - moon colors; overlook office - the white house) etc.

by Anonymousreply 22August 13, 2020 2:44 PM

I was still three years away from being born. My parents have talked about it and how it captivated the nation. Imagine the first moon landing was today. Lol. Most people wouldn't watch, but would watch a youtube or twitter portion later. Then there would be the massive backlash from it's not real to why are there no trans astronauts, plus all the conspiracy theories.

by Anonymousreply 23August 13, 2020 2:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!