Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Caitlyn Jenner's Espy Speech

Excerpt transcribed by Bustle:

[quote]“Thank you so much, it is so wonderful to be here tonight. Now, the last few months have been a whirlwind of so many different experiences and emotions, but to tell you the truth, it seems like every time I turn around in life, I’m putting myself in these high pressure situations, competing in the games, raising a family. But I’ve never felt more pressure than I ever have in my life than the last couple of months….picking out this outfit. OK girls, I get it. You gotta get the shoes, the hair, the makeup, the whole process. It was exhausting, and next, the fashion police. Please be kind to me, I’m new at this. Anyway…

[quote]Well, the real truth is that just before a few months ago, I had never met anybody else who was trans, who was like me. I’d never met a trans person, ever. As you just saw, I dealt with my situation on my own, in private, and that turned this journey into an already incredible education. It’s been eye opening, inspiring, but also frightening. All across this country right now, all across the world at this very moment, there are young people coming to terms with being transgender. They are learning that they’re different and they are trying to figure out how to handle that, on top of every other problem that a teenager has. They’re getting bullied, they’re getting beaten up, they’re getting murdered, and they’re committing suicide.

[quote]It’s the power of the spotlight…but with attention comes responsibility. As a group, as athletes, how you conduct your lives, what you say, what you do, is absorbed and observed by millions of people, especially young people. I know what my mission is. To tell my story the right way, for me. To keep learning. To do whatever I can to reshape the landscape of how trans people are viewed, how trans people are treated, and more broadly, to promote a very simple idea: accepting people for who they are. Accepting people’s differences. My plea to you tonight is to join me in making this one of your issues as well.

[quote]Trans people deserve something vital — they deserve your respect. And from that respect comes a more compassionate community, a more empathetic society, and a better world for all of us.

It was a very nice speech. Lauren Hill and Devon Still are two people who actually embodied the spirit of the Arthur Ashe Award, but at least they were still recognized.

We didn't need another Caitlyn post, but many DLers have said they didn't watch, so now's their chance at the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70June 17, 2020 3:04 PM

And the LA Times article about the award from yesterday.

[quote]Is Caitlyn Jenner the wrong honoree for ESPYs' courage award?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 16, 2015 4:01 PM

It was a good speech but Brett Favre's face in the audience said it all, Caitlyn was not the best person for the award - and this doesn't make me anti-trans, it means as a sports fan, I think this is BS and other people were a better representation of what the award is about.

by Anonymousreply 2July 16, 2015 4:49 PM

The Washington Post has a transcript of the whole speech & the video.

[quote]“You know, it is an honor to have the word ‘courage’ associated with my life. But tonight another word comes to mind and that is fortunate. I owe a lot to sports. It has shown me the world, it has given me an identity. If someone wanted to bully me, well, you know what? I was the MVP of the football team. That wasn’t going to be a problem. And the same thing goes tonight. If you want to call me names, make jokes, doubt my intentions, go ahead, because the reality is I can take it. But for the thousands of kids out there who are coming to terms with being true to who they are, they shouldn’t have to take it. (applause.)

I thought this part was interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 16, 2015 4:59 PM

It's not the "fortunate" award. Leah Still's story moved me as did Danielle Green and Lauren Hill. People squaking about it being anti trans to say Caitlyn isn't deserving of the award should take a long look at the people who would have received the award if Caitlyn hadn't swooped in a few months ago.

by Anonymousreply 4July 16, 2015 5:13 PM

That speech is bizarre.

Cracking a joke about how women have pressure on them to choose the right outfit? Har-dee-har-har.

