Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What's wrong with buying counterfeit?

I understand how buying a counterfeit CD or DVD will take money from the creators.

But, buying a counterfeit Chanel purse or Rolex watch doesn't take money from the companies because the people buying the counterfeits on purpose wouldn't have bought the real thing anyway.

by Anonymousreply 37March 28, 2021 3:41 AM

Used to love going to Chinatown in NYC to buy counterfeit watches, ties, CDs, etc when I was in high school.

Sadly, it's all been cleaned up now, except for the few people on the street of whisper, "want a watch or purse?"

by Anonymousreply 1July 15, 2015 3:52 PM

I have no problem with people buying counterfeit if they choose to, but I hate people who sell knock-offs as the genuine article and rip people off.

by Anonymousreply 2July 15, 2015 4:05 PM

I think that a big part of why the companies hate counterfeits is that it cheapens their image. We have all seen the folks with Chanel purses or LV bags and you just know its fake. Personally, I would only have these items if I could afford them and if I thought they were really worth it. The few things that I do own which are original I mostly regret buying because I was really just trying to look like I was more affluent than I really was. Now that I am more affluent, I don't really care that much for designer stuff.

by Anonymousreply 3July 15, 2015 4:38 PM

I has a friend who worked at the counterfeit crackdown unit of Chanel. She told me that, often, the companies contracted by Chanel to make these bags just continue making them past the number for Chanel. The extra bags, which are of the same quality as the official Chanel bags are sold to those who peddle in counterfeit goods.

In fact, when they would do a raid, they would have to take the bags back to the office to check if the numbers matched. If they didn't, they were counterfeit.

There are, of course, lower quality bags also peddled as true Chanel.

by Anonymousreply 4July 15, 2015 4:46 PM

the city doesn't get the taxes from the sales of counterfeits.

by Anonymousreply 5July 15, 2015 4:46 PM

Exactly. Why pay Nick Nolte prices when hiring Gary Busey is cheaper, with extra crazy as a bonus?

by Anonymousreply 6July 15, 2015 4:47 PM

As much as people on DL loathe walmart and fast food joints for not paying a "living wage", you would think they would be organizing lynch mobs to go after counterfeiters.

by Anonymousreply 7July 15, 2015 5:05 PM

It is about perceived exclusivity, for one thing. It's also about a cheap looking bag that carried the company's logo and cheapens the brand.

by Anonymousreply 8July 15, 2015 5:09 PM

When you see maids on the bus with "Chanel" bags, it reminds people just how meaningless labels have become.

by Anonymousreply 9July 15, 2015 5:20 PM

It cheapens the original. Kinda like non-union tours of Broadway shows.

by Anonymousreply 10July 15, 2015 5:26 PM

Not a good idea for travelers: If you're caught wearing a counterfeit while going through customs in France, they confiscate it and charge you a fine equal to the price of the authentic item.

by Anonymousreply 11July 15, 2015 5:40 PM

Exactly, r9. That's what I don't get. Whenever I see the Chanel or LV logo bags I think "What Trash!"

by Anonymousreply 12July 15, 2015 5:51 PM

Designer!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 15, 2015 5:58 PM

It also reminds you of how much profit they make and how ugly and not-very-special most of the originals are--they have status because people know they're expensive but an LV bag is just coated canvas, not any sort of beautiful butter soft leather

by Anonymousreply 14July 15, 2015 6:09 PM

What I hate about counterfeit goods is that a lot of money supports terrorists and drug dealers.

There's a story in the book De Luxe about how one counterfeiter used children as slaves and many of them had broken legs so they couldn't run away.

by Anonymousreply 15July 15, 2015 7:00 PM

lol @ R15

by Anonymousreply 16July 15, 2015 7:10 PM

R16.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 15, 2015 9:42 PM

My husband bought me some hostess pants, they looked like they were counterfeit.

by Anonymousreply 18July 15, 2015 10:43 PM

But should it shine in every detail, like a ring you're buying retail?

by Anonymousreply 19July 15, 2015 10:45 PM

When clutching your pearls, the beads must be non-imitation and fully bitchworthy.

