Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The NYC Blackout of 1977

We're any of you distinguished, gray at the temples gays there?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129December 18, 2020 4:31 AM

The Trammps - The Night The Lights Went Out In New York City

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 14, 2015 3:56 AM

I was in Jersey,we were also having " rolling blackouts "

by Anonymousreply 2July 14, 2015 4:03 AM

I was in Europe. Paris Match had particularly lurid coverage.

by Anonymousreply 3July 14, 2015 4:07 AM

My Mommy was

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 14, 2015 4:43 AM

We were surprised how quickly the city changed from the 1965 Blackout of fun and frolic to the dirty 1977 blackout where postmen and city workers joined in the looting.

That was when the push to rid NYC of black people began.

by Anonymousreply 5July 14, 2015 3:26 PM

"that was when the push to rid NYC of black people began"

Huh- I have lived here all my life 1953 to the present and I do not know WHAT you are talking about.

by Anonymousreply 6July 14, 2015 3:50 PM

I was in Philly, but I remember the blackout effecting all of the network shows. My sister and I were watching Charlie's Angels, and the picture kept blacking out, only to repeat the same scene over and over again-Bosley walking in the room with some goofy costume and saying, "Now thith...ith my dithguise!". Over and over again. We still say that line to each other every so often because it was so funny at the time.

by Anonymousreply 7July 14, 2015 4:54 PM

How did the blackout affect Broadway? Since the blackout started after 8 PM, most of the shows would have started by then.

by Anonymousreply 8July 14, 2015 5:03 PM

I was a 411 operator at Madison Directory Assistance on West 18th Street. When the lights went out, telephone company batteries took over. We were busier than ever, all asked to work overtime to handle "the traffic." Back then, phones worked no matter what happened. Now with cable company phone service, there's no guarantee you'll have a dial tone.

by Anonymousreply 9July 14, 2015 5:11 PM

American Experience on PBS is airing a 1-hr doc on the '77 blackout tonight (or, maybe another night, depending upon when your local PBS station airs American Experience)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 14, 2015 5:17 PM

I was in my 10th Street apartment talking on the phone with a friend uptown when the lights went out. I've always wondered whether the sudden loss of power disconnected the phone call or whether we hung up simultaneously.

My roommate and I lit candles and walked slowly down the stairs. It was pitch black. We walked down University Place, where restaurants were getting rid of their perishables.

After eating a little free ice cream, I headed over to a friend's apartment on 9th so he could rhythmically and repeatedly insert his penis in my anus until we both felt really good.

I knew nothing about rioting until two day later.

by Anonymousreply 11July 14, 2015 5:27 PM

[quote]How did the blackout affect Broadway? Since the blackout started after 8 PM, most of the shows would have started by then.

Over at Annie, Andrea McArdle had just started singing Tomorrow. "The sun'll come out, tomorrow..." and boom all the lights went out. Sandy got nervous and peed on McArdle.

by Anonymousreply 12July 14, 2015 5:29 PM

HA! This is an amazing thread...please oh please "Temple Graydons" keep it going!

by Anonymousreply 13July 14, 2015 5:40 PM

I wasn't there (I was at the Jersey Shore at the time), but my brother and his girlfriend were attending Godspell on Broadway when it happened. Being the hippie-musical that it was, they lit candles and continued to acoustic guitar accompaniment. He said it was a really great theatre experience ... before things got ugly much later on outside.

by Anonymousreply 14July 14, 2015 5:53 PM

Was luscious Victor Garber still in it (Godspell, silly!) at the time?

by Anonymousreply 15July 14, 2015 6:33 PM

"We're any of you..."

Yes, we we're th'ere, you li'ttle dumb f'uck t'art illi'terate cuntl'ette. Wh'ere w';ere y:ou in th&rd gr"ade Eng'lish, you dumb p'iece of s>hit?

by Anonymousreply 16July 14, 2015 6:49 PM

Wow...up the dosage there, old feller. Not that I don't agree with the idea that spelling and grammar are *still* important and that their slide into oblivion is horrifying, but the Internet's propensity to bullying and to encourage unbridled, anonymous, disproportionate anger such as yours, is much worse.

by Anonymousreply 17July 14, 2015 6:58 PM

Learn basic grammar and punctuation, cuntlette. Now fuck off, you shit.