He's never met a trans person until a few months ago? How is that possible? Taking aside his own journey, this is someone who has been living in the reality/entertainment world... how do you live in that world and never meet a trans person? He's either lying or this tells you a little something about just how sheltered and conservative his world really is. How did he decide to transition if he had never met a trans person til a few months ago? He was already taking hormones in the 80s... you can get that without any type of counseling that includes meeting a trans person?!

by Anonymousreply 5July 16, 2015 5:28 PM

And remember, if you're wealthy and white enough, no matter what your gender, you too can murder someone with your car and get away with it.

by Anonymousreply 6July 16, 2015 5:31 PM

She's a fucking Republican. So long as she supports a party that endorses the legal discrimination and social brutality that destroy queer lives and are leading queer kids to suicide in unforgivable numbers, Caitlyn Jenner can kiss my faggot ass. I don't care what she says, who she name-checks, and how many tears she sheds in front of an audience of her rich egotist peers.

by Anonymousreply 7July 16, 2015 6:31 PM

There are three Caitlyn/ESPY threads so I don't know where to post this blind item.

[quote]While everyone was publicly smiling and very accepting of one of the featured recipients at the ESPY Awards, the unofficial chatter of those in attendance was quite the opposite!

[quote]There were a number of things that people were unhappy about. One prominent athlete was shaking his head and named a female athlete who he thought was more deserving of the award. Another was annoyed that the honoree “brought the plastic circus to town” with them.

[quote]Another was asked to be photographed with the honoree. He refused, saying that he didn’t want to “be part of their publicity stunt.” Another was whispering about how the award was “bought and paid for” and how it “takes the shine off” the event.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 16, 2015 10:44 PM

I'd never heard Caitlyn speak until I saw a clip of that speech. She's got Talulah Bankhead's voice... but not her wit.

by Anonymousreply 9July 17, 2015 2:08 AM

I agree with previous posters who did not agree with C getting the award. Years of feminism attempted to rducate people that women are MORE than makeup, the body and the right clothes.

C is not a woman. A man of fucking incredible privilege who decided to take his journey publicly so he could save the world.

If he was truly a compassionate person who cared for his brood of overexposed twits, he would have quietly gone to another country for his "transition" so his kids would not have it shoved in their faces.

He wanted a Circus and sadly, people call him a hero for it,

by Anonymousreply 10July 17, 2015 3:14 AM

R10 +1000.

Very well stated.

by Anonymousreply 11July 17, 2015 3:21 AM

Gay people and Fraus very obviously hate transgenders. So much for an LGBT "community."

by Anonymousreply 12July 17, 2015 4:14 AM

I liked the speech. Very thoughtful towards the suffering. It wasn't all about Caitlyn.

Many gays and lesbians look trans to me and to the outside world, so I for one am thrilled to see a big, broad-shouldered beauty of a woman!

by Anonymousreply 13July 17, 2015 4:19 AM

He was a man when he was an athlete. So they honour Caitlyn who was never an athlete as a woman. Yippee!

by Anonymousreply 14July 17, 2015 4:20 AM

And Caitlyn said "Trans," not transsexual--meaning anyone who is non-conformist gender-appearing.

Bravo!

by Anonymousreply 15July 17, 2015 4:22 AM

The guy is walking around with a dick and running around in a dress

When Milton Berle did it he wasn't asking to be taken seriously. Anybody who has anything good to say about this joker is an imbecile.

by Anonymousreply 16July 17, 2015 4:25 AM

If Caitlyn can be respected for her appearance choice then gays and lesbians should have it much easier.

by Anonymousreply 17July 17, 2015 4:27 AM

Bruce Jenner as Charley's Aunt.

He should have finished with Once In Love With Amy.

In solidarity everyone could join in the repeat.

by Anonymousreply 18July 17, 2015 3:35 PM

D.L. Hughley thinks Caitlyn Jenner "looks like every P.E. teacher I ever had," and says she wouldn't have been his choice to receive the ESPYs' Arthur Ashe Courage Award simply because she "put on a dress."

But he doesn't consider that bashing.

"I think that it's named after Arthur Ashe," the comic said of the award, speaking to a TMZ videographer Thursday on a New York Street. "Arthur Ashe from Richmond, Virginia, a symbol of courage. He fought [a] segregated South, a very segregated profession, he fought AIDS with dignity and honor, and Caitlyn Jenner put on a dress. I don't think it's the same thing."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 17, 2015 6:25 PM

R12, add "radical" feminists to your list, too.

