Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Which artists past and present are closeted psychopaths?

Jim Morrison, David Fincher, DDL, David O'Russell, Mark Wahlberg, Angelina Jolie, Roman Polanski, Alfred Hitchcock - who else

by Anonymousreply 173February 20, 2018 5:17 AM

Reese Witherspoin-Chlsea Handler-

by Anonymousreply 1July 11, 2015 2:51 AM

Julia Roberts

Mel Gibson

by Anonymousreply 2July 11, 2015 3:29 AM

Why Hitch, OP?

by Anonymousreply 3July 11, 2015 4:17 AM

Alfred Hitchcock was NOT a "psychopath." It's pretty stupid to say that he is.

by Anonymousreply 4July 11, 2015 4:23 AM

Jessica Simpson-Julia Roberts-NeNe Leakes-Brandii Glanville-Eddie Murphy-Jim Carrey-

by Anonymousreply 5July 11, 2015 4:31 AM

"I never said all actors are cattle; what I said was all actors should be treated like cattle." - Alfred Hitchcock

Hitchcock developed an almost-crazed obsession with Tippi Hedren, and when she rejected his advances, he made her life a living hell both on and off the movie sets, Tippi Hedren says. He bombarded her with crude sexual overtures and ruthlessly tried to control every aspect of her life.

“I had to get out of there,” she recalls. “I was dealing with one of the most powerful men in motion pictures and it was difficult, embarrassing and insulting. He said, 'If you leave, I’ll ruin your career.’ And he did.”

by Anonymousreply 6July 11, 2015 5:17 AM

Damien Hirst.

by Anonymousreply 7July 11, 2015 5:19 AM

There was something wrong with Hitchcock, especially in his dealings with women, but I don't think he was a psychopath.

by Anonymousreply 8July 11, 2015 5:22 AM

I don't think Gibson is a Psychopath. He's an alcoholic and probably bipolar.

by Anonymousreply 9July 11, 2015 5:28 AM

Julia Roberts: aside from a heroin problem (is that ongoing?), what's her specific mental illness alleged to be?

by Anonymousreply 10July 11, 2015 5:31 AM

Tammy-Smith Family-Kirstie Ally-Demi Moore-CHARLIE SHEEN!

by Anonymousreply 11July 11, 2015 5:33 AM

I get that feeling from Demi but I have no solid evidence, just a vibe from her that I can't really explain.

I didn't know Julia had a heroin problem. Really? I think it was true that she bullied her half-sister that committed suicide.

Why do you think Jessica Simpson is- R5? Any stories?

by Anonymousreply 12July 11, 2015 5:44 AM

R6 Tippi Hedren didn't have a career to ruin. She was a model in fucking TV commercials. She couldn't act for shit either. If Hitch hadn't plucked her out of obscurity, nobody would have ever heard of her or Melanie Griffith...

by Anonymousreply 13July 11, 2015 5:44 AM

Madonna no question

by Anonymousreply 14July 11, 2015 5:45 AM

Johnny Depp collected 'artwork' by John Wayne Gracy, he was friends with Hunter S. Thompson and has an affinity for satanists, criminals, murders and sadistic creeps. His former business partner Anthony Fox from the Viper room disappeard some years ago after he was taking him to court for fraud. I am sure there is something seriously wrong with Depp.

by Anonymousreply 15July 11, 2015 6:36 AM

John Phillips

Lance Armstrong

by Anonymousreply 16July 11, 2015 7:09 AM

Jolie sounds like a good bet for BPD or NPD.

Woody Allen could be a narcissist or a sociopath, even if you don't believe all the allegations made against him you can see that there's something deeply wrong with his dealings with other people.

And please, let me be the first to mention Bill Cosby! He allegedly drugged and raped women who were perfectly willing to fuck him with their eyes open, that's got to set some kind of record for creepy celebrity behavior.

by Anonymousreply 17July 11, 2015 7:34 AM

Courtney Love

Leann Rimes

Wendy Williams

Rosie O'Donnell

Shia Lebeouf

by Anonymousreply 18July 11, 2015 7:35 AM

Bradley Cooper Tom Cruise Nicole Kidman Taylor Swift (not an actor, but clearly a psychopath)

by Anonymousreply 19July 11, 2015 7:36 AM

How the hell do you know?

by Anonymousreply 20July 11, 2015 7:40 AM

That cunt Jensen Ackles.

by Anonymousreply 21July 11, 2015 7:42 AM

Roseanne Barr

Taylor Swift

Geri Jewell

Debbie Boone

Joss Whedon

Erik Estrada

Tom Cruise

Truman Capote

Michael J Fox

by Anonymousreply 22July 11, 2015 7:44 AM

Why Joss Whedon?

by Anonymousreply 23July 11, 2015 7:45 AM

Patti Lupone

George Carlin

Bill Murray

Spike Lee

Anson Williams

by Anonymousreply 24July 11, 2015 7:49 AM

R23: Whedon gave Glenn Quinn the hot shot that killed him so he could use him as a cautionary tale with which to bully his other actors into his control.

by Anonymousreply 25July 11, 2015 7:51 AM

I'm dating myself but there have only been two people in my life who seriously creeped me out, absolutely made my flesh crawl every time I saw them on TV: Robert Vaughn (sp) and William F. Buckley. But outside of them, I would say that I do pick up a bad vibe from Johnny Depp.

by Anonymousreply 26July 11, 2015 8:05 AM

A few years ago there was a video online where Angelina Jolie was grinning and happily talking about pets she had "kind of" killed.

