Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Did you ever act in a play while in middle of high school?

If so what part did you play?

Did you audition, or just given the part?

by Anonymousreply 98March 15, 2022 11:12 PM

Yes and we auditioned and weirdly enough we used to write the plays, although sometimes they were adaptations of movies and books.

by Anonymousreply 1July 12, 2015 12:07 AM

In middle, Program/Major Troll?

by Anonymousreply 2July 12, 2015 12:08 AM

R1 what part did u play?

by Anonymousreply 3July 12, 2015 12:08 AM

Of should be OR

In Middle School OR High School

by Anonymousreply 4July 12, 2015 12:09 AM

In high school I auditioned for Funny Girl and was one of the dancers.

by Anonymousreply 5July 12, 2015 12:12 AM

Well for instance we did a Saturday Night Life and I was in the nerds and in the coneheads.. And we wrote a version of One Flew Over the Cuckoos nest and I was some crazy guy but can't remember which really.

by Anonymousreply 6July 12, 2015 12:13 AM

No, but I did do some acting towards the end.

by Anonymousreply 7July 12, 2015 12:17 AM

I only tried out for a class play once, to disheartening consequences.

My sixth grade class was putting on THE LEGEND OF SLEEPY HOLLOW for Halloween '91 for all the other sixth graders, so it was not even a school production, just a small, class play. My teacher had everyone in the class audition for parts, and then the class voted who got it. For instance, the last part cast was Ichabod Crane, which I wanted because it was the main role. So 5 of us who wanted it went one after the other, doing the same scene from the book. Then we were sent out in the hall, while the class voted, as had been done with the other, previous auditions. Except this time we were called back in to audition again and then sent out in the hall again. Still, a third time we were called back in to audition and sent out again. We were like, "WTF is going?" None of the other parts took two or three tries.

Finally, we were called back in, and the part went to Jesse Godin, the teacher's pet. Then the bell rang for the final recess. I was a bit disappointed, but I didn't think much of it until a bunch of my classmates came to me in the playground and told me that they had voted for me the first two times, but the teacher wasn't satisfied and kept trying to get them to vote for Jesse. After we auditioned the third time, they said that she said that we would stay through recess until they changed their vote, so they did. This really crushed me, because I had developed an interest in acting and filmmaking in general, and I've always had respect for people in authority, so to have a teacher not have faith in me made me question my talent.

I never auditioned for anything again. In fact, I became more insulated and withdrawn in the ensuing years, not just because of that, but in middle school (which in my town was grades 7-8) I was struggling with my parents divorce and my homosexuality and my father's approval. Still, the above incident really chipped at my confidence, especially in acting.

by Anonymousreply 8July 12, 2015 12:29 AM

R8 I'm sorry to hear that, You got gypped!

by Anonymousreply 9July 12, 2015 12:31 AM

Jesus you were gypped big time by that bitch. Fuck her.

by Anonymousreply 10July 12, 2015 12:32 AM

We did Hair in 8th grade. It was fun.

by Anonymousreply 11July 12, 2015 12:34 AM

I was the lead in pillow talk in junior high. Too anxious to do auditions for HS drama - you had to audition to even get in the class and I had fallen out w friends and become suddenly less popular that year - so it ended there

by Anonymousreply 12July 12, 2015 12:51 AM

Lol, R8, we had that same crap in my school where the class voted for the roles in the play. There was always a fix in.

by Anonymousreply 13July 12, 2015 1:45 AM

I was president of the dramatic group, known as Academy Players. The drama coach didn't like me and was always casting me in minor parts, like the dentist in our all-Aryan production of The Diary of Anne Frank. But the president got to direct the winter play, so I opted to do Sophocles' Electra and cast myself as Orestes.

I also played Parris in The Crucible, but only because the original guy missed a rehearsal and was fired.

That's a sad story about the guy whose teacher forced the students to vote against him. What a bitch. Why vote if it doesn't count? Nowadays, she'd possibly lose her job over something like that.

by Anonymousreply 14July 12, 2015 2:15 AM

Not in the middle of high school. Usually in the auditorium, which is off to the side.

by Anonymousreply 15July 12, 2015 6:43 AM

I played the title role in A Streetcar Named Desire.

by Anonymousreply 16July 12, 2015 7:25 AM

Yup, I sure did. Was a total drama nerd from age 12 to my late teens. I'm kinda fortunate in that my school district kept arts education alive while a lot of neighboring districts completely gutted their arts departments. This was kinda well known in the area, so all the kids interested in theatre, music, dance, fine arts jostled for places at our school. Sort of like an unofficial arts magnet school. My middle school drama teacher actually transferred to my high school during my freshman year, so I ended up having the same nutty teacher for 6 years. She was a hoot and programmed some decidedly odd, adult choices for teenagers.

