Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The night Patti LaBelle upstaged and humiliated Diana Ross-1985 Motown Flashback!

It was glorious and sweet revenge! Everyone knows Diana Ross was a straight up bitch on her way to the top of the music industry. In May, 1985, Motown filmed a special about returning to The Apollo. For the finale, many of the night's performers came out to sing along to "I Want To Know What Love Is" by Foreigner. Diana Ross of course got to start off the song. What happens next is known as the infamous "mic toss". After asking for someone to take over singing, Diana Ross can be seen hopping away as Patti enters the stage and walks towards her. Once Patti gets her hands on the mic LOL she blows Diana off the stage. Diana smiled and clapped through it but you could tell she was pissed.

Plenty of other performers were on stage and singing too including El DeBarge and fellow gay George Michael.

FYI another gay, Sam Harris was there on stage but didn't get a solo turn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55February 17, 2018 3:23 PM

FYI the video I posted is not the original, which had a few million views lol for whatever reason, the original was taken down but luckily someone put it back up again.

Here's Patti talking about some of the shit Diana pulled back in the day (yes they're friends now but that's only thanks to Oprah):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 20, 2015 1:32 PM

Here is Diana dissing Patti several years later on the Arsenio Hall Show (and the shady poster includes Patti's reaction lol)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 20, 2015 1:36 PM

Diana Ross has always shown good taste: she was making the song about the lyrics and telling the story.

Patti LaBelle, on the other hand, makes the song all about the notes she can hit.

by Anonymousreply 3July 20, 2015 1:48 PM

but now they're friends

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 20, 2015 1:50 PM

Patti did not upstage Diana. Patti sounded like one of those midnight cat fights.

by Anonymousreply 5July 20, 2015 2:03 PM

Patti had the much stronger voice, but she always overdid everything. In general, I prefer Diana, who had a much weaker (although pleasant and unique) voice, but knew how to use it.

by Anonymousreply 6July 20, 2015 2:12 PM

Patti SLAYED.

Diana sounded like the final gasps of a dying white woman.

by Anonymousreply 7July 20, 2015 2:13 PM

well said R3! labelle sings AT YOU, AT people, getting off on her vocal gymnastics.... i find her annoying as hell, like nails on a chalkboard! the ONLY song i can listen to her sing is her classic duet with michael mcdonald "on my own" where she tones it down... not a big fan of diana's voice either but it doesn't offend or annoy me....

by Anonymousreply 8July 20, 2015 2:15 PM

LOL at R1's video.

Patti re Diane: "That li'l heffa..."

by Anonymousreply 9July 20, 2015 2:16 PM

I can't BELIEVE so many people are on Team Diana.

She is hands down the most overrated singer ever to walk the face of earth. Bitch has a range of eight notes, and has been wearing that same tired hair for 30 years. No, no, no, no and NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

by Anonymousreply 10July 20, 2015 2:17 PM

Patti LaBelle's caterwauling singing style is for people with unsophisticated, infantile tastes.

Of course she can be subtle with nuanced phrasing, but she knows her audience is stupid.

by Anonymousreply 11July 20, 2015 3:13 PM

R11 totally wrong of course. Patti's amazing style is for people who appreciate REAL singers who have powerful, full voices. People who simply hum out lyrics are boring and not talented. Anyone can make your preferred but dull elevator music or cheesy show tunes. Most singers can't reach the notes that the supremely talented Patti has been hitting for over 50 years. You obviously don't know anything about singing.

by Anonymousreply 12July 20, 2015 4:03 PM

All Patti Labelle does is scream through every song she performs.

by Anonymousreply 13July 20, 2015 4:06 PM

I remember this as a kid. It was not Diana's song but Patti took it over. It took Patti 30 years to forgive Diana for stealing former LaBelle member Cindy Birdsong who jumped ship to join bigger group The Supremes.

by Anonymousreply 14July 20, 2015 4:38 PM

R12 I agree that Patti LaBelle is supremely talented.

It's a shame that she wastes her talents by being a sort of dog act: yes, she can go through the hoops (hit those high notes).

But there is no phrasing there. No story telling. No nuance. She's a sledge hammer. It's a bore.

by Anonymousreply 15July 20, 2015 5:17 PM

There seems to be a "who's who" of popular song (and a lot of Motown acts) at that Apollo special. Where can I find the list?

by Anonymousreply 16July 20, 2015 6:22 PM

Diana was actually flown in for the finale at the last minute. She had a show in Atlantic City earlier that evening, hence why she is hoarse when speaking at the beginning. Diana actually wanted Patti and Jennifer Holliday to appear alongside her during this song, but Holliday was nowhere to be found at the time. Diana gestured Patti to come over, Patti took the mic and history was made. Of course the media had a field day the following day saying Patti deliberately oversang everyone.

by Anonymousreply 17July 20, 2015 6:37 PM

R10=Mary Wilson

by Anonymousreply 18July 20, 2015 6:44 PM

Another example is the story of Dionne Warwick, Gladys Knight and Patti performing a cover of Karyn White's "Superwoman" and Dionne asked Patti to tone it down and Patti was not pleased.

by Anonymousreply 19July 20, 2015 6:44 PM

God I feel so old. I was 19 in 1985 and i recognize so many of the faces on that stahe in The Dianna Ross Apollo video.

by Anonymousreply 20July 20, 2015 6:47 PM

[quote] Patti's amazing style is for people who appreciate REAL singers who have powerful, full voices.

