Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Gay Lifestyle"

Is it ever okay to use this term, meaning: is it ever NOT derogatory? My mother has used it and says that she's not saying that homosexuality is a lifestyle, as in chosen, but "lifestyle" as in going to gay bars, gay clubs, etc. I'm just curious. Give us your take, elders.

by Anonymousreply 17August 16, 2020 12:08 PM

The word didn't exist until the late 60s early 70s. Try to write a definition for it with out using the word life or style. It is used as a brand name of condoms and as a euphemism for what was once known as wife swapping. Open air shipping centers are now being referred to as lifestyle centers. The word needs to die in a grease fire. Now get off my lawn.

by Anonymousreply 1July 11, 2015 11:30 PM

OP would your mother ever refer to the "heterosexual lifestyle"? No? Then yeah its always derogatory.

by Anonymousreply 2July 11, 2015 11:43 PM

Honestly I think it started when we "came out" in all our glory and they needed to attach a label to drag queens, muscle boys, lesbians on Harleys, dudes in Daisy Dukes, guys in cowboy boots and Wranglers, girls in white dresses... wait a second! Normal people. Who knew?

by Anonymousreply 3July 11, 2015 11:44 PM

It is only ever used with negative connotations attached.

by Anonymousreply 4July 11, 2015 11:46 PM

The gays just love to have style In their lives.

by Anonymousreply 5July 11, 2015 11:49 PM

I've always thought of it being used pejoratively to say that being gay is a choice and/or it's just disgusting. Either way they hate us, except for your mom, OP, but now you can explain the subtext to her.

by Anonymousreply 6July 12, 2015 12:32 AM

It's almost as naff as 'the gay community' though that tends not to be used so pejoratively.

by Anonymousreply 7July 12, 2015 12:40 AM

What I lived over the years wasn't a "lifestyle," it was my life.

by Anonymousreply 8July 12, 2015 12:53 AM

It's very AARP

by Anonymousreply 9July 12, 2015 1:06 AM

I agree it's a derogatory term, but it could be a useful one. Is there another way to get across the same idea that's not derogatory?

by Anonymousreply 10August 15, 2020 11:49 PM

R10 I always thought “scene”/“non-scene” was the PC way of saying it.

by Anonymousreply 11August 16, 2020 4:09 AM

I think the “gay lifestyle” distinguishes the “gay closet” but whether through ignorance or outright contempt, yeah, it’s pejorative.

by Anonymousreply 12August 16, 2020 4:17 AM

OP, how would your mom refer to straight people who go to straight bars and clubs a lot? Would she say they have a "straight lifestyle?" Doubt it. There's no singular "gay lifestyle" just like there's no singular "straight lifestyle." If one goes to bars/clubs a lot, they live a "party lifestyle" (or they're just a drunk) gay or straight. "Gay lifestyle" is an other-izing term. Which is a negative connotation.

by Anonymousreply 13August 16, 2020 10:46 AM

I find it fairly offensive. It's usually used with a vague connection to the word "choice".

by Anonymousreply 14August 16, 2020 10:55 AM

Neither gay lifestyle nor gay community are terms that make any sense. They are meaningless and misleading.

by Anonymousreply 15August 16, 2020 10:56 AM

Maybe in the right historical context, say in describing the emergence of a visible gay lifestyle in post-Stonewall NYC, or advertisers targeting a perceived as gay lifestyle market. But to describe people, or to diminish people by referring to them as a lifestyle (Jewish lifestyle, Black lifestyle, WASP lifestyle, immigrant lifestyle--stereotype fits as well in any of those instances, and likewise for gay lifestyle,)

by Anonymousreply 16August 16, 2020 12:02 PM

[quote]It's almost as naff as 'the gay community' though that tends not to be used so pejoratively.

I'll take "the gay community" over "the LGBTQ community."

by Anonymousreply 17August 16, 2020 12:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!