In middle school: Daddy Warbucks in 'Annie' Narrator in 'Our Town' Stanley in 'Streetcar Named Desire' (LOL) Judas in 'Jesus Christ Superstar'

In high school: George in 'Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf' One of the main guys in 'Bent' (can't remember character's name) Bernado in 'West Side Story' The Samurai in 'Rashomon' Lenny in Neil Simon's 'Rumors' Jesus in 'Godspell' Valmont in 'Les liaisons dangereuses' Willy Loman in 'Death of a Salesman' Emcee in 'Cabaret' And I directed an evening of 1 act plays by A.R. Gurney

I was a (ahem) two-time SCETA (Southern California Educational Theatre Association) award winner. I think my mum still has my awards somewhere. Ha.

Glad I got that shit out my system and crossed over to the dark side of the business world.

by Anonymousreply 17July 12, 2015 7:57 AM

R17 your 'mum'? Are you British or a pretentious American?

by Anonymousreply 18July 12, 2015 8:18 AM

The auditions were for the main parts.I was given a lousy part, for those I don't think there were any auditions, they were just attributed. It was a lousy experience anyway. I enjoyed watching the plays put on by others, but our own was stilted and mouldy. Old people playing with 13-year-olds.

by Anonymousreply 19July 12, 2015 8:28 AM

R8, sorry to hear it. People in power are usually assholes. You didn't deserve what happened to you, this teacher was a bully. Don't let other people dictate your existence. We're about the same age, you' re still young and you have to fight for what's yours. Bit by bit, you'll see how much you gain. You'll be surprised you ever allowed others to walk all over you.

by Anonymousreply 20July 12, 2015 8:32 AM

Unrelated to theatre plays, but related to voting and fix ins: couple years ago there was a vote to elect each Department council at the university I work with. The council is mostly faculty staff, about 3-4 admin, and 2 students.

There was only one list to choose from for the admin representatives, so part of the admin team (about 20 people) chose not to vote. Voting was held in a large hall outside the offices. Well, by the end of the day they had chased everyone from their offices who hadn't voted, to force us to vote! I went and showed my ballot before placing it in. It was the "blank vote" of course. Needless to say I was out of that department by the end of the year. Which had been my goal all along.

by Anonymousreply 21July 12, 2015 8:41 AM

I did several plays, the names escape me. Musicals, I did "You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown", "Bye Bye Birdie", "Showboat", and "The Music Man". By my sophomore year, I was also doing community theatre as well.

by Anonymousreply 22July 12, 2015 8:41 AM

Those tyrants from R8's story only put decisions to a vote because they hope to get support. Once the vote isn't in their favour, they usually scold the voters and like any dictator, enforce their decision anyway.

by Anonymousreply 23July 12, 2015 8:50 AM

I was Dill in To Kill A Mockingbird Danny in Grease Macbeth seymour in LSOH

by Anonymousreply 24July 12, 2015 9:27 AM

R18 - Brit, but moved to the US when I was 10.

by Anonymousreply 25July 12, 2015 9:49 AM

Policeman Number 1 in "Carousel" in H.S.

by Anonymousreply 26July 12, 2015 9:54 AM

Yes. Brick in Cat On A Hot Tin Roof. But I think I was the only one who understood about Brick and Buster and the football team.

by Anonymousreply 27July 12, 2015 11:13 AM

I had a small part but I don't remember what the play was, and I didn't perform it anyway. The night of one of the showings turned out to be the same night as a band concert, so I went to the teacher to ask what to do, and she had a fit. She refused to speak to me the rest of the year, and for some reason the choir teacher told me I "deserved" it. Like I made the schedule?