by Anonymousreply 18July 14, 2015 7:05 PM

Time Magazine

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 14, 2015 7:09 PM

1977...It all happened here....where else?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 14, 2015 7:10 PM

I was living in Laurel Canyon in El Lay and partying my ass off. We were all very well lit.

by Anonymousreply 21July 14, 2015 7:16 PM

Laurel Canyon, eldergay R21? Fancy. If you've maintained your wealth, have no descendents and have a terminal illness, we should talk. I feel... a connection.

by Anonymousreply 22July 14, 2015 7:34 PM

Ha! Well if old-age irascibility is all you've got (and perhaps grammar) you stick with it! But I, who stuck up for poor OP, am not OP. Just a pragmatic bystander who doesn't feel the need to torture someone because they used the wrong spelling of a word. I do, however, feel the need to bully back a bully. But don't you worry. They will get those meds right, yet!

by Anonymousreply 23July 14, 2015 7:42 PM

I survived the NYC Blackout of 2003.

by Anonymousreply 24July 14, 2015 7:46 PM

R22 I am in excellent health and my husband and I have a beautiful teenage daughter. I had my own business, retired and am comfortable financially. Is there any more info you need?

by Anonymousreply 25July 14, 2015 8:10 PM

1977, wow you people are old

by Anonymousreply 26July 14, 2015 8:10 PM

Me, too. And I lived on the 9th Floor of a one-time factory so the flights are extra long, LOL! A/C was an issue, too, as I recall. Actually, we had a black out and a couple of brown outs that summer.

by Anonymousreply 27July 14, 2015 8:11 PM

R26, I was a 1965 Blackout Baby! I'm 48 now. During the 1977 Blackout, my dad was a NYC cop and got stuck on overtime so he worked through the riots and looting. People were stealing cars from dealerships. My uncle was an engineer at ConEd at Indian Point, which was the site of the power failure. He wasn't allowed to leave. He didn't work the whole time, they set up cots for them to take sleep shifts.

by Anonymousreply 28July 14, 2015 8:20 PM

I loved it. I was left alone!

by Anonymousreply 29July 14, 2015 8:29 PM

R26 thanks for stopping by with such wonderfull input

by Anonymousreply 30July 14, 2015 8:36 PM

' an age slam'

Is that what you call it?

I call it twinktime.

by Anonymousreply 31July 14, 2015 9:18 PM

"I do, however, feel the need to bully back a bully. "

Because you're a vindictive hypocritical cunt.

by Anonymousreply 32July 14, 2015 9:27 PM

Awww...if it makes you feel better Princess. I guess you just don't get it. By the by, I liked "cuntlette" better. I thought it was very erudite of you!

by Anonymousreply 33July 14, 2015 9:52 PM

I was living in New York with my stepsister that summer --which was also the Summer of Sam, a heat wave and a garbage strike, I believe -- before returning to college for my senior year. She was living on E. 84th and York in a rent-controlled garden apartment. (I used to see Walter Cronkite walking his spaniel in the mornings.) Because we lived near Gracie Mansion, our neighborhood was (reportedly) the last one to have the power turned back on because Mayor Beame didn't want to be accused of having his power turned back on first. I remember sitting out on the front stoop and talking with the locals about the blackout by candle and flashlight, then going inside and lighting nearly every candle we owned. My stepsister, of course, had done a huge grocery shop that day so she felt compelled to cook (on the gas stove) as much as she/we could in the morning while it was still cool-ish so as not to waste it. We didn't open the fridge unless it was absolutely necessary so the cold stayed in it. We knew from the radio (battery-operated) that there was looting going on, but it didn't affect us on the UES. All the traffic lights were out, so every intersection became a four-way stop.

Many years later when I first moved to San Francisco -- where four-way stops are legion -- we had a few months of rolling blackouts, and I knew not to open the fridge, keep plenty of candles and batteries on hand and to have ways to amuse myself when there's no power. I recommend a deck of cards. Basically, blackouts are boring, because you can't do anything that requires power, which is a lot more than you'd think.

by Anonymousreply 34July 14, 2015 9:52 PM

I know an eldergay who lived in the village at that time. He said it was an instant orgy on the side streets off Christopher Street.

by Anonymousreply 35July 14, 2015 10:00 PM

"I liked "cuntlette" better. "

You're too fat for the diminutive.

by Anonymousreply 36July 14, 2015 10:03 PM

Your crystal ball is as fucked up as you are, LOL! I know I shouldn't play with trolls but you are too obnoxious and angry to resist!

by Anonymousreply 37July 14, 2015 10:07 PM

Typed the internet addict and newbie to NYC.

by Anonymousreply 38July 14, 2015 10:09 PM

Good old Ma Bell. Back then she was equipped to keep working through a nuclear Winter.

by Anonymousreply 39July 14, 2015 10:11 PM

Who is Ma Bell? A hip hopper?

by Anonymousreply 40July 14, 2015 10:19 PM

The 2003 Blackout stories on the media were all about congratulating people with college degrees and white collar jobs for helping to direct traffic.