by Anonymousreply 27July 11, 2015 8:08 AM

Kris Jenner

by Anonymousreply 28July 11, 2015 8:23 AM

[quote]William F. Buckley

After Buckley's death Charlie Rose spoke about how he'd gone to offer his condolences at the funeral of the other man's wife, once everyone else at the service had done so. He described how Buckley's face crumpled when he saw him---he just wasn't able to hold it together any more, started weeping in front of everyone and couldn't stop. He was ruined by her loss and never recovered, didn't even live another year. After hearing that story I always had a soft spot for him.

by Anonymousreply 29July 11, 2015 8:45 AM

That's interesting, R29. So he wasn't a psycho, but he's still creepy enough to make me wonder what he got up to.

by Anonymousreply 30July 11, 2015 9:01 AM

Why DDL? Honest question, I seem to have missed that particular gossip.

by Anonymousreply 31July 11, 2015 9:34 AM

Daniel Day Lewis' insane method acting (link)

He also left the stage mid play on Broadway playing Hamlet in 1989, claiming he saw his dead father on stage, he never returned and did theater again.

The guy is creepy and nuts!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 11, 2015 10:29 AM

[quote]He also left the stage mid play on Broadway playing Hamlet in 1989, claiming he saw his dead father on stage, he never returned and did theater again.

Good lord.

I'm not so sure he's a psychopath. He's got some issues but he doesn't seem to harm people beyond being thoughtless.

by Anonymousreply 33July 11, 2015 10:34 AM

R15 Agreed. There are many shady occurrences that have happened around Depp.

Madonna, definitely. I'm convinced Andy Warhol was a sociopath or a high functioning autist.

by Anonymousreply 34July 11, 2015 11:00 AM

R24 Spike Lee, definitely. I think he's nothing but an opportunist and closeted racist; as in, wants to bomb people, sympathizes with The Black Panthers and Nation of Islam, hate filled man.

by Anonymousreply 35July 11, 2015 11:03 AM

The link at R32 is hilarious! But if you go to such lengths, are you really "acting"?

by Anonymousreply 36July 11, 2015 11:48 AM

madonna: textbook sociopath

by Anonymousreply 37July 11, 2015 12:11 PM

I think JLaw is crazy too.

by Anonymousreply 38July 11, 2015 12:17 PM

Bradley Cooper

by Anonymousreply 39July 11, 2015 12:21 PM

Perhaps a definition might help.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 11, 2015 12:32 PM

R24 George Carlin was not a psychopath by any means. His comedy and social commentary was super critical at the hypocrisy and stupidity of humans and society, but he was actually a very good person.

by Anonymousreply 41July 11, 2015 12:37 PM

Jim Morrison liked to push limits and play with people minds to see their reactions, I doubt that makes him a psychopath.

by Anonymousreply 42July 11, 2015 12:40 PM

psychopath - noun 1. a person with a psychopathic personality, which manifests as amoral and antisocial behavior, lack of ability to love or establish meaningful personal relationships, extreme egocentricity, failure to learn from experience, etc.

by Anonymousreply 43July 11, 2015 12:46 PM

Michael Alig

by Anonymousreply 44July 11, 2015 12:58 PM

Michael Alig is/was an artist??

by Anonymousreply 45July 11, 2015 1:11 PM

Also Alig is a sociopath. There's a difference between the two.

by Anonymousreply 46July 11, 2015 1:12 PM

Sociopaths/psychopaths are primarily defined by their complete or near-complete lack of empathy. They have no conscience. Some are smart, charming and ambitious: those are the most dangerous ones. Others are more passive or lazy or simply aren't bright enough to get themselves into a position of power where they can abuse other people. They are incapable of love, for themselves or others. A narcissist is incapable of love for others but does have love for self, meaning they're effectively half-sociopaths. Lots of Hollywood actors are narcissists. Sociopaths tend to only derive pleasure from a sense of power over other people: they feel a lifelong sense of emptiness (where love should be) and tend to bitterly resent others who are happy and fulfilled. They seek to destroy such peoples' lives. Most true sociopaths will commit murder without hesitation but only if they're confident that they won't get caught. They are natural students of human behavior and they study and mimic emotions (many of which they can't authentically feel) in order to charm and manipulate the rest of us. They tend to rise to the top of industry like cream, unfortunately. One thing to look for when trying to spot a sociopath is how they treat animals, particularly pets. I'd say there were tons of red flags during the Mitt Romney presidential campaign but when I learned about how he'd strapped his dog to the top of his car and took it on the highway for a family road trip, that was definitive proof of his sociopathy.

They also tend to be coldly rational/pragmatic, as the only emotion they're likely to be overwhelmed by is frustration or rage. They don't feel self-conscious and unsure of themselves like ordinary people do, because they're not concerned with what other people think of them except as it relates to their own agenda and personal gain. Sadly, the rest of us are more often than not drawn to their unflappable self-confidence.

Woody Allen definitely has shit wrong with him and is probably a pedophile but he's too neurotic to be a sociopath. Daniel Day Lewis is also not a sociopath: it's evident in the anecdote up thread from when he had a breakdown onstage, as a sociopath would never experience emotions so powerful that they caused him to walk away from a job and potentially damage his career. Tom Cruise is a deluded narcissist. Bradley Cooper May be a sociopath. Madonna's a narcissist. Michael J Fox is not a sociopath. Patti Lupone is a narcissist. Robert Blake is a sociopath. Mark Walhberg and Bill Cosby are sociopaths. Mel Gibson is not: he's a rage filled, racist, raving mad alcoholic but again is too passionate and lacks the calculating self control of a sociopath. Will Smith and his immediate family are all narcissists.

