Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why did Dody Goodman yell Mary Hartman Mary Hartman at the beginning of the show?

Wasn't that her daughter?

by Anonymousreply 15June 6, 2020 7:21 AM

It added to the melodrama. Omg, I loved, 'Mary Hartman.' One of the funniest shows ever. Louise Lasser and especially Mary Kay Place as Loretta Haggers cracked me up. Damn, MKP was funny.

by Anonymousreply 1July 13, 2015 6:26 AM

I just started watching. The way Mary talks in TV commecial jingo is cracking me up. "Would you like some sausages, brown and serve. Would you like some eggs, farm fresh".

by Anonymousreply 2July 13, 2015 6:36 AM

This is the kind of stuff I love DL for. I'd never even heard of this program until seeing this thread. Taking it that it wasn't a big hit given its relatively short run or was it just unsustainable given the gruel of a daily production schedule? From the description it sounds like it might have been a touch ahead of its time? Is it available to stream somewhere? I'm on the dole, so buying isn't an option for me.

I loved Louise Lasser on GIRLS (I know, I know, eldergays, you hate GIRLS). And Mary Kay Place is just note perfect in everything she does. Reading this thread got me in a mini Wikipedia black hole. Although it's a shame that Mary Kay Place isn't a bigger star, she has a HUGE resume. Woman seems to have hardly ever been out work. Interesting to note that she also wrote several scripts including for MASH and The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

by Anonymousreply 3July 13, 2015 7:38 AM

Did Mary ever solve the problem of waxy yellow build-up?

Here she is on YouTube, R3.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 13, 2015 7:40 AM

Louise Lasser is hysterical. She is the Madeline Kahn of the living.

by Anonymousreply 5March 23, 2017 11:56 AM

I think because on soaps, they always repeated themselves back then.

by Anonymousreply 6June 6, 2020 4:25 AM

[Quote] This is the kind of stuff I love DL for. I'd never even heard of this program until seeing this thread.

You've never seen "Tales of the City"?

by Anonymousreply 7June 6, 2020 4:40 AM

I always loved Mary Kay Place saying, "I could write a song about that." This was my go to after school show when I was a sophomore in high school

by Anonymousreply 8June 6, 2020 5:00 AM

If you love Louise Lasser as Mary Hartman you should check out her hilariously off the wall performance as mother of deranged twins in a low budget 1987 slasher movie called Blood Rage which is streaming on Amazon Prime.

by Anonymousreply 9June 6, 2020 5:04 AM

Claudia Lamb sure had a limited career. I thought she had a droll sense of comic timing as Heather. Maybe she grew-up to be fugly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 6, 2020 5:12 AM

I never got that coked out humor. I guess when you only have 3 channels to chose from.

by Anonymousreply 11June 6, 2020 5:35 AM

It may have been based on the Goldberg's opening, or some other old timey TV soap opening.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 6, 2020 6:32 AM

Being stoned would definitely be beneficial in properly appreciating the show's vibe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 6, 2020 6:59 AM

The whole series (it was on 5 days a week) is on you tube. I'm on episode 32 and it's hysterical.

Louise Lasser is really fantastic as Mary, and Mary Kay Place is hilarious.

(i find her husband tom hotter than the hot cop)

by Anonymousreply 14June 6, 2020 7:10 AM

R10 Claudia Lamb has a blog where she has posted very detailed stories about her career. Her very abusive parents stole almost all of the money she made.

by Anonymousreply 15June 6, 2020 7:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!