Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Capitol Hill Democrats Wish Hillary Clinton Was President Already

Pining for a president who listens after years of Obama, Democrats on the Hill are ready for Hillary.

Hillary Clinton had a targeted mission on Capitol Hill Tuesday.

As the former secretary of State shuffled between half a dozen meetings in the House and Senate, Clinton intended to give Democratic members of Congress a candid glimpse not just of her agenda, but of how she might interact with her allies in Congress if she were their president.

After more than six years living with the Obama administration, which has often been blasted for relying on Democrats on the Hill only in the 11th hour of crucial negotiations, members leaped at the chance to have the ear of a former colleague and potential future president. Clinton came ready to listen.

"I have never had a relationship with President Obama to speak of. I have had a relationship with President Clinton and first lady Clinton and then Secretary Clinton," Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia said.

Clinton met Tuesday with the House Democratic Caucus, Senate Democrats, the Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus, the Congressional Hispanic Caucus, the Congressional Black Caucus, and the Congressional Progressive Caucus. At each meeting, she came ready with extensive knowledge of their priorities.

During her more than hour-long lunch with Senate Democrats, Clinton found time to deliver brief remarks endorsing the Obama administration's historic nuclear deal with Iran, but she was more interested in taking advice and questions.

She engaged in a back-and-forth on the growing prescription-drug epidemic with Manchin and tried to brainstorm ways that senators and her campaign could work together during the 2016 election.

Sen. Tim Kaine of Virginia said Sen. Jon Tester, who leads the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, asked Clinton to "think extra special" about how her message might affect lawmakers on the ballot in 2016.

"There are warm, warm feelings in that room for her," Kaine said. "She knows she is going to be running in 2016 when there are a whole bunch of competitive Senate races, and she said, 'I want to campaign with ya. I want to be standing on a stage with ya, and if you do that, you'll help me, and if I do that, I'll help you.' ... There was a very nice teamwork message that was part of the speech today."

In contrast to the way the current administration often handles Hill business, Clinton didn't explicitly ask for support nor did she simply run through her agenda. The meetings were intended to show members she was not disconnected, but rather up to date with what they were working on.

"She's so informed about everyone's bills that it's kind of refreshing," Sen. Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota told National Journal. "She would refer to people all the time. … She must have referenced 10 different senators in relation to different bills and things they were working on. It was pretty impressive."

Sen. Brian Schatz of Hawaii said he also was impressed with Clinton's command of the issues and who was the expert on what, talking directly with senators on issues that deeply concern them and their constituents. "She was able to talk to Joe Manchin about coal country, she was able to talk to Martin Heinrich about climate, and to Ben Cardin about foreign affairs," Schatz said. "She has those relationships, and she has that understanding of the system that I think gives us confidence that maybe she'll help us to make the system work a little better."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 20, 2020 3:33 PM

(cont.)

Clinton, unlike Obama, has the advantage of a long history in Washington. And that, many lawmakers say, will give her the edge when it comes to building support for her agenda.

"She has genuine friendships with members of the Senate that are very rare. Put aside the relationship President Obama had with Congress. As a matter of personality and style, she is genuinely a person who reaches out and wants to engage people," said Sen. Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut.

Many of the Democratic members Clinton met with are already lining up behind her campaign, but her attentiveness to legislators only made them more committed.

"There's nobody smarter, more experienced, more passionate—man or woman—running for president of the United States than Hillary Clinton. She would be a terrific president," said Sen. Debbie Stabenow of Michigan.

Clinton even assured members that she would follow up on the issues that came up in their private meetings.

In a discussion with the Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus that ran roughly 30 minutes, the conversation turned from the appointment of Asian Pacific Islanders in high-ranking federal positions, to immigration reform, to Filipino veterans and more. Clinton assured members she would have her policy staff follow up.

"Secretary Clinton was very receptive. She actually had quite a bit of familiarity with the issues," Rep. Judy Chu of California, the caucus chairwoman, told National Journal after the meeting. "She pledged to continue working with us, and in fact said that we would be meeting with her policy team very soon."

But Clinton's visit was not just straight policy. She did not shy away from showing a more personal side with members than she has often done on the campaign trail. Comfortable with her audience during her first meeting with House Democrats, Clinton recounted a revelation she had about immigration and family. She said she had volunteered through a church to babysit the children of farm workers and was reminded of what unites everyone when she watched the children running toward their parents when they'd arrive home.

"She realized we are all alike," Rep. Maxine Waters of California recalled Clinton saying. "There is no difference between the children of farm hands and myself."

