Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Where do men fine those taut, perfectly fitting shirts??

I have tons of shirts but nothing as perfectly fitting as I see on a lot of men. Granted, most of them have perfect bodies, which help, but where do men go to find those perfectly pressed, taut-not a wrinkle to be seen shirts?

by Anonymousreply 50May 15, 2020 6:31 PM

The shape of your body does matter a lot. Clothes fit better when your body is in better shape.

If you have moobs and a big belly a form fitting shirt is going to do you no favors.

Other than that it really can be a simple as just buying the size that fits the way you want to.

by Anonymousreply 1July 8, 2015 1:58 PM

No, clothes do NOT fit better when you're in shape. They fit better when you have no shape. Male models ideally are 40" chest and 30" waist. This allows the designers to pad them up or slim them down. They basically are sticks with a slight taper you can work with.

When I worked out I had a 46" chest and 32" waist, and all my clothes looked like crap, unless I had them tailored, which was very costly.

So if you are buying off the rack and they look good, you can bet you have a lean thin build. Or you can look good by getting them tailored.

by Anonymousreply 2July 8, 2015 2:54 PM

r2, not really. A skinny dude does not look better in clothes than a buff brolic dude.

by Anonymousreply 3July 8, 2015 2:57 PM

Find a tailor. Shirts on sale plus tailoring is a better investment than a pricey shirt that fits like shit.

by Anonymousreply 4July 8, 2015 3:11 PM

What do the tailors do with the shirts?

As in, what can they fix?

by Anonymousreply 5July 8, 2015 5:35 PM

If you don't have a lean or buff/lean body, don't buy the Slim Fit. Buy the Classic Fit and do some tailoring if you must.

I don't think most men need to have dress shirts fit like a second skin, or look especially good in them.

by Anonymousreply 6July 8, 2015 6:25 PM

I hate it when they poof out around the waistband when tucked in. Are they just cut in a square?

by Anonymousreply 7July 8, 2015 6:35 PM

R7 I hate that too!! That poofing can be easily fixed by a tailor but why the heck is it there in the first place??

Looks so much better on a man without that poof.

by Anonymousreply 8July 8, 2015 6:48 PM

R5, I bought an expensive new peacoat and later decided it was too small. I'd worn it, so I couldn't return it. Selling it through Craig's List seemed too bothersome. I could have given it to Goodwill, but instead gave it to my nephew. It was too big for him, so I took him to my tailor.

The tailor "took it in" by cutting it down the center of the back, and removing some of the fabric there and then sewing it back up to tighten-up the fit. Then he took the cuffs in a bit. It worked pretty well. It cost $60 for the tailor, but that was not bad to produce something my nephew might use for a decade.

by Anonymousreply 9July 8, 2015 7:00 PM

One of the best places to shop for "slim fitting" clothes for men, is Zara. The prices are quite reasonable and the fit is always form fitting without all the unneeded length is sleeves while chest and waist are clearly defined.

by Anonymousreply 10July 8, 2015 7:02 PM

If you have excess poofyness at the waist, it might be that you need a "fitted shirt". I mean the off-the-shelf type of shirt that is sold for a slimmer body. I wore them throughout the 1980s and 1990s, until I hit middle age spread. Anyway, "fitted" in this case does not mean "hand customized". Fitted shirts are in contrast to shirts sold as "regular" cut shirts. When I was thin, a regular shirt would have given me this puffiness.

It was hard to find these fitted shirts in those days. Eventually I found that JC Penny had a good selection. I'd bet that you could find them on the Internet today.

My brother today has his dress work shirts custom made. He's usual frugal, so maybe it's not expensive if you find the right store.

by Anonymousreply 11July 8, 2015 7:09 PM

Oh, OP, I also found that wearing a T-shirt under a dress shirt made me look to be in better shape. I suspect for the über fit, the undershirt might not help, but if you're thin, it might help.

by Anonymousreply 12July 8, 2015 7:13 PM

R11 Fitted shirts have become more and more common thankfully--I buy them almost anywhere like Macy's, Banana Republic etc.

by Anonymousreply 13July 8, 2015 7:24 PM

Zachary Quinto looked great in his shirt in the movie Margin Call.

I kept thinking while watching that,"How do I get my shirts to fit like that?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 8, 2015 7:27 PM

[quote]Oh, OP, I also found that wearing a T-shirt under a shirt made me look to be in better shape.

A form fitting tshirt or wife beater under a shirt is a good way to help if you have just a little extra weight. Gives you a fitter appearance.

by Anonymousreply 15July 8, 2015 7:36 PM

Where do you find a good tailor?

by Anonymousreply 16July 8, 2015 8:53 PM

the yellow pages

by Anonymousreply 17July 8, 2015 9:08 PM

R16 Yelp

by Anonymousreply 18July 8, 2015 9:09 PM

SPANX for Men, bitches. Get with the program.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 8, 2015 9:18 PM

[R2] Tell me more mmm you sound hot. Did you have bulging biceps, and could you bounce your pecs??

by Anonymousreply 20July 8, 2015 9:20 PM

[quote] Where do you find a good tailor?

Mine is also my neighborhood dry cleaner. Maybe you should could look at that? Or ask your friends., or Google.

by Anonymousreply 21July 8, 2015 9:23 PM

Is that what society is coming to? People having to ask a message board how to find a tailor?

by Anonymousreply 22July 8, 2015 10:53 PM

You don't need a tailor to have a tailored fit shirt! Many brands offer tailored fit, slim fit, or athletic fit. Of course they look great on young men with little fat. Skinny or fit, doesn't matter, just not too much fat. I was admiring the back muscles of a young Italian guy on the bus the other day, with his perfectly fit tight shirt.

