Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Angela Lansbury, Boyd Gaines, and James Earl Jones in 'Driving Miss Daisy'

Premieres July 17 on PBS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51December 19, 2020 6:58 PM

I'll watch it if it gets decent reviews.

by Anonymousreply 1July 14, 2015 9:32 PM

Angie just keeps working. Film debut in 1944 (marvelous Gaslight) , stage debut in 1957.

by Anonymousreply 2July 14, 2015 9:40 PM

Yes, R2.

Angela's 90th Birthday is coming up in October.

by Anonymousreply 3July 14, 2015 9:41 PM

I found a review, R1:

“Driving Miss Daisy” a well done play captured for posterity by PBS Great Performances

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 14, 2015 10:28 PM

Great actors- terrible play-like " The Help" - white people love see other white people being racist- it takes the spotlight off them and makes their " soft bigotry " look charming. " Oh Lloyd thank God we are like that anymore, and tell Jesus that he isn't watering my plants right!"

by Anonymousreply 5July 14, 2015 11:49 PM

R5 is right. It is a terrible, maudlin play.

by Anonymousreply 6July 14, 2015 11:54 PM

Miss Daisy, in my life before this I was like a Dark InVader. And like then, I'm your Daddy.

by Anonymousreply 7July 14, 2015 11:56 PM

Will she have to wear an earpiece to be prompted?

by Anonymousreply 8July 15, 2015 12:06 AM

Now is as good a time as any to post the hilarious clip of Phylicia Rashad waxing pretentiously about "theater" while James Earl Jones looks on in apparent befuddlement.

This cracks me up every time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 15, 2015 12:10 AM

OMG R9! It's Palinesque alphabet soup!

by Anonymousreply 10July 15, 2015 12:13 AM

R10 how do you mean?

by Anonymousreply 11July 15, 2015 12:18 AM

Is there any nudity?

by Anonymousreply 12July 15, 2015 12:25 AM

r11, r10 means that Rashad is just stringing buzzwords together in a way that has no meaning, like Sarah Palin does when she has to talk about national politics.

by Anonymousreply 13July 15, 2015 1:06 AM

R13 but she got massive applause at the end.

by Anonymousreply 14July 15, 2015 1:10 AM

I love James Earl Jones, it's good to see he's keeping busy well into his eighties.

by Anonymousreply 15July 15, 2015 2:30 AM

and Palin got a VP nom. What IS your point, R14?

by Anonymousreply 16July 15, 2015 4:26 AM

Why does she still live in Manhattan Plaza if she gets work like this? Maybe Angie likes being close to the people.

by Anonymousreply 17July 15, 2015 6:47 AM

R17 what do you mean? What's wrong with the Manhattan Plaza?

by Anonymousreply 18July 15, 2015 6:53 AM

I thought it was for people who were poor. Why is Angie living there?

by Anonymousreply 19July 15, 2015 7:07 AM

I saw them perform in Melbourne where this was recorded while I was on vacation in Australia. It was worthwhile to see two great elderly actors performing on stage before they kicked the bucket. It felt weird though watching with an Australian audience, wondering if they understood what was going on.

by Anonymousreply 20July 15, 2015 7:47 AM

Thanks for the reminder, OP. Yeah, this is a sappy, inconsequential work, but I'm looking forward to seeing Lansbury and Jones together nonetheless. Saw Lansbury in the national tour of Blithe Spirit earlier this year. Her performance as Madame Arcati was astonishing. Lots of impressive British talent in that cast and yet she owned the evening. She didn't miss a beat and had such a wonderful sense of comedic timing.

Wasn't there some talk of a Broadway (or Off Broadway) production of The Chalk Garden with Lansbury? Given how vital and sharp she remains, would love for to have at least one more Broadway outing.

by Anonymousreply 21July 15, 2015 8:22 AM

I think Lansbury won her 5th Tony for Blithe Spirit a few years ago, correct, R21?

by Anonymousreply 22July 15, 2015 10:27 AM

[quote]white people love see other white people being racist- it takes the spotlight off them and makes their " soft bigotry " look charming.