Rep. Raúl Grijalva of Arizona said the story exemplifies how strong Clinton can be as a candidate.

"I think sometimes in these manufactured campaigns that we see these days, you don't get to see that very human side. It was good to see," he said.

During a meeting with members of the Congressional Black Caucus, Clinton described how her mother, growing up in the 1920s, would attend school with scant food, and how the teacher would share her personal food with Clinton's mother. It was an anecdote that Rep. G.K. Butterfield of North Carolina called "touching," and one that speaks to issues close to the Congressional Black Caucus: poverty and food insecurity.

And once again, Clinton was up to speed with what the Congressional Black Caucus was invested in. She highlighted the 10-20-30 plan, which recommends that at least 10 percent of certain federal funds go toward areas that have had a poverty rate of 20 percent for the last 30 years.

"She was very well-briefed on 10-20-30," Butterfield said. "We have a pledge from Mrs. Clinton that she, if elected president, will work untiringly to address the question of poverty."

Clinton may not be in the White House yet, but her command of Congress left many Democrats on Capitol Hill hoping she'll get there soon.

by Anonymousreply 1July 16, 2015 10:45 PM

By next year November 11, 2016!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 20, 2015 6:20 AM

Too bad those pesky voters got in the way.

by Anonymousreply 3August 20, 2020 7:01 AM

Problem with Hillary is the same as withJoe. Their actual policies are similar to GOP. But too many Americans view candidates more on emotions than on fact. In '16 she had no real platform, except "I'm better than Trump". She had a tough time attracting ppl to her rallies and avoided press. Anyone. should have been able to beat Trump easily.

After it was leaked her own party said she was a tainted candidate- 50/50 odds against Cruz and also revealed they were colluding with the press, her response was "Blame the messenger".

Review: She voted for Iraq war, and against Pentagon advise, urged Obama to bomb the crap out of Libya. This lead to chaos weak borders for terrorist to smash thru and the current slave trade. After she left she doubled down and encouraged Obama to bomb Syria more aggressively! Honduran activist Berta Caceres pointed to Clinton as the architect of the Honduran coup shortly before she was assassinated.

She basically supports all US imperialism, like Biden. Including arms sales to Saudi Arabia! Foreign policy like GOP. The cost has been money and lives and the worst humanitarian crisis today. Also planting a puppet govt in Ukraine and stirring them into war- a whole other story.

She tried to bully the Bulgarians into accepting fracking 2x despite their protests and her public stand against it. Then there's Wall Street money. Anti M4A. She and Biden support the Crime Bill and privatized prisons which have reduced many African Americans to life long free labor. And a record number incarcerated. I won't even go into the Clinton Foundation and corruption there.

See they're too similar to Republicans when they get into office. And that includes Harris too. Americans don't pay attention to what's really important.

by Anonymousreply 4August 20, 2020 8:15 AM

R4, I actually partially agree with a lot of what you wrote. The problem is Donald has no real policy other than whatever Sims-like whim pops up in his head. The Right has used him as a shield for for their divisive tactics but even they are realizing that if he implodes the country what do they have to gain?

by Anonymousreply 5August 20, 2020 9:09 AM

R3 is the 2015 bump troll.

by Anonymousreply 6August 20, 2020 10:34 AM

She should have been.

by Anonymousreply 7August 20, 2020 11:47 AM

"I have never had a relationship with President Obama to speak of."

This was Obama's major failing. He refused to engage with congressional members of his own party. Several Democrats (such as Jane Harman) pleaded on MSNBC to Obama to reach out to congress in his second term. Didn't happen. Oh well.

by Anonymousreply 8August 20, 2020 11:55 AM

R3 is the Bump Troll and very conveniently R4 the anti-Democratic Party Troll was right here, ready to post at length about how HRC and Biden are both exactly the same as Republicans, and no one should vote for them.

This is why DL needs some kind of even cursory moderation. This working the crowd bullshit is going to get worse as we get closer to the election.

by Anonymousreply 9August 20, 2020 12:15 PM

As a member of the crowd, I am defiantly unworked r9.

You are correct that it is bullshit and that it will get worse.

by Anonymousreply 10August 20, 2020 12:18 PM

Why would you have to be pro Trump to be anti Hillary? The record itself should alarm Democrats.. Its like saying all the people who protested Johnson and called him a war criminal were pro Richard Nixon. This country needs to pay attention to the issues again not the party. Trump only could have happened bc the DNC ran an incredibly shitty candidate.

I don't know if people who don't see this are genuinely naive of facts, don't care about facts or just trolls.

by Anonymousreply 11August 20, 2020 3:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!