YASSSSS HUNTY

by Anonymousreply 21July 20, 2015 9:14 PM

[quote] Patti LaBelle's caterwauling singing style is for people with unsophisticated, infantile tastes.

Ah, nope! People who appreciate Gospel stylized singers recognize Patti LaBelle to be one of the best in the business. Of course, Patti can give you a mellow interpretation (her signature song "If Only You Know" exhibits this until the final part of the song where she belts the fuck out of it). Patti is a Gospel belter, and if you don't like it, then fine, but don't act as if her singing is horrible because it's not the style that you prefer. I can revere Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald and Sarah Vaughan while also appreciating Patti LaBelle because I know they're completely different kinds of vocalists.

Anyway, I remember this televised concert like it was yesterday! Patti got all the press the following day, and it was one of the reasons why she was big in the 80s (her album "The Winner in You" went platinum). Vocally, Aretha's voice was on the decline, so she couldn't give the electrifying performances she was known for in the 60s and 70s. Patti filled the void that was missing in the 80s. She was on FIYAH that night!

by Anonymousreply 22July 20, 2015 9:31 PM

Patti got an Emmy nomination for her performances on this special, but there was a lot of negative feedback. Even more after her appearance during the We are the World finale at Live Aid a few months later. She started to get a reputation as a showboater. So much so that Dionne took her aside when they were filming Sisters in the name of love a year later and told Patti to tone it down for the special.

Patti refrained from doing these types of finales for many years afterwards because of this.

by Anonymousreply 23July 20, 2015 9:36 PM

It's so funny that George Michael was there - they always had, like, a token white person on these shows.

I remember Boy George on a Stevie Wonder special singing "Part Time Lover" with Stevie, shortly before it was released as a single. Odd choice of pairing.

by Anonymousreply 24July 20, 2015 9:37 PM

Lol. That was great. Diana may not have the best range but she does bring something special to her performances. I was thrilled to see little Webster up there!

by Anonymousreply 25July 20, 2015 9:41 PM

Patti LaBelle butchers every song with her screeching. She also seems crazy and full of hatred.

by Anonymousreply 26July 20, 2015 10:35 PM

Mariah screeches. Patti belts.

by Anonymousreply 27July 21, 2015 12:50 AM

R16 if you click on the video link and scroll down, the youtuber who posted it lists the people on stage in the video in the order they appear.

by Anonymousreply 28July 21, 2015 1:32 AM

lmfao at Diana's comment in R2 's link. Such a bitch! I knew that niceness thing was an act. Arsenio was messy as hell for bringing up Diana's comment the next time Patti appeared on his show!

by Anonymousreply 29July 21, 2015 1:33 AM

R26 = Aretha who is jealous that Patti is a better singer and has retained her voice despite being 70

by Anonymousreply 30July 21, 2015 9:12 PM

Why was Webster there? As Michael Jackson's pet?

by Anonymousreply 31July 21, 2015 9:48 PM

Hi Vanessa Williams I see you with that orange headdress on!

El DeBarge was pitchy as fuck!

I love how Patti sang right in Diana's face lol get that heffa!

by Anonymousreply 32July 22, 2015 11:15 PM

Hush now.

Patti is taking us to church.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 23, 2015 5:30 PM
by Anonymousreply 34February 17, 2018 5:54 AM

Everyone can yell but not many can sing. Barbra, Whitney or Céline are some of the best vocalists out there.

Anyway, I’ve always preferred this classic sing off between Aretha and Céline. Sorry Mariah, I know why you should back off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35February 17, 2018 6:09 AM

Most people resented Diana for trying to control everything and always be center stage. For years she took advantage of her relationship with Barry to get her way and most Motown contemporaries were tired of her antics. The night was supposed to be Motown 25, not Motown 25 feat Diana Ross. Patti was just one star that subtlety checked her that night.

by Anonymousreply 36February 17, 2018 6:21 AM

[quote]People who appreciate Gospel stylized singers recognize Patti LaBelle to be one of the best in the business.

That's fine. But this was not a gospel song. It was supposed to be an ensemble piece. Patti sounded like that kid on the airplane. SHHHRRRIIIIEEEEEEEEEKKKKK!!!!

by Anonymousreply 37February 17, 2018 6:57 AM

[quote]That's fine. But this was not a gospel song. It was supposed to be an ensemble piece. Patti sounded like that kid on the airplane. SHHHRRRIIIIEEEEEEEEEKKKKK!!!!