Just like your bigoted and ignorant over-generalization about "white people". Daisy Werthan may have been white, but she was also Jewish. Jews in the conservative Xtian South were despised almost as much as Blacks and in some cases, far more. The movie very briefly showed Southern bigotry against Jews.

by Anonymousreply 23July 15, 2015 10:47 AM

True, R23.

And wasn't there a Jewish man who the KKK killed along with several black men?

by Anonymousreply 24July 15, 2015 10:58 AM

Thank heavens they filmed this - I was really afraid Mr. Popper's Penguins is going to turn out to be Angela's last movie.

by Anonymousreply 25July 15, 2015 11:05 AM

Why haven't they turned this into a musical?

by Anonymousreply 26July 15, 2015 2:50 PM

R26 - the creative team is still figuring out what rhymes with "Piggly Wiggly" and which doesn't start with the letter "n".

R22 - she sure did. That was such a great moment, too. The crowd at Radio City went nuts for Dame Angie. She also won her (first?) Olivier Award in London this year for playing the same role in London's West End in 2014.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27July 15, 2015 4:37 PM

Julie Harris, who passed away last year, is the only other person to have won 5 Tonys.

by Anonymousreply 28July 15, 2015 10:44 PM

Yup, though Audra has now surpassed them both with 6 wins. Would be fun to see Lansbury notch up a 6th win - and well into her 90s, too.

by Anonymousreply 29July 15, 2015 10:47 PM

I didn't know Audra had won that many, R29. When did that happen? I guess I'm not up on the latest numbers.

by Anonymousreply 30July 15, 2015 10:50 PM

The play is second rate but the acting was first-rate.

by Anonymousreply 31July 22, 2015 7:37 PM

r9, this one is just as funny in its befuddlement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 22, 2015 7:49 PM

I did the movie version

by Anonymousreply 33July 22, 2015 7:55 PM

It's online.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 22, 2015 7:56 PM

The play may be slight, but it's not like there's a wealth of roles out there for an actress in her late 80's.

by Anonymousreply 35July 22, 2015 8:03 PM

[quote]Yup, though Audra has now surpassed them both with 6 wins.

I think Harris still has the edge, since all of her 5 wins were in Lead Actress (I AM A CAMERA, THE LARK, FORTY CARATS, THE LAST OF MRS. LINCOLN, THE BELLE OF AMHERST).

Lansbury has four Lead (MAME, DEAR WORLD, GYPSY, SWEENEY TODD) and one Supporting (BLITHE SPIRIT).

McDonald has two Lead (PORGY & BESS, LADY DAY) and four Supporting (CAROUSEL, MASTER CLASS, RAGTIME, A RAISIN IN THE SUN).

It's much easier to win in Supporting.

by Anonymousreply 36July 22, 2015 8:07 PM

Well, you still have to beat the same number of competitors in your category, R36.

Anyway, Angela also has 3 Oscar nominations, which is something that none of those others have.

by Anonymousreply 37July 22, 2015 9:51 PM

[quote]Well, you still have to beat the same number of competitors in your category, [R36].

Yes, but Supporting is seen as "lesser" category, like at the Oscars and Emmys. You are judged differently. In Lead, you really have to impress.

by Anonymousreply 38July 22, 2015 10:11 PM

That is supposition, R38.

Sometimes Lead categories are easier to win than Supporting.

Supporting is often for talented, veteran performers whereas Lead is given to newer, attractive people whom the industry wants to give a boost to.

by Anonymousreply 39July 22, 2015 10:14 PM

Boyd Gaines was dreamy in the early 80s.

by Anonymousreply 40July 22, 2015 10:19 PM

R36 what a racist thing to say. And to justify it by implying that a Tony in the supporting parts are easy to get is insult to all those who have won a Tony in that category, including Angela Lansbury.

by Anonymousreply 41July 22, 2015 11:58 PM

It's amazing that Angela never won an Emmy award.

by Anonymousreply 42July 23, 2015 12:19 AM

R30 - I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but, yeah, Audra won her record 6th Tony last year. That's why she was a sobbing mess during her acceptance and why the crowd roared when she won.