That's pretty much all women: fraus, lesbians and radfems.

What does that tell you? Anything?

The women that you want to be reject you and there's nothing you can do about it.

by Anonymousreply 20July 17, 2015 7:52 PM

[quote]Years of feminism attempted to rducate people that women are MORE than makeup, the body and the right clothes

I'm not a Jenner fan, but it's absolutely ludicrous that you're trying to make the case that she's harming feminist ideals.

by Anonymousreply 21July 17, 2015 8:20 PM

The entire media-supported movement is harming feminist ideals, R21. The trans movement is full of gender essentialism, and you can go to any trans blog, any individual trans journal, see any trans public speaker on any level (i.e. just a few followers to someone who gets national attention) and see these transwomen talking repeatedly about their own glamorous appearance. Many of these same people say they are better than bio-women, or at least look better than bio-women.

The media follows suit, treating transwomen like great new models for their clothes, hair, makeup, etc.

Now, if transwomen are just like any other woman, then they are representing women, and we should approach their treatment in the media as such. And the media only cares about transwomen if they're famous and glammed up 24/7. It's sexist, but it's sexist in a way that the trans movement WANTS. This is how the trans movement wants transwomen to be presented in the media, but they don't have to deal with the criticism that bio-women get from both feminists and anti-feminists. They're trans. It's a "get out of jail free" card for them.

For now. I think a backlash is imminent, especially since Jenner is being called out for essentially buying the award for herself. Deals are done, sure, but a deal for, say, some whatever entertainment award is different than a deal for a humanitarian award.

by Anonymousreply 22July 17, 2015 8:33 PM

The fact that Disney owns ABC and ESPN, and the fact that there was insider who claimed there was a quid-pro-quo deal (Sawyer interview for an ESPY) and the fact that the parent company is now claiming 'conspiracy theory!' all pretty much confirm something shady went on.

This is how the media works now, to advance its own corporate interests. Another example: my local news affiliates covered Scott Walker's lame campaign stop where he stood on a pickup truck in front of about 30 people. They have not covered AT ALL Bernie Sanders' campaign stops where he keeps attracting people across the spectrum.

Reason is simple: media is run by and owned by republicans and they advance their own agenda rather than reflecting the actual news on the ground, at least as far as politics goes. The way they did in Howard Dean and none of their lackeys questioned it is another glaring example from that playbook.

The fact that Caitlyn is a republican dovetails nicely with the gameplan.

by Anonymousreply 23July 17, 2015 10:30 PM

Oh GOOD GRIEF what in the hell is the big deal about all of this??

You'd think the Apocalypse was bearing down on us all simply because he wears a dress and heels!

Who cares!

So what!

And I like that he is standing up for all of the weirdos--why does it offend you so much that Caitlyn's speech alerted the world to gay and trans bashing--shouldn't you all be against assaults?

You people remind me of the hysterics that blather on and on about reptilians that control the world and have secret meetings---get over it!

by Anonymousreply 24July 17, 2015 10:45 PM

God, I wish this disgusting famewhore would go away. He is and always will be a man.

by Anonymousreply 25July 17, 2015 10:48 PM

I wish he would just go away. I don't hate him or anything. I'm just tired of his droopy ass.

by Anonymousreply 26July 17, 2015 10:52 PM

R21, no it's not.

by Anonymousreply 27July 17, 2015 10:53 PM

R24...you know that women don't want transwomen in their restrooms.

You know that gender nonconforming kids are being encouraged to block their puberty and brain development for a lie.

You know that is homophobic.

Transgirls can complete in girls sports and join girls scouts. Transwomen got MichFest shut down.

There's nowhere women can be away from bio makes now.

Womanhood has been colonized. Homosexuality is being eradicated.