Also, for Bush trying to run and hide when the Press approached to ask about the event.

by Anonymousreply 41July 14, 2015 11:15 PM

For me the best thing about it was my dad (who worked nights) couldn't get to work and he stayed home with me. I was a kid, that was a big deal. I don't remember what exactly we did but we used flashlights and played games (cards, board and such) and he told me stories until bedtime. For a couple of years I used to wish for a blackout every night. Oh I do remember it being very hot without AC and we were worried about my grandfather who lived alone and we had no way to reach him.

I also remember the buildings super coming to each apartment (high rise building, 18 floors, 10 apartments per floor so it was a huge job) asking if everyone was okay and saying to everyone to lock the door and ask who it is before opening it again. We lived in a safe neighborhood but still, it was a night of danger.

2003 sucked.

by Anonymousreply 42July 15, 2015 1:48 AM

So, dumb question, but I'm a millennial without a landline, though I of course grew up with landlines. But even those were plugged into separate electrical sources in the early 90s. Phones kept working during blackouts because the phone line was also a line of electricity? In other words, was your phone provider also your phone electricity provider?

by Anonymousreply 43July 15, 2015 2:05 AM

Yeah I don't understand how the phones kept working either.

by Anonymousreply 44July 15, 2015 2:07 AM

Old phones didn't need electricity.

by Anonymousreply 45July 15, 2015 2:12 AM

In the olden days, all phones were hard-wired to the wall. Between your house and the phone company's office there is a dedicated pair of copper wires for your phone. Those wires are almost always buried, so ice storms and hurricanes will not cut them. The phone company supplies the power that your phone needs using your dedicated copper pair.

So even if the power goes out in your house, the phone still gets the power it needs through the phone line. And at the phone company office there is an extensive battery system, as well as a backup generator, to supply power during a power failure. If the power goes out, the batteries and generators keep the office fully pow­ered. Therefore, all of the phones connected to the office are fully powered as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46July 15, 2015 2:24 AM

I wasn't there, but my parents were. I showed up nine months later.

by Anonymousreply 47July 15, 2015 2:29 AM

Which is why some of us still have "land lines". If my electric goes out, I just plug in the land line and call to complain the power is out. Not like it gets fixed right away (this area is notorious for lightening strikes) but at least it gets reported.

What caused that blackout in '77? I remember when it happened but I can't say I recall hearing what caused it. I was too interested in Son of Sam.

by Anonymousreply 48July 15, 2015 2:30 AM

How much did a landline cost back then?

by Anonymousreply 49July 15, 2015 2:31 AM

Did people like Ma Bell or did they see the breakup as the disaster it was?

by Anonymousreply 50July 15, 2015 2:32 AM

They told us Ma Bell was bad, so we got baby bells. They weren't too bad, but once they left, it's been hell.

My first land line was 7.95 in 1984. Now it is something like $40

by Anonymousreply 51July 15, 2015 2:36 AM

[quote]Did people like Ma Bell or did they see the breakup as the disaster it was?

Yes, people liked Ma Bell. American phones were light years ahead of the rest of the world.

America had touch tone about thirty years before the rest of the world, for example.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52July 15, 2015 2:39 AM

Well, some people liked Ma Bell. The bad thing about it was we couldn't BUY the phone we wanted. We had to *rent* it from Ma Bell and the motherfucker weighed a TON. There weren't a lot of options.

It was also VERY expensive if you dialed long-distance. Back in The Day, you had to pay like 50 cents a minute. We lived out in the BFE so everyone was "long distance" to us.

by Anonymousreply 53July 15, 2015 2:45 AM

You could buy shitty phones like this...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 15, 2015 2:49 AM

Thanks for the explanation, R46.

