Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Korea: What is it like?

Haven't been to that country. What is it like?

by Anonymousreply 28May 7, 2021 3:11 PM

It sucks. and you're a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 1July 19, 2015 7:40 PM

NPR journalist Ari Shapiro is over there providing stories all this week. He usually comes up with some unique tales.

by Anonymousreply 2July 19, 2015 8:07 PM

North or South?

by Anonymousreply 3July 19, 2015 8:36 PM

I lived in South Korea for a year.

While it's not someplace I'd ever recommend visiting (since China, Japan and countries with more fascinating histories are so close), it's not horrible. The only group of people I'd ever recommend a visit to are foodies. The food is phenomenal and after 10 years I still have a hard time describing exactly why kimchi us so amazing! I suppose I'd also encourage history buffs to visit the DMZ...that was quite the experience.

Architecturally it's rather non-descript and there's nothing striking about any of the landscape.

by Anonymousreply 4July 19, 2015 8:46 PM

R4, were the people friendly? Did you live in Seoul?

by Anonymousreply 5July 19, 2015 8:53 PM

I had a similar impression, R4. I lived in Seoul for a year, in Itaewon, and I'd add that the people are friendly unless you're black or overweight - they're terribly racist and hate fatties. As a society they're kind and hard-working, but tend toward superficial. They're also homophobic, yet there's a thriving gay nightlife in Seoul. Not especially religious with most practicing Buddhim or Christianity. Terribly pollution. The food was good and cheap, but there are only about a dozen dishes, soup/stew and BBQ, and they're the same menu items everywhere. The markets were amazing, Namdaemoon and Tangdaemoon. I enjoyed living there, but I wouldn't visit again.

by Anonymousreply 6July 19, 2015 9:08 PM

I'd also add that Seoul is very safe and the only people I feared were US Army. They love white people and spitting in the street.

by Anonymousreply 7July 19, 2015 9:12 PM

R6, Do you know the root cause of this racist attitude? Perhaps that lighter Asian skin was associated with the wealthy who didn't labor out-of-doors? Or is it due to what's been seen from US TV and movies?

by Anonymousreply 8July 19, 2015 9:25 PM

No idea, R8. From what I saw, Koreans didn't seem bothered by different skin tones among other Koreans; however, Koreans also hate the Japanese because they were invaded and colonized.

I don't think racism against blacks is exclusively Korean but the prevailing attitude among Asian cultures. I hope I'm wrong.

by Anonymousreply 9July 19, 2015 10:25 PM

Lots and lots of Christian homophobes.

by Anonymousreply 10July 19, 2015 10:30 PM

A guy I went to high school with died in Seoul in 2003 under strange circumstances after having taught English there for a decade.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 19, 2015 10:39 PM

Good.

by Anonymousreply 12July 20, 2015 1:02 AM

Datalounge fatty or sane people's idea of fatty?

I've never been there, and I like kimchee, although I prefer radish to cabbage.

by Anonymousreply 13July 20, 2015 2:27 AM

There's a great vblog team on YouTube called EatYourKimChi. Cool Canadian couple (although he reads gay) who moved there to teach English - but have stayed. They have every topic about Seoul and South Korea covered it seems.

AND they're really entertaining. They make good money doing it.

by Anonymousreply 14July 20, 2015 2:45 AM

Datalounge fattie! Like a women's 10 is morbidly obese.

by Anonymousreply 15July 20, 2015 2:50 AM

R9 and R10: a recent immigrant Korean colleague of mine didn't hide her racism at all. She gestured towards a middle class house owned by a black family which had a matrilineal structure (meaning a 40-yr-old mom w/ a 20-year-old daughter and also baby by a different guy. The daughter lived there and also had a baby.) "Just like animals," she said a disgusted tone. She was middle aged with young adult kids, very well preserved and nicely put together. I don't know if she was always so open, or she was open w me because I am white and had a good zip code. Another guy would go on rants about lazy people not working hard enough.

Basically the same attitude and that was quite common with white people a generation or more older than I am, but no longer is. (I'm older Gen X.)

I'd be curious if it is different w younger Koreans in Korea since it seems to be here.

by Anonymousreply 16July 20, 2015 4:23 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 17July 20, 2015 12:38 PM

Living there now. Very insular, hard working, competetive people. Boring landscape, cheap public transportation. Cosmetic surgery is very common, shallow, materialistic. No sense of individuality. Smart yet not creative. As far as racism's concerned, i think younger generation is much more open and accepting. That goes for homosexuality as well. Watch out for those crazy christians.

by Anonymousreply 18July 20, 2015 12:49 PM

Great club scene there. Been there quite a few times and the music and crowd is just awesome.

by Anonymousreply 19July 20, 2015 1:02 PM

Yeah -- half our fight with Christians is those damn Korean missionaries weighing in against us.

by Anonymousreply 20July 20, 2015 1:29 PM

Tnx R4 R6 R18

Recent times I've been watching lots Korean movies alongside Japanese HK & China stuff. SOME of the background landscape here and there grabs my attention, but I agree nearby Japan & China probably better pick.

What about outside the Seoul - I'm particularly wondering about southern & southern eastern coastal ? Fishing villages ? I've seen some locations in movies that look cool. Wondering how accessible? If worth it compared comparable options Japan China nearby.

Any time of year you would specifically suggest - I assume Autumn / Spring like Japan ? Is either these two seasons as attractive & apoealing but less overrun than Japan at these times ? Soring blossom festivities or attractive autumn landscapes at all for example ?

by Anonymousreply 21July 25, 2015 3:47 PM

There are no Latinos and very few african-americans. So that is a dealbreaker for me.

by Anonymousreply 22July 25, 2015 3:56 PM

matrilineal structure is the new whores who can't keep their legs closed.

by Anonymousreply 23July 25, 2015 3:59 PM

R6, you're exactly right.

by Anonymousreply 24July 25, 2015 4:04 PM

Consider the case of South Korea, which in the course of a century has gone from being a country devoid of Christianity to one of its biggest exporters. It currently ranks as the second-largest sender of missionaries, trailing only the United States.

by Anonymousreply 25May 7, 2021 4:19 AM

Unlike Japan, plenty of good food you can actually eat, and afford.

The cities are pretty awful. Yes there are some lively streets, but they're essentially the same everywhere.

Quite a few mountainy areas with monasteries. Generally cheaper and easier to reach than Japan's mountains.

Avoid the honeymoon island of Jeju. Unless you're planning a Korean honeymoon.

by Anonymousreply 26May 7, 2021 9:08 AM

R11. Interesting. Was he CIA? There are many CIA professionals al over South Korea.

by Anonymousreply 27May 7, 2021 2:06 PM

Dog meat markets, they make soup after torturing them to death, nasty people but good electronics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28May 7, 2021 3:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!