Fast forward 20 years and I stumble across the teacher on Facebook, telling a Log Cabin Republican who was also one of her former students that he should have stayed closeted. So I guess I know why she was such a cunt to me, but at the time I had no idea. She pretended to be super liberal.

by Anonymousreply 28July 12, 2015 11:26 AM

You understood it, did you, R27???? Why don't you try understanding that the character's name was SKIPPER then, philistine.

by Anonymousreply 29July 12, 2015 12:50 PM

I want R8's teacher's name!!!!!! Someone should contact this cunt and ask her about. Gashes like her get away with shit and think they've done a superb job enriching lives. Bullshit!!!! Fuck that twat right in her bunghole. Who is she and where did she teach???????

by Anonymousreply 30July 12, 2015 12:52 PM

Yes, but I was a singer, not an actor. The choir director loved Gilbert & Sullivan. People auditioned for the parts, and the rest of the choir sang in the chorus. I was too chicken then, and ended up in the chorus of HMS Pinafore and the Mikado. I went to an arts high school and was cast bymusic teachers for different performances.

by Anonymousreply 31July 12, 2015 1:52 PM

I played the role of Stage Manager in Our Town. The female lead, Erin, died tragically of leukemia at age 19.

by Anonymousreply 32July 12, 2015 1:57 PM

I played Romeo in Romeo & Juliet in the 6th grade.

by Anonymousreply 33July 12, 2015 2:03 PM

Bent?! Virginia Wolf!? Streetcar!? What the hell kind of school programs that for adolescents?! R17

by Anonymousreply 34July 12, 2015 2:04 PM

I've only been in one show in my life. In high school I played Mr. Applegate in Damned Yankees. I, literally, stopped the show with my one song. Not because I was so great, but compared to the rest of the cast, Lola and I seemed like pros.

I couple weeks ago, I wondered why I never did anything in college. Maybe I didn't think I was good enough. I don't remember.

by Anonymousreply 35July 12, 2015 2:22 PM

I auditioned for the senior play, a musical, and had to sing in front of teachers and many kids in the auditorium. I never could sing well, and was feeling frightened. I was totally surprised, as my voice seemed to really project itself, although out of nervousness, not skill. I had expected to tighten up and be told to bring up the volume. Even more surprising was that I received a fair amount of applause. Years later, I came to think that my strong desire, and even passion to be in that show, was felt. Therefore the response. No one heard a great voice that day, but I really brought it, as far as showing my feelings.

by Anonymousreply 36July 12, 2015 2:31 PM

"I'll be damned if I'm going to hang around you theater freaks and wannabe actors.", said my sixteen year old self to the head of the Drama group, whom I'd been sent to by the Principal. He thought my 'energies needed some direction. So, no, I did no plays and was quite pleased about that

by Anonymousreply 37July 12, 2015 2:45 PM

I appeared fully nude in our middle school production of "Hair" -- without any.

by Anonymousreply 38July 12, 2015 2:47 PM

What that the principal trying to hook up a budding gay to an "appropriate" social network?

I was pretty sure I was a homo (this was the 70s) and said fuck it all I may be a fruit but I'm going to play sports and managed Jr. and Sr Varsity. And loved almost every minute of it. Shin splints weren't great. Also the shock of how gorgeous and hung boys could get by 16.

by Anonymousreply 39July 12, 2015 2:52 PM

[quote] I may be a fruit but I'm going to play sports and managed Jr. and Sr Varsity. And loved almost every minute of it. Shin splints weren't great.

OMG! You are so butch! You are an inspiration to diesel dykes everywhere!

by Anonymousreply 40July 12, 2015 2:59 PM

I played:

[*]Mr. Dodge in Meet Me In St. Louis [*]Titus in The Curious Savage [*]Inspector Dreyfus in The Pink Panther Strikes Again

by Anonymousreply 41July 12, 2015 3:06 PM

I played:

Mr. Dodge in Meet Me In St. Louis

Titus in The Curious Savage

Inspector Dreyfus in The Pink Panther Strikes Again

by Anonymousreply 42July 12, 2015 3:07 PM

OMG! R41 and R42 you are, like, living parallel lives! Spooky!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 43July 12, 2015 3:09 PM

"What that the principal trying to hook up a budding gay to an "appropriate" social network? "

Yes, probably. I was an absolute mess though and had begun attracting attention as a result of it. Also, the high school didn't like the fact that a transfer student from Los Angeles to the deep South, who had an IQ of 150+ and had been in accelerated courses, was circling the drain within a year of their care. At 16, the principal finally told me that I could either have 'drop out' or 'kicked out' on my records AND they let me drop out WITHOUT telling my parents LOL I had him write 'dropped out' because I thought it might look better if I chose to ever go to college. I was very happy because I imagined a summer of chasing boys on the beach. It started that way till my mother abruptly burst into my room, told me to get dressed, and hauled me off to a local community center, where she dumped me into a damned actor's summer workshop that lasted all 3 months! And all the students were OLD. You know, 25+ and up! Blech! But it was there I saw a certain relationship I've never forgotten.

