Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A sad day... FAO Schwarz closes

One of my favorite movies growing up was Big, staring Tom Hanks. I loved the scenes from this store, and many years later I got to visit, play the piano, and drink an unbelievably large milkshake on the first floor. I'll be returning to NY soon and am kind of sad that it'll be gone.

Anyone care to share their memories of this store?

by Anonymousreply 12September 6, 2020 12:53 AM

Next the internet came for the toy stores.

by Anonymousreply 1July 15, 2015 8:49 PM

If only you had been BUYING toys instead of just VISITING, it'd still be open. Although it had become a sad old dinosaur.

by Anonymousreply 2July 15, 2015 8:51 PM

I think every single resident of NYC and 80% of all the tourists could have walked out of their with an armload of purchases, and it still would not be enough to make the new rent.

by Anonymousreply 3July 15, 2015 8:55 PM

[quote] Although it had become a sad old dinosaur.

An overpriced dinosaur, no doubt.

Always reminded me of that episode of "Three's Company" when Chrissy bought that giant stuffed giraffe. Stuffed animals should never cost you three figures.

by Anonymousreply 4July 15, 2015 8:59 PM

Funny earlier today I was posting on the '77 blackout thread. Yes NYC was an economic mess, but it was full of stores that were family owned as well as small businesses. It wasn't all overpriced, though maybe it got that way after I was a kid (or after Big) but that catalog and Christmas went hand in hand.

Now Russian money is building so high around the corner it's blocking light from the park.

by Anonymousreply 5July 15, 2015 9:03 PM

I loved 'Big' growing up, too; and in fact I caught it again on TV only last week. It's still a great film. I'm from the UK and never got to see the store in real life. Such a shame it's gone. I would say about 99% of all the places I knew as a kid have either been redeveloped beyond recognition, sold off or knocked down altogether. And that's only in the space of 30 years.

by Anonymousreply 6July 15, 2015 9:32 PM

It was a store that catered to snooty rich people and snooty rich people are holding on to their money these days. When Apple store became their neighbor, I knew their time was up. It's a new generation and children want to snuggle with their ipod, not some allergenic, stuffed "FAO Schwarz" bear.

by Anonymousreply 7July 15, 2015 9:47 PM

It's been owned by Toys R Us for years. If they wanted to keep it open, they could have. Most likely they will be reopen in another location that's cheaper.

by Anonymousreply 8July 15, 2015 9:50 PM

Toys R Us is no beacon of economic wisdom. They'll be next (again).

by Anonymousreply 9July 15, 2015 9:54 PM

Toys R Us is leaving Times Square thanks to greedy landlords.

by Anonymousreply 10July 15, 2015 9:58 PM

r10, NO!! love the coaster there

by Anonymousreply 11July 15, 2015 10:15 PM

R7 Do you have to shit on everything, negative Nancy?

by Anonymousreply 12September 6, 2020 12:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!