See list of 16 key behavioral traits of sociopaths at link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47July 11, 2015 1:13 PM

Eric Roberts and that horrible spawn of his, something called Emma OWN THIS THREAD!

Case closed!

by Anonymousreply 48July 11, 2015 1:15 PM

Jeremy Renner.

by Anonymousreply 49July 11, 2015 2:07 PM

Oh, for God's sake, just because someone is annoying or stupid doesn't make them a psychopath! Just being an asshole doesn't make you a psychopath.

Most of the people mentioned on this thread have some problem or another, but very few of them would be classified as "psychopaths." I'd say Roseanne Barr and Courtney Love fit the bill, though. And Madonna certainly has exhibited sociopathic tendencies.

Harper Lee called Truman Capote a psychopath because she was mad at him for something he said about her mother. He said her mother had tried to drown her (or her sister; I can't remember) when she was a small child. "Talk about Southern Gothic!", he said when relating the story. Lee denied the story and remained angry at Capote until his death. Lee was asked why she called Capote a psychopath and she said "because he thought the rules didn't apply to him." Well, that doesn't make a person a psychopath. Truman Capote wasn't one; he was just a very unhappy, tormented little man.

by Anonymousreply 50July 11, 2015 8:51 PM

Once more for anyone who cares to be accurate, though it appears few do in this thread.

Maybe it would be simpler to just label both as "antisocial personality disorder".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51July 11, 2015 8:58 PM

Calm down R50. It's not as though this thread was opened up solely to forensic psychologists. What do you expect?

As for Capote, there is also the way he was enthralled by those killers who were the subject of In Cold Blood. Also, Harper Lee was right about the rules not applying to him in his own mind. That's a classic symptom (although not enough on its own) of an antisocial disorder

by Anonymousreply 52July 11, 2015 9:03 PM

Vincent Van Gogh, obviously.

by Anonymousreply 53July 11, 2015 9:07 PM

Donatien Alphonse François de Sade

by Anonymousreply 54July 11, 2015 9:08 PM

Geraldo Rivera

by Anonymousreply 55July 11, 2015 9:09 PM

My shrink told me her unprofessional opinion (since she has never treated him) is that Kayne has serious Anti-Social disorder

by Anonymousreply 56July 11, 2015 9:09 PM

But it doesn't take a brainiac to suspect that about Kanye!

by Anonymousreply 57July 11, 2015 9:10 PM

There were always whispers about Picasso.

by Anonymousreply 58July 11, 2015 9:11 PM

von Sternberg and Reifenstahl

by Anonymousreply 59July 11, 2015 9:16 PM

Sean Young, I don't know what her diagnosis is. Probably not anti-social but who knows.

by Anonymousreply 60July 11, 2015 9:18 PM

Klaus Kinski always scared me. Béatrice Dalle of course but what is her diagnosis? Serge Gainsbourg. (Which reminds me to load his music on my iPhone because it is the best summer music ever.) Prince is way off, but what is it? Ditto Sinead O'Connor - did she say she is bipolar?

Phil Spector, obviously - but is a producer an "artist" - I guess so!

by Anonymousreply 61July 11, 2015 9:25 PM

I agree that a lot of these names being bandied about are ridiculous--just because someone is dislikable does not make them a psychopath/sociopath.

Given the actual definition of a psychopath/sociopath given above at r47, I would estimate that the most likely celebrities to fit the bill would be:

Madonna (does not care about anyone, even family members or close friends, other than in terms of how they relate to her and treat her, and easily discards people who once were extremely close to her like her gay but now homeless brother and Caresse Henry)

Mark Wahlberg (extremely violent; seems to care about his nearest and dearest only in terms of how they reflect his own ego; extremely manipulative)

Donald Trump (had nothing to do with his children when they were little other than spend an hour a week with them because he felt he had to; talks about his current wives solely as if they are possessions and reflections of his taste; is unbelievably narcissistic)

Phil Spector (obvious)

OJ Simpson (obvious)

Robert Blake (obvious)

I would guess Rosie O'Donnell has narcissistic personality disorder and is seriously fucked up but is not a sociopath: he seems as if she's genuinely generous to her friends.

I don't know about Tom Cruise or Angelina Jolie. Woody Allen and Daniel Day-Lewis, given their host of emotional problems, are clearly not sociopaths

by Anonymousreply 62July 11, 2015 11:08 PM

Julianne Moore, seriously.

by Anonymousreply 63July 11, 2015 11:22 PM

Sean Hannity AND Sean Young!

by Anonymousreply 64July 12, 2015 12:04 AM

I was just talking about the definition of a psychopath with friends last week. Some of them say they have some of the characteristics, but they also are racked with guilt much the time, and dwell on that guilt constantly. Does that mean they're not a psychopath?

by Anonymousreply 65July 12, 2015 12:17 AM

psychopaths are guilt free. sociopaths can go either way.

by Anonymousreply 66July 12, 2015 12:22 AM

Yeah, a sociopath will still make the psychopathic decisions to serve their wants & needs, but they may feel some guilt in between dastardly deeds

by Anonymousreply 67July 12, 2015 12:31 AM

I have sociopathic tendencies.