R48, wait, you still have a traditional old-fashioned landline so that you can call the power company to let them know the power's out? You do realize that if the power goes out that your cell phone's battery isn't instantly drained as well, right? Okay, let me be more generous, you probably meant that you keep the traditional landline in case there's an EXTENDED multi-day outage during which time your cell phone battery could die.

by Anonymousreply 55July 15, 2015 3:10 AM

'Okay, let me be more generous'

Adorable!

by Anonymousreply 56July 15, 2015 3:13 AM

R11, as an active '70s bottom, how did you not get the AIDS?

by Anonymousreply 57July 15, 2015 3:16 AM

I was 7

by Anonymousreply 58July 15, 2015 3:43 AM

You don't know how many times I've asked myself that question, r57. Apparently there's some gene, which, if you have it twice, it keeps you from getting HIV.

by Anonymousreply 59July 15, 2015 3:45 AM

'Apparently there's some gene, which, if you have it twice, it keeps you from getting HIV."

Well, I for one am glad you're still here. You're a great story teller!

by Anonymousreply 60July 15, 2015 3:49 AM

I bitterly regretted missing the blackout of 1977.

I was 12 at the time and my younger brother and I staying with friends in Lakehurst, New Jersey. My father had just undergone lung cancer surgery at a hospital in Brooklyn and friends took us to "the country" to have some fun. Needless to say I was sad about my father but also now super-pissed that my 12 year old self was missing THE event of that very busy summer. I vowed never to stay overnight in New Jersey again. So far I have kept my childhood promise.

Anyway, my Mother called the downtown Brooklyn hospital and was told they were on generator power and that my Dad was OK.

My Mom later learned at one point that night, the doctors - all male, at the time - had to block the place from being overrun with minorities rushing in to steal the drugs.

So is the following anecdote an urban legend or is it the truth: ue to the 1977 blackout the cast of OH, CALCUTTA was somehow unable to access their dressing rooms, and had to borrow clothes from the audience to get home. Is that an urban legend?

by Anonymousreply 61July 15, 2015 4:10 AM

[quote]the doctors - all male, at the time - had to block the place from being overrun with minorities rushing in to steal the drugs.

Oooh! R61! Now DL is going to turn over your ISP to Mossad!

by Anonymousreply 62July 15, 2015 4:22 AM

Yet again R62, What the hell are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 63July 15, 2015 4:24 AM

Someone was watching PBS tonight...

by Anonymousreply 64July 15, 2015 4:26 AM

It seems NYers like to recall what they were watching on tv when the blackout hit.

On-line, there are loads of postings from people about what they were doing when the blackout hit. Some have posted that they had just finished watching or were watching such and such tv show. Today somebody posted this on the Staten Island Advance website regarding their memories of the blackout.

"I was at home watching an episode of Baretta when the lights went out."

This got me thinking. Wouldn't it be fun to see exactly what was on tv that unforgettable night 38 years ago.I decided to look at the tv listings for Wednesday July 13, 1977 on the Google News archive. I chose that day's edition of The Boca Raton (Fl) News. The tv listings for that particular day were on page 12 of the 38 page paper (see link )

The poster above was right. Baretta was being broadcast on ABC (Channel 7 in NY) from 9 to 10pm that night. The particular episode they had on was a repeat ( remember it was summer) "Dear Tony" Season 3, Episode 8.

So what else was on that night? When the lights went out, on CBS they were showing the 1971 Joseph Bologna/Rennee Taylor Brooklyn-themed movie "Made For Each Other". Before that at 8pm , CBS had a Good Times re-run on. (season 4 episode 13)"The Comedian and the Loan Sharks".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65July 15, 2015 8:45 AM

I was at my grandparents house in New Jersey, 7 years old. Suddenly all the television stations went off the air. Like, totally off the air. All there was was snow. This was before cable.

No one knew what the fuck was going on. I remember my aunt saying "The Russians are coming to get us!" in a half joking kind of way.

Eventually news tricked in, likely from a radio station not in Manhattan of what was going on. All the channels were off the air for a couple days. It was awful!! Summer was my best TV watching time.

by Anonymousreply 66July 15, 2015 8:50 AM

[quote]. Like, totally off the air. All there was was snow. This was before cable.

That's odd. We had cable in Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 67July 15, 2015 9:08 AM

The best thing about Ma Bell's phones was that they were indestructible. If you accidentally dropped it, say you tripped on the cord and it slammed on the floor, it would still be okay.

