Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

LIVE AID was 30 years ago today!

I remember watching it, waiting for my favorite artists...and Madonna.

Link below to the amazing set by Queen.

My god, time goes by quickly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72July 21, 2020 1:03 AM

Well, now I feel old. I was a kid at the time and had been looking forward to seeing Elton John, so the family set aside the afternoon to watch just so I could catch Elton. But I had an allergic reaction to some medication the night before and I was still under the effects of that, shivering underneath blankets even though it must have been 95F inside and out.

And then Elton looked like a complete dork.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 13, 2015 3:23 PM

Queen was AMAZING! I also loved this one. I had such a crush on Ben.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 13, 2015 3:35 PM

I was a kid when this was on and the two things I remember are how amazing Queen were and the duff note Simon Le Bon hit during Duran Duran's set.

by Anonymousreply 3July 13, 2015 3:44 PM

R3 - Now that's "a note" that needs a link. ;)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 13, 2015 3:49 PM

Of all times to have throat problems...

by Anonymousreply 5July 13, 2015 3:51 PM

Holy cow, I missed that epic Simon Le Bon gaffe at the time. Ouch.

by Anonymousreply 6July 13, 2015 5:59 PM

This is where I first took note of Whitney Houston.

by Anonymousreply 7July 13, 2015 7:19 PM

...and here is Bette introducing that embarrassing set by Madonna....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 13, 2015 7:27 PM

Madonna's set was fun, and this was the most iconic period of her career.

I enjoyed watching your clip, r8.

by Anonymousreply 9July 13, 2015 9:13 PM

I watched for the Pretenders.

by Anonymousreply 10July 13, 2015 9:16 PM

Holy cow, it was really 30 years ago?

I was at camp. I remember a whole bunch of the counselors all "called out sick" that day in order to watch. At the time, I thought they went, and was so jealous.

by Anonymousreply 11July 13, 2015 10:02 PM

Great concert, but one of the most jaw dropping moments was feminist singer-songwriter Joan Baez gushingly rushing over to flavor-of-the-year heartthrob Don Johnson and saying, "Could we discuss the possibility of rape?"

by Anonymousreply 12July 13, 2015 10:18 PM

Nowadays, when you attend a concert or watch a concert on youtube from the past 10 years to present; the most glaring thing is the thousands and thousands of cell phones being held up to photograph and/or video the concert. Live Aid - so great seeing no cell phones; just people enjoying the music immensely. I'd forgotten what that was like.

by Anonymousreply 13July 13, 2015 10:23 PM

lmao at those amateur dance moves and flat notes during Madonna's poor performance. She really is not talented. This was her last-pre-glam appearance and boy did she look ordinary. She was no beauty.

by Anonymousreply 14July 13, 2015 10:34 PM

I had to do a computer upgrade that day, I was so bummed. I didn't know anyone who watched it.

by Anonymousreply 15July 13, 2015 10:38 PM

The Pretenders - Middle Of The Road (Live Aid)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 13, 2015 10:43 PM

I remember spending the whole day recording it on my VCR machine, so I can have it to watch years later. I did watch the whole thing over the course of another weekend once. Little did I know it would be available to buy on DVD 20 years later.

by Anonymousreply 17July 13, 2015 10:53 PM

Patti LaBelle OWNED Live Aid! She definitely had the most amazing performances of the night and was clearly the best talent.

by Anonymousreply 18July 14, 2015 12:41 AM

Patti "Forever Young"

simply amazing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 14, 2015 12:51 AM

Started watching from the get-go while doing my Saturday morning housecleaning, tuning in just in time to see Nicholson kissing Baez.