Do most people?

by Anonymousreply 68July 12, 2015 12:31 AM

No. And I don't think there is any such thing as what you have self diagnosed.

by Anonymousreply 69July 12, 2015 12:32 AM

R68: its human nature to have the thoughts and impulses. However, if you immediately recognize the error of those ways and fear the consequences, you are probably in the clear.

by Anonymousreply 70July 12, 2015 12:36 AM

A psychopath is the same thing as a sociopath. Those are different names for a person with the same condition.

by Anonymousreply 71July 12, 2015 12:43 AM

I thought a psychopath was a sociopath who has suffered a psychotic break and therefore been ramped up to madness instead of cunning.

I am not an expert, I could be wrong..

by Anonymousreply 72July 12, 2015 12:45 AM

I thought psychopaths were born but sociopaths were made.

by Anonymousreply 73July 12, 2015 12:51 AM

Shannon Doherty seems to be a sociopath. So does Courtney Love. They both will try to crush people who get in their way, and both seem incapable of having friends other than people they try to manipulate for their own ends.

by Anonymousreply 74July 12, 2015 12:53 AM

R74 and yet that description is NPD not sociopath.

by Anonymousreply 75July 12, 2015 12:54 AM

Salvador Dali

by Anonymousreply 76July 12, 2015 12:56 AM

Definitely Lady Gaga.

by Anonymousreply 77July 12, 2015 1:05 AM

Truman Capote wasn't "enthralled" by Dick Hickock and Perry Smith. He had no liking at all for Hickock, although he considered him very useful, due to his ability to remember dates and details. He was closer to Perry Smith, but was not "enthralled" by him. He felt he and Perry Smith had things in common, namely a horrible childhood. In Smith's case it made him a remorseless killer and thief. In Capote's it made him a writer. Some people thought Capote was "in love" with Smith, but I don't think he was. I think he felt very badly for Smith. I think Smith also scared him; maybe when he looked at him he thought "there but for the grace of God go I."

I'd like to know what "rules" Harper Lee thought Capote didn't adhere to. He was a gossipy tale-teller; maybe she considered that very rude and unacceptable. But that doesn't constitute psychopathy.

by Anonymousreply 78July 12, 2015 1:05 AM

Capote:

1. Had an awful childhood.

2. Suffered as an effeminate gay in the Bible Belt.

3. Has the person he is most assiciated with from his formative years suggesting (whatever the reason) that he is one.

4. Wrote enthusiastically about gruesome murderers to the point that In Cold Blood is possibly the work most associated with him and considered by many to be his magnum opus.

5. Befriended, was in love with, took pity on, was excited by (take your pick) a cold blooded killer. This period is the most analyzed of his life thru writing and film (even more than the disco in nyc era).

6. Multiple gossip pieces about awful treatment and humiliation of many people during the studio 54 era.

While he may or may not be an actual sociopath, the above list is enough to make his inclusion on this thread for consideration legitimate...

by Anonymousreply 79July 12, 2015 1:19 AM

Capote was pretty heartless. The least believable parts of his most famous books are sentimental slop he makes up about Holly Golightly's background and Nancy Clutter's best friend (a character he admitted he made up wholesale). Otherwise he only felt sorry for characters if he made them as much like himself as possible (like the protagonist in Other Voices Other Rooms or Perry Smith in In Cold Blood).

He treated his friends like Babe Paley and Slim Keith and Harper Lee pretty ruthlessly. All three women rejected him ultimately for how terribly he treated them.

by Anonymousreply 80July 12, 2015 1:25 AM

How is Angelina a psychopath?

by Anonymousreply 81July 12, 2015 1:33 AM

Courtney Love is definitely a sociopath and so is her Dad - it actually runs in families.

by Anonymousreply 82July 12, 2015 1:36 AM

Did Capote say anything that wasn't a lie?

And wasn't he getting impatient for the killers to be executed so he could finish the book?

How much compassion for them could he have had? Like none really.

by Anonymousreply 83July 12, 2015 2:10 AM

R83: lacking compassion for them as they face execution and using them as a plaything/meal ticket before that bolsters the case for antisocial

by Anonymousreply 84July 12, 2015 2:21 AM

[quote] How is Angelina a psychopath?

She broke my, er, people's hearts.

by Anonymousreply 85July 12, 2015 2:22 AM

R83: if that was your point, I totally agree

by Anonymousreply 86July 12, 2015 2:23 AM

interesting about Capote, you may be right. he betrayed many socialites as well who trusted him.

by Anonymousreply 87July 12, 2015 2:27 AM

"betrayed socialite" seems possibly an oxymoron but OK they were real people with feelings.

by Anonymousreply 88July 12, 2015 2:28 AM

I'm convinced Mickey Rooney was bi-polar based on contradictory reports about I've heard from those who worked with him over the years.

by Anonymousreply 89July 12, 2015 2:48 AM

Donna Mills, Donna Mills, and Donna Mills.

Oh, and Claudia Lonow.

by Anonymousreply 90July 12, 2015 2:58 AM

How can you NOT be 600 pounds by now, R90?

by Anonymousreply 91July 12, 2015 3:02 AM

Hot yoga, R91.

by Anonymousreply 92July 12, 2015 3:05 AM

Ha ha I misunderstood. I thought R90 ate Constance McCashin and then washed her down with Oreos & orange soda...

by Anonymousreply 93July 12, 2015 3:09 AM

The default diagnosis for celebrities is Narcissistic Personality Disorder. It's basically required, no completely sane petson has rhe drive necessary to claw one's way to the.top plus enough charm to win the love of millions.

o yes, moat of you are picking up personality disorder vibes fron famous assholes like Kanye and Madonna and Rosie O, but you're not differentiating between narcissists and sociopaths. FYI the sociopaths are the ones who wouldn't have a problem killing someone to get their way, like O.J. or Courtney Love.

by Anonymousreply 94July 12, 2015 3:23 AM

Shit, sorry about the spelling, I suck at phone typing

by Anonymousreply 95July 12, 2015 3:24 AM

Although, sociopathy doesn't usually manifest in murder. They can also be the one who begins a false rumor at work about their supervisor being a pedophile to get that job. Or, the guy who frames his neighbor for a crime snd sends him to jail so he can but the property and build an expansion.

