Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What do you do to Avoid Rape

Having been in a psychiatric setting (was my clinical placement), I know that many people with mental illness were raped or molested when they were younger. How does one avoid situations that involve rape?

For me, I don't stay out late. I don't go to bars or clubs or drink alchohol. What are your strategies?

by Anonymousreply 57June 10, 2020 4:55 AM

Having a penis seems to do the trick.

by Anonymousreply 1July 19, 2015 1:00 AM

R1, Men can and do get raped too. I'm a guy myself.

by Anonymousreply 2July 19, 2015 1:01 AM

I wear my Boy Burka.

by Anonymousreply 3July 19, 2015 1:02 AM

Nothing.

by Anonymousreply 4July 19, 2015 1:02 AM

Best strategy for dealing with rape:

Stop blaming the victm.

by Anonymousreply 5July 19, 2015 1:03 AM

R5, But How do you prevent it in the first place?

by Anonymousreply 6July 19, 2015 1:05 AM

I believe most known-partner rapes happens when both are under the influence of alcohol

by Anonymousreply 7July 19, 2015 1:32 AM

I know that young boys of various ages get raped r2 but grown men seem to only encounter that when in prison to my personal knowledge. One instance would require education of our youth on what to look out for and making adults more vigilant for example. The other instance would require talking about our prison system and how they are run.

by Anonymousreply 8July 19, 2015 1:32 AM

Oh no, is this the next step in Rape Hysteria?

Live your life, have fun but trust your instincts. If a guy seems weird even a little and your alarms are going off, do not go inside, do not just show up at his door anyway, do not even get in the car. Most of the time, it won't go off because, well, most of the time men aren't rapists.

by Anonymousreply 9July 19, 2015 1:43 AM

Show him my AARP card.

by Anonymousreply 10July 19, 2015 1:53 AM

Just as long as it's not Rape-rape.

by Anonymousreply 11July 19, 2015 1:53 AM

Not much a child can do to avoid rape, OP.

Personally I don't go out to clubs, but that's more to do with me being antisocial than anything else. If I do happen to be outside late at night I pay extra attention to people within a certain distance to see if they are following me and steel myself in case I need to react. Pepperspray is not allowed in my country but that might be an option for you.

by Anonymousreply 12July 19, 2015 2:02 AM

Tell them I have warts. Works every time.

by Anonymousreply 13July 19, 2015 2:14 AM

Being 58 and overweight seems to be working for me.

by Anonymousreply 14July 19, 2015 2:16 AM

Why avoid rape? Sounds like fun

by Anonymousreply 15July 19, 2015 4:09 AM

I keep an acryllic condom in my pussy, with embedded teeth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 19, 2015 4:13 AM

I jog really early in the morning and I always see a good number of young women wandering along through dark oval/parks with their headphones in tapping away at their phones. Be aware of your environment you morons!

by Anonymousreply 17July 19, 2015 6:53 AM

When someone approaches you out of nowhere, say "Don't I know your mother?"

by Anonymousreply 18July 19, 2015 7:08 AM

I eat

by Anonymousreply 19July 19, 2015 7:46 AM

I go out without makeup.

by Anonymousreply 20July 19, 2015 4:05 PM

I wear earrings

caftans

by Anonymousreply 21February 29, 2016 4:20 AM

Don't accept any food or drink from Bill Cosby.

by Anonymousreply 22February 29, 2016 4:24 AM

If you do go out and drink make sure you are in the company of people who care about you.

by Anonymousreply 23February 29, 2016 4:28 AM

Don't go to Europe.

by Anonymousreply 24February 29, 2016 4:29 AM

I prefer struggle-snuggle.

by Anonymousreply 25February 29, 2016 4:34 AM

Not much you can do as a child, but as an adult it helps to never go off alone with someone unless you have every intention of fucking. I mean, none of this, "I only went to his room to talk", etc. Just don't allow a gray area, you never know how far someone will take it.

by Anonymousreply 26February 29, 2016 4:35 AM

as a man it's just really been a concern for me.

by Anonymousreply 27February 29, 2016 4:36 AM

I always prelube.

by Anonymousreply 28February 29, 2016 4:42 AM

Well don't assume everyone's your friend for one thing. My Aunt had a guy in the neighborhood who shovelled her snow. Did it for years. One night he broke into her house in the middle of the night to rob her, and he assaulted her. She was in her 60's. Anyone can be assaulted. Male or female. You have to be purposeful and pay attention to your surroundings when you're out walking. You have to watch where you park.

You have to avoid certain things. My cousin is home all damned day. She doesn't work. So someone tell me why she has to run to the supermarket at 10 PM to pick up lunchmeat because she forgot to get it earlier? I have run out of milk, and managed to haul my ass to the store at 7 AM to get it. When you go out with friends you have to be mindful of whether or not you're being followed when you leave, or walk through a parking lot late at night.

The main thing is pay attention to your surroundings, walk with purpose, and if you think you're being followed drive to a police station or walk into a store and ask someone to call police.If someone is following you in a car for Christ's sake do not drive home. I once jumped on a bus to avoid being robbed and the bus driver radio'd for assistance. Try to be in public areas where there are lights, people and activity, not in dark poorly lit deserted areas.Avoid parking structures.

by Anonymousreply 29February 29, 2016 4:49 AM

Being a guy has worked pretty well for me, as well as not being young and cute and sauntering through some European shitholes.

by Anonymousreply 30February 29, 2016 5:07 AM

Obviously some rapes can't be prevented. But there seem to be people who are clueless about their own safety and are missing instincts about other people.