The company would check how many phones you had by measuring the amount of current was required to make the phones in your house ring. There was a bit of a black market for phones without ringers. Or, if you were skilled enough you could open the case and disconnect the ringer. Not that any law-abiding parent would do such a thing.

Trivia: the shah of Iran was committed to modernizing his country. In 1979, AT&T had the contract to wire that country for phones and upgrade its current antiquated system. Thousands of AT&T employees were in the country doing this work. Some had moved their families there. Some were able to move their families & possessions back home before Khomeni took over. Others had a brief notice (like, grab the kids, get in the car & drive to the airport) and left everything behind.

by Anonymousreply 68July 15, 2015 10:20 AM

Very interesting trivia, R68.

Wonder what the 'phones are like there now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69July 15, 2015 11:09 AM

For r60;

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70July 15, 2015 11:16 AM

I was 9 years old and we lived in Queens. My mom worked late on Wednesday nights and wasn't home yet. My dad was watching TV in my parents' bedroom. I was in the living room watching CPO Sharkey, which starred Don Rickles, when the lights went out.

It was freaky for a kid - especially Son of Sam running around that summer. I opened the door of our apartment and the building hallway was pitch black - I'd never seen such total darkness before. Our neighbors all started gathering in the hall and someone lit candles so we could see. Eventually my mother made it home - she was driving so at least she wasn't stuck on the subway.

Our neighborhood was pretty safe - no looting - but right after that my parents shipped me off to sleepaway camp for three weeks. Between the blackout, Son of Sam, the heat, and the city's fiscal crisis, it felt like the world was totally out of control.

by Anonymousreply 71July 15, 2015 12:53 PM

R67 yeah cable didn't make it to the Jersey suburbs until about 1981 or so.

by Anonymousreply 72July 15, 2015 2:03 PM

R61 and R71's memory is similar to mine. I was 10 and we lived in Lenox Hill, just my mom, my sister and me. It was really hot and opening the windows didn't really help. We didn't think it was scary at first until one of our neighbors who used to check on us came by to see if we were okay and our first thought went to murderers, not looters. My mom had started dating again after my dad died and I remember the guy who would later become my stepdad coming over and sleeping on the couch. So quaint. The other vivid memory later the next day was people from the UES who didn't have power really being pissed that we had it back.

2003 wasn't all about white upper class people, at least the stories outside NYC. I lived in Brooklyn at the time in Prospect Heights and my neighbors of all sorts of backgrounds got together and helped each other. My block had gentrified but there were still old African-American families who had been there for 40-50 years holding on. They were great guys, kept busy by coming by to check on us and chat, we checked on them. People cleaned out food and shared stuff. I remember neighbors boiled coffee on their stove and we met out on our stoops to share it. Not as hot then but it felt like it wasn't going to end. We were next to last to get power, so I finally understood how pissed people were who got their power back so late.

by Anonymousreply 73July 15, 2015 2:19 PM

Big deal, most of the DL posters from NYC suffer regular blackouts, especially on the theater threads.

by Anonymousreply 74July 15, 2015 2:40 PM

interesting stories. All the things I've seen about this blackout have been about the looting and ghetto fuckery. I've always been interested to hear about what was going on with the regular people in Manhattan. Parties, bars by candlelight, hookups etc. I imagine in the non-ghetto areas it was more of a party atmosphere.

by Anonymousreply 75July 15, 2015 4:48 PM

I know after the LA riots, all the immigrant shop owners armed themselves. I am sure it is the same in NYC so if the ghetto types try 1977 again, it won't end well for them.

by Anonymousreply 76July 15, 2015 4:51 PM

R75, there are plenty of places in NYC that are neither ghetto nor party atmosphere. Most of Murray Hill springs to mind. Ditto Yorkville.

by Anonymousreply 77July 15, 2015 4:58 PM

Did lots of people get trapped in elevators?

by Anonymousreply 78July 15, 2015 5:12 PM

Why the hell wouldn't they be able to get in their dressing rooms because of a blackout, R61?

by Anonymousreply 79July 15, 2015 5:27 PM

[quote]The best thing about Ma Bell's phones was that they were indestructible.

No, the best thing about Ma Bell's phones is that you could dial the phone with a pencil.

by Anonymousreply 80July 15, 2015 5:50 PM

Mabel Durbin knows all your business and she doesn't approve. At least she would have never let the NSA supercede her authority.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81July 15, 2015 5:53 PM

[quote]We were next to last to get power, so I finally understood how pissed people were who got their power back so late.