It's like the old Broadway cliche of the shifty understudy who has the lead shamed, jailed, or murdered to win the starring role... Wasn't that 42nd street?

by Anonymousreply 96July 12, 2015 3:34 AM

No it was All About Eve, cherie

by Anonymousreply 97July 12, 2015 3:42 AM

Thank you R97: my rudimentary knowledge of Broadway is my Achilles heel as a gay

by Anonymousreply 98July 12, 2015 3:45 AM

No problem, and All About Eve is a movie :)

by Anonymousreply 99July 12, 2015 3:52 AM

Its an time ironed plot Im sure there a plenty shows about it as well. :)

by Anonymousreply 100July 12, 2015 3:53 AM

I thought they got rid of the term 'psychopath' and moved it under sociopath. In any case - I hate to armchair diagnose celebs with such a major PD - but Courtney Love, Jonny Depp and possibly Angelina Jolie come to mind.

by Anonymousreply 101July 12, 2015 4:00 AM

My understanding is that both sociopathy & psychopathy are now under the umbrella of the anti social personality disorders

by Anonymousreply 102July 12, 2015 4:25 AM

I doubt most of these people have anything close to psychopathy. Most are probably narcissists but probably not in the psychopathic way.

One of the few actors I've had doubts is Wes Bentley. Not sure exactly for the reasons why but I guess his lifeless eyes are one. I remember reading stories of him being difficult on the sets at some point as well.

by Anonymousreply 103July 12, 2015 4:34 AM

R103: very interesting...

I know him from exactly 3 things which could serve as a type of progression:

1. American Beauty

2. The one where he is the crazy parking attendant who kidnaps Rachel Nichols

3. His mythical character on AHS: freakshow

by Anonymousreply 104July 12, 2015 4:39 AM

R104, creepy acting performances aren't a good way to spot a real sociopath, sometimes it's just a way to spot a good actor. Better to look for a personal life littered with broken friendships, bankrupt business associates, and traumatized ex-lovers. Like, I don't know... Tom Cruise?

Although I don't think he's a textbook sociopath. In our past Datalounge Psychiatric Panel threads, we've mostly discussed narcissism and the autism spectrum, he may be a narcissist (on the autism spectrum) who's been encouraged to behave like a sociopath by his "church" bigwigs, because they like to include celebrities in their games, and they love blackmail material.

by Anonymousreply 105July 12, 2015 4:55 AM

How would Joan Crawford be classified? Was she a sociopath?

by Anonymousreply 106July 12, 2015 5:03 AM

Bing Crosby, Joe Jackson (Michael's father.

by Anonymousreply 107July 12, 2015 5:20 AM

R107 just took the lead

by Anonymousreply 108July 12, 2015 5:21 AM

"How would Joan Crawford be classified? Was she a sociopath?"

She was the most perfect example of narcissistic personality disorder that ever lived!

by Anonymousreply 109July 12, 2015 5:34 AM

R42, this guy is trying to give jim morrison a run for his money LOL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110July 12, 2015 5:47 AM

I really wish some of you would please stop trying to make correlations between people with Autism and Narcissistic disorders. They're nowhere near the same and you are putting false information out there that might really confuse someone and then they wind up hurting someone with Autism, offline or on, because of it. If you're not actually a psychiatrist or M.D., why are YOU sitting around trying to determine who's Autistic, Narcissist, or Psychopaths? Does that not strike you as..ironic?

If it continues I am going to complain to the site administrators because frankly, some of this stuff is just downright abusive. Catty gossip for fun is one thing, but casually flinging medical terms around to label and shame people with these conditions isn't funny or fun: it's irresponsible and cruel. I would bet money, based on many posts I've read on DL that at least a few of the people here do contend with some mental health issues, so, you know, TRY to show a little sensitivity and courtesy. And if you CAN'T and you REFUSE...who's the psychopath?

by Anonymousreply 111July 12, 2015 5:55 AM

R111: that is an epic over reaction. I think ONE poster suggested some people were mistaking a few actors who might be on the high functioning end of the spectrum of autism for narcissists. I don't think anyone is equating those two conditions.

Also, your post would have more credibility if you didn't post the video @ R110 where you injected some young man who isn't even a celebrity in the public eye into the fray of amateur diagnosis...

by Anonymousreply 112July 12, 2015 6:05 AM

"My understanding is that both sociopathy & psychopathy are now under the umbrella of the anti social personality disorders"

Thanks - that's what I thought.

If we are going by DL threads, I guess I would add Kirk Douglas and Bing Crosby.

by Anonymousreply 113July 12, 2015 6:08 AM

"If you're not actually a psychiatrist or M.D., why are YOU sitting around trying to determine who's Autistic, Narcissist, or Psychopaths?"

