Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cindy Williams Star Wars Audition

"Cindy Williams" "Star Wars" Audition. Here she's auditioning for the role of "Princess Leia". SHOW MORE

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 9, 2020 10:54 AM

Why is the op's message struck out? I have no one on ignore. I don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 1July 15, 2015 2:32 AM

No way could she have pulled off that metal bikini.

by Anonymousreply 2July 15, 2015 3:17 AM

Makes perfect sense. She was in American Graffiti, so was a known commodity, and was the appropriate age.

That role was the Scarlett O'Hara of that era where every actress within a certain age range auditioned for the part.

by Anonymousreply 3July 15, 2015 3:49 AM

I want to see Teri Nunn, former lead singer for Berlin. According to Carrie (and others), she was major runner up for the role. Remember Lucas and DePalma split casting for this and "Carrie" so Amy Irving read for Lea (might also have been a good exotic choice) and then read for Sue in "Carrie". And then they divvied them up. :)

by Anonymousreply 4July 23, 2015 3:49 AM

Teri Nunn's audition with Harrison Ford, for R4. She's not bad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 23, 2015 3:59 AM

IMHO Carrie Fisher was the right choice. She wasn't the most beautiful actress in Hwood, but she did come across as the most intelligent!

She turned out to be quite believable as someone who could defy Darth Vader to his face and act as a leader of the Rebellion, and captivate Han Solo as well. Most pretty young actresses in Hollywood would be lost trying to play someone who influences events on a galactic level, as Natalie Portman later proved.

by Anonymousreply 6July 23, 2015 4:17 AM

Thanks, R5! Nunn is fairly close to Fisher actually, has a nice bratty quality while still beautiful. Carrie had that fake British accent too that came and went, by her own admission. Hard to picture anyone else in the role but her though. I thought Jodie Foster was another alternative which would've been more intense and smart, ha.

by Anonymousreply 7July 23, 2015 4:23 AM

Carrie Fisher was perfection! It couldn't be anyone else. This is weird to see.

by Anonymousreply 8December 9, 2020 4:53 AM

Can anyone find Donna Pescow's audition?

by Anonymousreply 9December 9, 2020 4:58 AM

I like Terri Nunn. Probably the best runner-up. She was very charming in Thank God It's Friday but i think she looked too young.

Carrie was definitely the right choice, though. She also had the best chemistry with Harrison Ford.

Speaking of Ford, he's sexy as hell even in an audition.

by Anonymousreply 10December 9, 2020 5:03 AM

It's odd though that Leia was supposed to have chemistry with Luke in the first one and not Hans.

Fisher said on the commentary track that she was constantly asked why they kiss for "luck" before swinging over that gap. Lucas supposedly had it all mapped out and so didn't he know they were brother and sister? The answer I guess is he didn't really have it as planned out as he claimed because Fisher said that after he saw Star Wars he thought she had more chemistry with Ford (and they did in real life too) so he switched it.

I also have always thought that Hammil comes across a bit gay in the first film and maybe Lucas thought this will just never work.

by Anonymousreply 11December 9, 2020 5:30 AM

Frankly, Carrie Fisher was the only one who could handle the techno-heavy dialogue on short notice. She wasn’t especially pretty or sexy, but at least she made the audition scene make sense.

Cindy Williams said learning the scene was a nightmare, and you can see almost every aspirant in the tests stumbling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 9, 2020 6:25 AM

[quote] No way could she have pulled off that metal bikini.

No way Penny Marshall could have pulled it on!

by Anonymousreply 13December 9, 2020 6:27 AM

R11

Lucas has constantly lied about the development of the two trilogies even when there's plenty of historical evidence of his writing and directing process. Luke was originally supposed to be some sort of lizard creature. Luke and Leia were supposed to be a couple (I don't know if Luke was still a lizard creature at that point). And Marcia Lucas left her husband's worst writing and directing choices on the cutting room floor.

by Anonymousreply 14December 9, 2020 7:15 AM

I think on paper Cindy Williams was probably a good idea but she just didn't work at all. Carrie and Terri were much better suited.

by Anonymousreply 15December 9, 2020 7:29 AM

Except Terri can’t stop elaborating on the text.

by Anonymousreply 16December 9, 2020 7:45 AM

I haven't heard Cindy Williams comment on squiggy's death. Has she made a statement?

by Anonymousreply 17December 9, 2020 8:32 AM

Well, we know Susan Dey hasn’t.

by Anonymousreply 18December 9, 2020 8:39 AM

Carrie was the only one who really seemed imperious rather than just petulant. There's a thin line between Princess and Daddy's Princess and to me, Carrie was the only one on the royal side of that line.

by Anonymousreply 19December 9, 2020 10:10 AM

Many auditions in Hollywood were r-rated though, many still are.

by Anonymousreply 20December 9, 2020 10:40 AM

I know they never had the whole script and had no idea what the they were actually saying plot wise, but but Teri and Cindy had no desperation in their delivery. Just la la destroy a galaxy oh well. Carrie brought out how important what she was talking about.

by Anonymousreply 21December 9, 2020 10:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!