Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Novak Djokovic’s Gluten-Free Diet

This was an interesting read:

"Novak Djokovic, the number-one ranked tennis player in the world defeated Roger Federer in an epic Wimbledon final on Sunday — but he nearly didn’t get there at all. Here, in an exclusive excerpt from his book, Serve to Win, Djokovic explains how going gluten-free took him from second tier to the top of the rankings — and shows how you can do it, too.

“THIS IS A TEST THAT WILL help us see if your body is sensitive to certain foods,” Dr. Cetojevic told me.

We were not in a hospital or lab or doctor’s office. He was not drawing blood. There were no scanning devices or big, scary pieces of medical equipment. It was July 2010, at a tournament in Croatia, and Igor Cetojevic, M.D., a holistic practitioner from my native Serbia, was explaining to me that he thought he knew why I’d fallen apart so many times in the past, and how I could change my diet, my body, and my life for the better. Then he had me do something very strange.

He had me place my left hand on my belly, and put my right arm straight out to the side.

“I want you to resist the pressure,” he said as he pushed down on my right arm. After a moment, he stopped. “This is what your body should feel like,” he said.

Then, he gave me a slice of bread. Should I eat it?

“No,” he said, and laughed. “Hold it against your stomach, and put your right arm out again.” Once more, he pushed down on my arm, explaining to me that this crude test would tell me whether or not I was sensitive to gluten, the protein in wheat, barley, rye, and other common bread grains.

This seemed like madness.

And yet, there was a noticeable difference. With the bread against my stomach, my arm struggled to resist Dr. Cetojevic’s downward pressure. I was noticeably weaker.

“This is a sign that your body is rejecting the wheat in the bread,” he said. I had never heard the term “gluten intolerant,” but I had just taken the first steps in learning how big a role food had played in my life, how much my wheat-based diet had been holding me back — and how much was in my power to change. Dr. Cetojevic then explained to me that there were other, more scientific and more accurate ways of testing my sensitivities to certain foods. The best and most accurate is the ELISA test, which stands for enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. It’s a common blood test that’s used for everything from drug testing to diagnosing malaria and HIV to testing for food allergies.

The ELISA test can teach us very specific things about our bodies’ sensitivities to food. The most common sensitivities are to gluten, dairy, eggs, pork, soy, and nuts. Some of us have unusual sensitivities, or unexpected combinations of them; for example, my trainer, Miljan Amanovic, tested sensitive to pineapple and egg white. But once you know what you’re sensitive to, you can make dramatic changes almost effortlessly. (By eliminating just these two foods, Miljan lost 10 pounds in only a few weeks.)

When my blood test returned, the results were shocking: I was strongly intolerant to wheat and dairy, and had a mild sensitivity to tomatoes as well. “If you want your body to respond the way you’d like it to, you will need to stop eating bread,” Cetojevic said. “Stop eating cheese. Cut down on tomatoes.” “But Doctor,” I replied. “My parents own a pizza parlor!”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 22, 2022 5:24 PM

The idea of giving up bread and other gluten-containing foods — foods that were so precious to me, so ingrained in my life, my family, and my culture — was scary.

Then Dr. Cetojevic explained that I shouldn’t pledge to give up bread forever. As the saying goes, forever is a very long time. “Two weeks,” he said. “You give it up for fourteen days, and then you call me.”

It was hard at first. I craved the soft, chewy, comforting feel of bread. I craved crunchy pizza dough, sweet rolls, and all the foods that I learned contained wheat, things I had never suspected.

For the first week or so, I craved these foods, but I focused each day on staying disciplined, and fortunately, my family and friends — even though they thought I was crazy — supported me in my quest. But as the days rolled along, I began to feel different. I felt lighter, more energetic. The nighttime stuffiness I had lived with for fifteen years suddenly disappeared.

By the end of the first week, I no longer wanted rolls and cookies and breads; it was as if a lifelong craving had miraculously abated. Every day for the next week, I woke up feeling as though I’d had the best night’s sleep of my life. I was beginning to believe.

And that’s when Dr. Cetojevic suggested I eat a bagel.

This was the true test, he explained. Eliminate a food for fourteen days, then eat it and see what happens. And remarkably, the day after I introduced gluten back into my diet, I felt like I’d spent the night drinking whiskey! I was sluggish getting out of bed, just as I had been during my teenage years. I was dizzy.

My stuffiness was back. I felt as though I’d woken up with a hangover.