The TV stayed on all morning, and all afternoon, and most of the night. It really WAS something to see.

by Anonymousreply 20July 14, 2015 5:09 AM

I remember Phil Collins preforming in London, then taking a Concorde jet to the US and performing in Philadelphia in the evening.

by Anonymousreply 21July 14, 2015 10:57 AM

OP, you waited 30 years ago to diss Madonna? Was it worth it?

by Anonymousreply 22July 19, 2020 4:40 AM

Sorry, R18. Queen owned Live Aid.

by Anonymousreply 23July 19, 2020 4:45 AM

It was in 85, so thirty FIVE years ago, OP.

by Anonymousreply 24July 19, 2020 4:56 AM

Prince gifted Madonna with that awesome coat she wore onstage.

I recall watching a lot of it at a friend’s house but I dont remember any of the acts that I watched live. I was a big Duran fan so that’s probably who I most wanted to see.

by Anonymousreply 25July 19, 2020 5:14 AM

Make that 35 years ago today! And we all stopped watching while QUEEN was on stage. Most overrated band ever.

by Anonymousreply 26July 19, 2020 5:16 AM

You should have checked the date of the OP before you tried snarking, R24.

by Anonymousreply 27July 19, 2020 5:17 AM

I recorded all of Live Aid. I had that Duran Duran bum note on repeat for days, just playing it for my best friends and cracking the fuck up! It was amazing. Simon Le Bon really made history with that bum note.

by Anonymousreply 28July 19, 2020 5:19 AM

R28 What is a bum note?

by Anonymousreply 29July 19, 2020 5:20 AM

Simon's bad note is not nearly as bad as I remembered. Maybe I'm just nostalgic for live singing.

by Anonymousreply 30July 19, 2020 5:21 AM

This was the sexiest moment of Live Aid by far. And also the beginning of the end of Adam Ant's career, sadly. He was fucking great. It wasn't the right time or something.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31July 19, 2020 5:21 AM

r 28 Watch the clip. Simon Le Bon's voice goes out completely in the middle of a note

by Anonymousreply 32July 19, 2020 5:23 AM

R31, he went into acting for a bit, then tried a comeback in the 90s with moderate success. I loved Adam Ant and wished he had a longer set at Live Aid. Bob Geldof being the dick he is said Adam was too over the hill to get more than 1 song, or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 33July 19, 2020 5:26 AM

R33 I am an Adam Ant historophile, I've done tons of research on him. Jjust crazy about him. And I agree, he got massively gypped by Bob. He was so popular at the time and could have done a full set. It was political.

by Anonymousreply 34July 19, 2020 5:34 AM

I was there. London. Jealous?

by Anonymousreply 35July 19, 2020 5:39 AM

I didn't watch it. By that time I had tired of "Aid" benefits and it seemed like some kind of British thing. Also, it didn't make much sense funneling any more money to a place in Africa that was basically uninhabitable.

by Anonymousreply 36July 19, 2020 5:43 AM

When did Diana Ross come and push the emaciated orphan off the stage?

by Anonymousreply 37July 19, 2020 5:49 AM

Maybe it was just me and my friends but Queen was a joke. Freddy Mercury was a poser. Their songs were insipid. Def the part of Live Aid where everyone was like WTF is Queen doing there? Lets chat.

by Anonymousreply 38July 19, 2020 5:50 AM

The way I remember it, Queen had become a joke, but Live Aid reminded people how good they were live and how catchy their songs were. They had huge record sales after the concert. So did U2 and Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 39July 19, 2020 5:56 AM

R35 I am jealous. Happy?

by Anonymousreply 40July 19, 2020 6:42 AM

R26: Who is “we”? You and your rural ol’ family?

by Anonymousreply 41July 19, 2020 6:47 AM

Sorry, calling bullshit. Queen literally dominated Live Aid and everyone knows it. And I'm not a huge Queen fan. But it was epic and gave me goose bumps. And they will always be known as the band that kicked so much fucking ASS at Live Aid (which otherwise was a mistake).

by Anonymousreply 42July 19, 2020 6:51 AM

U2 and Dire Straits owned Live Aid bitches. Bonos mullet and schweaty balls make my life to this day!

by Anonymousreply 43July 19, 2020 6:53 AM

I was there. Philadelphia.

by Anonymousreply 44July 19, 2020 7:12 AM

How could you both have been there in diff cities? I’m confused.

by Anonymousreply 45July 19, 2020 7:15 AM

I agree that Queen is overrated btw. And that Queen biopic was torturous.

by Anonymousreply 46July 19, 2020 7:19 AM

Queen is regarded as brilliant by many, many renowned musicians. Their clever writing, with all four members penning huge hits, Freddie’s bigger-than-life stage presence, innovative recording techniques, etc.