So, I didn't REALLY get away with as much as I'd hoped, but here's the strange part: my mother did not, in fact, find out I'd dropped out of High School till the Fall came. I think she just didn't want me chasing boys and the acting thing was a coincidence.

by Anonymousreply 44July 12, 2015 4:15 PM

[quote]who had an IQ of 150+

Datalounge Rule: Deduct 10 from your age and add 40 to your IQ.

by Anonymousreply 45July 12, 2015 4:21 PM

R45, um, no, sorry.

BTW, oh Intimidated One, because of repeat tests and consistent outcomes and all that, I believe I have a fairly firm grasp on my measured analytical analysis abilities. You, however, seem to have not so firm a grasp that a person can mention something factual about themselves WITHOUT it being bragging. I feel sorry for you Sport. So let me make you feel better at my expense, again.

You'll note I never claimed my high IQ gave me any special access to Life. Nor has it brought me gold and silver. Also, most mental health researchers have figured out that in terms of 'Life Success', it is 'EQ' (Emotional Quotient), not IQ (Intelligence Quotient), that creates the most satisfaction in a person's Life. OK? You fell better now?

Don't answer too quick. My suspicion is you may be low in both areas. Good day.

by Anonymousreply 46July 12, 2015 5:12 PM

[quote]BTW, oh Intimidated One, because of repeat tests and consistent outcomes and all that, I believe I have a fairly firm grasp on my measured analytical analysis abilities.

That's why you come across, I suppose, as just a garden variety, unhinged, unselfaware, Internet narcissist. You sound like a mess.

by Anonymousreply 47July 12, 2015 5:15 PM

Isn't 150 off the charts intelligent though? Did you manage a higher ed degree? How do you keep yourself interested in things over the years.

by Anonymousreply 48July 12, 2015 6:07 PM

Isn't 150+ something like three standard deviations above the mean? Really uncommon. Like in the 99.7+ percentile. Not unknown, of course, or else they wouldn't be able to describe it.

by Anonymousreply 49July 12, 2015 6:22 PM

REMINDER: This is the Internet. Don't take ridiculous claims to be true.

by Anonymousreply 50July 12, 2015 6:33 PM

I was a theater geek, so there are several. I did Starbuck in 110 in the Shade, Doc in Mister Roberts, Charles in Blithe Spirit, Cliff in Cabaret, McHeath in The Beggar's Opera and multiple roles in Gypsy. I was lucky to go to a High School that presented less than predictable fare for a school.

by Anonymousreply 51July 12, 2015 6:46 PM

I played 2 roles my sophomore year. They were a fun experience, but I realized acting wasn't for me and I retired without ever having the desire to do it again...

Big Daddy in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

Sancho in Man of La Mancha

by Anonymousreply 52July 12, 2015 7:00 PM

Yes, I was one of those gays who was a fatty before coming out in my 20s

by Anonymousreply 53July 12, 2015 7:01 PM

In middle school, when I was 12, I played the King of Hearts in ALICE IN WONDERLAND, and I was heavily featured in that last scene. I loved it because the girl I had a crush on at the time was cast as the Queen of Hearts. (She looked like Jennifer Love Hewitt) I knew she'd get cast as the Queen, so I purposefully auditioned for the role of the King.

That same year, we did THE TRIAL OF GOLDILOCKS, and I played the Court Clerk, which was pretty sizable. My crush played Goldilocks. It was a cute play. Basically, there are three different versions of the Goldilocks story told to the court. First, there's the neutral story (where everything was mimed, there were no props or anything). Then there was the plaintiff's version, where Goldilocks is this nasty punk girl who purposefully breaks into the house and steals the porridge, breaks the chair, etc (in that version, people were used as props). In the third version, the defense version, the Three Bears are this gang of gangsters, Goldilocks is this innocent girl who wanders in and gets caught up (and we used actual props in that story).

