Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bill Nye Explains Whether Homosexuality Makes Evolutionary Sense

[quote]Bill Nye (he of The Science Guy fame) answered a question from an online user submitted to Big Think about the relationship between evolution and homosexuality. The user wondered, does homosexuality make evolutionary sense if species are driven to promulgate?

[quote][italic]“If the purpose of a species is to reproduce and survive, how would it make sense evolutionarily for humans to have same-sex preferences? Are humans the only ones who practice homosexuality? And if so does this mean that homosexuality is a product of human’s personal whim as opposed to instinct?”[/italic]

[quote]Nye responded,

[quote][italic]“…[I]t’s a spectrum. I don’t know about you, but I have known a great many gay men who are married, who have babies, who have kids. So apparently — I’m not an authority on this. I’m an observer of the human condition. Apparently there’s a spectrum. Some people are more inclined to have sex with people of their same sex than others. And I think if you just watch the news right now, you can see that for yourself. And so being somewhere on the spectrum of heterosexual with homosexual being on that it’s not genetically lethal; you still have kids anyway. And you’ll hear people talk about the feminine side. You’ll hear people talk about the masculine side. You’ll hear women use the expression, “Well she’s got a lot of balls which can’t literally be true, if we’re using balls in that conventional construction.” So I would say that it’s something that happens in nature.”[/italic]

[quote]Nye also pointed out previous research that found evidence of homosexuality in species beyond humans including chimpanzees and Bonobo’s. Rather than worry about homosexuality’s role in evolution, Nye suggested, “Let’s celebrate being alive everybody. Apparently it’s just something that happens in nature and look, we’re all here.”

Video at the link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 16, 2020 2:17 PM

Well there are better arguments. Gays often contribute to viability of their family's gene pool, by helping to raise their nieces and nephews. I was the primary babysitter for my nieces and nephews, a common role for a gay uncle. And it's a fact that the more older brothers a man has, the more likely he is to be gay. Which suggests it's nature's way to control overpopulation.

by Anonymousreply 1July 14, 2015 9:47 PM

I never actually knew who Bill Nye is until now.

by Anonymousreply 2July 15, 2015 3:38 AM

Whoever asked that question is an asshole, asking if being gay is a choice.

by Anonymousreply 3July 15, 2015 3:44 AM

There have been studies which suggest that there is a higher likelihood statistically that male children born later in birth order after other males are more likely to be gay.

There is some evolutionary logic for having fewer males competing to reproduce. If the best males reproduce as frequently as possible and males are responsible for gender, you wouldn't want them to keep producing other males.

Have those been disproven?

by Anonymousreply 4July 15, 2015 3:44 AM

Hmm...where does Henry Cavill fall in the family tree? And isn't Colton Haynes the youngest? But his older brother is also gay.

by Anonymousreply 5July 15, 2015 5:12 AM

Actually, it does make evolutionary sense, if you remember the fruit fly in the jar experiment.

by Anonymousreply 6July 15, 2015 5:39 AM

It doesn't matter if you're gay, straight or shaped like an S (thanx Phil Donahue). What truly matters is that there is far too much humanity on the planet who are destroying the only home we have. So whether you fuck men, women, a combo thereof or aardvarks, PLEASE consider the increasingly dire consequences of producing yet more humans.

by Anonymousreply 7July 15, 2015 5:52 AM

It just doesn't make sense that you are born gay. Anyone who says it does is pandering.

by Anonymousreply 8August 15, 2020 11:49 PM

You bumped a four year thread on a gay messageboard to show everyone you're a homophobe?

by Anonymousreply 9August 15, 2020 11:53 PM

R9 Bill Nye's response was word salad. There is no proof that homosexuality is caused by genetics. Why is pointing that out homophobic?

by Anonymousreply 10August 15, 2020 11:55 PM

How is in not genetic if millions of people are born gay? Even if you were to cruelly call it a "defect." it's still genetic.

by Anonymousreply 11August 15, 2020 11:58 PM

He isn't a science anything. His degree is in engineering.

by Anonymousreply 12August 15, 2020 11:58 PM

sexual segregation is actually far more common than homosexual encounters in most animals and most males do not reproduce because of competition and female choice. therefore the idea that animals have sex to reproduce is bullshit. as animals become more intelligent the function of breeding and sexual/social preference become more distinguishable and separate. besides, evolution is not the one who has to be wounded or killed in order to keep the species going nor it experiences none of of cruel and stressing conditions that those poor creatures have to endured on a daily basis in order to not become somebody's next meal.

by Anonymousreply 13August 16, 2020 12:07 AM

When did Bill Nye become America's go-to science advisor? Isn't he an engineer?

It's like asking Dr. Phil about a medical problem.

by Anonymousreply 14August 16, 2020 12:20 AM

How did I turn out gay but my older and younger brothers aren't?

by Anonymousreply 15August 16, 2020 12:21 AM

It's the human condition. As long as there are at least two human beings with cocks then there will be a chance that gay sex will occur. As long as there is at least one male ( fuck off ftms ) then there is a chance that the male will be a gay one. Lineage is irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 16August 16, 2020 12:39 AM

According to Kinsey there are only a small number of totally straight Kinsey zeros, just like with gays there are only a few percent of Kinsey sixes, i.e. totally gay people. The current straight hegemony is a social construct which, if Kinsey was correct about the sexual orientation scale, is why it's impossible to know how many truly straight people there are. Male masculinity still abhors homosexuality today but in a world where it would be totally normal to have gay sex or relationships homosexuality would be seen just as masculine as heterosexuality.

I'm not a history buff so no idea how far-spread bisexuality truly was in ancient Greece but I've understood it was perfectly normal for older guys to have sex with young men. Then again I remember hearing this happened mostly among the upper class.

If almost all men are bisexual, just like women are pretty much thought to be, evolution has little to do with sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 17August 16, 2020 12:45 AM

R10, Nothing in his statement was "word salad". Fuck off homophobe.

by Anonymousreply 18August 16, 2020 2:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!