We lost our power during Hurricane Sandy. I live in NYC in the West Village and after five days everyone else had their power but us. I was really pissed off because even the East Village had power.

by Anonymousreply 82July 15, 2015 5:55 PM

The contrast of the behavior during the blackouts, for better or worse, showed how much NYC had changed. It's gone from being a city to a high density, high cost, suburb. "I'm gonna get me a TV and stick it to the man." "We just sat out under the start so we didn't get hot up in our apartment."

by Anonymousreply 83July 15, 2015 5:58 PM

I was living in Cocoa Beach with a blond artist surfer adonis I met in Ft Lauderdale the Feb before. He was the first real great love I had in my life- and what a fellow he was! It was the only year in my life I did not live in NYC and or nearby Bergen County! My friends in the city (who I talked to since the land lines of course worked) went crazy and had a ball- despite all the terrible looting- which occurred mainly in poorer neighborhoods- awful. In the Village and along CPW it was wild- hell on a normal night in the city in those days gay life was wild. So I missed it- but boy did I have one helluva time in Florida that year.

I also remember the '65 blackout which happened in cooler weather and as far as I was concerned was a non event (living home- very sheltered life then in the best sense of being sheltered.)

by Anonymousreply 84July 15, 2015 6:09 PM

that's right

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85July 16, 2015 3:38 AM

I was there. Living in Queens, Middle Village. Was at a local bar when the lights went out. We lit candles and locked the door, thank heavens no windows, Woodhaven Blvd loaded up with thugs coming up and smashing all the storefront windows and looting the stores. The liquor store got hit really bad.

by Anonymousreply 86July 16, 2015 10:38 PM

According to the PBS program, only a few of the looters were criminals. Most looters were poor, working class people who needed food and supplies to make ends meet.

by Anonymousreply 87July 18, 2015 3:17 AM

I was 16 and living in Brooklyn. There was no looting where I lived. When the power came back on and we saw the news, people were shocked and outraged. I remember thinking this city is completely fucked and a lost cause. I don't think anyone ever thought the city would ever become livable again.

The looting was confined to specific neighborhoods. Even today, some of these are still complete messes. When I see a headline about a shooting or violence, I can guess where it was and I'm usually right.

by Anonymousreply 88July 18, 2015 3:36 AM

I slept through it. I was taking summer session courses, which squeezed a whole semester into a short period of time. There was a ton of reading to be done, exams every week and papers to be written. I'd been studying hard and was exhausted. I fell asleep around 8 pm.

The next day I went to classes as usual and everyone was as tired as I was.. Went home and immediately started reading my text material. I didn't watch tv..!"'

It wasn't until 2 or 3 days later that I heard about it. I don't pay it much mind, because I believed at the time that it was confined to Harlem, the Bronx and parts of Brooklyn. I didn't live near those neighborhoods, so I just plowed on with my coursework.

by Anonymousreply 89July 18, 2015 4:22 AM

My parents were good friends with a then soap actress (who then moved to LA and did a shit ton of TV guest spots, you would think she would have been on her way to making it but it never happened for her) who lived at One Lincoln Plaza and had to walk up 16 flights of stairs to get to her apt.

She moved to LA soon after that - I think she had booked a spot on Barnaby Jones.

So that's my exciting blackout related story. I was all of a year old.

by Anonymousreply 90July 18, 2015 8:20 AM

R48

By the way, I still have a landline (push button with a curly cord), and it's the only phone I use when I'm home. If someone calls me on my cell, I call them back on the landline. Every time there's a blackout, I have full phone service. I will never give up my landline, unless they do away with them, which will make me very, very sad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91July 18, 2015 8:45 AM

R91 Unfortunately, Verizon gave up on landlines for entire neighborhoods after Hurricane Sandy. Instead, customers will have a sort-of hybrid landline/cellphone. Their phones will plug into the wall but will be connected to radio transceivers that connect to the telephone network.

R43 R44 R45 My uncle worked for Western Electric and GTE (predecessors to Verizon). I asked him about telephones having power during a blackout. The phone companies have huge room-size banks of batteries that power their lines. They are supposed to power all the phone lines for at least 100 hours before the batteries need recharged.

Verizon claims it has a reliability of 99.99% at connecting calls on the first try.