I remember one time during rehearsal, my crush was getting up off the ground after breaking Baby Bear's chair, and I heard her fart as she was getting up! I was so depressed for the rest of the day.

The following year, I played Willy Wonka in CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY. I loved that whole experience! I had the most lines, but I had a lot to memorize. I talked in paragraphs.

Disappointingly, when I got into high school, I always had the tiniest roles. It was quite depressing after having such a successful experience in middle school.

by Anonymousreply 54July 12, 2015 7:10 PM

[quote]I remember one time during rehearsal, my crush was getting up off the ground after breaking Baby Bear's chair, and I heard her fart as she was getting up! I was so depressed for the rest of the day.

Why did you become depressed?

by Anonymousreply 55July 12, 2015 7:12 PM

R55, because she FARTED! It ruined the perfect image I had of her. I was in denial about it for the next few months, saying to myself, "No, it wasn't a fart, it was something else."

Years later, after I was over her and I remembered it, I was all like, "Of course, it was a fart!" And I laugh over it now.

by Anonymousreply 56July 12, 2015 7:28 PM

R54/R56 is this your crush?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57July 12, 2015 7:33 PM

LOL, R57! Yep, that was pretty much my reaction.

But she was actually getting off the ground. Basically, I had brought in this little children's rocking chair that opened up like a toy box, and we were using that for Baby Bear's chair. So that when the chair "broke", she'd lean back and the chair would open up.

Also, my crush was a lot prettier than the girl in that video. She looked like a combination of Mariah Carey and Jennifer Love Hewitt.

by Anonymousreply 58July 12, 2015 8:06 PM

Suddenly remember I have a story to contribute:

It wasn't really an audition, just a reading. I was taking a translation class, and we had to read our translations out loud in front of the whole class (some 10 to 20 pages, most of the time). I had picked theatre because I knew I was better at translating dialogue.

A star student read before me. I was devastated since my own translation was so different. This was the beginning of the year. My turn was up, and I felt like I was going to die. I mastered whatever "courage" I had and started reading the play out loud. It was a comedy, or at least very satirical in tone.

Anyway. Out of nowhere the jokes worked. The students started to laugh at every single one, and I had the whole class in the palm of my hand by the end of those 10 minutes. I couldn't believe it. My teacher was: "So I take it you do theatre?" (I didn't) He wanted to know how I had come up with this and that translation, I was just like "I just translated it".

Alas, stardom only lasted for about half an hour. The remainder of the year we translated narrative fiction, which i sucked at (it's really very hard, and poetry's worse).

Anyway. That feeling of going for it even though you feel you are about to die is something I'll never forget. And I never could have predicted their reaction, I was only doing it because I felt if I did'nt go for it then I might as well flunk the whole year right then, and this was only October.

by Anonymousreply 59July 12, 2015 9:11 PM

I grew up on a farm, so never had the free time for extracurricular activities in high school, but I did get the chance to act in a community theater production in my twenties. I was the husband of the lead character, and didn't appear until the final act. I only had 20 lines, but I managed to get laughs from the audience out of all of them.

It was a great experience, and the cast parties hosted by our nouveau riche patron were divine.

by Anonymousreply 60July 12, 2015 9:15 PM

I played:

Ed in You Can't Take It With You

Frank Butler in Annie Get Your Gun

Sheridan Whiteside in The Man Who Came To Dinner

Lt. Joe Cable in South Pacific

Elwood P. Dowd in Harvey

Albert in Bye, Bye Birdie

by Anonymousreply 61July 12, 2015 9:55 PM

Louise in GYPSY

Alexandra DeLago in SWEET BIRD OF YOUTH

Charity Hope Valentine in SWEET CHARITY

Sally Bowles in CABARET

Marian Paroo in THE MUSIC MAN

Ruth Younger in A RAISIN IN THE SUN

Linda Low in FLOWER DRUM SONG

Ophelia in HAMLET

Salome in SALOME

All these roles helped me in my future part of the acting dynasty known as Hollywood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62July 13, 2015 2:37 AM

R60: Was the play you were in Light Up the Sky?

by Anonymousreply 63July 13, 2015 2:40 AM

Yay America's sweetheart is out of rehab!!

by Anonymousreply 64July 13, 2015 2:44 AM

How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying -- I had the minor role of announcer and was in the chorus, think it was game show announcer, been so long I don't even remember. It was fun, glad I did it.