It's my idea of fun, and if you don't like it you can kiss my hairy ass or fuck off, your choice.

by Anonymousreply 114July 12, 2015 6:10 AM

Robert Blake-Robert Wagner-jay Z-Eddie Murphy-Wendy and Kevin Williams-William Shatner-Lady GaGa-Johnny Depp- All onvlist have been accused or suspected of murder..Scary shit!

by Anonymousreply 115July 12, 2015 6:13 AM

That 'some young man', R112, caused a shit storm 5 years ago when he began telling people whom had HIV that they were just imagining it and if they had a more positive mental attitude they could cure themselves; that cheating on his fiance should be forgive able, but her mental health issues are 'too stressful'; and that anyone who criticizes him is just them putting their problems on his back. These are just SOME of his claims, which he does not retract. He's a pariah and, to quote Brando, 'everything that's disgusting about the Thespian..' He also believes he should be relieved of all his college debt so he can live in NYC, though now he's in SF I think.

I am well familiar with this 'young man', who's almost 40. I'm not 'shoving' him out someplace he hasn't already shoved himself.

by Anonymousreply 116July 12, 2015 4:57 PM

[quote] If it continues I am going to complain to the site administrators

You go, gurl! A poster after my own heart!

by Anonymousreply 117July 12, 2015 5:03 PM

R116 this thread is about a r t i s t s and famous ones at that.

by Anonymousreply 118July 12, 2015 6:01 PM

R89 Probably. Apparently he had his wife and her lover killed in the '60s.

by Anonymousreply 119July 12, 2015 6:26 PM

Cissy Houston

by Anonymousreply 120July 12, 2015 7:21 PM

Truman Capote was a gossip who enraged some people by what he said. But that doesn't constitute psychopathy or being "ruthless."

He wrote something called "Le Cote Basque", which featured thinly-veiled versions of several of his high society acquaintances and aired the "dirty laundry" of New York's social elite. The women the characters were based on recognized themselves immediately and were so offended that they never had anything to do with Capote again, which was rather harsh. It was just a stupid story story. Why all the outcry about it?

Harper Lee turned against Capote after the story he told about her mother, which may or may not be true. At any rate, Harper Lee sounds like she had a few screws loose herself, long before she became an infirm, deaf, blind, confused elderly woman. She's always come across as a woman who has always been trying to hide something.

by Anonymousreply 121July 12, 2015 7:40 PM

"He wrote something called "Le Cote Basque", which featured thinly-veiled versions of several of his high society acquaintances and aired the "dirty laundry" of New York's social elite. The women the characters were based on recognized themselves immediately and were so offended that they never had anything to do with Capote again, which was rather harsh. It was just a stupid story story."

Nonsense! Capote betrayed their friendships by showing he was no true friend and never had been, anyone with sense would have ended their friendship with him after being written about in terms that were both unflattering and too personal. (And if Capote didn't see that coming, it proves he had no sense.)

Using their money or influence to keep him from earning a living, now THAT would have been "rather harsh".

by Anonymousreply 122July 13, 2015 4:12 AM

Marilyn Manson. Once made a friend (someone he was partying with and was high) drive home, and the guy had a fatal accident in his way back.

by Anonymousreply 123July 13, 2015 6:48 AM

Marilyn Manson, drug buddy to the stars.

He must be dealing.

by Anonymousreply 124July 13, 2015 7:01 AM

Marilyn Manson collects children's skeletons and Nazi memerobilia. No wonder Johnny Depp is best friends with him.

by Anonymousreply 125July 14, 2015 10:51 PM

I just saw the documentary Stop at Nothing about Lance Armstrong. God, he is a cold, calculating sociopath. He does appear to be very intelligent though, extremely articulate. His stare could melt steel. He's scary.

I never followed the Armstrong story before because 1) nothing bores me more than cycling and 2) the French hated him so much I could never build up any animosity toward him. Not to mention, all cyclists dope. They always have. What the Europeans hated was that an American beat them at their own fucking boring sport. There was so much hostility directed toward him for years by the Europeans.

Living in Europe, it was always a joke seeing cyclists interviewed. The original Dumb Guys. Eddy Merckx was a super hero and the stupidest man who ever lived.

What I didn't know is that Armstrong didn't just have testicular cancer, he had Stage 3 testicular cancer with metastases to his brain. Made me wonder if the brain cancer could have affected his personality or if he was always just a mean asshole.

by Anonymousreply 126July 22, 2015 6:22 AM

R126, Lance Armstrong epitomizes a certain type of Texan. Lots of them become military officers, business leaders, US presidents. They're usually bright and extremely ambitious but totally missing the gene for human kindness. You can look into their emotionless eyes and see there's nothing there. Pod people, all of them.

by Anonymousreply 127July 22, 2015 6:31 AM

R47 this is such a good assessment (I know there's lots of sarcasm around here but I mean it!)

by Anonymousreply 128July 22, 2015 7:50 AM

I've heard Liam Gallagher called a sociopath but I disagree. Too much emotion when provoked. He is definitely a narcissist though

by Anonymousreply 129July 22, 2015 7:52 AM

Excellent choices OP.

by Anonymousreply 130July 22, 2015 7:59 AM

R47, thanks for your informative post. Bradley Cooper may well be a sociopath. There's a very creepy vibe to him.

by Anonymousreply 131July 22, 2015 8:07 AM

Well, R56, re: Kanye the first time I saw him was at those awards where he took the mic from Taylor Swift to say the best video was from Beyonce. That was seriously really weird. I had never seen T Swift either, the only one I knew of was Beyonce. But still, pretty weird behaviour.

by Anonymousreply 132July 22, 2015 8:09 AM

Agreed on Wes Bentley R103 and R104.

