Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Can you throw yourself a housewarming party?

Or is that strictly one of those occasions that someone else has to host for you?

by Anonymousreply 34August 22, 2020 10:32 PM

yes, why not?

by Anonymousreply 1July 12, 2015 2:00 PM

I'm so fucking sick of cheap, greedy looking for ways to shake-down friends and relatives.

by Anonymousreply 2July 12, 2015 2:09 PM

Of course, you'll insist "No Gifts" in the invitation.

by Anonymousreply 3July 12, 2015 2:12 PM

you all sound like a bunch of cunts. everyone loves a party, invite who you want for any reason you want. over.

by Anonymousreply 4July 12, 2015 2:13 PM

OP: Guests feel extra special when told:

[quote]"Come, join me! Share the love of friendship! I am so excited about my new place and just want to share this joy with you! Please fill enclosed envelope with CASH ONLY (completely voluntary BUT PLEASE NOTE anything less than $100 will NOT get you in the door) and put a stamp on it and MAIL to the below address just in case the party gets cancelled for any reason (NO rain tickets or REFUNDS!). NO GIFTS! :)

by Anonymousreply 5July 12, 2015 2:57 PM

Throw a party. Don't call it a housewarming. Problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 6July 12, 2015 3:04 PM

Anyone can host a housewarming. I agree with R6 though, if you insist on labeling it, maybe refer to it as an open house or something that emphasizes a party atmosphere and not "give me free stuff." Unless... Is the purpose of the party to receive gifts? I haven't been to a gift seeking housewarming in a while, most people I know wait until the house is done to show it off, but I imagine it would be like registering for a wedding if you want gifts.

by Anonymousreply 7July 12, 2015 3:17 PM

I'll bring my Death By Chocolate Lick Pops!

by Anonymousreply 8July 12, 2015 3:20 PM

I had a friend who threw himself a housewarming and specifically requested tools for fixing up the house. Kelly was fond of bragging about the rental properties he was buying to flip. The party was well attended. He got no gifts, though I brought beer. He embarrassed himself in a way that is only fixed my moving far, far away.

by Anonymousreply 9July 12, 2015 3:24 PM

Does the term housewarming automatically imply that you're looking for gifts. I think putting no gifts on the invitation is very tacky.

by Anonymousreply 10July 12, 2015 3:28 PM

[quote] I think putting no gifts on the invitation is very tacky.

Not nearly as tacky as sending out an invitation for the purpose of getting them.

Anyone with manners will bring a gift when going to someone else's home. But that means a $20 bottle of wine; not a $600 Vitamix blender.

by Anonymousreply 11July 12, 2015 3:31 PM

Why is us tacky, R10? Even you don't know if "Housewarming Party" means to bring or not to bring gifts.

by Anonymousreply 12July 12, 2015 3:32 PM

Shouldn't you age out of some of the gift giving traditions? Anyways implicit in calling a party a "housewarming" is gift giving.

by Anonymousreply 13July 12, 2015 3:51 PM

I think a "Housewarming" is only appropriate for your first place. And only if you are in your early 20s.

by Anonymousreply 14July 12, 2015 3:54 PM

Couldn't you just wait for Ethel Mertz and Betty Ramsey to have a surprise housewarming for you?

by Anonymousreply 15July 12, 2015 3:56 PM

Can I come?

by Anonymousreply 16July 12, 2015 3:59 PM

R16 No

by Anonymousreply 17July 12, 2015 4:01 PM

No, R15. Then I have to give Ethel a gift of those Hostess Pants I saw in Harpers Bazaar.

by Anonymousreply 18July 12, 2015 7:58 PM

What are you afraid of OP? That Emily post is going to come knocking and arrest you for a faux pas?

by Anonymousreply 19July 12, 2015 8:05 PM

[quote] Why is us tacky

That's right up there with "Why are straight me so stupid?"

by Anonymousreply 20July 12, 2015 8:11 PM

No. Wait a couple of months and then asks select friends over for a get together. Do not use the word "housewarming" or any other thinly veiled suggestion you want free stuff.

by Anonymousreply 21July 12, 2015 8:24 PM

Part of me feels like since I am never planning on getting married or having kids, if I ever buy a house, why shouldn't I get to register for and receive gifts the way other people do with showers? I will definitely need things. Of course, I would never do it, because I don't like being the center of attention anyway. Having a party and people bringing wine wouldn't appeal to me, because I don't drink and it actually would be more convenient to be registered because there's a lot of specific kitchen gadgets I want and don't currently have room for.

by Anonymousreply 22July 12, 2015 8:34 PM

Create a Gofundme page, R22. You might mention on it that you wouldn't do it, except that life is so unfair.

by Anonymousreply 23July 12, 2015 10:18 PM

R22 is a greedy, greedy bastard and deserves nothing. I hope when you were a child Santa left a lump of coal in your stocking.

by Anonymousreply 24July 12, 2015 10:41 PM

[quote]if I ever buy a house, why shouldn't I get to register for and receive gifts the way other people do with showers?

Because you have your pride, your dignity, and your sense of propriety. Oh, wait, no you don't.

by Anonymousreply 25July 12, 2015 10:44 PM

Yeah, r18. Those pants sure were bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 26July 12, 2015 10:58 PM

R6 is rights. Just have a party at your new place. Do not call it a housewarming. Yes, that would be tacky.

by Anonymousreply 27July 12, 2015 11:00 PM

R18 Just how big IS your potamus?

by Anonymousreply 28July 12, 2015 11:47 PM

R6 is always right.

by Anonymousreply 29July 12, 2015 11:50 PM

It is unfair. There is no tradition for single people who set out on their own, and of course they need household items as much as a young couple does. It took me nearly, as a single guy, 13 years to get plates and silverware and good towels and all that. However, that is the way our culture it. Accept it.

by Anonymousreply 30July 14, 2015 2:56 AM

I agree with R14. Although these days people do seem to completely shameless in asking friends/family/strangers to "give me stuff!"

by Anonymousreply 31July 14, 2015 3:47 AM

Technically yes it is. You NEVER throw any party for yourself, officially that is. This is why wedding invitations traditionally have the brides parents invite you to their child's wedding, even when they have nothing to do with it.

If you want to throw yourself a housewarming part and be within etiquette, simply have a friend send the invitations out and have him say he's hosting a housewarming part for so and so. He doesn't have to actually do anything.

by Anonymousreply 32July 14, 2015 2:12 PM

In this day and age, there's barely anything resembling etiquette. Throw the damn party, and don't expect anything because you probably won't get anything. Be happy if anyone even considers getting you something, not that you'd know.

by Anonymousreply 33July 14, 2015 2:19 PM

R2 Agreed. Such poor taste.

by Anonymousreply 34August 22, 2020 10:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!