This is a big deal. And it's insane. History will prove it.

by Anonymousreply 28July 17, 2015 10:57 PM

really? there are millions of mtf lurking in the bathrooms, and children everywhere must have hormone therapy?

I say it's such a tiny contingent that it's almost no threat, in reality. And screw the Girl Scouts.

Too bad about Michfest but it seems to me that it's demise was partly over the exhorbenant fees that priced many of the women out of the party. Michfest didn't end because of trans, it ended because it required work duty AND a high ticket price. That's a bad business model, especially when half the attendees have some kind of disability.

There are wierdo, dangeorus trans and there are sweet, kindly trans and some in between.

to label an entire group as dangerous and powerful is strange.

by Anonymousreply 29July 17, 2015 11:29 PM

Nope, r29...it is the truth.

Autogynphilia is dangerous to women. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 30July 17, 2015 11:31 PM

People are acting as if this is the Nobel Prize and Jenner is the wrong recipient.

It's the fucking ESPYs- who cares who won? We'll forget within the week

by Anonymousreply 31July 17, 2015 11:54 PM

"Okay girls"? Why do so many MTFs trivialize womanhood? Being a woman has *nothing* to do with heels, flats, make-up or even long hair. This is all so incredibly superficial and I know very few women out of their teens who spend a ton of time stressing about it. Some enjoy fashion, some don't, but fashion and make-up don't determine your gender.

As a woman, I am really getting tired of transgender types trying to dictate what we're supposed to be. I don't think Caitlyn Jenner is trying to be offensive, but s/he really does come from a very male-centered view. (And then there's that lulu who wrote the crazy post about straight guys preferring trans women--i.e. a guy's view of how women should think and behave.) And, oh boy, if you disagree--the outrage, the shaming, the accusations. Watch one of Slate's writers try to shame Bob Costas for Costas gently suggesting that someone else besides Jenner might have deserved the ESPY award (Lauren Hill being a fine example).

Enough with the censorship and dictating of terms.

by Anonymousreply 32July 18, 2015 12:14 AM

WTF???!!!

Who is "dictating" to you what you are supposed to be??!!!

No one.

No mtf is ordering you around--and so what if they want to dress up---Good LORD get a hobby!

by Anonymousreply 33July 18, 2015 12:22 AM

This is still a gay site, right? You sound like all the redneck sports fans who are using this as an excuse to fly their flags of trans- and homophobia. AND IT'S A FUCKING ESPY AWARD. Who the fuck cares?

by Anonymousreply 34July 18, 2015 12:27 AM

Sweetie--MTFs have done their best to shut down all sorts of dialogue--MichFest was just the latest in a long line. The only reason why it's not a bigger issue is that the Trans community is small. But the loudmouth segment of it is truly obnoxious--and incredibly unsupportive of women and the very serious issues of discrimination we still continue to face.

So quit being disingenuous--you know what I'm talking about.

by Anonymousreply 35July 18, 2015 12:31 AM

R35, yes, I do, but I also know that there are mtf pro-women activists--you lie when you say they are all dangerous, or crazy!

I have met and worked with some nice trans, so don't deny me my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 36July 18, 2015 12:34 AM

But I didn't say they were all dangerous or crazy. That's an excellent example, however, of how the distortion and shutdown of dialogue happens.

I said they were unsupportive and there was an obnoxious, loud-mouthed segment. It's nice you've met some supportive ones--though are you really in a position to know?

But, anyway, you deliberately distorted my objections into something extreme--makes it easier to feel self-righteous, no doubt. See, excellent example of "outrage" and "shaming"--with the intention that I'll either fluster around trying to defend myself, spew something truly ugly or go off. What we won't get is a genuine discussion about the techniques used by various trans activists to squelch debate.

by Anonymousreply 37July 18, 2015 12:43 AM

R37, the loud, obnoxious segment are mentally ill. We all see that. There ARE crazy, dangerous trans out there. There are rapists, murdrers, and fucking weirdos.