I've often wondered about Michael Weston (born Michael Rubinstein, of the Rubinstein musical dynasty). He seems seriously demented but also very conflicted. Maybe he's just struggling with addiction.

As for an actor playing "crazy" convincingly because he's good, that might also be because he has serious issues of his own. My friend does community theatre and there's a high-functioning schizophrenic in the bunch. Well, the only parts he enjoys playing are the guy who kills his mother as "art", etc. And he's very convincing as a raging lunatic.

by Anonymousreply 133July 22, 2015 8:18 AM

I'm almost positive James Woods is a sociopath. Which is why that psycho Sean Young got with him in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 134July 22, 2015 10:35 AM

R134 I've read James Woods is very nice and down-to-Earth with fans/members of the public. Yes, he's pretty right-wing but he seems to care about people.

by Anonymousreply 135July 22, 2015 12:51 PM

Was Woods always like this, maybe I am completely wrong but I always thought of him as the complete opposite.

by Anonymousreply 136July 22, 2015 1:15 PM

Always like what? Maybe he mellowed with age, glancing at his Twitter, he alternates between angry right-winger (anti-democrat, planned parenthood, Obama tweets) and big old softy (cute dog pics, excited tweets about stuff he's up to, like poker)

by Anonymousreply 137July 22, 2015 1:21 PM

He seems to be the sort of heart-on-sleeve right-winger that thinks abortion is murder, soldiers are heroes, Obama is screwing people over, liberals are Nazis in disguise etc.

by Anonymousreply 138July 22, 2015 1:29 PM

I guess I was completely wrong! He seems like a stupid right wing dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 139July 22, 2015 1:30 PM

Isn't it possible for someone to be a right-wing dumbass politically but pleasant in real life? I definitely don't agree with anti-abortionists but I don't think right wing automatically equals evil. Jimmy Stewart was right wing.

by Anonymousreply 140July 22, 2015 4:51 PM

James Woods is super-homophobic, posted shit after the Supreme Court decision. There goes the theory he was Jodie Foster's sperm donor.

by Anonymousreply 141July 22, 2015 7:55 PM

The mother of all the Kardashians, that Kris woman. She's made millions by getting her children to sell themselves, in sex tapes, on reality TV, in exploitative marriages, rumors of not famewhoring but real prostitution, etc. And the one child of hers who isn't salable, the fat boy, seems to be suicidal.

If that's not the track record of a sociopath, you tell me what is.

by Anonymousreply 142July 23, 2015 12:38 AM

Nah R129, Liam's alright. He's just sensitive. He also got knocked on the head with a hammer as a kid.

As for his admittedly cock-like behaviour, like his brother Noel he was a heavy-drug user for a long time and was an attention-seeking performer by vocation even before he touched substances. I imagine he was very high-maintenance as a young man but what does anyone expect, really? Probably doesn't help him growing up watching his deadbeat father smack his poor mother and Noel about.

by Anonymousreply 143June 28, 2017 2:13 PM

Eminem.

by Anonymousreply 144June 28, 2017 2:18 PM

R47, that was really helpful. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 145June 28, 2017 3:22 PM

DLers, "The Sociopath Next Door" is a great read. Its author, Martha Stout, a psychologist, was on the clinical faculty of the Harvard Medical School for over 25 years

She basically uses "sociopath" and "psychopath" interchangeably, but does address the field's opinions on the difference (mainly origin, IIRC).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146June 28, 2017 3:38 PM

OP=Brad's legal team.

by Anonymousreply 147June 28, 2017 3:52 PM

Y'all forgot poison face cream reckless driver boy

by Anonymousreply 148June 28, 2017 3:54 PM

[quote]Its an time ironed plot

Uh, wut?

by Anonymousreply 149June 28, 2017 4:52 PM

Russell Crowe

by Anonymousreply 150June 28, 2017 8:25 PM

The OP is a clear psychopath.

Or pathological Hater.

by Anonymousreply 151June 28, 2017 8:42 PM

John Waters, but it's pretty obvious as he has an unhealthy obsession with serial killers, is not a nice person, and only cares about himself.

by Anonymousreply 152February 19, 2018 1:23 AM

Just read about Lawrence Tierney. He was right at the point of becoming A list and ugh....he couldn't hide it anymore. An absolute dangerous, violent psychopath. Someone should write a movie based on his life and let Jon Hamm play the part.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153February 19, 2018 1:35 AM

Hollywood and politics are rampant with narcissists. If they hurt their own children, either publicly or privately, behind the scene, they are sociopaths.

by Anonymousreply 154February 19, 2018 1:49 AM

Charlize Theron

by Anonymousreply 155February 19, 2018 2:01 AM

I met Johnny Depp. He is absolutely 100% not a psychopath. He was considerate, and had a warm smile.

There is no question, though, that he's been an addict for 25 years, and it finally caught up with him.

by Anonymousreply 156February 19, 2018 2:06 AM

R21, Harper Lee also had a major grudge against Truman because Truman started some outlandish rumor that he was the real author of To Kill a Mockingbird, that he basically ghostwrote it for her.

by Anonymousreply 157February 19, 2018 2:15 AM

I meant to type R121

by Anonymousreply 158February 19, 2018 2:16 AM

Robert Mapplethorpe.

by Anonymousreply 159February 19, 2018 2:17 AM

I don't believe you need to be a psychiatrist/MD or a psychologist to recognize these people if you grew up with them, surrounded by it.