R42 - I adore Lansbury, but I don't find it that surprising. Even for the cheesy tv of the 80s, Murder She Wrote was a bit ridiculous. I mean, let's face it. Jessica Fletcher killed all those people. Although I know that in her younger days she got a bit tired of playing villainesses, I'd love to see her get a small, but pivotal role in a prestige cable drama on HBO, AMC or FX in which she plays... I don't know... an evil matriarch of a crime family. That would be a nice cap to her career. Especially since it seems unlikely we'll see her cast in a theatrical film again. Besides which, there's much better writing happening on tv now anyway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43July 23, 2015 3:42 AM

R43, it may just have been a case of bad luck and never getting nominated in the right year.

Remember that Peter O'Toole was nominated a record Eight Times for an Oscar and never won.

So even great actors sometimes go a whole career without winning a particular award.

by Anonymousreply 44July 23, 2015 6:16 AM

R41 what was racist about what I wrote? Just because Audra just happens to be black? I would've said the same thing about a white performer with 4 Featured and 2 Lead wins, as well. I even said that Harris even has the edge with Angela, even though they both technically have 5. But Harris' are all Lead and Angela has 4 Lead and 1 Featured.

It's tiresome how people throw the racist card just because you criticize a black person. Plus, I wasn't even criticizing her. I will say, though, that Audra trumps both Harris and Angela by winning in every acting category possible, twice in the latter two: Lead Actress in a Play, Lead Actress in a Musical, Featured Actress in a Play, Featured Actress in a Musical.

Harris won all her 5 in Lead Actress in a Play and Angela won her first four in Lead Actress in a Musical and her fifth in Featured Actress in a Play.

by Anonymousreply 45July 23, 2015 6:28 AM

Why do the Tonys call it 'Featured' instead of 'Supporting'?

by Anonymousreply 46July 23, 2015 6:32 AM

R46 I'm guessing because Featured Roles are not necessarily Supporting. You get put in Featured or Lead category depending on your billing. If your name is above the title, you're automatically a Lead, regardless of the size of your part. This is why Yul Brynner won for Featured Actor for THE KING AND despite being the male lead. But Gertrude Lawrence was the only name on the marquee and above the title because she was the star.

But actors/productions can petition to be put in a specific category, and the Committee has the last say. Donna McKechnie was nominated and won for Lead Actress in a Musial for A CHORUS LINE, but none of the actors had their names above the title and her part wasn't that big, anyway. In fact, Morales has more songs than does Cassie (including the two best known "Nothing" and "What I Did for Love"), but Priscilla Lopez was put in Featured.

by Anonymousreply 47July 23, 2015 7:05 AM

[quote]In fact, Morales has more songs than does Cassie (including the two best known "Nothing" and "What I Did for Love"), but Priscilla Lopez was put in Featured.

Cassie has the solo spot "Music and the Mirror" where nobody else is on stage. "Nothing" and "What I Did For Love" have support from the other cast members either in background singing or dancing.

I assume that ACL didn't put Robert LuPone into Best Actor because the character is a disembodied voice for most of the show. That year George Rose won Best Actor for playing Alfred Doolittle in a revival of My Fair Lady, even though the character of Doolittle can in no way be considered a leading role.

So in short, the Tony Committee has always made it up as they go along.

by Anonymousreply 48July 23, 2015 5:28 PM

It's amazing to me that Lansbury will be 90 this October. My sister's baby is due in September. To think that when Lansbury was born in 1925, a 90-year-old then was born in 1835 -- 26 years before the start of the Civil War, 1 year before the Alamo, and four years before the invention of Daguerreotype photography.

by Anonymousreply 49July 24, 2015 7:15 AM

It's impressive to get to 90, but of course we have several even older actresses out there.

Maureen O'Hara turns 95 next month.

And Olivia De Havilland turned 99 last month.

by Anonymousreply 50July 24, 2015 10:47 AM

[quote] Jessica Fletcher killed all those people

R43 That's an interesting theory.

by Anonymousreply 51December 19, 2020 6:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!