The phones provided by the phone company were built like tanks. If you purchased a phone instead of renting one from the phone company, they required you to call them and tell them that you connected a non-company device to their phone lines.

by Anonymousreply 92July 18, 2015 10:49 AM

My cousin was stuck in the subway during the 1977 blackout. I don't remember how many people were on the train, but after a while a group of African-American men came walking down the tunnel with flashlights. They then helped everyone walk the tracks back to a station.

by Anonymousreply 93July 18, 2015 10:53 AM

Grey at the temples???? If they were there, chances are they have a full head of silver hair or are bald in diapers. I wasn't even born yet in 77 and I'm already old.

by Anonymousreply 94July 18, 2015 11:15 AM

R92 - I had no idea. If anything, people with landlines were golden during Sandy, so why the change? Will this result in the inability to use the landline, for as long as you need, if there's blackout?

by Anonymousreply 95July 18, 2015 11:31 AM

R93 - Your post brought this to mind.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96July 18, 2015 11:35 AM

R96 that was on last night. Reminded me why I loved Seinfeld. And tbh I needed some reminding.

by Anonymousreply 97July 18, 2015 11:49 AM

R97 Yeah, Jerry has turned into quite the elitist snob. But it was the supporting characters; Elaine, Kramer, and George, that made the show.

by Anonymousreply 98July 18, 2015 12:30 PM

R98 it's always the Emmy-less one who turns out to be the best of the ensemble.

by Anonymousreply 99July 18, 2015 12:43 PM

Was watching a performance of Grease, when the lights went out . They finished the show with flashlights and any other source handy. Afterwards we made our way home (upper west side) to the distant sound of glass breaking...

by Anonymousreply 100July 18, 2015 12:59 PM

[quote] Just a pragmatic bystander who doesn't feel the need to torture someone because they used the wrong spelling of a word.

I doubt it's the OP who made he mistake. It's a common autocorrect error. Now let's all get on the rag like R16 did if "ill" becomes "I'll" and "hell" becomes "he'll" because it's ....you know ... so fucking important to point out common autocorrect glitches. Especially if the OP is on a smartphone and cant tell the autocorrect kicked in because the print is so goddamned small. It's imperative that we scream with menstrual fury at such grievous sins.

by Anonymousreply 101July 18, 2015 2:14 PM

[quote]By the way, I still have a landline (push button with a curly cord), and it's the only phone I use when I'm home. If someone calls me on my cell, I call them back on the landline. Every time there's a blackout, I have full phone service. I will never give up my landline, unless they do away with them, which will make me very, very sad.

Me too. I got mine in 1983 and it still works, though I had to get a new mouthpiece and I'm going to have to replace the internal ear thingy..people are sounding crackly.

I wish it had caller ID though.

I'll post a pic. The young ones probably don't know what they look like.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102July 18, 2015 2:46 PM

[quote]Most of Murray Hill springs to mind.

One can only imagine how Lucy and Ethel would have reacted. But then I remembered: they moved to Connecticut so they didn't have to deal with this shit.

by Anonymousreply 103July 18, 2015 2:48 PM

Turn off your autocorrect, r101.

by Anonymousreply 104July 18, 2015 2:58 PM

Years later I moved to a large apartment complex on the UES. Turns out that in hot days when demand was high, Con Ed would shut off power to our complex in order to prevent an overload. good times

by Anonymousreply 105July 18, 2015 3:14 PM

[quote] You do realize that if the power goes out that your cell phone's battery isn't instantly drained as well, right? Okay, let me be more generous, you probably meant that you keep the traditional landline in case there's an EXTENDED multi-day outage during which time your cell phone battery could die.

You do realize that when the power goes out, the power that is supplied to the cell phone companies is out, right? Also, during a disaster, cell towers may be rendered inoperable for a time.

by Anonymousreply 106July 18, 2015 3:24 PM

Oh Lucy I can't go looting dressed like this! I'm wearing my dungarees.

by Anonymousreply 107July 18, 2015 4:13 PM

I was conceived that fuckin night LOL

by Anonymousreply 108July 19, 2015 4:27 AM

R91 R95 I found this article which explains things further.

R96 Hilarious! Thanks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109July 19, 2015 7:14 AM

Ernestine for the Phone Company

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110July 19, 2015 7:16 AM

[quote]According to the PBS program, only a few of the looters were criminals. Most looters were poor, working class people who needed food and supplies to make ends meet.