And there are some very cool ones too.

by Anonymousreply 38July 18, 2015 12:47 AM

I don't see any "cool" ones trying to address the inherent sexism of the majority of aggressive psycho ones.

by Anonymousreply 39July 18, 2015 12:57 AM

And what is your opinion of Sharia Law?

by Anonymousreply 40July 18, 2015 1:03 AM

[quote] don't see any "cool" ones trying to address the inherent sexism of the majority of aggressive psycho ones.

You can say the same about the "cool" Orthodox Jews, Muslims, and Christian fundies

by Anonymousreply 41July 18, 2015 1:11 AM

I don't know how you could say an Olympic athlete is "the wrong person to win a sports award." Unless you have some other bias against that person.

by Anonymousreply 42July 18, 2015 1:13 AM

Will it diminish the award further when her show is over and the media moves on, for her to change back into a guy and marry some young trophy wife?

by Anonymousreply 43July 18, 2015 1:23 AM

R42, Jenner is the wrong person to win [italic]this particular award[/italic]. Do you know anything about the other people who were considered for the award before her announcement? Lauren Hill was an amazing person and what she did took a lot of strength and courage. She literally fought for her life, fulfilled her dream and raised cancer awareness before she passed away. She deserved more than the "best moment" award.

[quote]People squaking about it being anti trans to say Caitlyn isn't deserving of the award should take a long look at the people who would have received the award if Caitlyn hadn't swooped in a few months ago.

Lauren Hill would have received the award had Caitlyn not made her announcement a few months ago, this is nothing against Jenner or the trans community, it's about what the award used to represent. Anyone who doesn't know Lauren Hill's story should educate themselves.

by Anonymousreply 44July 18, 2015 2:00 AM

[quote]Lauren Hill, the utterly courageous 19-year-old woman who battled inoperable brain cancer while playing basketball for Mount St. Joseph’s.

Before she died in April, Hill had achieved a dream of her own, scoring the first and last basket when Mount St. Joseph’s defeated Hiram College 66-55 on November 2014. The courageous young woman, knowing she wouldn’t survive, decided to use her notoriety to raise money for cancer research; by last November, she had raised $1 million for DIPC Cancer Research.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45July 18, 2015 2:06 AM

Lauren Hill DID get an award at the ESPYs. I believe the Arthur Ashe Award is reserved for pro athletes. But I could be wrong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46July 18, 2015 2:10 AM

I know, I said she deserved better than the "Best Moment" Award, it was more than a mere moment.

by Anonymousreply 47July 18, 2015 2:13 AM

The award isn't reserved for professional athletes only.

by Anonymousreply 48July 18, 2015 2:18 AM

I thought Jenner was an amateur -- Olympics.

by Anonymousreply 49July 18, 2015 2:20 AM

Poor Arthur Ashe must be spinning in his grave like a fucking top. He's probably three quarters of the way to China by now!

by Anonymousreply 50July 18, 2015 2:24 AM

What's next on Bruce's agenda? Soliciting corporate sponsors for the First Annual Transgender Olympics? He can start with the Kardashisn and the Trump Empires.

Events will include:

1. 10K High Heel Run

2. 5K Ankle Lenght Pencil Skirt Run

3. Curling Iron and Flat Iron Toss

4. Sequined Flip Flop High Jump

5. High Heels Sneaker Long Jump

6. Bikini, Evening Gown, and Hot Pants Competitions

by Anonymousreply 51July 18, 2015 2:38 AM

I thought the Ashe Ward was given to a person for a sports related accomplishment. If Jenner wasn't such a self absorbed Kardashian Style fame whore, he would have respectfully declined the award. That little four year old girl with cancer, the daughter of an NFL player was even far more deserving than Jenner.

I find Jenner totally appalling and disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 52July 18, 2015 2:46 AM

R42 now there's a mild example of the tactics used to shut down real discussion. You claim that anyone who opposed Jenner getting the ESPY award could only do so out of some "bias" against Jenner, when, in fact, there was a young admirable athlete who played and raised a million bucks for a cancer charity while knowing she had a terminal diagnosis. At 19.