“This is the proof,” the doctor said. “This is what your body is giving you to show you it’s intolerant.” And I pledged from that moment on that whatever my body told me, I’d listen.

by Anonymousreply 1July 14, 2015 12:27 AM

Removing gluten from your diet can have many benefits but its removal can result in an intolerance to It that wasn't there before.

by Anonymousreply 2July 14, 2015 12:34 AM

Without bread many people in antiquity would have died out. So many people lived on it. When did it became the villain? Even the Bible says "give us our daily bread" and I just point out that to point how long it has been consumed.

by Anonymousreply 3July 14, 2015 12:37 AM

That test holding the slice of bread to his tummy was fucking dumb.

Whatever works for him. I don't give a shit really.

by Anonymousreply 4July 14, 2015 12:38 AM

Gluten as a food for humans has a very short time period in evolution - only about 10.000 years ago was it introduced to human diet. Many people still have a gene which is intolerant to gluten. Many people are lactose intolerant particularly east Asians. There are many food items which cause problems. But each individual is different as to what their body will tolerate. I don't tolerate republicans. They make my stomach upset and I feel ill listening to them.

by Anonymousreply 5July 14, 2015 12:52 AM

ok, here is a silly question, how do you know whether you are "gluten tolerant" or not, I am asking about the people with mild intolerance, not those who have severe or even deadly reactions to gluten. Besides medical testing, are there any other ways to identify the intolerance?

by Anonymousreply 6July 14, 2015 12:54 AM

Well Novak is a pro athlete with the dexterity of rubber. I am not, therefore my life with pasta and bread will continue and I will love it!

by Anonymousreply 7July 14, 2015 12:55 AM

R3, the grains of yesteryear are not the same as what we consume today. Simple as that.

by Anonymousreply 8July 14, 2015 12:59 AM

What exactly does it mean to be "lactose" or "gluten" intolerant? You fart and have diarrhea? What?

by Anonymousreply 9July 14, 2015 1:07 AM

I had some doctor test me the same way, minus the bread. I had to put my arms out and resist pressure. Only this was testing for yeast. I thought she was a quack.

by Anonymousreply 10July 14, 2015 1:10 AM

Love him.

by Anonymousreply 11July 14, 2015 1:14 AM

Having celiac disease myself, an interesting and informative read for those wanting to know more.

-----

The great gluten-free diet fad

12 July 2015

Millions of people around the world are giving up gluten. I know why I stopped buying traditional bread and cakes, but I'm unsure about everyone else, writes William Kremer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 14, 2015 1:24 AM

So if you are not intolerant you are good then? I love bread.

by Anonymousreply 13July 14, 2015 1:28 AM

This is stupid.

My sister has celiac disease and was extremely ill before diagnosis.

Giving up gluten is far more involved than just giving up bread.

Gluten is in so many many things.

Even non food items had to change because gluten is in most makeup, hair color, laxatives,etc.... She had to search for what few brands make those items gluten free.

Gluten free should be limited to those with actual celiac disease. Anything else is just pretentious.

by Anonymousreply 14July 14, 2015 2:07 AM

R14 - A friend of mine has celiac with hypersensitibity, to gluten and experiences the same issues with toothpaste etc.. Even the gluten in the air from the bakery in a grocery store can have an effect.

She was previously diagnosed with M.E, as were many people before greater awareness of gluten and sensitivities. Being around wifi affects her badly aswell. Part of her difficulty is peoples lack of awareness and tendancy to think its neurotic. I think there will be greater understanding and acceptance of these issues with time.

by Anonymousreply 15July 14, 2015 8:12 PM

if anyone finds the controversy of gluten intolerance interesting - the relationship between milk and hormone based cancer is even moreso.

It has been suggested in highly highly controversial research that milk feeds tumour growth. Breast cancer, almost unheard of in china where there was previously no milk industry.

Wheat and Milk = massive industries

by Anonymousreply 16July 14, 2015 8:20 PM

Because this is just the "special flower illness du jour".

So tired of people and their list of "allergies" or other "medical conditions" that they need to endlessly harp on. It's tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 17July 14, 2015 8:48 PM

I don't know why people find it so hard to accept that allergies/intolerances might be more prevalent now compared to in the past. Even if you accept that GMOs, formula feeding etc. have not had a negative impact on human health, it still makes sense that there would be more problems now than before. Advancements in sanitation have slashed the rates of infant and childhood mortality, so genetic weaklings who'd have been weeded out early on are now surviving to adulthood, along with all their health issues.

by Anonymousreply 18July 14, 2015 9:05 PM

Fuck this! We're all gonna die and I, for one, am going to go out full of bread and cookies!

by Anonymousreply 19July 14, 2015 9:32 PM

[quote]Advancements in sanitation have slashed the rates of infant and childhood mortality, so genetic weaklings who'd have been weeded out early on are now surviving to adulthood, along with all their health issues.