That's the same bullshit that was spewed at the time to make excuses for the looting and now PBS is repeating it as fact 40 years later. It's still bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 111July 19, 2015 7:45 AM

In one of his books (or a book about him) Andy Warhol describes being in Philadelphia or somewhere with his entourage when they heard about it. Instead of staying put, which a normal person would do, they rushed back to New York--which had no lights or air conditioning. I guess they saw it as a big party. IIRC, Brigid Berlin talked about stealing a lot of drugs from a doctor's office but was disappointed with what she made off with in the dark.

by Anonymousreply 112July 19, 2015 8:03 AM

[quote] Also, during a disaster, cell towers may be rendered inoperable for a time.

Yer dern tootin

by Anonymousreply 113July 19, 2015 1:30 PM

In 1993, WTC was affected by the van bomb, but the rest of Manhattan wasn't....they thought.

Until all ATMs went out and every beeper in NYC was inoperable. It was a huge pain in the ass in the big hospitals, where all of our medical and managerial staffs were on pagers.

In 2001, we could see WTC with the smoke coming out of it from the upper floors of our hospital. Most people stood there, fixed to the spot. But those of us who had been around in 1993 ran. People who saw us probably thought we were running to some emergency command center, but we were running for the ATMs to pull out $200 before they went offline.

by Anonymousreply 114July 19, 2015 1:39 PM

I saw the PBS special and it was a big party in Manhattan. They showed footage of people getting drunk and doing sing-alongs in restaurants, which were lit by candlelight. Everybody was visibly shitfaced. People (white people) who were interviewed said it was a big party on the UES and UWS and they weren't aware of any looting/violence until after the fact. They were too busy partying and getting hammered.

There must have been SO MUCH fucking going on that night!

by Anonymousreply 115July 19, 2015 2:26 PM

One thing I like about Ma Bell is they always made it perfectly clear that they loved Ernestine and her humor.

by Anonymousreply 116July 19, 2015 2:27 PM

The Bronx is Burning is a really great book about this and so much else.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117April 25, 2020 4:07 AM

This seems like an innocent enough thread. Have you ever wondered what eventually earned a poster his red tag?

by Anonymousreply 118April 25, 2020 4:16 AM

[quote]This seems like an innocent enough thread. Have you ever wondered what eventually earned a poster his red tag?

One day you're in, and the next day, you're out.

by Anonymousreply 119April 25, 2020 4:19 AM

I just had my eyes replaced!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120April 25, 2020 4:28 AM

Was 1977 New York City's worst year?

by Anonymousreply 121April 25, 2020 4:51 AM

[quote]Was 1977 New York City's worst year?

Not for me, r121.

r11 r59

by Anonymousreply 122April 25, 2020 4:53 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123April 25, 2020 5:04 AM

Beware, this is another thread dredged up from Pre-Obama 2015, meant to suppress other current DL threads, probably those about Trump. Must be the 20th or so in the last couple of weeks.

Muriel, you know this is happening. Can’t you do something about it?

by Anonymousreply 124April 25, 2020 5:09 AM

R121 I think it's about to have a few to rival that one.

by Anonymousreply 125July 22, 2020 6:13 AM

I was at the old Edison Theatre on Broadway during a performance of OH! CALCUTTA! when the lights went out near the end of Act One. Some emergency lights came on, and the crew brought out some flashlights. The audience sat there - not sure whether this was a temporary thing or permanent. The cast was really cool about it and just sat around chatting with the audience until finally the stage manager came out and said that the blackout was city-wide and that the performance was canceled.

And what I really remember about that night was walking back from West 47th Street to my sublet on West 83rd Street with my cute Argentinian boyfriend Manuel. We arrived all sweaty, and I HATE SWEATY. But what could you do? We had really hot sex that night that lasted for hours, and when we finished the bed was drenched along with us. We just lay there catching our breaths by an open window with a hint of a breeze. I particularly remember the smells of sex. We were young.

by Anonymousreply 126July 22, 2020 6:52 AM

2015 bump troll must be running out of 2015 threads. They hit this one at R117 in April and again just recently at R124

by Anonymousreply 127July 22, 2020 7:07 AM

Thanks, Hall Monitor R127.

by Anonymousreply 128December 18, 2020 4:02 AM

R118, Troll 5814 is the 2015 bump bitch (which you probably realize by now).

by Anonymousreply 129December 18, 2020 4:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!