I am not discounting their decade or so of education and training. I just think if one grew up around it they have seen things most never see or can even begin to imagine. Since these disorders tend to run in families people who grew up around it saw what many experts have never seen. Most experts have book theory and knowledge and hear the victim's side of the story in the comfort of their office, without actually witnessing the daily emotional torment and physical violence, experiencing the terror as a lifestyle.

And, if one parent was a psychopath or sociopath, and a sibling or two were also, or maybe a narcissist or a borderline, chances are also that the extended family, meaning their parents' siblings and at least one of their kids (so aunts, uncles and cousins too) have one of these disorders as well. That's a hell of a lot of crazy to be surrounded by on a daily or regular basis. They are also seeing the crazy from many different angles and under a wide variety of circumstances.

Those who grew up around this insanity and madness and survived it also tend to marry a person like their crazy, toxic abusive parent(s) because it's the familiar, so to speak. Although the marriage doesn't usually last very long. By the time they are middle-aged they have witnessed thousands of incidents, what most never see behind closed doors, and have also experienced being married to one as well. They have up-close and personal experience.

I'd say they are experts, although they certainly aren't qualified to counsel or treat the victims. But they know the difference between these disorders and exactly what each looks like and can sense it almost instantly, like a sixth sense, just as well if not better than someone with a doctorate or MD who didn't grow up with it and wasn't exposed to the day-to-day realities. Again, I am not discounting or discrediting professionals. I just know people like this. They are experts evaluating/assessing these people, although they are very discreet about their warnings. They have even told me what the crazy person was up to and what he/she would do next and were right on target every time.

They hold university undergraduate degrees but are in an unrelated field and don't have the advanced degree or clinical experience, but what they do have is the actual front-row seat experience. They can spot a psychopath from a sociopath and know the difference between them and a narcissist. How could they not after so many decades of living it everyday for decades until they finally break free.

by Anonymousreply 160February 19, 2018 2:45 AM

Tom Cruise. The Matt Lauer interview, multiple marriages, couch jumping, etc...make it kind of obvious.

by Anonymousreply 161February 19, 2018 3:52 AM

Robert Wagner, young, =Preppy Killer Chambers

by Anonymousreply 162February 19, 2018 5:08 AM

R155 How is Charlize a psychopath?

I never understood DL hatred towards her.

she does a lot of charity work in her own country. What do you do for other people in your life, dlers?

by Anonymousreply 163February 19, 2018 5:49 AM

Theron is crazy without fashion sense and no outstanding facial features. Maybe her nose job.

by Anonymousreply 164February 19, 2018 6:13 AM

Dear OP, you are naive to believe any gossip about Hitchcock from that scarecrow.

She was catatonic imitation of Dina Merrill in The Birds. And he didn't want for that second film but he rattled that Grace Kelly dumped on him.

She is an unemployed has been.

by Anonymousreply 165February 19, 2018 6:54 AM

Jared Leto immediately comes to mind.

by Anonymousreply 166February 19, 2018 7:05 AM

David O'Russell

Katherine Hepburn

Camille Cosby

by Anonymousreply 167February 19, 2018 7:44 AM

R163, it's envy. They know that they will never come near to creating anything like the magnificence of her performance in "Monster."

by Anonymousreply 168February 19, 2018 8:04 AM

Marc Morrison (Return of the Mac)

Morrison has faced various criminal charges during his career including a 1997 conviction for attempting to bring a firearm aboard an airliner for which he served three months just as his hit song "Return of the Mack" began rising up the US Billboard charts.[2][3] In 1998, he failed to appear in court on charges of possessing an offensive weapon, choosing to instead fly to Barbados. He was arrested and remanded into custody upon his return to the United Kingdom.[4][5] He was later cleared of the offensive weapon charge.[6] In 1999, there was an altercation with a local youth in Leicester city centre named later as Matthew Milnes in which an altercation escalated so seriously that the police had to use tear gas to bring the incident to a close.

In 1999, he was convicted for armed robbery for holding up an off licence.

He was convicted of affray for his part in a brawl resulting in one fatality and sentenced to community service.[3] Morrison later was incarcerated in Wormwood Scrubs for a year for paying a lookalike to perform his court-appointed community service in his stead, while Morrison himself went on tour.[3][7] While in prison, Morrison reportedly converted to Islam and attempted to change his name to Abdul Rahman.[8] Also in 1998, Morrison was banned from driving for six months and fined £1,380 after twice being caught driving without a licence.[9]

In 2002, Morrison was arrested on suspicion of kidnapping and car theft.[10] He was released on bail but a policeman was later arrested on suspicion of taking a bribe from Morrison in return for his release.[10] Morrison failed to appear in court to face the charges and a warrant was issued for his arrest.[10]

In 2004, he was arrested and spent a night in custody, after a fracas in which a platinum and diamond medallion was snatched from around his neck during a confrontation at a Leicester nightclub.[11]

In 2009, Morrison was arrested for an assault in London.[12]

by Anonymousreply 169February 19, 2018 9:27 AM

R163, I think some people here hate her because she lets her son wear dresses. Freaks them out.

Now I doubt she's a nice sweet person as you don't claw your way from the back end of Afrikaaner hell to the top of the Hollywood heap by being a nice sweet person, but calling her a psychopath is a bit silly.

by Anonymousreply 170February 19, 2018 9:36 AM

Charlize for sure

by Anonymousreply 171February 19, 2018 12:10 PM

R171, I can see that. Just based on her background, how she comes across and her transgender son, I can see something like that.

by Anonymousreply 172February 19, 2018 3:10 PM

R172 silly

by Anonymousreply 173February 20, 2018 5:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!