Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

trailer for "Do I Sound Gay?"

New documentary about Gay Voice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 2, 2020 2:46 PM

It's easy to change your voice. Changing your body movements is much harder.

by Anonymousreply 1July 17, 2015 3:25 PM

See also the film's official site for another trailer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 17, 2015 3:25 PM

This navel gazing crap is getting slaughtered in the reviews. Should have never gotten a theatrical release.

by Anonymousreply 3July 17, 2015 3:26 PM

It's funny. Most of us on DL sound gay whether we're speaking or typing.

by Anonymousreply 4July 17, 2015 3:29 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 5July 18, 2015 2:07 AM

Seeing it with a friend this weekend. Also hoping to see Robin Williams' "Boulevard".

by Anonymousreply 6July 18, 2015 2:25 AM

A friend from a former life sounded perfectly normal in one on one conversations, but if we went to a gay party (all gay men) or to a gay bar, his voice went up by an octive or two, and went all sing-songy, and was totally "gay voice". It was COMPLETELY fake and affected. 'HEEEEYYYYYYYY GUUUUURLLLLL!' and all that crap.

I never understood why he did that. I've never done that. It's so weird to me.

by Anonymousreply 7July 18, 2015 2:34 AM

Gay men need voice lessons

by Anonymousreply 8July 18, 2015 2:37 AM

Thought the movie was pretty good, but it didn't really explain much .......... is it who you hung out with as a kid ? is it who you hang out with as a gay adult ? I had a hard time 'recognizing' some of the 'gay voices' (and, trust me, I have one !) ........... they said that studies show that only 60 % of the time is a man identified correctly as gay or straight based on his voice. There were a couple straight guys included that had a 'gay voice'.

The director guy went through a whole process to try and change his voice and ultimately comes to the conclusion that it really doesn't matter (although heavily acknowledging the 'no femme' stuff within the gay community)

Had a lot of 'heavy hitters' contributing .......Tim Gunn, George Takei, David Sedaris, Margaret Cho, Dan Savage.

I'd recommend it as a matinee or an on demand flick.

by Anonymousreply 9July 19, 2015 11:28 PM

R9 I think we subconsciously adopt the speaking patterns of women.

by Anonymousreply 10July 2, 2020 2:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!