I'm not obsessed about my safety but I take precautions and I am careful about people I let into my personal life or space.

by Anonymousreply 31February 29, 2016 5:35 AM

Ohhhhh, ANAL RAPE, ANAL RAPE, ANAL RAPE!!!

by Anonymousreply 32February 29, 2016 5:51 AM

I lived with loads of young women at one point in my life and was always stunned about how unaware some women are about person security. Staggering home drunk, leaving bedroom windows open at nigh or wandering to yoga in the dark with earphones in. The one woman I know who were raped left her door ajar so her boyfriend could come in late at night after work and not wake her up. Sure, she didn't deserve it but CLOSE THE FRONT DOOR!

by Anonymousreply 33February 29, 2016 6:13 AM

I spray them right in the eyes.

by Anonymousreply 34February 29, 2016 9:20 AM

How do you avoid a gang rape ? Especially a large group of men.

by Anonymousreply 35February 29, 2016 9:29 AM

R35, befriend a doctor and tell him to write in a paper that you are positive for HIV. Have your fake test results always in your bag, in case some gangs want to rape you. You show them the test results and they don't dare to gang bang you.

by Anonymousreply 36February 29, 2016 9:35 AM

OP, get fat, don't wear deodorant and don't shave anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 37February 29, 2016 10:07 AM

R37 that doesn't work.

by Anonymousreply 38February 29, 2016 10:27 AM

I tried dressing as Charlie Chaplin. It didn't work.

by Anonymousreply 39February 29, 2016 10:41 AM

I make sure I'm sober when I'm coming home. I don't get drunk anyway and stop at 2 drinks. I don't listen to my headphones at night or on the bus. I make sure men around me when walking home KNOW that that I am aware of where they are. I have my keys in my hand. I don't walk through deserted lots in the dark. I let friends know if I'm pulling late nights and will be in the office till the early hours, and we check in on each other. My male friends tell me in hearing of the cab drivers that they'll call me in 25 minutes.

None of these are particularly paranoid measures. This is what females do every day.

by Anonymousreply 40February 29, 2016 10:56 AM

Watch who you meet on social apps like Grindr. They had two male on male rapes in Philadelphia in the last eight months as a result of Grindr hook-ups. The perps were never caught.

by Anonymousreply 41February 29, 2016 1:35 PM

I never listen to music on headphones while I'm walking around. I can't believe anyone does. Paranoid? Maybe. I had roommate once, a few years older, who taught me how to not get mugged when I went out in DC, and "be aware" was his number one rule.

by Anonymousreply 42February 29, 2016 1:41 PM

I can't fight for shit so there is nothing stopping would-be rapists. In dangerous neighborhoods, I walk with my hand in my pocket so it looks like I have something I can pull out if need be.

by Anonymousreply 43June 10, 2020 2:31 AM

I say "I have full-blown AIDS"

by Anonymousreply 44June 10, 2020 2:38 AM

You could expect that other people ar human beings and not fucking monsters.

by Anonymousreply 45June 10, 2020 2:40 AM

Don't go to Europe.

Avoid the Eastern United States

Always drive, never walk at night.

by Anonymousreply 46June 10, 2020 2:41 AM

Just try not to be born. Problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 47June 10, 2020 2:43 AM

Don’t walk home drunk. A male friend was walking home drunk and a guy appeared from a darkened shop doorway with a baseball bat. He intended to mug him. My friend learned martial arts as a child and he flipped him. The guy gave up and ran away. That was it.

A lot of criminals are looking for an easy mark. If they’re going to get beat up, forget it. These are relatively lazy people for the most part, they’re looking for easy pickings. If they were hard workers, they’d be working for a Fortune 500 company and not raping strangers in dark alleys.

Watch your drink every second and if you have to leave to go to the bathroom, throw it away or drink it before you leave. Drugging people is common now.

Don’t walk alone at night. Take an Uber or public transportation if it’s available. Know when the train or bus comes and show up at the station right then. Don’t loiter. If you have to walk, walk fast. If they’re lazy, they’re not running after you, they’ll pick a slower one. Don’t walk near darkened corners or alleys. Walk towards the middle, not the edges.

Bring a wingman to the bar and watch out for each other. If you have a drink and start feeling too drunk too fast, or dizzy, tell somebody. Tell the bartender right when it happens, ask them to call you a cab. Ideally to a place where somebody will meet you at the curb in case you’re followed. If you think you were drugged, the bartender may be able to identify who did it if you say so right away, there’s cameras.

If you’re being followed in a car, or your Uber driver is creepy, go to the police station or the hospital. There’s tons of people at the hospital, it’s brightly lit and open all night, and there’s a security guard and often cops around. Nobody is going into a crowded emergency room on Saturday night to rape you. There’s always people, even at 3am, and if you stay until morning nobody cares.

by Anonymousreply 48June 10, 2020 3:03 AM

SHITTIEST ever bump by the 2015 Bump Troll.

by Anonymousreply 49June 10, 2020 3:14 AM

Bobby Hill has the answer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50June 10, 2020 3:17 AM

You guys are crazy if you think Europe has higher rates of rape than the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 51June 10, 2020 3:23 AM

I no longer present hole to just any Tom, Dick or Harry. He's got to buy me dinner first.

by Anonymousreply 52June 10, 2020 3:24 AM

R45 Oh, you young naive one.

by Anonymousreply 53June 10, 2020 4:42 AM

I just give in easy, then afterwards tell them I have AIDS, which is true, jokes on them.

by Anonymousreply 54June 10, 2020 4:49 AM

I have become an UFO---Ugly Fat and Old.

by Anonymousreply 55June 10, 2020 4:51 AM

R43, why the hell did you feel the need to bump this four-year-old thread?

by Anonymousreply 56June 10, 2020 4:52 AM

r43 is the Five-Year-Bump troll.

by Anonymousreply 57June 10, 2020 4:55 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!