YOU may not like them, but that doesn’t automatically disqualify the band as “overrated”.

by Anonymousreply 47July 19, 2020 12:37 PM

[quote] I am jealous. Happy?

I am happy. Jealous?

by Anonymousreply 48July 19, 2020 2:36 PM

No, Queen was a total joke at the time. They come off of Radio Gaga and had no credibility. It was only after Freddie Mercury died and AIDS activists needed someone that they became "respectable" again.

They were not thought of highly at the time. Just read back magazines of Billboard, they are online at Google Books.

by Anonymousreply 49July 19, 2020 6:44 PM

U2 Live Aid with the Bono mullet excellence, for your viewing pleasure!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50July 19, 2020 6:54 PM

Dire Straits with Sting doing Money for Nothing aka I want my MTV...now that song about a specific time. I wonder if Millennials have any idea how big a deal MTV was back in 1985!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51July 19, 2020 6:57 PM

Madonna’s performance was boring as fuck. I never got the hype around her.

by Anonymousreply 52July 19, 2020 6:59 PM

R49, Yet Queen are better liked than a lot of their more respectable contemporaries in 2020. U2’s fan base is almost entirely over 40 while Queen is loved by people of all ages but especially children.

They’re legacy will still be standing when u2’s lame white music is forgotten.. Because Queen’s music is timeless and memeoriable.

by Anonymousreply 53July 19, 2020 7:02 PM

I was a teenager in the mid 80’s and I recall that the pre-show hype was all about the legacy acts like Led Zep and McCartney but that in the months and years that followed, U2.were considered the breakthrough act at Live Aid.

It seemed to me that only after Freddie’s death did Americans say that Queen was the best performance.

by Anonymousreply 54July 20, 2020 4:47 PM

I was not quite a teenager but I freaking loved it, and was so glad to finally see it on YouTube years later.

My favorite performance was Alison Moyet and Paul Young. I had never seen or heard her before, but loved her voice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55July 20, 2020 4:50 PM

I remember Madonna performing and thinking, she must be sweating like a pig in that coat!

by Anonymousreply 56July 20, 2020 5:09 PM

I watched the entire day. Remember it was a super-hot day and I lived on the third floor of a brownstone with no AC.

by Anonymousreply 57July 20, 2020 5:17 PM

R54, I was only 10 when Live Aid happened, but I remember vividly both U2 and Queen got a lot of attention/praise for great performances and connecting with the huge audience. Phil Collins also got a lot of attention for playing both shows. And everyone went crazy over Tina Turner joining the Rolling Stones. They all got a huge boost in their record sales after.

R56, the concert was right after Playboy published her nude pics. Madonna mentioned being hot in the coat and then said she wasn't taking it off so no one could hold it against her later. She also got a lot of attention for her performance and a sales boost.

by Anonymousreply 58July 20, 2020 5:32 PM

I was 17 then and watched nearly the entire concert live on TV. It started midday here and went on till late in the night. Can't remember much, but do remember that Phil Collins performed on both concerts [thanks to the Concorde] and a very calm but also impressive performance from Tracy Chapman. Wish I could actually remember Queen.

by Anonymousreply 59July 20, 2020 6:10 PM

Madonna did the first of many reinventions for this show, ditching her at that time very iconic "Desperately Seeking Susan" look to go for a more conservative appearance. Nude photos of her were also published days before, so there was a lot of controversy surrounding her. Dick Clark wanted to put one of her numbers in the prime time ABC special of the show, but executives said no, because they'd thought she would be forgotten within the next year or two. Dick thought they were foolish and did it anyway.