by Anonymousreply 65July 13, 2015 2:44 AM

I'm currently appearing on Broadway in the title role of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime

by Anonymousreply 66July 13, 2015 2:46 AM

I had the role of Carmen Dragon in a play about Saint George.

by Anonymousreply 67July 13, 2015 3:13 AM

R34 - 'Bent' was a student production that was directed by one of the few openly gay kids at my school who was, despite being a drama nerd, goth and unapologetically queer, was one of the most popular kids on campus. And this was a San Diego County school (when San Diego was still a firmly red county) and a school with probably 10-15% mormon kids. But, for some reason, liberal ideals did not get quashed. There was a rule on this one, though. Only seniors could audition and any students under 18 had to get permission from their 'rents. Still, no attempts from the admin or any of those mormon parents to get us shut down.

'Streetcar' and 'Virginia Woolf' and others were "official" productions directed by the our drama teacher. Like I said, she was pretty nutty, but beloved, so she got away with a lot. She made me do a scene from a Sam Shepard play for a scene study class. I can't remember which - 'Fool for Love' perhaps? I just remember it's a scene in a motel room in which a man and woman have an enormous amount of sexual tension. And she kept telling me she wasn't believing it and then, eventually, after 4 or 5 attempts she got out of her seat, climbed on stage and said to me, "I'm not believing it. I want to see you craving it, wanting it, tasting that pussy juice." I kid you not. What a hoot she was. Wonder if she's still alive.

by Anonymousreply 68July 13, 2015 3:41 AM

Thankfully, a high IQ does not by default include being Cynical. I am simply stating a fact such as,"The Sun is an extremely hot planet." or, "Some people like Ford Mustangs." That some interpret a statement of fact, I suppose because it's related to the qualities of another human being, about myself as a display of Narcissism is something I find sad and a trait I don't envy. I was born the way I am. I have no hubris in this feature of myself because I didn't earn it in any way. It just is, gentlemen. I'm sorry a few of you are disturbed by it somehow or actually can't believe that people with high IQ's are on the big triple W. I'm dumbfounded. Are you suggesting that ONLY people in the mean range use computers or something? Now, worldwide the average IQ is around 70 -80. In some parts of the world, usually where many educational opportunities exist, the average rise a bit to between 80 - 90. Some researchers suggest the data can be averaged to 85, globally. Does that bother you too? Did I not state that analytical IQ is no guarantee to a better quality of Life? Do you not understand that this data is collected only on those who have been tested, or via organizations that volunteer their scores? This means there may be many, many people with higher IQ's that aren't in the tested pool, for a variety of reasons. Which also means there could be a helluva lot of children, usually poor and under privileged, that flounder and fall through the cracks.

Life is not a movie where all 'beautiful minds' make it into our collective awareness. In fact, there are prisoners who test out at 145 pts and above! So what happened? Well, start with abusive parents for the first 18 years of Life, hostile environments with pathologically criminal people waiting to exploit and suck in restless, unguided, frustrated youths, and go from there to come to a more understandable conclusion than this mob mentality of,"Hey! That person has a higher IQ than us: ATTACK!"

There's a difference between skepticism, which is a good, healthy trait to have, and Cynicism. *Cynicism is Skepticism turned bitter.*

by Anonymousreply 69July 13, 2015 4:22 AM

R69: I have an IQ of 141 and I am officially lost by your post

by Anonymousreply 70July 13, 2015 4:27 AM

Just shut up already, R69. If you really had any emotional intelligence, you'd be able to intuit what a dreadful ass you're making of yourself. Your need to respond in five-fold to every single snicker sent your way proves that you are nothing like the person whom you claim to be.

by Anonymousreply 71July 13, 2015 5:01 AM

I played the gay Mormon guy in Angels in America, which was cool, because I was a gay Mormon, also played Macbeth, and got to do it in front of the whole school and parents and kind of freaked them out witng our rendition of the witches scene

by Anonymousreply 72July 13, 2015 5:02 AM

R69 I sent you no hostility but a friendly vibe, and asked you how you have kept your mind entertained. Which you didn't answer, Just the gobbly-goop. WTF.

by Anonymousreply 73July 13, 2015 5:07 AM

R68 You coach sounds unprofessional. Most HS students don't have any references for such method acting of adult sexual content, and she was gross and creepy to push it. IMO of course.