1. the original song has a gospel choir and Jennifer Holliday doing a gospel solo at the end

2. they had a gospel choir on stage so clearly they were going for the original gospel feel.

by Anonymousreply 38February 17, 2018 10:44 AM

I stand corrected.

Patti sip SSSSHHHRRRRIIIIEEEEEEKKKEEEEDD!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 39February 17, 2018 11:01 AM

Still^^^^^^

by Anonymousreply 40February 17, 2018 11:01 AM

Patti is an angry, unsophisticated woman who can only express herself by screaming.

by Anonymousreply 41February 17, 2018 11:12 AM

[quote]Aretha who is jealous that Patti is a better singer

Aretha will always be the queen of soul, Patti never achieved anything with all that screaming.

by Anonymousreply 42February 17, 2018 11:16 AM

Patti, PATTI!!!

by Anonymousreply 43February 17, 2018 11:17 AM

Diana = apples / Patti = oranges. When all is said and done, Diana has the more epic, towering career when you factor in both her solo and Supremes work. Patti is a more acquired taste and she has had minimal crossover success. Diana is Mcdonald’s, Patti is Church’s Chicken. Patti will be played at the bbq over Diana, but when Diana dies- she is getting every commemorative issue and lead story on any nightly newscast. As for their vocals, Patti nails the calisthenics time and time again, but really- who do we want to hear on a road trip, in a dentists chair, on the treadmill, at a bar...? Diana.

by Anonymousreply 44February 17, 2018 11:54 AM

Gladys Knight sounds better than either of them, but the Supremes had HDH.

by Anonymousreply 45February 17, 2018 12:01 PM

Isn't Patti Labelle the one who travels with thugs who beat up anyone who get what she deems as too close to her?

by Anonymousreply 46February 17, 2018 12:09 PM

More importantly, Emanuel Lewis was there.

by Anonymousreply 47February 17, 2018 1:04 PM

I remember at the time Patti said in some interview, “this is stupid. If someone’s gonna give me a mic I’m gonna use it”

Patti was also having a bit of a career renaissance so she needed all the exposure she could get.

by Anonymousreply 48February 17, 2018 1:21 PM

Patti can sing the phone book.

by Anonymousreply 49February 17, 2018 1:54 PM

Patti shut her down.

by Anonymousreply 50February 17, 2018 1:57 PM

(Disclaimer: I am not the Janet Jackson troll.)

I was born in mid-1978, so I really missed the Diana and Patti zeitgeist. Given that, I’ve never understood the worshipping of Diana Ross. Her voice to me is like Janet Jackson’s—just fine, thin, serviceable—except Janet also dances well. I just don’t get how among all the vocal talent (some surely with pretty faces) Diana rose to the top. It has to have been her willingness to cut throats of competitors. I love Patti LaBelle because I grew up watching her on A Different World as Dwayne Wayne’s mother and I loved that character and Patti’s performance of it. Her style of singing is difficult for me to listen to (same with Christina Aguilera), but I admit she can blow a house down with the power of her voice.

Not having lived through their heydays, Patti seems like a greater natural talent to me, and Diana more of a model.

by Anonymousreply 51February 17, 2018 1:57 PM

Diana has always been more commercial than Patti, and her voice and technique improved over the years. Diana was more a vocalist and artists like Patti, Aretha and Gladys are what people considered singers. And although she got flack for being driven—and sleeping with Barry G and having his kid didn’t hurt—she worked her ass off to become a star. Barry also made most of the career decisions which helped a lot.The truth is, Mary and Florence were talented but didn’t take their careers as seriously as Diana did and weren’t as committed. They liked to party and have fun. If I remember right, they didn’t even do the backups on a couple of the Supremes last tracks because couldn’t be bothered. But it was easier to blame Diana for their woes Diana was and is a pushy diva, but you don’t become a star of her caliber by by accident. She did the work.

by Anonymousreply 52February 17, 2018 2:59 PM

[quote]I love Patti LaBelle because I grew up watching her on A Different World as Dwayne Wayne’s mother and I loved that character and Patti’s performance of it.

It's a good performance, but it's not much of a stretch for Patti. If you've seen her in concerts and in interviews, that's how she acts. It's her schtick.

Watch Diana do Harpo Marx, WC Fields, or her impressions of Josephine Baker and Ethel Waters. Watch Lady Sings the Blues. There was a natural talent there that was never milked for all it was worth. Had she chosen her film projects more wisely, she easily could have rivaled Streisand as the premier movie star of the 70's.

by Anonymousreply 53February 17, 2018 3:08 PM

Gladys Knights criticisms have never made much sense. She had huge success after leaving Motown. The problem was that she was asked to become a solo act, but refused because of her loyalty to the Pips. Even Patti didn't become huge until after leaving Labelle.

For years, she has insulted Diana in public, while Diana has not said one unkind word about her. Meanwhile Aretha has humiliated her many times, and Gladys kisses her ass.

by Anonymousreply 54February 17, 2018 3:11 PM

Such a great link.

by Anonymousreply 55February 17, 2018 3:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!