by Anonymousreply 60July 20, 2020 6:21 PM

It's kinda ironic Alison Moyet had a hit song titled "Invisible".

by Anonymousreply 61July 20, 2020 6:28 PM

Oopsie, checked Tracy Chapman again and... jeah... it was a different concert [for Nelson Mandela in 1988]. So I actually can remember- nothing! Lol. I think I'm just getting old.

by Anonymousreply 62July 20, 2020 6:50 PM

Madonna had been dominating the news because of nude modeling photos surfaced from her early days. The fact that she had a lot of body hair freaked everyone out, at that exact time it was uncool to admit you liked Madonna hence her reception at Live Aid was somewhat tepid. On the other hand though, I enjoyed her performance then and still enjoy it now. She was growing as a performer, it’s nice to see how she started out. And those uncut Blatino singer/dancers....yum

by Anonymousreply 63July 20, 2020 6:51 PM

I wasn't born.

by Anonymousreply 64July 20, 2020 7:34 PM

It's fun that Madonna was onstage with Thompson Twins. The Madonna of 2020 would NEVER do something like that....

by Anonymousreply 65July 20, 2020 11:11 PM

I watched almost all of it live that day. I remember the feeling that it was an historic moment. Never before had almost the entire roster of pop music stars gathered for one event. Much longer list of stars than Woodstock or any other event. It was an amazing day. Then, it seemed that it was all pretty quickly forgotten...

by Anonymousreply 66July 20, 2020 11:18 PM

Madonna was also a background vocalist during the Thompson Twins set. The first and only time she's ever done that.

I miss early Madonna though. Her performance was rough and ragged, but there was a positive energy and spirit about her that you couldn't ignore. It's easy to understand why people didn't think she wouldn't last long at the time, but you could also get where she would be a huge sensation. She was so much fun in the eighties. She was good in the 90's, but she started taking herself too seriously, and becoming more humorless. By the 2000's forget it.

by Anonymousreply 67July 20, 2020 11:19 PM

Can we sing "irony" in four-part harmony?

I asked Bob Keating, a superb young investigative reporter who had just started working with us, to look into this for a story. The assignment was simple — all this money had been raised, where was it going, was it actually doing good?

He discovered it was not doing good, but, horrifically, unimaginably, the exact opposite. The Ethiopian dictator, Mengistu, until then deadlocked in the war, was using the money the west gave him to buy sophisticated weapons from the Russians, and was now able to efficiently and viciously crush the opposition. Ethiopia, then the third poorest country in the world, suddenly had the largest, best equipped army on the African continent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68July 20, 2020 11:31 PM

I was there in Philly. It was a long ass day. The heat was relentless. The first act to get people going was (of all people) Billy Ocean. They introduced cherry coke there. Mick & tina were great. Ozzy & black sabath went over well. They played a video of sometimes it snows in april by prince. They showed some of inxs from australia. The #1 song that week was by reo speedwagon, who played it. Led zep really started up the energy. A lot of bathrooms had the pipes riped out with knee ankle deep water (gross). - if you had to piss you missed an entire act. We smoked so much reefer. Pretenders , tom petty , madonna (in a very prince like outfit) performed with thompson twins were fun. Patti labelle went on forever. We went to the jersey shore (my parents owned a place) afterward & crashed. That’s my memories. I believe the tocket was $50

by Anonymousreply 69July 20, 2020 11:35 PM

Ment ankle deep water in bathrooms.

by Anonymousreply 70July 20, 2020 11:36 PM

R68, what the rest of the world doesn't get about Africa and much of the Middle East is that the clan/tribe is everything and there is forever animosity between clans. The animosity varies between needing to pay off politicians and government officials if they are not of the same clan to outright murder. I'm sure the dictator's clan got very rich also.

by Anonymousreply 71July 20, 2020 11:39 PM

Don’t look at me, things were fine when I was running the place.

by Anonymousreply 72July 21, 2020 1:03 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!