by Anonymousreply 74July 13, 2015 5:08 AM

R68: did your drama coach look like the landlady from 1996's 'Kingpin'?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75July 13, 2015 6:15 AM

I played Captain von Trapp, guitar and all. When I sang Edelweiss, the little bitch playing Gretl upstaged me by picking her little nose.

by Anonymousreply 76July 13, 2015 7:35 AM

Eighth grade class play I was Jonathan in "Arsenic and Old Lace" - no auditions, roles were assigned.

by Anonymousreply 77July 13, 2015 7:58 AM

R74, she was actually very good at her job. She was teaching acting at a college level instead of what most HS drama teacher seem to do - simply host a drama club and call it a class. I'm not one of her success stories, but she's had kids go straight from her courses in high school to Juilliard, RADA, Carnegie Mellon etc. But, she was also a bit nutty and definitely a bit unorthodox. She was also in her mid 70s by the time I was senior and looked her age, so getting feedback telling me that I wasn't "tasting the pussy juice" was hilarious. She was usually more instructive and helpful than that, but of course that memory sticks out.

by Anonymousreply 78July 13, 2015 7:59 AM

I love how the tiresome 150 IQ queen writes like a 12-year-old on summer break, up to and including his random capitalization of nouns.

by Anonymousreply 79July 13, 2015 8:52 AM

Some of you are thick as bricks. Notice the word 'some'. Geezus h christ...I NEVER said I had a high EQ you blithering idiot! I said I have a high IQ. If you can't handle that and think my having it makes me an 'ass', then that's YOUR problem, not mine. And I'm not going to sit here and be fucking attacked about who I am without defending myself. If that's responding to 'every snipey comment', so be it but why aren't you suggesting those comments ought not to be made? Fuck your hypocrisy and total lack of Objectivity.

Now, please return to your regularly scheduled self-indulgent sniping at people and trying to impress each other about who did high school plays.

by Anonymousreply 80July 13, 2015 8:54 AM

In Middle School:

Neil Bannister in "Victoria's House"

Theobald Tubbs in "The Ghost of Benjamin Sweet"

Young George in "Washington Marches On" (it was the year of the Bicentennial)

by Anonymousreply 81July 13, 2015 1:47 PM

I one played the lead in "Ivan the Terribke". I wasn't Ivan; I was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 82July 13, 2015 2:10 PM

In middle school, I played Gandalf in "The Hobbit." All I can remember is my first line: "Ah, The Shire. How delicious the morning is in this part of the world!"

by Anonymousreply 83July 13, 2015 3:33 PM

I would like to refer R80 to the raging DL debate over Aspie v Narcissist

by Anonymousreply 84July 13, 2015 6:35 PM

R84, I'm getting really tired of your bullying.

Anyway, I also acted in school. I liked it. Then I was enrolled in a summer actor's workshop run by the director of a local community theater, which was very different from how my school handled 'Drama' in terms of teaching and what was taught. I was a nightmare for her, I think, because everyone there was 25+ and I was an adolescent who was actually terrified of adults. When they spoke to me, I tended to check out in order to quell my anxiety and keep from having panic attacks, like I did at home almost every single night for years. I didn't trust adults and in the workshop was surrounded by them. At the end of summer, the director asked me to go audition for a play in a much larger city her friend was going to hold a production in. I was convinced she was asking me to do this NOT because she thought I had any 'talent', but because she wanted to set me up for humiliation. That's what Adults did, left and right to me. No one ever screened for child abuse or autism. They didn't even TALK about it to kids! Zero education or pointing kids to some staff member they could talk to. But they damn sure wanted to know if there were any 'gifted' children they could claim, because they got extra money for us and then hired teachers who had no background in teaching 'gifted' kids. One of them was our school PE teacher LOL So yeah, Drama. Big deal. It's a place that houses broken people or egoists and as I'd had my full of a relative with NPD, I didn't want to take any more risks at beīng abused.

Then I found people like R84 on DL. Yeah, I recognize YOU Sport. I GOT you. You're very pissed off that people don't think you're more talented than they do. Naw, it's not that. It's that you're fussy and dull.