by Anonymousreply 20July 15, 2015 11:46 PM

[quote]the companies contracted by Chanel

Only company Chanel contracts to make anything is Luxottica to make their sunglasses. They own everything else. That is the whole point of Chanel. Everything is made in house and owned by the company. Chanel is still a private company, a private label owned by one family. They have bought all of the ateliers - Montex, Desreou, Lesage, etc., 10 all together, to create their clothing and accessories. A lot of these houses were struggling and about to go out of business, taking generations of craftsmanship with them, before Chanel came along, so it's pretty cool. Some houses just specialize in feathers, or buttons, or embroidery. Chanel is expensive because their products are made in house by the best people in the business who have been doing it for generations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 16, 2015 12:03 AM

[quote] Only company Chanel contracts to make anything is Luxottica to make their sunglasses

Not true. They have a contract with my company to make their perfume bottles. We make millions and millions of their bottles

by Anonymousreply 22July 16, 2015 1:14 AM

R21, that's good to know.Makes me respect and appreciate the brand.

by Anonymousreply 23July 16, 2015 1:36 AM

As far as the products relating to accessories and ready to wear, r22, handbags, clothing, shoes, sunglasses. Of those types of products, sunglasses are the only thing that Chanel contracts out. I don't know anything about their beauty products. I would guess it's fair game to say they don't make the cardboard boxes they box their shoes and bags in, but that's not really to be expected.

by Anonymousreply 24July 16, 2015 3:33 AM

Counterfeit goods allow the poor to put on airs. Their fake goods should be seized and their owners kept in their proper stations.

by Anonymousreply 25July 16, 2015 3:42 AM

And to be honest, it comes down to the designers themselves. If the designers put out crappy products, there is no way I'm paying full price. There is no way I am going to pay $1345 for a Goyard Tote that is going to start falling apart after use when the knockoff is just as good and will probably wear a bit better.

by Anonymousreply 26July 16, 2015 4:06 AM

[quote]doesn't take money from the companies because the people buying the counterfeits on purpose wouldn't have bought the real thing anyway.

I never would buy a BeeGee's album. So by your logic it's OK to download their music, because I like them, but not enough to buy their music.

by Anonymousreply 27July 16, 2015 3:24 PM

I once watched a documentary on counterfeiting. Apparently consumer goods (fake wallets/purses) aren't the real problem. The real problem is counterfeit airplane parts, car brakes, medicines and other items that have a direct impact on public safety.

The expert in the documentary argued that by buying that fake Louis V bag, you're supporting criminal networks that also sell these fake items.

Also, a lot of products in dollar stores are counterfeit. That tube of Crest is just as likely to be filled with chemicals that can do serious damage to humans. Recently, I noticed a dollar store carried an Axe spray that I like (gold temptation--its a vanilla scent). Long story short, it smelled very different than what I buy at Target (and it hasn't been around long enough that you could argue it was part of an old/expired batch). I'm certain it was counterfeit.

by Anonymousreply 28July 17, 2015 1:18 AM

Counterfeit Axe spray? I'm sorry ... I ... I just ... can't. Why would anyone bother? It's like counterfeiting pennies or something.

Axe sprays are the work of Satan. If there is such a thing as a counterfeit version, the difference is probably just a smaller percentage of evil.

by Anonymousreply 29July 17, 2015 4:48 AM

r29 - As i said, many dollar store brand name products are counterfeit. I guess pennies add up.

by Anonymousreply 30July 18, 2015 9:39 PM

The quality is really different. But I have also heard that some counterfeits are just as good as the real ones. If it is the case, then I would buy counterfeits in a heartbeat.

by Anonymousreply 31July 19, 2015 10:45 AM

[quote] Also, a lot of products in dollar stores are counterfeit.

No, mostly they're made for other markets where there aren't rules about what ingredients may be used (think third world, like Mexico and the like). So a tube of Crest toothpaste is still Crest, just not made to be sold in the US.

by Anonymousreply 32July 19, 2015 11:08 AM

R32 you literally beat me to that by seconds.

The only questionable products I've seen in Big Lots, etc are products with US names (e.g. Palmolive soap) that weren't made here and weren't intended for the US market.

by Anonymousreply 33July 19, 2015 11:18 AM

LV = ugly at any price.

by Anonymousreply 34July 19, 2015 11:24 AM

I've bought so many counterfeit watches in my time. Just love switching it up for cheap

by Anonymousreply 35July 19, 2015 12:11 PM

There was an episode of L&O:CI where people were getting killed from counterfeit mouthwash from China that contained some toxic ingredient.

by Anonymousreply 36July 19, 2015 5:23 PM

As long as it’s convincing, nothing, OP. The snobs are really just jealous because they were dumb enough to pay full price.

by Anonymousreply 37March 28, 2021 3:41 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!