How is thinking Lauren Hill was the more deserving recipient of the two automatically a sign of bias? Did you even bother to find out about Lauren Hill before deciding that anyone who opposed Jenner getting the award must be biased?

R37, what R39 says. I'd be happy if someone from the trans community expressed serious concerns about, say, putting kids on puberty-blocking drugs and diagnosing very young children as trans when there are any number of reasons for a child to be gender-nonconforming. I'd be so much happier to the trans community support gender-nonconforming kids without trying to push that kid into a box. I'd be much happier if people in the trans community acknowledged the existence of borderline personality disorder, which can result in people who have a confused sense of gender identity, but who are really poor candidates for transitioning (and are also tragically prone to suicidal ideation).

by Anonymousreply 53July 18, 2015 3:36 AM

Another vote for Lauren Hill. She is a real hero.

Jenner is no woman, he's just an ugly cunt.

by Anonymousreply 54July 18, 2015 5:03 AM

As a gay man, I do not, and I never have, looked down on the transgender community. It was stated up thread that "fraus and gays hate the transgender". I'm appalled at some of the comments here and ask that those who likewise do not deign to judge others for their orientation to FF the crap out of those who do.

Please join me. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 55July 18, 2015 5:05 AM

R6 OJ Simpson is white?

by Anonymousreply 56July 20, 2015 10:43 PM

Notoriety? Learn what the word means.

by Anonymousreply 57July 20, 2015 10:45 PM

R52, if they gave the Ashe Award for being the sick kid of an athlete, that's all who would ever get it. You think she's the first/only one? She's just the only one who's been pimped out to such an extent.

by Anonymousreply 58July 20, 2015 11:09 PM

I was 'outta there' when I started watching the video as soon as Caitlyn started with the 'challenging past few months' and proceeded into '.... picking this dress. I get it girls ....'

Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 59July 21, 2015 12:25 AM

From the waist down Jenner is still all Bruce.

Why did they call it the Arthur Ashe award? Didn't Christine Jorgenson do it first?

by Anonymousreply 60July 21, 2015 12:35 AM

Is Bruce back on estrogen ? His voice in that video didn't seem particularly different or more feminine (for the one minute I watched)

by Anonymousreply 61July 21, 2015 12:37 AM

wow!

by Anonymousreply 62July 21, 2015 12:38 AM

Bruce Jenner is just a media whore attempting to keep up with the Kartrashians.

by Anonymousreply 63July 21, 2015 12:48 AM

She's not a role model. Her rich white male privilege allowed her to put on women's clothes and while I'm sure he went through some mental anguish, it was nothing compared to what poor transgender folks have to put up with...for Caitlyn, it's a cakewalk.

by Anonymousreply 64July 21, 2015 2:06 AM

R55 he's got a dick and balls between his legs. He's a man in a dress. What about this can you not understand? I could put on lederhosen and claim I'm Austrian instead of a wop from Jersey.

This does not make me an Austrian. I honestly cannot understand how you people think. Believe it or not whatever I claim to be I'm still a wop from Jersey.

He wants his male sexuality yet want to be a role model for transsexuals and you people think it's worthy of admiration. Ok.

by Anonymousreply 65July 24, 2015 12:20 PM

Women don't produce sperm R55.

Bruce is getting an award for being a crossdresser and he's never had to lip-synch for his life.

That is privilege.

by Anonymousreply 66July 24, 2015 1:45 PM

Just glad my girl Ronda Rousey won for Best Female Athlete--beating out Serena Williams. If anyone's a tranny under that skirt, it's Serena! Oy vey.

by Anonymousreply 67October 14, 2015 11:15 PM

R65, will you marry me?

by Anonymousreply 68October 14, 2015 11:19 PM

It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again.

by Anonymousreply 69October 15, 2015 12:40 AM

The decadent phase of the empire.

by Anonymousreply 70June 17, 2020 3:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!