Don't bother replying, I'm putting you on Ignore because I'm tired of you following me thread to thread criticizing every statement I make. But, of course, ANYONE who's not willing to be bullied by you is a 'Narcissist'. BTW, nobody here is a shrink which means nobody here is qualified to discuss a comparative analysis of disorders, which would, in fact, NOT be possible because it's comparing apples to alligators, Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 85July 13, 2015 7:00 PM

R85: you are paranoid. I made 2 comments toward you. The first was confusion over your IQ rant since it made no sense as part of this thread. Perhaps that's because you weren't competent enough to reference the post that got you pissy.

The second was at R84 since your bizarre comments seem better suited for that thread as opposed to an innocuous one about middle school acting experiences.

If you have had problems over the years, that is truly unfortunate. However, it isn't a license to behave poorly to strangers. If anyone has behaved like a bully on this thread, it is you with your condescending off topic unhinged rants.

If those are the product of a diagnosed condition, please seek professional help instead of harassing people on the DL. If it isn't, then get over yourself and clean your act up. You are precious and deluded with your nerve calling anyone else fussy and dull...

by Anonymousreply 86July 13, 2015 7:11 PM

In middle school, I did "The Hither and Thither of Danny Dither," a musical. I was Danny (and I sucked but at least I could sing pretty well). In high school, I was in the chorus for "My Fair Lady" and "Anything Goes." Since then, I've done about three dozen shows in community theater, all but one of which were musicals.

by Anonymousreply 87July 13, 2015 7:31 PM

I wish I had agreed to join community theater, but it was just not possible. So now I'm about to make a movie. It will probably never get made, really, and no one would ever see it, so it's right on schedule.

by Anonymousreply 88July 13, 2015 7:55 PM

Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. I suppose because it's related to the qualities of another human being, about myself as a display of Narcissism is something I find sad and a trait I don't envy. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me.

by Anonymousreply 89July 13, 2015 8:01 PM

I was the Virgin Mary. Lol! I am the slightly more femme version of Kristen Stewart.

by Anonymousreply 90July 13, 2015 8:08 PM

R90, very good! lol

by Anonymousreply 91July 13, 2015 9:20 PM

R89 You're a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 92July 3, 2021 2:43 AM

I miss John. I’m glad he finally became an RN. Miss you.

by Anonymousreply 93July 3, 2021 2:51 AM

“The Rainmaker”

Starbuck

by Anonymousreply 94July 3, 2021 3:00 AM

We never did musicals because our drama coach and the music teacher never got along. We had award ceremonies on the last day of each production, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, actress, etc. Always getting judge's notes. My first was Death Takes a Holiday, Fedel the butler. The Game of Gold (A melodrama) Miner #2 Trilogy of terror three short plays: The Devil and Daniel Webster, (Old Man) The Tell-Tale Heart (Voice of the old man) I got to moan in agony. The third story I can not remember. Arsenic and Old Lace: Teddy Brewster (Best actor) The Importance of Being Earnest: Lane, another butler Don't Drink the Water, Father Drobney (Best supporting actor) The best thing that came from all of it was meeting the hottest most exciting man I had ever met! After I Got to share twelve of the best years of my life with him! even the bad was pretty special. My Hero died early this year.

by Anonymousreply 95July 3, 2021 10:11 AM

R95 That was the situation at my high school as well, no musicals. Junior year we did The Curious Savage, mentioned by a few above, I played Samuel. There were auditions, but basically any boy who tried out got a part and then they had to still recruit for some of the other male parts. I can’t remember for the life of me what the Senior class play was and who I was in that production???

In my school we also had Competition Play, which is a national program like debate where you put on a one act play and compete with other schools, and our school was a strong contender having won state a few times in the past. Because it drew from all four grades there were more males available. I only did it my senior year and was the student director for the production, more or less the mother hen for the cast especially the gay boys.

We did Perspectives, a play where three characters meet in a park setting all waiting to visit their mentally ill family members, in the last minute the nurse walks on and you realize they are the patients, not the visitors. Very Twilight Zoneish. Being well known, we got invited to a theater festival and performed at the venerable Buck’s County Playhouse. We won best ensemble, mainly because in the afterward Q&A they asked me as student director what I did and I talked about creating a community and safe place for us as a group of students within the school and in our program.

by Anonymousreply 96July 3, 2021 10:31 AM

[quote]We never did musicals because our drama coach and the music teacher never got along.

Two feuding eldergays?

by Anonymousreply 97March 15, 2022 11:07 PM

the rivalries between the thespians and theatre kids did often result in lunchtime performances.

by Anonymousreply 98March 15, 2022 11:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!