Smartest thing I've read recently. Thanks dear r18.

by Anonymousreply 20July 14, 2015 9:40 PM

Djokovic seems really high maintenance.

by Anonymousreply 21June 19, 2021 10:15 PM

Thank you, OP. I needed to read this today. I have recently reduced wheat and tomatoes out of my diet after realizing I have had an allergic reaction to them. i share this with because I had no idea about any of it until now.

For years, I have gone to bed and woken up with congestion. Very hard to breathe through one or both nostrils. I thought it was seasonal allergies or bad air filtration in my house. I also noticed on occasion that I would feel a scratchy throat and almost slight burning sensation in my sinuses.

At the start of the year, I did a cleanse for 10 days and all of those symptoms went away. I was shocked but thrilled. I could breathe through both nostrils with no problem. I could sleep through the night much better. After the cleanse, I decided to go to one meal a day. As soon as I started to eat bread products, the congestion came back. When I ate tomato based products, the burning sensation returned.

I truly believe most people don’t pay attention to what foods cause reactions in them. I’m getting an ELISA test with my next doctor’s visit. I share this in case anyone out there has experienced similar symptoms and just accepted it.

by Anonymousreply 22June 19, 2021 11:22 PM

If you have celiac disease, then you should be on gluten free diet. But majority of social media snowflakes are not gluten intolerant. They have good old IBS and should be on fodmap diet, but theyre a little crazy and wanna be special so they hop on the celiac bandwagon.

by Anonymousreply 23June 19, 2021 11:32 PM

[quote]I had to put my arms out and resist pressure.

It's called muscle testing. A chiropractor had me do it to figure out out which supplements to overcharge me for.

R15, what is M.E?

by Anonymousreply 24June 19, 2021 11:47 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 25October 21, 2022 5:20 AM

Gluten-free is nonsense unless you've got one of a few digestive disorders.

by Anonymousreply 26October 21, 2022 5:37 AM

Lol at this 7-year-old thread being bumped.

R26, that's not strictly true. My girlfriend has a thyroid condition and was told to avoid/limit gluten and sugar because thyroid issues, celiac disease and diabetes can trigger each other. As a result, I've also been consuming a lot less gluten (and sugar) and find that I'm less groggy, more energetic, I don't get the tummy ache that I used to have very often and my sciatica has reduced. And I was already following a healthy diet and don't have any digestive problems.

We now mostly eat sourdough as well as pastas made with so-called heritage flours (like emmer, einkorn and spelt), which haven't been through the appalling modern industrialised processing that modern wheat goes through. This is more of a low-gluten rather than entirely gluten-free diet, but it's also based on quality wheats ("gluten-free wheat" is pretty gross). The other thing to check is the use of gluten as an additive - you'll find it's in a lot more food and other things we consume (e.g. tablets) than you realise.

Gut health is important and can affect how you feel in ways you don't realise. Human guts were not made to eat modern wheat.

by Anonymousreply 27October 21, 2022 10:51 AM

Corn (maize) makes people violent and antisocial. Look at cultures which have been an orgy of human sacrifice: Maya, Aztec, modern USA. 85% of their calories came from corn (maize). Gluten may be a European problem, but it rarely affects Americans, who have been driven to murderous frenzy by their corn-in-everything diet.

by Anonymousreply 28October 21, 2022 12:01 PM

The Pepe/cult years made a lot more sense if you already knew about the bread test. Then there are his thoughts on water... He's as extraordinarily dumb as he is talented.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 21, 2022 12:19 PM

This old article is unfortunate and does not contain a scintilla a accuracy. Celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder where one of the proteins in gluten causes a reaction at the level of the intestinal lining. Lactose intolerance is a perfectly normal lack of the enzyme lactase which digests lactose- probably the more dominant trait than having the enzyme. No one should self diagnose a “gluten sensitivity”. Novak is a bit of a nut as is this fellow who performed this “evaluation.” The fad that gluten free diets are somehow healthy is at best a fad.

by Anonymousreply 30October 21, 2022 12:42 PM

Novak is a despicable anti-vaxxer. Canceled. Thread closed.

by Anonymousreply 31October 21, 2022 2:55 PM

Everybody's looking for a disease to get attention, gluten intolerance affects almost no one.

by Anonymousreply 32October 21, 2022 3:10 PM

Uh no R32. Everyone is not an attention whore like yourself.

by Anonymousreply 33October 22, 2022 5:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!