Cheap chains make them, too, you know. Zara, etc. Cheap, and they look good on young men.

by Anonymousreply 23July 8, 2015 11:18 PM

Bonobos. You can't go wrong and, no, I don't work for them.

by Anonymousreply 24July 8, 2015 11:25 PM

[quote] SPANX for Men, bitches. Get with the program.

No, YOU get with the program. It's all about YUMMY TUMMY, bitch!

Holla!

by Anonymousreply 25July 8, 2015 11:31 PM

In Europe. American shirts look like parachutes.

by Anonymousreply 26July 8, 2015 11:58 PM

Zara? Are you guys poor?

by Anonymousreply 27July 9, 2015 12:21 AM

Young guys who look hot in tight shirts are poor, so yeah, Zara!

by Anonymousreply 28July 9, 2015 1:56 PM

Pocket gays can purchase in the boys' or junior women department.

Shirts from the husky sizes offer a tightness around your pecs and make your arms pop while not being too long in the tail.

Shirts from junior women's department makes room for pecs, but you have to avoid poofy sleeves, buttons, and epaulettes.

Also, if you see any shirts having heavy elastane content, simply purchase one size smaller and stop feeding your fat face after 3pm.

by Anonymousreply 29July 9, 2015 2:07 PM

Have them made for you.

by Anonymousreply 30July 9, 2015 3:25 PM

[quote]No, clothes do NOT fit better when you're in shape.

"In shape" is a vague and highly relative term, jackass. The dumbass things you read here sometimes....

by Anonymousreply 31July 9, 2015 3:45 PM

I'm thin and haven't been in Brooks Brothers for a while as there stuff is too big for me. Walked by one of their stores yesterday and noticed they have a clearance sale and although I hardly find things on sale that I like, I went in anyway. I walked out with a perfect fitting slim cut shirt for 50% off- $39- all cotton. Good quality merchandise there. Didn't find anything else but definitely worth the stop. Never been in Zara- thought they were mostly women's clothes. How's the quality?

by Anonymousreply 32July 9, 2015 4:38 PM

Quality of Zara is pretty shitty but when it goes on sale its also very inexpensive.

by Anonymousreply 33July 9, 2015 4:42 PM

I buy athletic cut shirts. They fit me perfectly with no poofiness at the waist.

by Anonymousreply 34July 9, 2015 5:15 PM

Wrong r2

by Anonymousreply 35January 24, 2016 3:21 PM

....you have to do the "military tuck" for excess fabric.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 24, 2016 3:38 PM

Some of the very fitted ones now have a small percentage of spandex in them. I bought one not knowing. Problem is you can't really bleach them the same or iron them as hot.

by Anonymousreply 37January 24, 2016 3:43 PM

Bleach them? I never bleach my shirts

by Anonymousreply 38January 24, 2016 3:44 PM

The problem is that most DLers are too fat for clothes to fit right.

by Anonymousreply 39April 25, 2020 5:02 PM

J Crew makes decent fitted dress shirts with a little bit of stretch. I always get them on sale

by Anonymousreply 40April 25, 2020 5:25 PM

OP what were you thinking by not posting a picture? Why would you not post a picture? That's so rude that you come here and create a post like this but then you don't post a picture to use as an example. What kind of person would do this type of thing? Who? A very, very selfish, self centered person who is only thinking of themselves. OP you didn't even think of others and the fact that we may have NO idea what you're talking about and we have to either google your shitty subject or wait for someone else to post a picture that you should have done in the first place. That's just RUDE OP and it speaks poor of your parents as well. You need to grow up OP. Realize that not everyone lives in your little rat infested world and post a picture of the crap you see in that shit brain of yours. Grow up OP.

by Anonymousreply 41April 25, 2020 5:28 PM

Sexy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42May 15, 2020 3:33 PM

My proportions are just not suited for American clothes, OP. Shoulders on US-made clothes are always too broad for me, sleeves and shirt tails usually too short.

I realized the first time I went to England, during college, that European-made clothes fit my body: narrower shoulders, longer arms. So I buy clothes from Benetton and other European retailers, and they usually fit my body almost as if they were tailored.

by Anonymousreply 43May 15, 2020 3:46 PM

[quote]Where do men fine those taut, perfectly fitting shirts??

They don't buy shirts sized S, M, L, XL.

The really well-ftting ones are custom made.

The better fitting ones are bought sized by neck and arm length 15.5" / 33". Also, there are usually options for slim fit vs. regular fit vs. "comfort fit" (what used to be considered "husky" sizes for fat people). Finally, in the US, English brands from Jermyn Street tend to be sized slimmer in general.

by Anonymousreply 44May 15, 2020 4:08 PM

[quote] Is that what society is coming to? People having to ask a message board how to find a tailor?

Mary, we are truly at the End of Days!!

by Anonymousreply 45May 15, 2020 4:11 PM

You need to get Athletic/Muscle fit shirts that are cut right and use fabric that contains something like elastane so they have some stretch to them.

by Anonymousreply 46May 15, 2020 4:25 PM

True

by Anonymousreply 47May 15, 2020 4:37 PM

I found some slim fit shirts at Penny's of all places. They have a little lycra mixed in and they're form fitting all the way down. They look more like jersey Tee material and they don't wrinkle much and travel well. I wish for every shirt to fit like these. If they had great prints and colors, they'd make great going out shirts too, but they only come in solid colors so they're work shirts for me.

by Anonymousreply 48May 15, 2020 5:04 PM

"Fast fashion" retailers like H&M make clothes that fit my body well, and a lot of times they don't wrinkle a lot...because they're made with a lot of synthetic fabrics. I've stopped shopping at H&M, Zara, et al. since I found out how much they contribute to pollution.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49May 15, 2020 5:39 PM

Kojofit

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50May 15, 2020 6:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!